Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Murder One is a lovely track but its title and its repeating line "born to lose, live to win" makes it seem like it was a tribute to Lemmy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Laserface posted:

Murder One is a lovely track but its title and its repeating line "born to lose, live to win" makes it seem like it was a tribute to Lemmy.

murder one was the name of lemmy's main amp

there's a bunch of lame motorhead song title references in the song. sadly they left out the best one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-eUHWVx2WE

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The Muppets On PCP posted:

murder one was the name of lemmy's main amp

there's a bunch of lame motorhead song title references in the song. sadly they left out the best one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-eUHWVx2WE

Yeah, I have been a pretty big Motorhead fan but listening at work the tag line kinda jumped out at me. I will go for a listen to find the rest.

Best Motorhead song is Death or Glory btw.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Lars Ulrich is #42 on Modern Drummer's 50 Greatest Drummers of All Time which is a totally legit list we should all respect and certainly not throw in the trash the second we see his name upon it unless it appeared in the April 1 issue of the magazine (it didn't).

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

yep

kirk hammett wrote the enter sandman riff that made them gazillionaires and he's still a lovely guitarist slowly getting worse as his aging body fails him

As a dude whose aging body is failing him, I

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

fritz posted:

As a dude whose aging body is failing him, I
bob rock was responsible for that song anyway

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

This is loving great and now I'm bummed I missed these guys when they came here back in April.

edit: "You People" loving SLAYS.

Popular Human fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 17, 2016

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
i've been listening to the new Ulcerate album non-stop since it dropped almost a month ago

it is absolutely devastating DM, definite AOTY contender.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I am "one of those" Metallica fans.

But this album is definitely better than Death Magnetic. The songs ARE still too long, Lars loving sucks, but the songs do feel a lot more cohesive. There's some loving killer riffs too. It's a tad repetitive (mind you, RTL, MOP and AJFA are literally the exact same album each time...) but the guitar and vocal harmonies are putting a lot of colour in this that was lacking from DM. Kirk's even played a few bits that were quality.

I think as a whole, the album could do with a trim, but if you've ever liked Metallica, it's well worth your time.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Weaponized Cum posted:

May as well just dump the sequencers & faux bass modules, pick up a guitar, a bass & a drum set, & make some REAL dark Music. It's called Metal, & has many shades ranging from Thrash Metal to Melodic Death Metal to Satanic Death Metal to Black Metal to Blackened Death Metal to Ambient Metal to Grind to Industrial & many other sub-genres. Techno music is for fourth graders.

Counterpoint: Turmion Katilot

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Weaponized Cum posted:

May as well just dump the sequencers & faux bass modules, pick up a guitar, a bass & a drum set, & make some REAL dark Music. It's called Metal, & has many shades ranging from Thrash Metal to Melodic Death Metal to Satanic Death Metal to Black Metal to Blackened Death Metal to Ambient Metal to Grind to Industrial & many other sub-genres. Techno music is for fourth graders.

The best metal music i've heard come out of the last year has actually been dark synthwave so I'm getting a kick out of an opinion that reeks of that weird & lovely territoriality that is almost completely dead outside of certain kinds of metalheads. Obviously music is subjective and my tastes clearly ain't yours, but its worth pointing out that just because you dont like a genre doesn't actually strip it of merit.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm gonna guess Weaponized Cum is doing that trendy goon thing of quoting some dork from elsewhere without actually using quote tags or anything, because apparently that's funny or something

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Whoo, just remembered I'm gong to see Entombed AD and Voivod tonight in London. Third support Conan dropped out, so we have Lord Dying & Morbid Evils, neither I have heard before now.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Probably the best version of this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXJifYl_byU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Have only listened to a few tracks so far, but I'm shocked... just shocked, that this isn't terrible considering how bad Atlas Rise and Hardwired were.

Spit out the Bone and Now That We're Dead are solid tracks. Some good riffs in there, and Kirk even had a decent solo in Bone. Probably his first good one since AJFA. Now only if they cut about 2.5 minutes out of the middle of them, it would be much better.

Color me surprised that this is actually listenable. I don't think I've listened to DM since about 2 weeks after release.

back then it took us a minimum of three to four days. For each song I had a big envelope full of bits of two‑inch tape that I had chopped out, and I remember joking to Lars that they should hold a competition for the fans, enabling them to win lost bits from his drum tracks... He didn't find that at all amusing.

loving :lol:

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

basic hitler posted:

The best metal music i've heard come out of the last year has actually been dark synthwave...

Would you mind posting a link or two? I'd enjoy checking out what this is all about. Thanks.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Probably his first good [solo] since AJFA.
The Unforgiven is one of my favorite guitar solos ever put to record, but that's basically Bob Rock again.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Weaponized Cum posted:

Congrats on finding my tinder profile

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

TheIllestVillain posted:

i've been listening to the new Ulcerate album non-stop since it dropped almost a month ago

it is absolutely devastating DM, definite AOTY contender.

