Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

FactsAreUseless posted:

You bought an av about how much you dislike me?

lol no, I don't even particularly disagree with your unmodding of him, though you sure do make an awful amount of bitchy, condescending posts about it

half the posters in this thread have ironic OH WARLORD MY WARLORD avs, I thought this was a p good new angle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MeLKoR posted:

could you please explain this probation
He was shitposting a bunch while making fun of someone for being mad about shitposting. So I probated him for shitposting. That's all.

As for how on-topic this needs to be, that's up to Beer and Beet. It's pretty crew-chatty and I don't think that'll change or see a reason it needs to. I handed out some sixers to try and move modding discussion to QCS, but that was a losing battle and I'm back here talking about it so eh, whatever. You can't really make people drop a topic when it's contentious, and it was silly to try.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Scruffpuff posted:

It would be a constant loop of deja-vu for everyone in the system. "It's a glitch in the matrix - it happens when they change something." With all the constant "refactoring" the Matrix would be an unending stream of cats. Not unlike this thread.

Fatkraken posted:

"I see a woman in a red dress. There seems to be the translucent outline of a camera superimposed over her torso"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

lol no, I don't even particularly disagree with your unmodding of him, though you sure do make an awful amount of bitchy, condescending posts about it

half the posters in this thread have ironic OH WARLORD MY WARLORD avs, I thought this was a p good new angle
It's actually a pretty neat edit, I was just surprised by it.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

everything is hilarious

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
*ring ring*

MEI LING: Hey Snake, what can I do for you?

SAVE
DO NOT SAVE

SNAKE: I'm 99.999999% sure it's just bullshit from fyad meanies trying to ruin people's fun after they got GBS shut down.

MEI LING: Remember, Snake, "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man how to locate people through extensive NSA computer background checks to zero in their global position coordinates, and you'll make him laugh forever,and not look like a hosed up weirdo who has multiple paid forum accounts and a combined total word count about the fail rear end videogame to outdo the library of congress."

SNAKE: Their pink forum is a retarded circlejerk even worse than this one and they have been hilariously insecure about every fyad-lite.

*Beep*

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

everything is hilarious

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

D_Smart posted:

You guys think you're pissed now? Well then, better get ready for my upcoming blog because it's got some things that nobody saw coming, and which I can 100% guarantee will lead to legal action that will subsequently *force CIG to produce the promised financial accounting for the project - something that most of you are too scared to see happen.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ArfJason posted:

*ring ring*

MEI LING: Hey Snake, what can I do for you?

SAVE
DO NOT SAVE

SNAKE: I'm 99.999999% sure it's just bullshit from fyad meanies trying to ruin people's fun after they got GBS shut down.

MEI LING: Remember, Snake, "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man how to locate people through extensive NSA computer background checks to zero in their global position coordinates, and you'll make him laugh forever,and not look like a hosed up weirdo who has multiple paid forum accounts and a combined total word count about the fail rear end videogame to outdo the library of congress."

SNAKE: Their pink forum is a retarded circlejerk even worse than this one and they have been hilariously insecure about every fyad-lite.

*Beep*
lmao

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

I, as an admin, felt he was a bad mod, because I had to keep declining month-long probations he requested on people who poked fun at him.
That certainly comes as a surprise. Do you have any idea why he never handed out 6 hour probations to people that poked fun at him, which he could do without your approval?

In any case, if he ever asked you to probate me for a month any of the times I mocked him to his face and you declined I am truly grateful, Derek really was a terrible mod.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

100% guaranteed to cause admin action

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MeLKoR posted:

That certainly comes as a surprise. Do you have any idea why he never handed out 6 hour probations to people that poked fun at him, which he could do without your approval?
I don't think he knew he could.

quote:

In any case, if he ever asked you to probate me for a month any of the times I mocked him to his face and you declined I am truly grateful, Derek really was a terrible mod.
Not a clue, I'm only just now starting to learn the names of posters here.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

FactsAreUseless posted:

He was shitposting a bunch while making fun of someone for being mad about shitposting. So I probated him for shitposting. That's all.

