Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

EorayMel posted:

what it becomes is entirely a function of what it can do

I remember reading this thing before about how bitcoin is the most amazing thing to happen to the planet since the human brain, but reading it again I feel like the phrase above is like another way of saying it's a solution looking for a problem.

Baiku posted:

It's almost too late boys.

That is some genuine bitcoin TA right there! :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaghetioSexNoises
Aug 16, 2015

quote:

Digital currency exchange Coinbase said today that it will stop serving customers in Hawaii following regulatory changes in the US state.

The startup said that it received word last September from the Hawaii Division of Financial Institutions that it would be required to hold cash reserves equal to any digital currency-denominated funds held for its customers. Citing the cost burden this requirement creates, Coinbase said that it would require its customers in Hawaii to close their accounts in the next 30 days and remove any funds they may be using the service to store.

Owned.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Baiku posted:

No we're parabolic now.

THE MARKET HAS PLANTAINED!!! SELL SELL SELL!!!

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Sometimes I mix honey mustard, sriracha, ketchup, and bbq sauce together and toss in some wings. I'm pretty sure honey mustard goes with everything.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Bitcoins are dumb but there is this long running meme on here about how it is impossible to cash out...

no it isn't :shrug:

If it was then it wouldn't be so popular in China bc the entire point is that it is a way to convert domestic capital to foreign capital without the Chinese gov'ts taxation/blocks.

Sure you won't get millions out of it in any reasonable (by modern banking standards) timeframe but you can get under say like $50k out fairly easily.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Moridin920 posted:

Bitcoins are dumb but there is this long running meme on here about how it is impossible to cash out...

no it isn't :shrug:

If it was then it wouldn't be so popular in China bc the entire point is that it is a way to convert domestic capital to foreign capital without the Chinese gov'ts taxation/blocks.

Sure you won't get millions out of it in any reasonable (by modern banking standards) timeframe but you can get under say like $50k out fairly easily.

Try it and report back then.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
goons are wrong on pretty much every subject so its no surprise to me that bitcoins are cool n good

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They're dumb and bad I just dunno where this "you can't get anything out" thing is coming from other than some old adage that has been passed through BTC thread to BTC thread over the years.

Paladinus posted:

Try it and report back then.

Worked just fine a couple years ago and I don't see why it would be any different now aside from random poo poo like the exchange getting "hacked." But that's a risk you bear with BTC in general (which is why they are still stupid).

Look if you don't like my China argument consider this: if you could not get real money out then no one would sell real drugs in exchange for BTC.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Moridin920 posted:

Worked just fine a couple years ago and I don't see why it would be any different now aside from random poo poo like the exchange getting "hacked." But that's a risk you bear with BTC in general (which is why they are still stupid).

One of my favorite things the chinese miners did recently was make 50k~ spam transactions and jacked up the fee so you either had to wait a week (complete with a psa saying DON'T USE BITCOIN TODAY OR IF YOU DO USE IT ONLY FOR IMPORTANT TRANSACTIONS OTHERWISE YOU'RE RUINING IT FOR EVERYBODY :byodood:) or pay a high no fee. Directly into their pockets because they control enough of the mining power they can do it.

I think that's what happened. With bitcoin you can never truly know.

You can still cash out, true, it's just really, really hard. If you want fiat, you either hit up a bitcoin exchange and hope it goes smoothly without your funds getting stolen by the exchange/put on hold forever/exchange goes up in smoke, or you go the localbitcoins route and risk getting mugged in a parking lot.
There's always going to a dark net and buying drugs and the occasional full-auto russian shotgun that may get intercepted by the ATF. Or the twelve-step gift card route which is another story.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Tech question: If China outlaws this poo poo and raids the miners tomorrow how long does the "frisbee on the roof" scenario last?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

EorayMel posted:

You can still cash out, true, it's just really, really hard. If you want fiat, you either hit up a bitcoin exchange and hope it goes smoothly without your funds getting stolen by the exchange/put on hold forever/exchange goes up in smoke, or you go the localbitcoins route and risk getting mugged in a parking lot.

That's true but honestly if you use one of the "major" exchanges and you're moving a couple thousand the odds of the former happening are not very great. Some of those exchanges are doing millions of USD in volume every day.

I wouldn't go the localbitcoins route though yeah lol that's sketch.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Moridin920 posted:

That's true but honestly if you use one of the "major" exchanges and you're moving a couple thousand the odds of the former happening are not very great. Some of those exchanges are doing millions of USD in volume every day.

I wouldn't go the localbitcoins route though yeah lol that's sketch.

Coinbase, the one mentioned earlier about dropping business with Hawaiian clients due to reservation policies, has a long history of randomly stealing deposits from people. Or asking for uncomfortable amounts of personal information before doing business with them when it's supposed to be ~anonymous~.
Similar deal with an exchange called bitfinex. They got hacked and some people lost all the bitcoins they put in, others were totally unaffected because they dealt in USD. So the exchange straight-up stole funds from other people to cover the BTC losses so the burden of this hack was helped spread equally.

I mean, I get your options are few and far between when it comes to bitcoin, but surely you'd move on to a different, similar big exchange after hearing or having that poo poo happen to you, right?
lol butts

Razorwired posted:

Tech question: If China outlaws this poo poo and raids the miners tomorrow how long does the "frisbee on the roof" scenario last?
I don't know, and I think it will be a while before the Chinese government pulls the plug on the bitcoin happenings there. A few dudes stealing electricity to fuel their warehouse crammed with electronics sacrificed to bitcoin is low on the list as national issues are concerned over there.

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

Bitcoin isn't that great but it's probably easier to make money trading BTC-USD than most Forex pairs.

