Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Beet Wagon posted:

I tried to think about CIG doing something as well as Blizzard does but then I started laughing and didn't stop until I was dead.

I think the biggest difference between CIG and Blizz is Blizz isn't poo poo scared of admitting when they've taken the wrong road, and do everything they can to fix the problem. CIG just lies and coerces their brainwashed fanbase into thinking they're being treated better than anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
White House petition suggests naming next Navy ship 'USS The Deplorables'

quote:

The petition, which was started by someone with the initials D.S.,
:woof:

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

This was good. It makes me happy to see Goons spreading knowledge like that.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I know some of you are MWO goons. Have you seen the Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries announcement?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz8Y1V8gy1A&list=LLy1GDK2ZYTwvh1h7UashS_g&index=1

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

I know some of you are MWO goons. Have you seen the Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries announcement?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz8Y1V8gy1A&list=LLy1GDK2ZYTwvh1h7UashS_g&index=1

Yes, and I'm going to patiently wait and see if :pgi: completely fucks it up.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

It looks cool but proceed with caution. This is :pgi: we're talking about...

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Xaerael posted:

I think the biggest difference between CIG and Blizz is Blizz isn't poo poo scared of admitting when they've taken the wrong road, and do everything they can to fix the problem. CIG just lies and coerces their brainwashed fanbase into thinking they're being treated better than anyone else.

That and the part where Blizzard has actually successfully made a number of video games before lmao

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I think you'll find that none of the Blizzard games are truly released, as expansions, patches and fixes are still going in every week

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Xaerael posted:

Most recent example is the other week Blizzard hosed up the pack drop rates of the tri class cards in their new hearthstone expansion. Making certain types of cards like 10 times more likely to drop until you had a ton of a few cards. This blows because its useless to have more than 2 of any card and I had like 10-15 of a few.

Instead of obfuscating, ignoring, or siccing their backers on people annoyed by this. They, that very same day, gave everyone who opened packs while the bug was there an extra 33% of the packs they purchased free. You came out way ahead for your trouble.

You are right citizens, game development has lots of fuckups. But they aren't properly handled by going silent and hoping no one notices or get drowned out(moved to concern). They are acknowledged, fixed, and even apologies for the trouble if the customer was affected.

TheLightPurges fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 14, 2016

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

shrach posted:

Yeah the control is "75% or more". In both those cases it is 100% which is more (To confirm, you can check the annual return filings at the same links).

I think that it's correct to. You have to consider these as the separate legal identities that they are. If you have a number of businesses buying and selling to each other, you wouldn't net any transactions off. The UK parent company (as part of the consolidated accounts) should disclose them as related party transactions though.

I did get a D grade in German at GCSE which I think fails me on both counts.

We'll see how much they paid for the company when they file the parent company accounts. The benefits are included in the accounts, though.

I doubt there are any company cars and such in the UK companies though. That would be an American thing, it's very rare to see in a UK company these days. The correct way to handle travel is for a director to own the car personally and then charge the company per mile used. Check out P11D benefits if you are interested (you're not).

It's curious to me that they filed for the subsidiaries, but not the parent company. Which to me means that they're still pissing around with the numbers, since they have to be reflective of the US parent numbers, seeing as that's the primary and sole source of the income.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
The only real reason to have more than 1 company per country is to obfuscate and make it so any legal action against them requires the use of forensic accountants. Not cheap.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

I don't think toast saw this the first time around.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

It looks cool but proceed with caution. This is :pgi: we're talking about...

Eldragon posted:

Yes, and I'm going to patiently wait and see if :pgi: completely fucks it up.

Oh yeah. That's a given.

That, and no pre-order, no pre-anything.

Thanks Star Citizen. For teaching me that lesson.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheLightPurges posted:

The only real reason to have more than 1 company per country is to obfuscate and make it so any legal action against them requires the use of forensic accountants. Not cheap.

No, it's a liability shield. A wholly owned subsidiary with limited liability status can go bump and stiff it's creditors without touching the parent company. It's SOP in the UK, where you'll buy an off the shelf, transfer the accounts to it, the operate as a wholly owned subsidiary until poo poo goes south.

Accounting evasion uses companies across country boundaries, as this generally causes a hard disconnect between different legal structures, except in China, where you're always a 50/50 partner with the government.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Randarkman posted:

This is hilarious, they basically expect the Star Citizen NPCs to be the robots from Westworld.

They expect it because CIG promised this level of AI and fidelity. Special named NPCs with histories, and all of them are killable, with written in beneficiaries ready to take their place if they die, and people who kill them are recorded as heroes/villains in the persistent Galactipedia.

They add in a lot of additional crazy, but a considerable amount originates from CIG, building the dream.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

This is cool but isn't super far off from the smoke and mirrors we've seen from CiG, the major difference being these people have actually shipped games before so I'm more forgiving of rough demos

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

a cyberpunk goose posted:

This is cool but isn't super far off from the smoke and mirrors we've seen from CiG, the major difference being these people have actually shipped games before so I'm more forgiving of rough demos

Well.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kdeqIdPU_k

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

And......

http://www.pcgamesn.com/mechwarrior-online-now-has-gold-plated-mechs-they-ll-set-you-back-500

If MW5 is good, it will be like the early days of MWO: They did it on accident, which they soon corrected and turned to poo poo.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

DapperDon posted:

What is that?

When hellgate London was released, they promised episodic updates for years, so you could buy a lifetime subscription containing all the promised updates. They managed 1 lackluster update before the whole thing went bump.

It's one of those fun data points that gets thrown out.

