Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Not all All-Seasons are created equal. There are some notoriously bad ones out there, like the Yokohamas that come stock on the Subaru Impreza. There are also some pretty good ones too, nearly competitive with snow tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

FogHelmut posted:

Not all All-Seasons are created equal. There are some notoriously bad ones out there, like the Yokohamas that come stock on the Subaru Impreza. There are also some pretty good ones too, nearly competitive with snow tires.

Nokian WR's are fantastic. But they are an all weather tire, not an all season. Great compromise when you only get some snow/ice.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

shortspecialbus posted:

So there's 3 primary problems with winter driving in areas that don't frequently get snow vs somewhere like Wisconsin.
This is a great post.

FogHelmut posted:

Here's the symbol to look for in the North American market as at least a baseline.

It doesn't necessarily indicate greatness, but where there are legal requirements for tires in winter conditions this is usually the standard that matters in the US or Canada.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

That's the symbol for winter tires though, not all seasons. Or is it on all seasons too? I guess I never paid attention.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

shortspecialbus posted:

So there's 3 primary problems with winter driving in areas that don't frequently get snow vs somewhere like Wisconsin.

Even better is someplace like here in Vegas when snow sticks to the ground every decade or two and there is basically never ice.

It turns traffic to a cluster gently caress of biblical loving proportions.

Like back in 2008, I think. Around noonish the director came around to everyone and told everyone to go home. Like straight pack it up right now, and go home. Snow was sticking to the ground and we were going to get 3 or so inches and it wasn't going to melt away. We were told not to stop or screw around but just go straight home.

We don't own or stock road salt, and we don't own any other ways to deal with snow. Nothing but summer tires from here to the horizon.

Saw 6 wrecks on the way home with less than an inch. People sliding cars into the opposing lanes of traffic when cornering on The Strip. People on the freeway driving 80 like it was normal. I took side streets.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

shortspecialbus posted:

That's the symbol for winter tires though, not all seasons. Or is it on all seasons too? I guess I never paid attention.

It's "4 season approved"

BF goodrich ko2 tires have that symbol and are rated for mud + snow because money i guess?

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

The Subaru Outback might as well be the state car of Vermont, followed by the Toyota Prius, and then the Jetta (less so after the emissions recall).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

BitBasher posted:

Even better is someplace like here in Vegas when snow sticks to the ground every decade or two and there is basically never ice.

It turns traffic to a cluster gently caress of biblical loving proportions.

Like back in 2008, I think. Around noonish the director came around to everyone and told everyone to go home. Like straight pack it up right now, and go home. Snow was sticking to the ground and we were going to get 3 or so inches and it wasn't going to melt away. We were told not to stop or screw around but just go straight home.

We don't own or stock road salt, and we don't own any other ways to deal with snow. Nothing but summer tires from here to the horizon.

Saw 6 wrecks on the way home with less than an inch. People sliding cars into the opposing lanes of traffic when cornering on The Strip. People on the freeway driving 80 like it was normal. I took side streets.

Pretty sure if Phoenix ever saw snow it would be an apocalypse beyond all imagination.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Powershift posted:

It's "4 season approved"

BF goodrich ko2 tires have that symbol and are rated for mud + snow because money i guess?
Those KO2's do drat fine in snow.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Locator posted:

Pretty sure if Phoenix ever saw snow it would be an apocalypse beyond all imagination.

What would be worst, Phoenix or Miami with snow?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The old people in Miami are dying or nearly dead. The old people in Phoenix are spry enough to drive themselves down for the winter, and are still on the roads. Flip side, they probably came from an area with winters.

Short answer, I don't know.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Phoenix doesn't even really have storm drains, which is fun because while it doesn't get snow, it does get monsoon rains. Real monsoons, it's the same phenomenon as in India/Bangladesh.

And there are bits where one road dips below street level to pass under another road. And of course there are signs that warn against entry during flood conditions, but every so often some dumb motherfucker drowns because he enters during flood conditions.

Phoenix drivers during rain are lol D.C. drivers during snow, except that it rains a lot more often in Phoenix than it snows in D.C.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

The Locator posted:

Even Texas with snow is basically a death orgy, and they've gotta be at least 10 IQ points ahead of your average Arizonan.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Phanatic posted:

Phoenix doesn't even really have storm drains, which is fun because while it doesn't get snow, it does get monsoon rains. Real monsoons, it's the same phenomenon as in India/Bangladesh.

And there are bits where one road dips below street level to pass under another road. And of course there are signs that warn against entry during flood conditions, but every so often some dumb motherfucker drowns because he enters during flood conditions.

Phoenix drivers during rain are lol D.C. drivers during snow, except that it rains a lot more often in Phoenix than it snows in D.C.

It's bad enough that "turn around don't drown" becomes a meme on the local news and the state has started requiring people to pay for having their car towed out of the flood because it happens so frequently.

