Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Shockingly that guy survived a multi hundred foot tumble down the steep mountainside and the truck driver turned himself in.

He is banged up bad but stable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Protocol7 posted:

That's actually fair, was running into the same sort of idiots last night when my car was reporting it was 40 degrees out and it was barely snowing. I was an rear end in a top hat started driving really aggressively since I was getting really sick of all of the slow idiots.

When I am passing you by going the speed limit and the roads are barely wet it's a problem. It's a little more justifiable this morning since we got something like 3-5 inches, but when it's warm and slightly damp, just go the loving speed limit.

Same, I have 4wd, good tires, and 20 years of living in Alaska so some snow isn't a big deal to me.

I'd complain louder but I'd bet the people driving around on bald tires are the ones who can't afford to miss a day of work and also cannot afford even $75 for chains :( fuckin capitalism.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

davebo posted:

These fucktards shouldn't be driving in the snow regardless, but did you check to see if it was like most fucktards and are driving around on bald rear end tires they're too poor/lazy to replace that shouldn't be going over 5mph in the snow anyway? This paranoid inconsiderate driving may have inadvertently saved your life.

I live in an area that makes it very appealing to just run worn-down summer tires year-round. Very little precipitation all year and maybe a couple of snow days each winter. However, this year we've gotten 22 inches of snow over a month which really hasn't melted away, either. Apparently some sort of record since 1955.
People are sliding around all over the place. They are crying and whining that the city isn't getting around to their small residential streets and "we can't leave our driveways!".
Ironically, these are the same people that refuse to shovel their own sidewalks and driveways. An acquaintance of my wife quipped that she wasn't going to shovel until the city plowed her road so her and her high-performing V-8 Mustang Convertible could go anywhere. Because it has a V-8 and RWD and lots of power, it is just :siren: incompatible with snow :siren: and therefore the city owed it to her to plow her road.
Same lady refuses to even get snow out of her loving driveway. I've seen the tires on that Mustang and I am therefore not at all surprised she can't go anywhere. Plus, apparently a throttle pedal only has two modes: off or on.

I have been having a blast driving around in all this with proper M+S tires. I really don't get what's so difficult (other than paying for tires, I guess)

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 17, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Phanatic posted:

"Oh no! This snowplow is moving a little bit slower than my tractor-trailer! Better try to pass this poorly-maneuverable vehicle with my poorly-maneuverable vehicle while going around a curve on a snowy road!"

- This fucktard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHXkafQ5pAU

But making a tractor-trailer driver slow down for literally any reason ever could cost them ones of dollars and make them very, very sad (or so I've been told), so clearly that snowplow should have been more considerate about possibly impeding that poor, poor tractor-trailer driver.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
If he was going downhill loaded, I wonder if the trucker might not have been able to slow down. Really, it looked like the truck was in the right lane which was way more clear, I know I have gone around plows if my lane was clear (although never on a highway).

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Powered Descent posted:

Tonight we got a dusting of snow and ice, no big deal.

I was going along at a nice easy 30mph on what looked like a worn-clear section of the four-lane road, and a traffic light waaaay up ahead turned red. So I gently put on the brake, nice and easy.

And the ABS came on, kicking back against my foot. And it stayed on. Even with the constant computer-controlled brake-pumping, I was barely decelerating at all. It took everything I had to keep my foot down and trust that ABS computer as I came sailing up to the brake lights of the car stopped ahead of me at the stoplight. A detached part of my brain counted my mouth saying "gently caress" seven times.

The ABS stopped me with about four feet to spare.

(Deep breath.) gently caress. (Eight.)

When the light changed and I (very carefully) pulled through the intersection, I saw on the cross street a police cruiser parked near several other cars. I couldn't see if any of them had damage to their front or rear bumpers, but I could guess why they were all there.

Put it in neutral or put the clutch in, you'll slow down faster.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I drove up to Big Bear, CA on Friday. Being from the Northeast, the whole time I was laughing at how they require chains for 2WD vehicles because it was snowing even though it was 34 degrees out and the roads had been plowed and were at most just slightly damp. I have an AWD soccer mom crossover, so I was fine to go ahead.

Some of the locals were not impressed.

I later safely passed this guy when he took a turnout. He had chains on all four wheels.

Leaving on Sunday, the roads were now fully clear and dry.

