Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 minutes!
Game will probably be good. It's a ME game afterall. At least get your money's worth ha ha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

JBP posted:

We aren't talking about some poverty stricken, backwater studio struggling to train up new people here...

And the new talent will likely be overworked until they quit like the old guard, and the cycle begins again.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

a.lo posted:

Game will probably be good. It's a ME game afterall. At least get your money's worth ha ha

Utnayan warned us about you and about this ending, but we didn't listen.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

JBP posted:

We aren't talking about some poverty stricken, backwater studio struggling to train up new people here...

This really does just scream "management incompetence" more than anything else. You don't work for 5-odd years on a sequel to a well-respected franchise and come out with a 20 hour passably okay third-person ARPG with mediocre writing and a semitrailer filled with absolutely hilarious animation and VAing gaffes unless the boat that was the ME:A team was adrift at sea without a captain.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I wonder if naming the game "Andromeda: A Mass Effect adventure" or similar would have helped in avoiding a lot of the criticism.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 20, 2017

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Utnayan warned us about you and about this ending, but we didn't listen.

You made this necessary! Your defiance earned this! Your people will beg and there will be no mercy!

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

gmq posted:

I wonder if naming the game "Andromeda: A Mass Effect adventure" would have helped in avoiding a lot of the criticism.

Somewhat. Would've lowered expectations and initial sales, while potentially giving the developers cover to take more risks. It would've been a hard fight to win with marketing and branding personnel.

buglord posted:

Isn't management incompetence generally the main killer of games? Simcity 2013 and Spore died in very similar ways to this right?

Often times yes, along with unnecessary publisher interference and Dunning-Kruger auteurs. Usually it's not due to the baseline-to-senior level talent, provided they're in house for most/all of the development cycle.

isk fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 20, 2017

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Vermain posted:

This really does just scream "management incompetence" more than anything else. You don't work for 5-odd years on a sequel to a well-respected franchise and come out with a 20 hour passably okay third-person ARPG with mediocre writing and a semitrailer filled with absolutely hilarious animation and VAing gaffes unless the boat that was the ME:A team was adrift at sea without a captain.

Isn't management incompetence generally the main killer of games? Simcity 2013 and Spore died in very similar ways to this right?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

monster on a stick posted:

You made this necessary! Your defiance earned this! Your people will beg and there will be no mercy!

*in an incredibly volus voice* ?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

So I think the Turian ark is hosed, because there's achievements for finding the other 2 arks, but nothing for the Turian one.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Vermain posted:

The series needed a total teardown with a new engine and some guys who worked on the engine to compete with poo poo like REDengine and whatever dark power went into Horizon. The whole thing just looks like EA is wringing blood out of the ME brand.

I'm interested to know what the budget for the game was as well.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

orange juche posted:

So I think the Turian ark is hosed, because there's achievements for finding the other 2 arks, but nothing for the Turian one.

dlc

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Did people actually unlock this somehow? Using a Korean VPN just moves my time to 10am tomorrow instead of 11pm, but I see lots of people streaming the full game.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

gmq posted:

I wonder if naming the game "Andromeda: A Mass Effect adventure" or similar would have helped in avoiding a lot of the criticism.

People said the same thing about DA2.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Frustrated posted:

Did people actually unlock this somehow? Using a Korean VPN just moves my time to 10am tomorrow instead of 11pm, but I see lots of people streaming the full game.

People are streaming press copies.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I asked before if I was seeing what happened with DA2, but now I'm wondering if I'm seeing something worse

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

JBP posted:

The series needed a total teardown with a new engine and some guys who worked on the engine to compete with poo poo like REDengine and whatever dark power went into Horizon.
It's the Frostbite engine, it's not the problem.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Frustrated posted:

EA lifted the streaming embargo today so people with actual copies started streaming. The review embargo lifts tomorrow with the release of the game. Or in two hours (midnight pst), I forget which.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Dragon Age: Inquisition was made with Frostbite, and while it was nowhere close to the likes of Horizon or TW3, I don't think there was anything approaching the stuff going on in MEA

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

SgtSteel91 posted:

I asked before if I was seeing what happened with DA2, but now I'm wondering if I'm seeing something worse

DA2 suffered due to a lack of more environments, an enemy spawn system that didn't make any loving sense, and an Orsino that was a fuckup. I liked the overall feel of DA2 and wish they'd had more than a year or whatever nutso time frame it was that they put that game out in.

