Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What changes will the new ownership bring to the UFC?
This poll is closed.
Business as usual 12 7.55%
A few changes 45 28.30%
This is kind of crazy 55 34.59%
This is batfuck insane 47 29.56%
Total: 159 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Actually don't do that because BJ would demand, and get, the rubber match and he'd get beat up again on the last fight of some prelims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

fatherdog posted:

Yeah, I was trying to remember someone in mma coming back from retirement and it going well other than Couture (the first time), and coming up dry.

Cro Cop

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
I feel for BJ. If he gives up fighting, what does he have? Just a smoking hot wife, two daughters, a home in paradise and wealth for life.

If only he could win a fight and get back to his real passion of hugging and kissing the vanquished, licking blood off his gloves and telling everyone to go to bjpenn.com.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The scariest thing about BJ's loss is how insanely tough he is. Dude took like 20 seconds of a gnp beat down and still wanted to go until brain death. I don't know if that level of mental game + chin is a pro or con for someone like that.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

mistakinder posted:

I feel for BJ. If he gives up fighting, what does he have? Just a smoking hot wife, two daughters, a home in paradise and wealth for life.

If only he could win a fight and get back to his real passion of hugging and kissing the vanquished, licking blood off his gloves and telling everyone to go to bjpenn.com.

bellator

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

fatherdog posted:

Yeah, I was trying to remember someone in mma coming back from retirement and it going well other than Couture (the first time), and coming up dry.

Mirko Cro Cop is the only one that comes to mind

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES

1st AD posted:

bellator

I dunno, featherweight is one of the few divisions in bellator that doesn't rely on 45 year old UFC castoffs. Suppose if he went back to lightweight he might beat Ryan Couture.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
If he has to go somewhere else, I'm thinking Rizin. He could eat as much as he wanted, become Final Form Light Heavyweight BJ and gently caress up some pro wrestlers.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Other than maybe CM Punk because he's CM Punk, I'm not sure there's anyone in the UFC at a relevant weight that BJ can realistically beat at this point.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Chris James 2 posted:

Mirko Cro Cop is the only one that comes to mind

I dont know if fighting in fixed matches in japan against random street people is success.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
He kneed a big fat guy in the stomach and the fat guy gave up. Cro Cop is BACK.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Work Friend Keven posted:

I dont know if fighting in fixed matches in japan against random street people is success.

Reach for the stars Keven

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I think BJ could have a decent fight with Ryan Hall

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Work Friend Keven posted:

I was thinking coming back to the UFC and getting a Fight of the Night against Gonzaga, which I genuinely thought was impressive at least for either of them in 2015

Also please don't diss Baruto

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
BJ would still probably beat a lot of dudes at featherweight, including Cole Miller and Dennis Siver who he was gonna fight to begin with.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
remember when Cole Miller was calling out Conor McGregor? lol

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
that guys still in the ufc?

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES

Skip My Posts posted:

that guys still in the ufc?

He got poked in the eye between losing a load of fights so he hasn't been cut yet.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Where has Amirkhani gone? He was a cool and fun FW/LW

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
he is fighting on London card against Arnold Allen

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

TheCool69 posted:

he is fighting on London card against Arnold Allen

the "who who who" part of "who let the dogs out" but repeating and getting gradually higher pitched until i hear the language of god

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Rodriguez and Bektic should fight.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

the "who who who" part of "who let the dogs out" but repeating and getting gradually higher pitched until i hear the language of god

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Semi-effortpost

Miller still being in the UFC is a little weird, but tbh I've always liked him. He's one of those journeymen that the sport is full of - definitely in the right profession but not consistently good enough to contend for a belt. His interviews and call-ins with Sherdog are insightful, like it was wild to me that someone would be hindered by an old injury for years but couldn't afford the procedure or time off to get it properly fixed.

Anyway. Yair dazing BJ with a kick and then punching him in the face on the way down was merciless

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Triticum Guzzler posted:

lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Lol

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Triticum Guzzler posted:

lmao

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Yair's kicks are next level good and most would have struggled with him last night.

Sad to see BJ go out like that.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

isk posted:

Semi-effortpost

Miller still being in the UFC is a little weird, but tbh I've always liked him. He's one of those journeymen that the sport is full of - definitely in the right profession but not consistently good enough to contend for a belt. His interviews and call-ins with Sherdog are insightful, like it was wild to me that someone would be hindered by an old injury for years but couldn't afford the procedure or time off to get it properly fixed.

Anyway. Yair dazing BJ with a kick and then punching him in the face on the way down was merciless

We're talking about Cole "Turd" Miller, not Jim "Is cool and good" Miller.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
make bj fight sage !!!! duh!!!

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

Interesting to see that despite having both Jackson and, Winkeljohn and Parillo training and cornering him, they couldn't successfully implement a game plan or defense strategy at all. All this talk of Rousey leaving Coach Edmund, I doubt things would have been much different if she spent that time elsewhere. Despite having the titans of the industry training him, Penn had no answer.

Very satisfying to watch.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

isk posted:

Semi-effortpost

What was his injury issue? He was never great but he wasn't a scrub from the beginning but he's long missed his window to accrue momentum and ascend to greater achievements and now simply seems like he fights for paychecks to mixed results and bad fights

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

TheRationalRedditor posted:

What was his injury issue? He was never great but he wasn't a scrub from the beginning but he's long missed his window to accrue momentum and ascend to greater achievements and now simply seems like he fights for paychecks to mixed results and bad fights

Not 100% sure, think it was his shoulder.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

homercles posted:

Interesting to see that despite having both Jackson and, Winkeljohn and Parillo training and cornering him, they couldn't successfully implement a game plan or defense strategy at all. All this talk of Rousey leaving Coach Edmund, I doubt things would have been much different if she spent that time elsewhere. Despite having the titans of the industry training him, Penn had no answer.

I don't think it's an apt comparison because of the age and time off Penn had. I am basing my opinion off of nothing however.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

homercles posted:

BJ's game plan didn't work because he's nearly 40 and his reflexes and athleticism have deteriorated, which left him unable to implement against a younger, faster, better-conditioned fighter. Ronda has large holes in her standup game because her coach is terrible. The two situations are not analogous and you seem dumb.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

outy
Aug 27, 2004

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/1/16/14287082/ufc-houston-jessica-andrade-vs-angela-hill-wmma-strawweight-mma-news

I think Hill is gonna get bodied but that's a dope matchup

mewse
May 2, 2006

If he paid for his tickets that's loving incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lmao

BJ needs to beat the poo poo out of his manager for letting him sign bouts with loving Frankie Edgar and Yair Rodriguez after sitting around doing nothing for years at a time.

• Locked thread