Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I'm thinking of going with the RVZ01-E since I'd rather shop around for ATX power supplies since it's easier to find a high quality PSU for cheap, and I'd like 4 2.5" slots (OS SSD, game SSD, game HDD, capture HDD) without needing a shorty card, plus I'm moving the optical drive duty to some video recorder box (which will use my current SFF case) anyway, and I'll live with having an unused blu-ray burner drive since I have a better full size one.

Anyone have a better suggestion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Node 304 will take up to 6 drives, a full ATX PSU and a full length card if so desired. Be mindful of the PSU size and card length if you go that route, though.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I'm placing it vertically and the maximum width I want the PC to have is 4.5 inches :ohdear:

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I'm thinking of going with the RVZ01-E since I'd rather shop around for ATX power supplies since it's easier to find a high quality PSU for cheap, and I'd like 4 2.5" slots (OS SSD, game SSD, game HDD, capture HDD) without needing a shorty card, plus I'm moving the optical drive duty to some video recorder box (which will use my current SFF case) anyway, and I'll live with having an unused blu-ray burner drive since I have a better full size one.

Anyone have a better suggestion?

Wait for the FTZ01-E because it's sexier and that curvel front bezel is just begging for some sort of vinyl mod.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

A FTZ01-E with 70's style timber/aluminium finish would basically be the greatest.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

dy. posted:

I think you just need to figure out what you want. You're not going to gently caress anything up as long as you don't try to go super-small; maybe stay away from the very small cases for a first-time build.

One thing to consider about the Fractal Nano is that the PSU is RIGHT NEXT to the GPU. So at least one GPU fan is going to be more or less blocked, which may or may not make it better to consider a blower GPU if the thermals are bothersome.

Also throwing in my vote again for the thermaltake core v1. As long as your GPU isn't hilariously long, it'll fit it.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Well, to be entirely fair, the mitx cases that are the same size as µatx cases are much easier to work in. my brother got a µatx case about the same size as the manta, and holy crap is that thing cramped.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
My first build was in a Bitfenix Prodigy and while it felt cheap and was ugly as sin it's real easy to work in

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

nzxt is doing a daily countdown on twitter, tomorrow is zero. so i guess, no one buy a case for the next day or two.

hopefully it's an even bigger itx box

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Lol

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

well, its not wrong. If I have the key available right on the keyboard, why not use it?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Because everyone calls it mATX so using µatx is just cumbersome? You're not wrong, that's a valid name but to me t's equivalent to thesaurus abuse.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
mATX: halfway between µATX and normal ATX.

Cool ⁊ good

You should’ve seen the time I spelled “cooperate” with a diĉresis.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

µATX is correct. mATX is obviously milli-ATX. :colbert:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

where the gently caress is my nano-atx

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

where the gently caress is my nano-atx
There is no such thing but Nano-ITX exists, no PCI slot, one SODIMM, used mostly for embedded systems. VIA made a bunch back when they were around.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Node 304 will take up to 6 drives, a full ATX PSU and a full length card if so desired. Be mindful of the PSU size and card length if you go that route, though.

The problem is width, "cube"-style cases aren't actually smaller in any reasonable use case at a desk than a narrower tower

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

HalloKitty posted:

The problem is width, "cube"-style cases aren't actually smaller in any reasonable use case at a desk than a narrower tower

Yeah, pretty much. I was almost all set to buy a Core V21 until I did some math and realized that a Silverstone Temjim is actually smaller.

cubes are still cool though

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

cubes make sense if you have specific shape requirements (like shelving or something to place it on) or just really, really love minecraft.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

cubes are great if you really need to stuff 8 or more drives in the smallest vertical space possible

not so much otherwise

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

well, its not wrong. If I have the key available right on the keyboard, why not use it?

What keyboard has a mu character on it? Or are you typing in the alt code? Either way, lol.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
AZERTY has it accessible with a simple alt+ or shift+ combination. I have absolute no idea exactly why as I can't think of a single French word or term that uses micro sign

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

On the international layout it's AltGr+m, as one would expect.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

What keyboard has a mu character on it? Or are you typing in the alt code? Either way, lol.

OsX has it with alt-m ;)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Cardboard Box A posted:

There is no such thing but Nano-ITX exists, no PCI slot, one SODIMM, used mostly for embedded systems. VIA made a bunch back when they were around.