Admiral Ray fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 20, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Then I should have said rebuild their tools for making a game in it or whatever. They did a good job on static poo poo like scenery as far as I can tell, even if it isn't that exciting to look at.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

buglord posted:

*in an incredibly volus voice* ?

Watch the ending :allears:

Nichael posted:

People said the same thing about DA2.

I thought DA2 was supposed to be a Dragon Age sidestory originally.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Can VideoGames close this thread since it's full of people who will never play it already taking about the ending before it's even come out?

When the game comes out I'd like to talk to people actually playing it, but that isn't going to happen in this thread so I'm going to leave it. Hopefully a new one can be made to talk about the game and maybe just leave this for people who want to keep making fun of it and spoiling it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

ApeHawk posted:

When people are talking about good and bad ME endings, are they talking post-final boss fight, or during-final boss fight?

Because if we go with the former, then the first two ME games' endings were pretty much the same: "The reapers are coming." while ME3's was "okay the reapers came, now choose which color to do with them." The first two were sequel-baiting and not conclusive or even changing based on your decisions, and the third one that did give decisions was universally seen as an insult, even post-patch.

If it's the latter, then honestly the third one was less tropey. The first two had final boss fights, despite what decisions you made (ME1: oh, you convinced Saren he was wrong and got him to kill himself? too bad, fight him as a zombie anyway.), and most of the decisions you DID make in ME1 didn't really have a big, if at all, impact in the next games. And the ones that did have an impact, no one really cared for. ME3's ending was basically a hail mary rush to the Citadel, wherein you meet your admiral and have one final bro moment with him, before going to the hated part of it. No final boss, no after-party, no fanfare.

So, yeah, if the MEA ending is the other bad guy is coming also make decisions that may affect the sequel that you all knew Bioware was going to make then I don't exactly dislike it nor do I know what else they could've done to improve it. All ME endings have just been "meh" to me, nothing new. Doesn't stop me from looking forward to them.

Plus, this is new blood working on the game. It's kinda unfair (from my standpoint, anyway) to expect greatness out of them from an IP they have no experience with at all, especially when they have to live up to such high expectations. Maybe the sequel will be a triumph for them, after they got their feet wet with this one.

ME1's ending sequence is probably the best in the series. Walking up the Citadel Tower while Sovereign hangs above, a final conversation with Saren where you can convince him to shoot himself, and a one-on-one confrontation with Sovereign's avatar (meaning both key mechanics of Mass Effect are used and are relevant). Outside, there's a huge fleet battle waging. Shepard gets to make some choices with the Council. The score is really good.

ME2's ending grabs you by the balls as soon as you hit the Omega-4 relay and never lets up. Decisions come into play, potentially killing members of your squad before you even set foot on the base. You blow up the Collector ship which killed you years ago. On the base, you get the usual ME2 gunplay but you also need to think about who you put where. The Human Reaper was a unique final enemy. Shepard gets to make choices with the Illusive Man. The score is exhilarating. The final cutscene ("Human, you've changed nothing") is fantastic and the game ends on a very strong note: the Reapers are coming, but we will find a way to beat them. The whole game led to this ending and it shows.

ME3 is wonky from the teleport beam onwards, but really only gets outright bad (according to most) when Shepard ascends to meet the Catalyst AI. Even then, you can't deny Hudson and Walters had a distinct vision and idea. The score is also really good. The gameplay isn't as good as ME2, and there's nothing like the Collector Base assault mechanics, but things like the end run to the beam while Harbinger blasts away at your keeps it interesting. The ending feels slapped together but it gels, just maybe not perfectly.

MEA's ending sequence is, well... boring. You fight waves of bad guys in the same big room and press about half a dozen buttons while your other sibling tells you to do it over the radio (why the Archon didn't, say, put a single guard on him to stop this is unclear). You press the buttons and the Archon falls over, dead - there's not even a 'shoot him in the head to make sure' like with Saren. It has no fanfare, no anything. Then the credits roll after two lines from Ryder ("We're home"). There are no big choices or, really, much in the way of conversation. The Archon sounds exactly like the Didact from Halo 4. The score is bland and uninteresting, and I say this as someone who loves game/movie soundtracks. Roll credits, and there's a Marvel-esque shot of the real bad guy. Post credits, you make the same choice Shepard did in ME1 - put someone on the Council.