Probably preaching to the choir, but be sure and listen to the new Gorguts, for a similar aesthetic + level of quality.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Would you mind posting a link or two? I'd enjoy checking out what this is all about. Thanks.

look up perturbator, kavinsky, carpenter brut, mitch murder

a few of those guys like perturbator were in black metal bands and poo poo before doing electronic music

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

DEAR RICHARD posted:

it also stands out a little that the overdubbed tom roll from Now That We're Dead is in two other songs.

I'm not bashing him, or the album, I'm just saying.

The drums on the new metallica are really obviously sampled and it drives me nuts. It's not really that uncommon a practice honestly but at least do it well. Whenever he plays any kind of snare roll you can hear that it's just the same high-velocity sample being triggered over and over and sounds fake as poo poo.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

look up perturbator, kavinsky, carpenter brut, mitch murder

a few of those guys like perturbator were in black metal bands and poo poo before doing electronic music

Thanks for the names. I'm not hearing anything remotely "metal" in any of this, but whatev--it's interesting in its own way.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al7rzFSjdgs

power trip has a new album coming out soon

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al7rzFSjdgs

power trip has a new album coming out soon

Kool. It has been a really good year, maybe better than 2013. I mean that only in reference to metal, otherwise 2016 can blow me. But y'all gotta listen to new Gorguts, Ulcerate, Vektor, Mare Cognitum, Sinistrous Diablous, Blood Incantation, and Plebian Grandstand. What did I miss this year? Please do not say the new Metallica.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

david crosby posted:

Kool. It has been a really good year, maybe better than 2013. I mean that only in reference to metal, otherwise 2016 can blow me. But y'all gotta listen to new Gorguts, Ulcerate, Vektor, Mare Cognitum, Sinistrous Diablous, Blood Incantation, and Plebian Grandstand. What did I miss this year? Please do not say the new Metallica.

Chth'eilist

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

david crosby posted:

What did I miss this year? Please do not say the new Metallica.

oranssi pazuzu

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Holy lord! Vektor blew my mind last night, I'm still recovering. Also Witchhaven, Black Fast, and Solar Wimp were dope as hell.

They Played:

Terminal Redux
In it's
Entirety
Holy poo poo
Also a three song encore:
Astroid
Tetrastructal Minds
Some Circle Pit ripper?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Rudest Buddhist posted:

Holy lord! Vektor blew my mind last night, I'm still recovering. Also Witchhaven, Black Fast, and Solar Wimp were dope as hell.

They Played:

Terminal Redux
In it's
Entirety
Holy poo poo
Astroid
Tetrastructal Minds
Some Circle Pit ripper?

god drat i am so jealous

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

That's probably why they're not very good at making electronic music

david crosby posted:

Arizmenda, Bolzer, Black Priest of Satan, Head of the Demon, Inquisition, Agatus, Irkallian Oracle, Hexenslaught, Demon Bitch, Barrow Wight, probably a few others. There's a few albums yet to come out that should be good too, like the new Demontage, the Legacies Unchained album from 2004, maybe the Altar of Perversion album if it finally comes out, Vassafor second album, and so on.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

A human heart posted:

That's probably why they're not very good at making electronic music

Arizmenda, Bolzer, Black Priest of Satan, Head of the Demon, Inquisition, Agatus, Irkallian Oracle, Hexenslaught, Demon Bitch, Barrow Wight, probably a few others. There's a few albums yet to come out that should be good too, like the new Demontage, the Legacies Unchained album from 2004, maybe the Altar of Perversion album if it finally comes out, Vassafor second album, and so on.

Idk how you listen to so much music dude. It's really impressive; I listen 2 music for like 6 hours a day and have only heard of maybe half of those bands.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rudest Buddhist posted:

They Played:

Terminal Redux
In it's
Entirety
Holy poo poo
Astroid
Tetrastructal Minds
Some Circle Pit ripper?

Now I am very mad that my band chose that day to an all-day and night recording session. I was like "I saw Vektor with Voivod earlier this year, no big deal." But that was before Terminal Redux came out.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Is this the Justice thread?

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Lars Ulrich is #42 on Modern Drummer's 50 Greatest Drummers of All Time which is a totally legit list we should all respect and certainly not throw in the trash the second we see his name upon it unless it appeared in the April 1 issue of the magazine (it didn't).

In other news, 8 drummers now have a bulletproof defamation case against Modern Drummer.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

david crosby posted:

What did I miss this year? Please do not say the new Metallica.

Be'lakor, Insomnium, Inquisition, Anciients. I also like the new Megadeth but yeah

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Klaaz posted:

Be'lakor, Insomnium, Inquisition, Anciients. I also like the new Megadeth but yeah

These, and also the new Anaal Nathrakh

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

david crosby posted:

Ripper

Rudest Buddhist posted:

They Played:

Terminal Redux
In it's
Entirety
Holy poo poo
Astroid
Tetrastructal Minds
Some Circle Pit ripper?

gently caress yeeeeeah. :kheldragar:

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

david crosby posted:

I think the new Vader is pretty good and generally enjoyable for anyone with even a passing interest in death metal.

Also if you're into melodeath Omnium Gatherum's latest (from February) is their best yet.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
perturbator owns

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

This is good, tho not as good as I'd like to imagine a new Demilich record would be. Doesn't quite make the cut of top metal 2016 for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Yeah this is really good. Should've included it in my list.