Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Monster Mash posted:

FInished my no-kill no-detect Emily run last night and thankfully didnt get hit with that witches bug b/c holy poo poo that would have tilted me.

On the subject of bloodflys, if you murder everyone you come across do you just have an entire world filled with those fuckers?

It seems to make very little difference. I have been highly lethal and still only really see bloodflys in scripted areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

Khagan posted:

I found a workaround for this.

After activating the Oraculum, check all your witches' bodies to find the ones that are dead (this includes the 2 in the alley).

Reload to before you activate the Oraculum, find the culprit witches and proceed to sleep dart their already unconscious bodies.

Activate the Oraculum.

Stun mines at their feet or patrol path.

Yeah, I know how to go about it when I restart the game, and if they haven't already fixed it by then, but I don't have a save from any time before activating the machine.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I noticed Corvo's mask is more refined and less broken looking compared to what it looked like in D1. I wonder if it's the new status symbol for Royal Protectors, with each successor inheriting the mask.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Lakbay posted:

How thorough are you about getting all the charms/runes in a level and picking up all the whalebone in the open? If you're a kleptomaniac then yes it's worth the investment

This, definitely. The game gives you a ton of corrupt/black bonecharms that are either useless (Oh boy, more damage but smaller explosion radius, this is truly what I want. Dogs can't smell me now.) or not worth the slot. You can recycle these to runes pretty readily.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Not being smelled by dogs actually proved to be pretty handy for me by the end, both in the game and in real life

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

at the end of the clockworks mansion the stats said that 5 bodies were detected. Is this because of the witches that show up at the end or did I gently caress up stashing the bodies someplace quiet?

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Bloodflies are a huge letdown. Even on hard, all you need to do with infected areas is run in wildly swinging your sword in the general direction of the nest.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

double nine posted:

Is this because of the witches that show up at the end?

The what?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
What happens if you kill Paolo at the beginning of the clockwork mansion level?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

The Walrus posted:

What happens if you kill Paolo at the beginning of the clockwork mansion level?

You get one of those in-level achievements which says "You killed Paolo... once" and he still shows up in the Dust district because you didn't kill him twice.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Any particularly good/bad skills I should prioritize/avoid getting as Emily? I'm doing non-lethal if it matters.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

RatHat posted:

Any particularly good/bad skills I should prioritize/avoid getting as Emily? I'm doing non-lethal if it matters.
Domino and Shadow Walk.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Get shadow walk and make monster noises with your mouth as you crawl around on the floor, making guards dream bad dreams

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Domino is insane, the fact that it stacks with mesmerize means you can take out entire groups.

Shadow-walk lets you relive those times you were playing as The Darkness, only less eating of hearts. Good stuff.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I'm just getting in to the Clockwork Mansion as Emily, trying not to kill anybody. Though I got credit for killing a civilian at some unknown point in the second mission.

I appreciate all the liquor that's so potent it bursts into flames when exposed to air. Although there was a point in Addlemire where I sleep-darted a guard, he passed out on top of a bottle of booze, and the fire killed him and his buddy horribly.

I also appreciate carrying a bottle of liquor in one hand and still being able to grapnel around. I like delivering liquor to bloodfly nests. Those bloodflies are too uptight, they could all use a stiff drink.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I kind of hope a patch buffs bloodflies. They're really creepy but once you realize how non-threatening they are it kind of nukes the atmosphere.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

IMJack posted:

I appreciate all the liquor that's so potent it bursts into flames when exposed to air. Although there was a point in Addlemire where I sleep-darted a guard, he passed out on top of a bottle of booze, and the fire killed him and his buddy horribly.

Haha I know exactly where this happened.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
killing everyone in the first mission screws up chaos a lot. i've killed 5 people in the 2 after and i'm still high. didn't have powers to escape with then :v:

how useful is bone charm crafting? I'm playing as emily and have gone for movement abilities + domino so far

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I spent 20ish hours playing with a controller because of the crap mouse problems, but now that I figured out my keybinds and fixed the floaty mouse OF COURSE I restarted my Emily low-chaos run.