But this guy did something.

The whole front of the roof, from the A pillar to the B pillar, was flat.

edit - In New Jersey, we have a name for the ignorant unwashed masses who show up down the shore in the summertime, bringing their filth and debris and bad accents - "shoobies". I don't know what you would call these people who drive halfway up the mountain to park on the side of the road and block traffic so they can stand in the snow and leave their trash and broken plastic sleds in the forest. Apparently its a thing. Note the park ranger towing cars all over the place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ5vxsIviiY

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 17, 2017

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

But this guy did something.

The whole front of the roof, from the A pillar to the B pillar, was flat.

Looks like he took his tire chains off. :colbert:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Good lord, Big Bear on the weekends is hell for me. All the "flatlands" as the locals affectionately call them just go crazy and park anywhere to get 20 minutes to touching snow, then head back down the mountain.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Good lord, Big Bear on the weekends is hell for me. All the "flatlands" as the locals affectionately call them just go crazy and park anywhere to get 20 minutes to touching snow, then head back down the mountain.

I had no idea. I used to spend weekends in the Poconos, where "heavy traffic" was seeing a car driving the opposite way. My in-laws' house where we stayed is within walking distance of the Bear Mountain ski slope, it was horrible. A line of cars up Moonridge from 7:00 am through the day. The house across from us rented by dumbass 22 year olds with WRXs. The clatter of tire chains on the dry asphalt. Not my idea of "getting away from it all."

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Crotch Fruit posted:

If he was going downhill loaded, I wonder if the trucker might not have been able to slow down. Really, it looked like the truck was in the right lane which was way more clear, I know I have gone around plows if my lane was clear (although never on a highway).

The right lane was clear, but the snow plow was pushing snow up into the air into the right lane. The trucker was blinded by the snow and did not see that the road was turning right, so he went straight while the plow went right and then the fucktardery happened. Trucker is totally at fault for trying to pass a plow on the right in a curvy canyon pass. And he was a long nose pete with straight pipes pulling a flatbed so it's not some rookie Swiftie, he's an owner op that should know better.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 17, 2017

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

FogHelmut posted:

I don't know what you would call these people who drive halfway up the mountain to park on the side of the road and block traffic so they can stand in the snow and leave their trash and broken plastic sleds in the forest.

"Valued Citizens"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Trickle down economics, they show up and create jobs to clean up the garbage and spend money on overpriced tourist trap food.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
It was me, I was the person you share the road with. Turning left onto a one way street I scared an old woman crossing the street. I knew I wasn't going to run her down but she sure didn't know that. She scurried across with all haste and waved to me in apology. Sorry lady.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
So the company I'm working for now has a specific thing in their handbook that says that if you work on a claim and write a car off as a total you can't then buy the car.

It's amazing how much more clever people are when they are gaming a system then when they're creating the system.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Eifert Posting posted:

So the company I'm working for now has a specific thing in their handbook that says that if you work on a claim and write a car off as a total you can't then buy the car.

It's amazing how much more clever people are when they are gaming a system then when they're creating the system.

What about family members?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That clause is pretty standard and it extends to buying salvage yourself or close family typically. You can buy salvage but usually just best to avoid anything coming from a vendor you may use.

Reminds me of a commercial adjuster who would write checks to one tow company for towing semis after an accident. The problem was there was no tow, and after investigating they determined he used his SSN as the tax ID for the tow company he made. Welcome to jail.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

That clause is pretty standard and it extends to buying salvage yourself or close family typically. You can buy salvage but usually just best to avoid anything coming from a vendor you may use.

Reminds me of a commercial adjuster who would write checks to one tow company for towing semis after an accident. The problem was there was no tow, and after investigating they determined he used his SSN as the tax ID for the tow company he made. Welcome to jail.

I bolded his mistake.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Platystemon posted:

I bolded his mistake.

I love this.

Eventually he would have got busted because tows for semis cost a mint and someone would have figured out something was amiss. So easy to verify.

"Hey Bobs Auto Shop, was that truck towed in?"
"No their driver drove it in yesterday"

Repeat a few times and you've pretty much concluded that investigation.

I will say that inside fraud is pretty rare because it's difficult and there is so much consumer fraud attempted that there is a pretty rigorous process to investigate.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

sleepy.eyes posted:

It was me, I was the person you share the road with. Turning left onto a one way street I scared an old woman crossing the street. I knew I wasn't going to run her down but she sure didn't know that. She scurried across with all haste and waved to me in apology. Sorry lady.

