Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What changes will the new ownership bring to the UFC?
This poll is closed.
Business as usual 12 7.55%
A few changes 45 28.30%
This is kind of crazy 55 34.59%
This is batfuck insane 47 29.56%
Total: 159 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
That high kick opens Diego Sanchez up like he's got razors on his shins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Thrifting Day! posted:

Brunson will win in 1. That's not even a troll.

i dont think so. silva is still really good

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I'm biased as gently caress but BJ has got to go down as one of the greatest.

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

When BJ had that two-fight stretch training with those two steroid brothers who made him do exercise he seemed invincible.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I'm biased as gently caress but BJ has got to go down as one of the greatest.

He has a case for the greatest to have ever done it. I wouldn't argue for it necessarily, but he is definitely all-time.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
145lb fighter conor mcgregor fought the giant Nate Diaz. 145lb fighter bj penn only fought lyoto machida.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
bj was amazing don't really wanna see him fight anymore though

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Le Saboteur posted:

I want desperately for Silva to make Brunson look like Forest Griffin out there.

If Brunson uses the same tactics he did against Whittaker, Anderson will do the entire Thriller dance before knocking his head into the cheap seats. Which makes me think this is really brilliant matchmaking to see if Brunson can actually overcome his flaws and make it into the top 5.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
B.J. Penn: Yair Rodriguez fight is ‘going to look like a professional against an amateur’

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

B.J. Penn: Yair Rodriguez fight is ‘going to look like a professional against an amateur’

True.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

lmao holy gently caress i forgot how yamasaki let sherk die vs bj

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bundt Cake posted:

BJs deadly with back control

Bringing his mom to the court hearing really shows his upright personality

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I.N.R.I posted:

i dont think so. silva is still really good

He's not won a fight in 4 and a half years and looked terrible against Cormier, although granted, Cormier is in a different league to him at the moment.

It seems pointless though, because if Silva wins what is next? Weidman 3? No thanks. Rockhold would smash him.

I love the guy but he should give up before he become Victor Belfort

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

This would be a really cool game for Kinect or similar systems, since voice, facial and emotion recognition is a huge thing now. You watch your fighter onscreen and can only use voice control, and your fighters performace is affected by your pose, tone of voice, body language etc.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES

evobatman posted:

This would be a really cool game for Kinect or similar systems, since voice, facial and emotion recognition is a huge thing now. You watch your fighter onscreen and can only use voice control, and your fighters performace is affected by your pose, tone of voice, body language etc.

From my experience with the Kinect, there would be no Michelle Waterson to corner in that game. Just a whole lot of Cub Swanson. The only way you could avoid getting sued for a non-functional product is if you named it Edmond Tarverdyan Simulator.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
BJ Penn was really good for a period of time, I still don't want to see him fight or talk ever again

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Detroit_Dogg posted:

BJ Penn was really good for a period of time, I still don't want to see him fight or talk ever again

Same. He's a bit of a dick. His only saving grace was hurting the even bigger dick head Matt Hughes.

I think BJ will come back just as much as a wet blanket, with 0 evolution of his skills.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Bj's timing on his uppercuts was something really goddamn special. Stevenson and Diego both got hosed up by one in the first minute, and neither recovered.

In retrospect, it is really funny that the guy BJ beat to get a UFC belt is Joe Stevenson. My god Lightweight used to be terrible.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Thrifting Day! posted:

He's not won a fight in 4 and a half years and looked terrible against Cormier, although granted, Cormier is in a different league to him at the moment.

It seems pointless though, because if Silva wins what is next? Weidman 3? No thanks. Rockhold would smash him.

I love the guy but he should give up before he become Victor Belfort

i know what his wikipedia page says. lets spin it this way: he had a really competitive fight, showing he could have decisively won it with a round 3 KO if only the timing was on his side, with the current middleweight champion (ie: the best middleweight in the world currently) michael bisping. that was directly before his fight with daniel cormier which he took on something like 2 days notice and a weight class up in which cormier, not wanting to derail his own career with a loss to a non contender, had to fight him really conservatively and still had a really hard time with silva for the brief time they were stood up

I.N.R.I fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jan 14, 2017

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
Weight cut health rating - Anal Creampie

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
bj looks like a gracie now, distressing

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

mistakinder posted:

Weight cut health rating - Anal Creampie

looks rough. hope he recovers well

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Thrifting Day! posted:

To be fair, if Brunson had fought Silva's list of opponents, he probably wouldn't have won a fight since 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

In retrospect, it is really funny that the guy BJ beat to get a UFC belt is Joe Stevenson. My god Lightweight used to be terrible.

Stevenson used to be really good.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
One nice thing about the "legit sports" model MMA could benefit from is people shutting the gently caress up about "oh they sucked" any time a dude or dudettes late career didn't match their earlier success

Well maybe some people would stop. Or I'm really out of touch with ball sports

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 14, 2017

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Tom Brady is a system QB.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
I feel like since this is the only place I ever read about MMA, and I have only been watching fights for about a year and a half that I have some warped ideas about certain dudes like BJ. Since he seems to be the butt of a lot of jokes but I guess he is/was actually good?