A couple of stray observations:
-KBM controls feel much better once I assigned the power wheel to TAB and choke/block to Middle-Mouse. I initially used Mouse 4 for choke/block, however I keep my mouse in a pretty tight grip so I prefer keeping my thumb & pinky anchored during play.
-Using the Heart to collect all the bone charms/runes is super fun and is about as OCD as I'm letting myself go with hunting secrets on this run. Google-scumming for all the blueprints & paintings is something I'll save for later.
-The game has 3 campaign slots which is nice but also kind of a bummer for replays - guess I'll make slots 1 and 2 for my more serious runs and 3 for gimmicks. No way to avoid overwrites that I'm aware of.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Why would you ever have more than 3 concurrent playthroughs though

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Roman Reigns posted:

I noticed Corvo's mask is more refined and less broken looking compared to what it looked like in D1. I wonder if it's the new status symbol for Royal Protectors, with each successor inheriting the mask.

the mask was made exclusively for Corvo by Piero, Corvo even says at one point "How many people have forgotten this mask"

As for why it looks less broken looking Will Harvey said in some reddit AMA that the mask is influenced by the outsider slightly

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Digirat posted:

Why would you ever have more than 3 concurrent playthroughs though

I dunno, I've not done it before but I imagine some people might not want to have to overwrite them to keep a memorialized run? In other games I liked to archive my old savegames just in case, I don't think that's possible in DH2 like it was in DH1 because of the campaign slots.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I kind of hope a patch buffs bloodflies. They're really creepy but once you realize how non-threatening they are it kind of nukes the atmosphere.

Agreed. Given you can avoid taking them on entirely if you're stealthy, they really need to buff their damage considerably. Or give them a DOT effect since they're supposed to be injecting you with venom.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

When news first came out that Thief was getting a remake, I remember wishing that the plot would be about the little girl Garret picks up at the end of Thief: Deadly Shadows. I knew this would never happen, and that we'd get the low effort rehash that they ended up shoving out the door.

But it occurs to me how much this game is exactly what I wanted. Bless you Arkane Studios, for keeping the dream alive.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Jose posted:

how useful is bone charm crafting? I'm playing as emily and have gone for movement abilities + domino so far
If you want to get into this at all, you should get the ability to stack the same enchantment multiple times in one charm. Otherwise, the only benefit to crafting charms is to save bonecharm slots, but for that you can just purchase more pouches at any shopkeeper.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Agreed that blood flies are not very threatening, to the point that it hurts the atmosphere/tension of clearing their nests. I like to be careful about them and take out the nests with ranged weapons and such, but then I remember there is no reason to care when I can just charge in and hack them apart because they do so little damage. One or two jellied eels and you're good as new

Their mechanics are fine and they are already creepy as hell so this is one case where you probably could just solve the problem with "make the enemy do more damage"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In fact they are so nonthreatening that I wonder if they were worse in development and testers said they were too tedious to deal with or something, until they got overtuned to the point of triviality. Maybe keep them a joke on easy and not bad on normal, but make a feature of hard and very hard that bloodflies are now some serious poo poo and you don't want to just attack their nests with your sword

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I loving love this game. I think I saw my playtime clocked at 22 hours or something and I'm on chapter 7. I'm just walking around exploring literally everywhere before I leave a chapter. I feel like that's a long time since a friend told me they beat the game in like 2 days. That would make sense to me if you just went in and assassinated the target and left. But I can't do that because there's so much poo poo to find I can't help it.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Digirat posted:

Get shadow walk and make monster noises with your mouth as you crawl around on the floor, making guards dream bad dreams

I make predator clicking noises a lot while playing this game.

I feel this is the mark of a good game.

And now I need to buy Doppleganger.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Capn Beeb posted:

I make predator clicking noises a lot while playing this game.

I feel this is the mark of a good game.

Yeah I wasn't joking, I literally do make noises when I'm crawling around as a little carpet monster, because this game is good and makes me unashamed

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

If I killed Paolo at the black market is it going to gently caress me over if I decide to side with him in the dust district?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I killed him and then chose that side later and there was no problem.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

This game is so, so pretty.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

I killed him and then chose that side later and there was no problem.

Nice, glad he's chill about it at least. People probably kill him all the time for the novelty of it.

Everybody gets one.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Holy heck, I just bumped into a civilian so hard that he flew backward through a storefront window, killing him instantly.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Skippy McPants posted:

This game is so, so pretty.

it really is the prettiest game ever imo. and it's in a way that you almost don't notice, until you do and are like "holy poo poo"

like the entry area at attermire, the lighting is *perfect*, the silhouetting effects are insanely good (like if you're in a dim room and someone's standing against a window, you can't see their features at all).

this game is really special and any issues I have with gameplay are more than countered by the level and graphic design which is maybe the best ever in a game

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

https://gfycat.com/VeneratedAllAntlion

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

how did he get over there?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
yeah, I never saw him anywhere but holed up in his lab.

*well that's dedication!

uber_stoat fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The guy who posted it on reddit said he basically had to drag/ far reach him over and over to get him there.

• Locked thread