You monster!

Edit: Is this the thread equivalent to "humble brags" in the Bad With Money thread?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
These are the Prius drivers you share your light-industrial zoning with:

http://www.wthr.com/article/car-crashes-into-northwest-indianapolis-building-one-critically-injured

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So I have found a way to get more adrenaline pumping through my body than car racing ever did, and at the same time make myself truly appreciate how relatively normal the drivers in the Phoenix area really are.

I drove my car into Tijuana last weekend.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Last night I was on the highway, got into the left lane to pass one of the only two other cars ahead of me that I could see. As I started to pass the second car a few seconds later he cut me off, laid on his brakes, and flipped me off with both hands.

What.

Why.

I wasn't even going that much faster, they were doing like 55 in a 50 (I really hate that so many of our highways are 50MPH here, what the gently caress. These are two or three lanes each way with either jersey barriers or full grass medians between them, not like a one lane each way "highway"), and I was at 65ish toodling past.

I guess I should have been doing 100 so he couldn't have seen me to change lanes before I was long gone.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The problem was there was no tow, and after investigating they determined he used his SSN as the tax ID for the tow company he made. Welcome to jail.
Depending on the state, that's exactly how a small businesses can be formed. I have a small business and my tax ID is my SSN and use a DBA. Of course fraud is a separate issue.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dteyy5mFjt4

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Anyone have any deets on whether police would actually care if you called about a driver like that and provided a plate number? Do they visit the owner or not? I imagine it would differ by location but would be surprised if police followed up on that anywhere.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Michael Scott posted:

Anyone have any deets on whether police would actually care if you called about a driver like that and provided a plate number? Do they visit the owner or not? I imagine it would differ by location but would be surprised if police followed up on that anywhere.

At the very least, the police might become interested if the same vehicle you described gets into a wreck in the immediate future, which doesn’t seem too unlikely.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

No, but you see, he drives a SMART.

He's saving the planet.

He's taking up less space.

He's SMARTer than you.

Your rules don't apply to him.

I loving hate smart car drivers. They're like Prius drivers with 70% more smugness.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I've seen a million prius drivers on the road but haven't noticed any being douches.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
There is, I assume, an employee at a shopping complex near me, who drives one of those little micro-cars, and somehow even with it being the size of a golf cart, he still can't park it between the god damned lines of the parking space. It wasn't once I noticed this, but every single day. Just how the gently caress do you manage that?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Javid posted:

There is, I assume, an employee at a shopping complex near me, who drives one of those little micro-cars, and somehow even with it being the size of a golf cart, he still can't park it between the god damned lines of the parking space. It wasn't once I noticed this, but every single day. Just how the gently caress do you manage that?

Some people do that deliberately to keep other cars far enough away not to ding them when they open the doors. As long as it's not prime parking spaces I don't really mind.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ei154mqsxY

Nearly got him.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Javid posted:

Pick it up and move it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Actually don't because touching someone's car is an unforgivable sin and goons will explain why in exhaustive detail.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

No, but you see, he drives a SMART.

He's saving the planet.

He's taking up less space.

He's SMARTer than you.

Your rules don't apply to him.

I loving hate smart car drivers. They're like Prius drivers with 70% more smugness.

maybe you shouldn't be so mad at what someone chooses to drive

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's okay to hate Smart cars and people that purchase them because they are expensive and have literally no redeeming qualities whatsoever, whereas even I can admit that a Prius is probably the right car for some people. And if you're in a situation where they are often a very good choice, there's car2go (which I assume exists in some form in every city worth a gently caress if it's in Calgary of all places).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They don't care about the car, it's a rant about the idiot driving it.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Just put the chibicar into the cart corral.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
draw an anime blush under the headlights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

PT6A posted:

It's okay to hate Smart cars and people that purchase them because they are expensive and have literally no redeeming qualities whatsoever, whereas even I can admit that a Prius is probably the right car for some people. And if you're in a situation where they are often a very good choice, there's car2go (which I assume exists in some form in every city worth a gently caress if it's in Calgary of all places).

cool but why give a poo poo

also i had to look up car2go and they're in 7 US cities. 7.