Two other guys that come to mind for this are Fedor and Cro Cop who seem well respected elsewhere but mostly I see goons laughing about them. I've also never watched any of them fight apart from apart from watching Cro Cop knee a Scandinavian sumo real hard and get a ridiculous watch.

What are some good fights that demonstrate the highs and lows of these dudes.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Early lightweight UFC for BJ. Pride for Fedor and Cro Cop.

Welterweight for BJ. American fights for Fedor and Cro Cop.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Fedor v Hendo for sure. I consider it a highlight but Fedor doesn't.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Hendo sucks, fedor sucks, crocop sucks, bj sucks. Watch Jon Jones v. Shogun instead.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
a lot of the resentment for Fedor comes from his consistent ducking of good competition (especially after PRIDE, though he ducked some people in PRIDE as well) and his never coming to the UFC because of his ridiculous demands. this was compounded by the near mythical status afforded to him by other forums like sherdog where he was considered an inhuman cyborg who would destroy anyone put in front of him as opposed to the best fighter in a fairly weak division with fairly obvious flaws. there was even a huge thread on here called 'The Ecstacy and Agony of being a Fedor Emelianenko fan' or something like that where a guy would fanatically defend Fedor to the death. then he was submitted by Werdum, outgrappled and outwrestled by Bigfoot and outbrawled by Hendo which I think sobered most people up (but there are always people who think Prime Fedor is a thing). he also recently got destroyed by Fabio Maldonado, a light heavyweight who washed out of the ufc, where Fabio was robbed because the event was organized by the Russian MMA union which Fedor is the president of lol.

Fedor's best ever fight is against Cro Cop, which was an incredibly impressive performance. The Randleman fight is good as well. His flaws are obvious in a bunch of fights, like Arona, Fujita, Hunt, Rogers and all of his losses.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Kuno posted:

I feel like since this is the only place I ever read about MMA, and I have only been watching fights for about a year and a half that I have some warped ideas about certain dudes like BJ. Since he seems to be the butt of a lot of jokes but I guess he is/was actually good?

Two other guys that come to mind for this are Fedor and Cro Cop who seem well respected elsewhere but mostly I see goons laughing about them. I've also never watched any of them fight apart from apart from watching Cro Cop knee a Scandinavian sumo real hard and get a ridiculous watch.

they were all really good

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

The resent for fedor comes from the same place as the jokes about gsp being gay: someone said it 7 years ago and here it is still.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Kuno posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smSbPbOJItc

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Fedor vs Crocop
BJ vs Sanchez

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

BJ, Fedor and Cro Cop are all fighters who legit hall of famers and pioneers of the sport and at their best, probably a level above their nearest competitors (maybe not with Cro Cop, but he's still a great) though some of this is because of weaker overall competition. The problem is that in other MMA communities, they don't really like to acknowledge that the skills of legendary fighters like Fedor ultimately deteriorated due to a long career and that the game has grown significantly in recent years.

It's basically sacrilege to mention that Fedor isn't the best fighter to ever compete in MMA to places like Sherdog and you'll get harassed for it, so people don't say that and just reinforce a feedback loop saying it so that they sound informed and don't get called out. On places like here, you're free to talk about the fact that while people like Big Nog, Cro Cop, Randleman and Coleman are legit wins, maybe the same isn't true about Choi Hong-Man or Zuluzinho. And maybe the fact that Werdum was just better than Fedor, and that he was out cold against Dan Henderson and wasn't infact defending himself.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
It's best not to dwell on if fighters or good or not, just listen to Joe rogan intros and hope for teh comedy option. :xd:

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Kuno posted:

BJ burst onto the scene with his very first fight in the UFC, never having any fights on small shows, and strung together wins over nearly every ranked lightweight in the world including the de facto #1 at the time, Gomi. Then he jumped up to welterweight directly into a fight with Hughes, who was at the time the most dominant champ in the sport, and finished him. After being on the outs with the UFC, fighting up as heavy as heavyweight, and coming back to lose to GSP and Hughes, he dropped back to lightweight and had probably the best run any champ has had at lw in the UFC so far before losing a close fight to Edgar, who himself is a P4P great. He's also received his share of ridicule for reacting extremely poorly to nearly every loss he's had, and (somewhat unfairly) for being on a downhill slide in his late career.

tl;dr - BJ's history of wins make his "The Prodigy" nickname very apt, his history of reactions to losses make his "Baby Jay" nickname equally so.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Snowman_McK posted:

Bj's timing on his uppercuts was something really goddamn special. Stevenson and Diego both got hosed up by one in the first minute, and neither recovered.

Yeah I rewound the clip because I honestly didn't remember that fight being for the title. I do remember Joe Daddy turning into Carrie, though.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

fatherdog posted:

Stevenson used to be really good.

Agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Thanks for the replies. I figured a fair degree of the criticism was to some degree a reaction to hyperbole elsewhere on the internet.

I've watched BJs first two fights so far, I kind of love that era of UFC where a random guy could come in and gently caress poo poo up. Nowadays apart from like CM Punk carnival shows pretty much everyone comes in with a bunch of tape behind them. Takes away some of the mystique I guess but on the other hand it means that you actually get fighters who mostly look like they belong in the building.

• Locked thread