It is, however, good that they pulled a quote from Mac Walters, though, and gave it to the Didact: "You made this necessary! Your defiance earned this! Your people will beg and there will be no mercy!"

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah it'd be cool if people stop spoiling the ending but that's basically impossible now

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

SgtSteel91 posted:

DA2 got hosed because EA gave them about a year to make it. That doesn't absolve it from being a bad game but it has an excuse.

Unless information comes that EA starved the team of resources or whatever, Andromeda does not have that excuse.

Jesus Christ you babies all the ending spoilers have been behind tags maybe don't roll your mouse over the giant black bars gently caress

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SgtSteel91 posted:

DA2 was a planned experiment that had a lot going for it in theory.

MEA is just a dumpsterfire.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I thought DA2 was supposed to be a Dragon Age sidestory originally.

Uh, kind of. I don't think it was intended to be a "sidestory" but originally it was called "Dragon Age: Exodus", since they didn't want Dragon Age games to have numerical sequels. That's also why the 3 was dropped from Inquisition eventually. I think it was always a full fledged sequel though, it just wasn't necessarily supposed to come out after ten months of development.

Drifter posted:

How's Andromeda classify as a dumpsterfire though? The actual story of a lot of Bioware games isn't that great, it's often saved by character writing. I think that's hard to assess from just watching random YouTube videos.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 20, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Drifter posted:

DA2 ran like poo poo and wasn't a fun game in a lot of ways, but I still went "yeah ok I see what you were doing there."

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Frustrated posted:

Use a better VPN, mine says 11am EDT.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Okay, that explains it. I guess I was just thinking from a "results of the ending" point of view, not a "final act" one. Thank you.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Codependent Poster posted:

Can VideoGames close this thread since it's full of people who will never play it already taking about the ending before it's even come out?

When the game comes out I'd like to talk to people actually playing it, but that isn't going to happen in this thread so I'm going to leave it. Hopefully a new one can be made to talk about the game and maybe just leave this for people who want to keep making fun of it and spoiling it.

Sorry, but ME:A spoiled itself, like a old banana sitting out in the sun for a week.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

We are all just travelers in an Ark heading towards release date but the Ark is going to blow up soon.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
gonna be honest, the sheer jankiness of the game almost makes me want to buy. I was thinking it was all boring bad, but it's goofy bad, fractally goofy in a way I didn't expect

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

I'd like to see a game where the glowy bits are actually not a weak point at all, and in fact shooting them makes the boss stronger. There, deconstruction of video games complete, hire me Yaeger.

There's this surprisingly decent super scope game, Metal Combat:Falcon's revenge. It's the sequel to that robots super scope game everybody remembers more from the launch commerials.

As the game goes on, they gently caress with this expectation more and more often between playing it straight. Up to and including The final boss covering his primary weakpoint with a hostage. And growing if your charged shots hit his main body

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 20, 2017

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

This apparently is the gun you get from the Logitech promo dlc

The stats on the andromeda initiative hat is pretty nice

The UI is pretty loving frustrating, honestly. It wouldn't be so bad if I was using a controller.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Zzulu posted:

Yeah it'd be cool if people stop spoiling the ending but that's basically impossible now

Good luck with that poo poo, EA lifted all the streaming embargoes before the game went live, everything related to ME:A is going to be chock full of story bits to get views and that sweet advertising dollar.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Section Z posted:

There's this surprisingly decent super scope game, Metal Combat:Falcon's revenge. It's the sequel to that robots super scope game everybody remembers more from the launch commerials.

As the game goes on, they gently caress with this expectation more and more.

Yo, I remember that Superscope SNES game and that was the loving bomb rear end poo poo. It was sucha good loving game.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
i can only assume they wanted to lift the embargo in the name of 'well, it gets better past the first planet'

and maybe the middle of the game does get a bit better, who knows

but the ending is really, really bad and that's all people are going to care about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
You could, I don't know, make a "no spoilers" thread and be productive instead of doing nothing and whining anyway.