As for how on-topic this needs to be, that's up to Beer and Beet. It's pretty crew-chatty and I don't think that'll change or see a reason it needs to. I handed out some sixers to try and move modding discussion to QCS, but that was a losing battle and I'm back here talking about it so eh, whatever. You can't really make people drop a topic when it's contentious, and it was silly to try.

Okay I'ma stop bitching about you now, judging from the QCS thread I bet you get a whole bunch of legit abuse and I don't really judge you for not wanting to mod the thread back in games

I think a lot of the thread's reaction to the Derek ban is in relation to the stuff he has to put up with, he's got an entire subreddit with dozens of creepy stalkers posting abuse about him all day

I don't mean it excuses many of his actions, but people accuse Derek of harassment everyday and they're like 99% full of poo poo

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

I.N.R.I posted:

Hi, just a reminder to call or visit your parents whenever the opportunity presents itself. they raised you with care and love and would like to hear about how life is going for you and what you're getting up to nowadays

I can't; they're SC fans and will no longer talk to me.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Good storytelling requires that the protagonists be at their lowest point before the start of the final act and I'm going to assume that that's what Dereks banning represents in the grand scheme of the Star Citizen Insanity story arc.

Either that or this is just the end of season special that blue-balls you for a year until the start of the next series gently caress you Rick and Morty.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

FWIW MeLKoR I don't think either Beer or I are really interested in going all jackboot to keep this place "on topic", or at least I know I'm certainly not. If you've posted "Tane" a dozen or more posts in a row I'm probably gonna throw you a Sixer, but honestly this place is only ever on topic when there's a current CIG fuckup going on, and sort of functions like a general chat the rest of the time and I think that's both cool and good.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Dark Off posted:

anyway heres more star citizen contend

Riffing off this kind of thing is fine. Maybe not the most creative idea, but fine.

And it would actually be a fun thing to do for anything other than Star Citizen. Trouble is CIG is not even close to having what anyone could charitably call a complete game. Yet they're allocating artists and coders who should be doing real work to this timewasting nonsense that purely serves as marketing to raise more money.

Also to have such a blatant copy of the logo of a real TV show is extremely loving shaky ground when you're trying to sell spaceship jpegs. Maybe it's considered safe as it's a parody, but if someone at Amazon sees it they could still find themselves on the receiving end of a nasty letter.

get a loving refund

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 21, 2016

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Propagandist posted:

Well you see I have a long history of shitposting so I know what it looks like.

Also Marching Powder for IK, I think that would do us some good.

I don't really blame FAU since it was an all of a sudden thing. But making mods out of popularity posters has never been a good thing.
Marching Powder might not be the Mod you all want, but he is the Mod you all need.
And Now I should probate myself for posting a meme.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

FWIW MeLKoR I don't think either Beer or I are really interested in going all jackboot to keep this place "on topic", or at least I know I'm certainly not. If you've posted "Tane" a dozen or more posts in a row I'm probably gonna throw you a Sixer, but honestly this place is only ever on topic when there's a current CIG fuckup going on, and sort of functions like a general chat the rest of the time and I think that's both cool and good.

tbh one of you should roleplay as Chris Mod while the other roleplays as Derek Mod and this thread will be your own War in Heaven battleground where we all swear allegiance to one of you before being smote by the other.

It'll be an allegory on how Angels and Demons are just the same thing and we all become the hero we deserve or some poo poo.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Pilz posted:

I like how we've gone from his loyal servants to "YOU'VE PLAYED RIGHT INTO OUR HANDS, DOOFUS SMIRK!" They're making the puppet master defense on our behalf.

Well, they also believe the crap that CIG tells them, so nothing is beyond belief.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

D1E posted:

Actually...

Mods please convince Lowtax to mail Derek a refund check for $10.

That will really make him lose his poo poo.
Agreed, that'd turn epic very quickly.

Beet Wagon posted:

FWIW MeLKoR I don't think either Beer or I are really interested in going all jackboot to keep this place "on topic", or at least I know I'm certainly not.
This section is but a part of Games and of the larger SA. Since you aren't the ones making the rules and you aren't the only ones enforcing them I just wish to make sure I don't stray away from the path of righteousness and ruin the entire thread with my shitposting.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Arstechnica jumps on the :bandwagon:

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't think he knew he could.