Snow honestly wouldn't be as bad as rain > freeze would be. That ground is so hard half an inch of rain causes standing water for days.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

carry on then posted:

Snow honestly wouldn't be as bad as rain > freeze would be. That ground is so hard half an inch of rain causes standing water for days.

Imagine if it was to flood, then freeze. Ice sheets over the flooded areas which would either collapse when some idiot drove on to it or result in people 11'8"ing themselves on whatever the road's going under.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...icles-1.3926177

Winter makes roads slippery, who knew :shrug:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
You'd think canada would have this poo poo down by now.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, well, there are an incredible amount of idiots everywhere.

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

Javid posted:

You'd think canada would have this poo poo down by now.

Toronto, doesn't count.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I live in a region that measures annual snowfall in feet and yeah - most people seem to forget that winter is a thing that happens at least three months out of the year, much less remember how to drive when there's sufficient snowfall.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

sirr0bin posted:

Toronto, doesn't count.

Calgary has the same problems, compounded by people with lifted bro-trucks who think "winter tires are for faggots, I've got a 4WD truck, I don't need that!" and enjoy going 20 over the limit on snow-covered highways.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
So what's the rule for when the hammer the brakes to engage abs vs not engage at all for traction? I'm not sure why all the cars in these videos have their wheels locked up and I know I've made that mistake on occasion.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ABS is proven to be better at stopping a vehicle than any human you could name, so if your mission is to come to a halt ASAP burying your foot into the floor is the way to go.

If you want steering available while doing this it gets more complicated. There's a so called "friction budget" you draw from when controlling a vehicle and if all of it's being dedicated for braking, steering ain't gonna work well. Knowing which to pick is mostly an issue of experience.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
If it ever snows in San Diego there will be a double-digit death toll at the very least. People can barely drive when it rains here.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I got the job as an auto claims drone so :toot: will be fun following this thread while learning the ropes there.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

xzzy posted:

ABS is proven to be better at stopping a vehicle than any human you could name, so if your mission is to come to a halt ASAP burying your foot into the floor is the way to go.

If you want steering available while doing this it gets more complicated. There's a so called "friction budget" you draw from when controlling a vehicle and if all of it's being dedicated for braking, steering ain't gonna work well. Knowing which to pick is mostly an issue of experience.

Yes! Friction budget is a good term for that. I'll have to use that when I'm trying to explain this poo poo to people. You can brake or turn at full capacity - you can't do both. Or other things, but those are the two main ones.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

xzzy posted:

It's actually significantly better to brake at the the threshold of ABS activation (at least in the dry). Not that 99% of drivers should even think about it.

Brake then turn is the name of the game if you want to be as effective as possible when avoiding something while also reducing speed quickly.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

MrOnBicycle posted:

It's actually significantly better to brake at the the threshold of ABS activation (at least in the dry). Not that 99% of drivers should even think about it.

Brake then turn is the name of the game if you want to be as effective as possible when avoiding something while also reducing speed quickly.

Unless you are a stunt driver/professional racer you won't have the skills to brake better than the ABS can so in theory ABS isn't as good as not but most people vastly overestimate there abilities its best not to mention it. The bike community is full of idiots who think they are skilled enough to out brake ABS and it's a macho badge of honour to be as good as Rossi.

shortspecialbus posted:

Yes! Friction budget is a good term for that. I'll have to use that when I'm trying to explain this poo poo to people. You can brake or turn at full capacity - you can't do both. Or other things, but those are the two main ones.

In Britain its often called a pie. Your tyres only have so much grip and that is the pie, the more of the pie that is used for braking the less is for steering (and visa-versa)

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

mastershakeman posted:

So what's the rule for when the hammer the brakes to engage abs vs not engage at all for traction? I'm not sure why all the cars in these videos have their wheels locked up and I know I've made that mistake on occasion.
In those videos the ABS has just given up. The roads are too slick and tires too poor, ABS can't fix that. Like that OR video, the cars are just sliding down the hill sideways, doesn't really matter what the driver does at that point you're just a victim of gravity.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Unless you are a stunt driver/professional racer you won't have the skills to brake better than the ABS can so in theory ABS isn't as good as not but most people vastly overestimate there abilities its best not to mention it. The bike community is full of idiots who think they are skilled enough to out brake ABS and it's a macho badge of honour to be as good as Rossi.

In Britain its often called a pie. Your tyres only have so much grip and that is the pie, the more of the pie that is used for braking the less is for steering (and visa-versa)

This is why it pisses me off to see people braking on bridges in icy conditions, or braking while turning. You either have the friction to make the turn, in which case you don't need to brake, or you're already hosed. And for gently caress sake, brake before you get onto the possibly-icy bridge, not when you're on it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or just let off the gas and coast, which also improves your available grip (or more specifically, you stop using it to deliver power and have more available for turning).