I actually liked the game, but it was repetitive and they reallly didn't have a lot of content; interestingly, the dungeons were procedurally generated.

Edit: :pgi: are not to be trusted. Transverse...well, they tried to pull a star citizen where space combat was a stretch goal.

Hav fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 14, 2016

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

ManofManyAliases posted:

Best of luck to you and your audience.

Please respond one more time with a smug emote when I say once again, when this all comes crashing down you will look rather silly.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Eldragon posted:

And......

http://www.pcgamesn.com/mechwarrior-online-now-has-gold-plated-mechs-they-ll-set-you-back-500

If MW5 is good, it will be like the early days of MWO: They did it on accident, which they soon corrected and turned to poo poo.

Update: Due to me being uninformed and silly I originally called 'Community Warfare' 'Clan Wars', mixing up a promised feature of Mechwarrior Online for part of Battletech's lore. I also said the Timberwolf was a variant of a Mad Cat. In fact, they're both names for the same mech.

Cheers to those who pointed this out to me in the comments.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

What am I lookin at here toaster

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

MOMA spirals into depressions, doubt, and bitterness

quote:

No, it did not. There will be some holiday bonus features, and I'm expecting 2.6 before the year's end. I do know that 2.6 is not yet with Evocati (they're doing serious test work around mechanics in 2.5 so that it can be implemented into 2.6), but even if it hits PTU before Christmas, I'll be happy.

quote:

I mean, we still have 2 months left, but I have it on good authority that we'll see it this year.

To answer your question: I'm not certain how I'll feel if it doesn't drop this year. I'll let you know if that time comes.

edit: DEREK SMART DEREK SMART DEREK SMART
.............. where's the ELE boo?

quote:

Not really. Pretty doubtful that we'll get 2.6 live by Friday.

quote:

I didn't say it wasn't going live this year. I said it won't be ready by Friday. My faith is not shaken by a video game.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

What am I lookin at here toaster

:pgi: made a failed kickstarter bid to out-Star Citizen Star Citizen.

It was loving hilarious. They directly ripped ships off of the already ripped of Star Citizen ships, and space combat was a stretchgoal, not part of the core kickstarter.

All told that dumb trailer actually looks pretty good compared to some of CIG's work, which compounds the hilarity.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

qft

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Still no response from CIG on how much they're going to offer, which Ray said they would do yesterday.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Maybe they are preparing for spacecourt action.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

It was loving hilarious. They directly ripped ships off of the already ripped of Star Citizen ships, and space combat was a stretchgoal, not part of the core kickstarter.

All told that dumb trailer actually looks pretty good compared to some of CIG's work, which compounds the hilarity.

Wow I completely forgot about this poo poo

drluv
Feb 25, 2016

Please do not undercut me in front of the child.

TheAgent posted:

we've also heard this kind of poo poo before from hundreds of games since ultima 2

spoiler: it never works out

To be fair: ultima7 did a pretty good job on this.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Still no response from CIG on how much they're going to offer, which Ray said they would do yesterday.

Well, you know about CIG and dates and promises and what not

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

So i still haven't seen a single "MMO" system in SC come online -- something every MMO ever has before literally anything else. You build it as early as possible because networking is really really hard, especially MMO-scale networking. You build *on top* of the constraints your networking infrastructure will impose, you can't work backwards to figure this out later, you just cannot on a project of this scale

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

That to me is a greater death knell than any of the 100s of reasons this project is spectacularly doomed

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Completely offtopic, but this would be so cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLrqtmKazpI

Makes you think how important proper game mechanics truly are, and how irrelevant graphic fidelity can be.

Then again, I guess if someone never experienced the original X-Wing and especially TIE Fighter, hey will look at this and simply shrug

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I was browsing the RSI forums for fun and they had some thread about how much they'd each spent and how they don't tell their family or whatever, anyway one dude came in saying he regretted spending any money because the game doesn't exist, everyone jumped on him and said he should just get a refund.

Its still CIG policy to not give refunds and those guys are deluded morons, right?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Beet Wagon posted:

PGI and Transverse were savaged when they tried to crowdfund their space game. The hilarity is, if PGI had been successful, PGI would have an actual game to play. CIG is amazing. Only CIG and Star Citizen could make PGI, their community management, and MWO look like huge successes.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

So i still haven't seen a single "MMO" system in SC come online -- something every MMO ever has before literally anything else. You build it as early as possible because networking is really really hard, especially MMO-scale networking. You build *on top* of the constraints your networking infrastructure will impose, you can't work backwards to figure this out later, you just cannot on a project of this scale

actually they're going to slot all the modules together once the production pipeline gets patched in with 3.0 next week

it sounds like you don't know anything about game development and should shut your dirty peasant mouth.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

nopantsjack posted:

I was browsing the RSI forums for fun and they had some thread about how much they'd each spent and how they don't tell their family or whatever, anyway one dude came in saying he regretted spending any money because the game doesn't exist, everyone jumped on him and said he should just get a refund.

Its still CIG policy to not give refunds and those guys are deluded morons, right?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

nopantsjack posted:

Imagine calling your parents and telling them you spent 10k on virtual space ships. I mean they love you and care about what you do (maybe a little less after that call...).

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The date he gave was just an estimation and not a promise. CIG was just being overly optimistic about their ability to do basic math in your account and you need to be more patient.

Refund locust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

TheAgent posted:

we've also heard this kind of poo poo before from hundreds of games since ultima 2

spoiler: it never works out
Pfft it just wasn't Radiant(tm) enough last time.