There's also mini STX now.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

japtor posted:

There's also mini STX now.
a shame you can only put things without integrated graphics worth a gently caress in those :rip:

why yes i would like to have a huge lead box right next to my bento-box sized computer

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Aside from SFF GPUs, is there any promise on the horizon for a trend towards smaller midrange/high end graphics cards? I feel like every computer upgrade I've had has been met with a larger and larger GPU.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
You can find short or single slot versions of some mid/high end cards, but they are never going to move that direction as a whole because of how hard cooling becomes. More or less every medium/high end card in the last few years seems to be the same size. Dual slot and around 10-11" long.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Zotac does have a 'short' (about as long as a mini-itx board) 1070 and 1080 (though I believe the short 1080 still has heatsink sticking out off the edge of the PCB). Asus and gigabyte also did short versions of the 970, and probably did/will do the 1070 as well.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Dali Parton posted:

Aside from SFF GPUs, is there any promise on the horizon for a trend towards smaller midrange/high end graphics cards? I feel like every computer upgrade I've had has been met with a larger and larger GPU.

A bunch of the AIB Partners build them up bigger, but the reference cooler has always been the same size. The AIB Partners also have versions that are the same size as reference, but with dual fan designs. They just tend to be the less factory OCed models.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

There's a short 1060, 1070 and 1080 as well as stuff like the R9 Nano. The 1050 can be small, too. I'd like nothing more than to see wider adoption of the smaller form factor for GPUs. Gamers love sagging big GPUs though.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

I know the thread mostly cares about mITX, but would this be a good place to ask about smaller mATX cases as well?

I have an MSI GTX970 Gaming 100ME (277mm), an EVGA P2 650W (165mm), and a Cryorig H7 (145mm). The former two of which I plan on keeping for now, the latter of which I'd prefer to keep, but am willing to replace.

I know Silverstone has a few very small mATX Sugo cases, and the Bitfenix Phenom M (and Prodigy M and Colossus M, but eh) is also pretty small for a mATX case. As far as I can tell, all of those should be able to fit at least my GPU+PSU. Are there any other notable cases I've missed, preferably around $100 or less? I do prefer the aesthetic of the Phenom over the Sugos, though the Sugo 11 and 12 are alright. Though quality is still more important than aesthetics.

I know that as you decrease case size, it gets more difficult to keep it cool/quiet, but are any of those cases particularly good about thermals and noise? I'm running a 6700K with a very mild overclock of 4.5GHz@1.296V (which runs pretty cool with the H7); should that cause any problems in such a small case? If I get a case where I need to replace the H7, do you have any recommendations? Is this a situation where I should be considering getting an AIO liquid cooler?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

The Rosewill Line-M is the smallest mATX case I've found, and it's under $50. The gaudy blue 120mm fan is entirely optional :haw:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

They're expensive, and not the smallest of the small, but the CaseLabs BH4 is appealing to me. 22L is still smaller than some "itx" cases on the market.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

well why not posted:

There's a short 1060, 1070 and 1080 as well as stuff like the R9 Nano. The 1050 can be small, too. I'd like nothing more than to see wider adoption of the smaller form factor for GPUs. Gamers love sagging big GPUs though.
Yeah there's not a trend towards it, but at least there's a few options.

...except the other AMD GPUs :iiam:. Are there short versions of any of the 4xx series?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
TDPs have been dropping too, so there should be a greater capability for smaller cards these days, but yeah, not sure the enthusiast market is there for it.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

well, people can't be stuck forever at GK209/Oland can they :ohdear:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I just wish Cryorig would give an update on the Ola, because I'm that tool guy who wants to move his system into a cylindrical case.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

fourwood posted:

TDPs have been dropping too, so there should be a greater capability for smaller cards these days, but yeah, not sure the enthusiast market is there for it.
They'd be nice for less humongous eGPU boxes...but the only ones coming out so far are all for the biggest possible GPUs.

(I just thought of this cause I saw some article with the Akitio box today, drat thing looked as big as the Ncase. Probably wasn't, but stilled looked ridiculously huge for what's inside)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

SamDabbers posted:

The Rosewill Line-M is the smallest mATX case I've found, and it's under $50. The gaudy blue 120mm fan is entirely optional :haw:

Thanks, I'll add that to the list of cases to consider.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

They're expensive, and not the smallest of the small, but the CaseLabs BH4 is appealing to me. 22L is still smaller than some "itx" cases on the market.

That does look nice, but a tad bit out of my price range :v: 22L just beats out the SG11, the smallest mATX I'd found so far that would fit my components.

I suppose I should clarify a bit, though. I'm not necessarily looking for the absolute smallest case I can get (though I'm also not against it.) I have a Corsair 300R (54L) which is much larger than I'd like. Last time I upgraded, I got a mATX board because I don't need that many PCIe slots, and figured that'd let me eventually switch to a much smaller case; when I get around to actually looking at mATX cases, most of them are barely smaller than the smaller ATX cases! I'll be happy with something around, say, 30L or less.