Lupin
Feb 21, 2007
There's a Bitcoin ATM in a dark corner next to the sketchy washrooms of a lovely mall close to me. Never seen the machine being used, but it's on all the time, and it's right next to a a set of grungy gumball and crane-game machines that haven't been touched in years.

You can cash out up to $1000 dollars at a time, but you have to phone some 1-800 number if you want to sell anything more than that.
Feel free to send me your fiat money so I can get you in on this extremely legitimate currency.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like there's no way that thing isn't keylogging everyone's poo poo lmao

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Bitcoin ATMs are a funny concept because it takes upwards of 10 minutes for a transaction to complete and sometimes much longer.

I remember some goon trying out a small transaction at an ATM like that and being stuck for about an hour. ~The currency of the future, but not the present~

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

One of the most famous original bitcoin exchanges, Mt.Gox, was not named after an obsure mountain but is short for "Magic the Gathering: Online Exchange"

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

butt

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

coine

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Spatial posted:

One of the most famous original bitcoin exchanges, Mt.Gox, was not named after an obsure mountain but is short for "Magic the Gathering: Online Exchange"

Everyone keeps saying this but no one has ever shown real proof. :shrug:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

the BTC truncation has always irritated me, because the way my mind's eye pronounces it when I read it is "buh - teh - cuh" but bitcoin is a two syllable word so i get thrown off pace while reading it and my day is ruined

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

500 good dogs posted:

Why would you doubt it? It's a completely plausible explanation for what would otherwise be an extremely weird name, no other origin of the name has been proffered, it's been cited multiple times in fact-checked articles by major publications, and it hasn't been disputed by any of the involved parties. I'm pretty sure you can probably email Jed McCaleb if you really have doubts about this one weird fact, but lmao

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
CARL MARK FORCE IV.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

LGD posted:

Why would you doubt it? It's a completely plausible explanation for what would otherwise be an extremely weird name, no other origin of the name has been proffered, it's been cited multiple times in fact-checked articles by major publications, and it hasn't been disputed by any of the involved parties. I'm pretty sure you can probably email Jed McCaleb if you really have doubts about this one weird fact, but lmao

:cripes: MY FACT-CHECKED ARTICLES :cripes:

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
bitcoin (and blockchain tech in general) has some incredibly obvious scaling issues and it still blows my mind that people just kind of blithely ignore it as though they're going to disappear one day

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

500 good dogs posted:

I can't say I blame you for being skeptical. Funny but true is the nature of bitcoin though! https://web.archive.org/web/20070525044536/http://mtgox.com/gwt/mtgox.php

I can't remember the guy's name, but the same fella later transformed it into a bitcoin exchange. After a couple of years he sold it to another source of laughs, Mark Karpeles, who later went to Japanese prison and partially evaporated.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Someone recount the tale of Butterfly Labs so I can read it at work tomorrow morning. Thank you and good night. :)

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
bitcoin Bitcoin Bitcoin bitcoin. BITCOIN satoshi bitcoin?????

gently caress I love hearing about how rich I would have been if bitcoin bitcoin!!!!

Always bet on BITCOIn bitch

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
hey op do you also wish you had invested in mortgage backed securities and collateralized debt obligations?

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

numberoneposter posted:

the only proper application of ketchup is on french fries that have already been drowned in salt and vinegar IMO

pozz my neg fryhole

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

Tricky D posted:

Dunning Krugerands

Autism Kroners

Pounds Spergling

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Math based beanie babies

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

EorayMel posted:

Similar deal with an exchange called bitfinex. They got hacked and some people lost all the bitcoins they put in, others were totally unaffected because they dealt in USD. So the exchange straight-up stole funds from other people to cover the BTC losses so the burden of this hack was helped spread equally.

So what, you lose 20% of your funds, but that's better than having 100% of your funds trapped in some lovely country maybe? Sorry for your loss if you live in a place like that.

Probably people trying to buy their tickets out of lovely third-world countries also get scammed regularly. Much like how bitcoin works, I guess that's the price of having to do business with criminals.

Oops, I was expressing sympathy for those less fortunate than me there. What I meant to say was we should build a wall to keep out the bitcoiners and refuse them visas. I mean refuse more of them visas, and refuse them more permanently, not like Roger Ver who eventually got back in. Maybe if they're already citizens, then renounce their citizenships for them.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Buttcoin purse posted:

So what, you lose 20% of your funds, but that's better than having 100% of your funds trapped in some lovely country maybe? Sorry for your loss if you live in a place like that.

Probably people trying to buy their tickets out of lovely third-world countries also get scammed regularly. Much like how bitcoin works, I guess that's the price of having to do business with criminals.

Oops, I was expressing sympathy for those less fortunate than me there. What I meant to say was we should build a wall to keep out the bitcoiners and refuse them visas. I mean refuse more of them visas, and refuse them more permanently, not like Roger Ver who eventually got back in. Maybe if they're already citizens, then renounce their citizenships for them.

Freestyle
Sep 2, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Life pro tip for OP:

Do the opposite of whatever the general consensus is around here regarding anything. You'll have a great life.

Dammit, you could have been a millionaire by now!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Paladinus posted:

CARL MARK FORCE IV.

That saga is like a real life Archer episode

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
why dont we base our currency on something like say a rare material that is attractive, extremely malleable and has been highly valued for thousands of years

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'm getting in on the ground floor of mercury coin

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

buckets of buckets posted:

why dont we base our currency on something like say a rare material that is attractive, extremely malleable and has been highly valued for thousands of years

u talkin bout LOVE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

My currency will be backed by unununium.

• Locked thread