He made a comment once about wanting to give perma-bans for some stuff because anything else was trivial / just a slap on the wrist, but nothing ever came of that, I guess I know why now :v:

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

FactsAreUseless posted:

I, as an admin, felt he was a bad mod, because I had to keep declining month-long probations he requested on people who poked fun at him.

May I respectfully request some proof of this?

Derek vehemently denies this. I honestly don't doubt what you're saying at all, based on his previous fascist moderation on his own forums and Steam discussion boards for his games, etc.

However there is a disconnect here, and someone is obviously lying. If you can demonstrate that Derek was constantly trying to run this thread as a mini-Hitler unbeknownst to us I think that would genuinely assuage some of the hurt feelings about him being deposed.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

MeLKoR posted:

This section is but a part of Games

Wait, Star Citizen is a game? :aaa:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

iron buns posted:

Wait, Star Citizen is a game? :aaa:

No, but there's no DREAMS mainforum, so they had to pick the next most appropriate one.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

D1E posted:

Derek vehemently denies this. I honestly don't doubt what you're saying at all, based on his previous fascist moderation on his own forums and Steam discussion boards for his games, etc.

However there is a disconnect here, and someone is obviously lying. If you can demonstrate that Derek was constantly trying to run this thread as a mini-Hitler unbeknownst to us I think that would genuinely assuage some of the hurt feelings about him being deposed.

also it would be really funny

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
In fairness Derek did sometimes hand out bans for people who were being truly obnoxious/white-noise so I feel that he took the view that he'd rather keep someone around so that he could argue with them rather than just press the delete button and posting in his own personal hate-reddit does speak to that.

On the other hand I think he's banned half the world population from his twitter so idk lol

D1E posted:

Yeah, this. Not that my feelings are hurt but it'd be nice to get a view on who is being the Chris in this situation.

If it's Derek then there's a dumb Nishealjkada quote gently caress it I'm not even going to try and google for the right name.

Nickiepoo fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 21, 2016

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Nickiepoo posted:

tbh one of you should roleplay as Chris Mod while the other roleplays as Derek Mod and this thread will be your own War in Heaven battleground where we all swear allegiance to one of you before being smote by the other.

It'll be an allegory on how Angels and Demons are just the same thing and we all become the hero we deserve or some poo poo.

Oh poo poo, dibs on Chris Mod. I can flail my hands like a motherfucker.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

D1E posted:

No, and none is available. The modqueue isn't saved months back.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012
Now that the goons fight amongst themselves, Star Citizen will come out on time and under budget

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Truly the most fidelitous timeline...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I think a lot of the thread's reaction to the Derek ban is in relation to the stuff he has to put up with, he's got an entire subreddit with dozens of creepy stalkers posting abuse about him all day
I get that. And he's totally welcome to post here. Honestly, part of the problem is that so much of the discussion is about Derek and things involving him. You can't moderate a forum that is basically about you, especially when it's one part of a much larger forum.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Dark Off posted:

anyway heres more star citizen contend

I don't understand how these people keep stealing poo poo from everybody, putting a price tag on it or using it in advertising and never get in any legal trouble. They've been doing this for years now.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

I get that. And he's totally welcome to post here. Honestly, part of the problem is that so much of the discussion is about Derek and things involving him. You can't moderate a forum that is basically about you, especially when it's one part of a much larger forum.

That's not a problem. That's half the hilarity.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nuclearmonkee posted:

That's not a problem. That's half the hilarity.
Sadly, "funniest option" and "option that makes the forum run" aren't always the same thing.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

Then let me be the first to swear allegiance to you in the hope of getting some reflected glory while I post on an internet forum pretending that I matter!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Beet Wagon posted:

Looking forwards to the 8 hour probations.

No I don't mean probating people for 8 hours I mean writing a probation reason out for 8 hours.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Sadly, "funniest option" and "option that makes the forum run" aren't always the same thing.

Derek navel gazing and worshipping himself will not make vbulletin stop working, even with Radium's best efforts.

This thread is white noise between CIG doing stupid poo poo and Derek is like a bell adorned jester self owning continuously for the thread's amusement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beet Wagon posted:

Speak for yourself. I just ordered my jackboots off of Amazon.

Beet Wagon posted:

It is all coming to plan.

• Locked thread