Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Considering the placement of that Strangers on a Train reference I'm disappointed there wasn't a final confrontation around a carousel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

TheFattestPat posted:

Roger actually brought up some continuity, maybe that guy is going to play a role in a plot dealing with Jeff having an alien/robot body.

Am Dad only sometimes cares about continuity.

A give it a 50/50 shot of coming up again.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Zero One posted:

Am Dad only sometimes cares about continuity.

A give it a 50/50 shot of coming up again.

It'll only come up again if it's funny. Continuity in American Dad exists for the sole purpose of enhancing jokes. Case in point:

Francine: Stan, we had a dog already.

Stan: I don't think so.

Francine: We did! Five years ago you got Steve an old dog that peed dust, and you killed it.We also had another dog named Fussy that you didn't like or something.

Stan: Francine, those were obviously dreams. I refuse to discuss your dreams in the daytime.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
They have stuck to relationship continuity pretty well. Haley and Jeff dated, broke up, got married, got abducted by aliens. Greg and Terry had a kid, now are still broken up I think. Even Steve had that goth girlfriend for a few episodes.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Coaaab posted:

Still cracking up when recalling Steve's list of trademarked toys and games.

Toys:
G.I. Joel
Transchangers
My Tiny Baby Horse
Warm Wheels
Lettuce Field Gang Doll
Preteen Radiated Judo Bull Frog
Giggle Me Elmer
Theo Ruxburg
Smorfs
Leegos
Malibu Barbara
Affection Bears

Board Games:
Slides and Stepstools
Connect 3
Starving, Starving Rhinos
Scrapple
Guess Whom?
Frontgammon
Unincorporated Candy Township

I don't know why but I absolutely lost it at Warm Wheels and Frontgammon.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It'll only come up again if it's funny. Continuity in American Dad exists for the sole purpose of enhancing jokes. Case in point:

Francine: Stan, we had a dog already.

Stan: I don't think so.

Francine: We did! Five years ago you got Steve an old dog that peed dust, and you killed it.We also had another dog named Fussy that you didn't like or something.

Stan: Francine, those were obviously dreams. I refuse to discuss your dreams in the daytime.

I'm still of the opinion that is actually a pretty huge weakness of the show and not a strength(especially since the show's writers just use it as an excuse to reuse old plots again and again, which leads to ridiculous things like them having done the incredibly worn out "Steve tries to get a date/laid" plot more than 40 times by now)

Just once I'd like to see an animated sitcom have absolute continuity between all episodes, cause I'm certain if it could pull it off it'd be something amazing

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

drrockso20 posted:

Just once I'd like to see an animated sitcom have absolute continuity between all episodes, cause I'm certain if it could pull it off it'd be something amazing

Have you seen the last two seasons of south park?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I mean from the very beginning

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Still in 4th grade though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Archer?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

The Venture Brothers?

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Those episodes where he had cancer were amazing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

limp_cheese posted:

The Venture Brothers?

I'll admit I do feel silly for forgetting about Venture Brothers, but we definitely need more like it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lmao at roger staring at the life guard then it cutting away to him in a bin

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

I'll admit I do feel silly for forgetting about Venture Brothers, but we definitely need more like it

I realized when I said that that the Venture Brothers probably isn't a sitcom. More like a character drama with some comedy.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Mission Hill had continuity.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Neeksy posted:

That one didn't last long enough to count, I mean something that's lasted multiple seasons

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Bob's Burgers gets close. Events have lasting consequences (the ice cream machine still has mechanical shark bite marks) but the characters haven't aged.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Neeksy posted:

Love Mission Hill.

It's more for Kids but Steven Universe has continuity

Coked up Claus ruled.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
Roger's Baby
Hayley gets an opportunity to see what pregnancy will be like when Roger decides to give birth to Jeff and allow him to be human again; Snot's feeling are hurt when he finds out Steve secretly signed him up for a makeover.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oh hey! Continuity!

....I can't decide if that episode description sounds hilarious or horrifying...

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

....I can't decide if that episode description sounds hilarious or horrifying...

It can be both!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Oh hey! Continuity!

Yes.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Oh hey! Continuity!

¿Por que no los dos?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh hey! Continuity!

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

McSpanky posted:

Does anyone else feel the animation quality's taken a hit sometime during the TBS run? THe writing quality is fantastic and definitely far beyond where Simpsons was in its same period but it seems the framerate has been dialed down to somewhere around "college student Flash resume", even the intro seems choppier.

It feels the same to me. They still have the same two animation timing supervisors and they still use the same Korean studio they've been using for years.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I want some Ren & Stimpy slippers.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

American Dad does graphic better than anyone

also, enjoying the continuity

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
1. Hailey and Bailey
2. Steve
3. Libby
4. ????

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

drrockso20 posted:

I'm still of the opinion that is actually a pretty huge weakness of the show and not a strength(especially since the show's writers just use it as an excuse to reuse old plots again and again, which leads to ridiculous things like them having done the incredibly worn out "Steve tries to get a date/laid" plot more than 40 times by now)

King of the Hill? Buckley died, Joseph went through puberty, Cotton got married and had a baby, Nancy eventually broke up with John Redcorn.

American Dad is not the show you're looking for. Whatever gets us is to the next joke is all the continuity American Dad needs.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The Nastier Nate posted:

King of the Hill? Buckley died, Joseph went through puberty, Cotton got married and had a baby, Nancy eventually broke up with John Redcorn.

American Dad is not the show you're looking for. Whatever gets us is to the next joke is all the continuity American Dad needs.

King of The Hill did it pretty well overall, but even it had some continuity goofs, and like all Sitcoms was overly reliant on "Return to Status Quo" endings(which is honestly the thing that annoys me the most about these kind of shows, kinda feels pointless to introduce something just to undo it by the episode's end)

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Zero One posted:

1. Hailey and Bailey
2. Steve
3. Libby
4. ????

Was Bailey ever confirmed to be a twin?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

smashpro1 posted:

It can be both!

And it was!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My mouth is super juicy just for this!

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

The "poor people are like cats" bit was great. Everything with Morning Mimosa really.

I think what impresses me with this show the most is what they can get away with. As much as "an alien giving birth to a man that expands like one of those sponge dinosaurs" sounds like monkey cheese, in this show it makes sense.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

For a relatively recent addition to the show, they've gotten a lot of mileage out of Morning Mimosa and it's all been really good. It's pretty crazy how consistent American Dad is. It has some episodes that fall flat, but 14 seasons in and it still produces great seasons.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Roger suctioning on to Jeff's head and consuming his brain was well-timed.

"Now there's a 10% chance I'm pregnant!"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I loved the logic that being rebirthed from an alien means he's human again.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

Roger suctioning on to Jeff's head and consuming his brain was well-timed.

"Now there's a 10% chance I'm pregnant!"

It was great because usually the show would have Roger do a big unnecessary setup, "bring me a bucket of pistachios," for it and I was completely caught off guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The continued Morning Mimosa duo is amazing, they're the best new thing from the TBS seasons.