Unless you're already sliding. At that point you gotta stay on the gas and unleash your inner drifter.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

xzzy posted:

Or just let off the gas and coast, which also improves your available grip (or more specifically, you stop using it to deliver power and have more available for turning).

Unless you're already sliding. At that point you gotta stay on the gas and unleash your inner drifter.

Yes, that too. I will usually coast on bridges if I expect ice, although it's important not to let off the gas too quickly either, that can cause a loss of traction too.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Eifert Posting posted:

I got the job as an auto claims drone so :toot: will be fun following this thread while learning the ropes there.

Out of curiosity if it's not too private how does the pay work, is it good? God knows those premiums keep your wallets full. ;)

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

If it ever snows in San Diego there will be a double-digit death toll at the very least. People can barely drive when it rains here.

I've lived in SoCal for just over a year now, and it's hosed up. Pass on the right. Shoot the gap. Block the guy trying to merge. Cut off the truck. Me first. Me me me, mine mine mine.

I've never been anywhere else where it's such a regular occurrence for people to run red lights. And everyone just accepts it and waits a full second before going when they get the green. I see it at least once a day.

They tailgate me in my neighborhood. They speed by my house. They take the blind curves in the winding suburban neighborhoods full of kids on scooters at tire squealing speeds.

I'm from New Jersey. We have traffic and high insurance rates and jughandles. This poo poo here is hosed up.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

FogHelmut posted:

I've lived in SoCal for just over a year now, and it's hosed up. Pass on the right. Shoot the gap. Block the guy trying to merge. Cut off the truck. Me first. Me me me, mine mine mine.

I've never been anywhere else where it's such a regular occurrence for people to run red lights. And everyone just accepts it and waits a full second before going when they get the green. I see it at least once a day.

They tailgate me in my neighborhood. They speed by my house. They take the blind curves in the winding suburban neighborhoods full of kids on scooters at tire squealing speeds.

I'm from New Jersey. We have traffic and high insurance rates and jughandles. This poo poo here is hosed up.

Honestly, if you thing San Diego drivers are bad, just wander south into Tijuana. :v:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Michael Scott posted:

Out of curiosity if it's not too private how does the pay work, is it good? God knows those premiums keep your wallets full. ;)

Not as much as you'd think. Usually 4-5 cents on the dollar profit. Some companies, like State Farm, routinely lose money on the Auto book and make it up elsewhere.

The pay works the same as every other professional establishment - base pay, holidays/vacation, and some companies offer a profit sharing percentage. If you try to incentive not paying claims or the like you're headed for a DOI and lawsuit paddling.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MrOnBicycle posted:

On certain loose surfaces if stopping is your only goal locking up the wheels is actually the best answer because it digs in and plows a big hill of the surface in front of it. I know that applies to sand and deep gravel, not sure how deep and wet snow would have to be for it to be relevant. In those cases locking up is best, threshold braking is second best, and ABS is worst. Some of the modern trucks with selectable drive modes have a mode that disables ABS

In all other cases of course you are correct, threshold braking is the best answer, ABS second best, and locking up worst.

We should all remember that the purpose of ABS is not primarily to stop faster, but to keep you more in control of the vehicle in a panic stop situation. Rear ABS keeps the back end in line (so if you do crash it's at least in the direction the safety systems are best at) and four-wheel ABS gives you limited steering ability (so you might be able to avoid the crash altogether).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Circle of traction. Start in the centre of the circle, your inputs are X and Y values. Acceleration and braking is up/down, steering is left/right. If you combine an X and Y large enough to put the resultant point outside the circle, you're sliding.

Obviously the "circle" can be an oval or egg shape as suits how much traction is available in each axis.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

InitialDave posted:

Circle of traction. Start in the centre of the circle, your inputs are X and Y values. Acceleration and braking is up/down, steering is left/right. If you combine an X and Y large enough to put the resultant point outside the circle, you're sliding.

Obviously the "circle" can be an oval or egg shape as suits how much traction is available in each axis.

While obvious, try explaining X and Y axis to the people who have to break out their phone's calculator to figure out that 4 for $5 means $1.25 each. (Recent real world example) I think the "traction budget" is a better way to explain the average slack-jaw why mashing the brakes mid corner is a bad idea. YMMV, as always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Not as much as you'd think. Usually 4-5 cents on the dollar profit. Some companies, like State Farm, routinely lose money on the Auto book and make it up elsewhere.

The pay works the same as every other professional establishment - base pay, holidays/vacation, and some companies offer a profit sharing percentage. If you try to incentive not paying claims or the like you're headed for a DOI and lawsuit paddling.

I know health insurance companies are mandated to pay a certain amount of premium revenue out in medical reimbursement, I wasn't sure if auto had similar regulations. I know it's competitive for sure. How is that possible for State Farm I wonder. I have a minor accident on the books and SF quoted me the highest rates of any major carrier, a ridiculous amount. Maybe they aggressively price drivers with no accidents.