Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

How much damage % makes a 4k runway inoperable to China's superfighters? I feel like this might be important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

JcDent posted:

Always bet on sexy Gripens. Phantoms are fun too. How to Rafales stack up against our Grips? As a European, I'm a canards all day guy.

The Rafales are geared more towards standoff strike and air-to-air work and are better at it than our Gripens. They only got laser-guided bombs in 2007. Overall, their electronic warfare suite is better than the Gripens, so they'll fair better in hostile environments.

We probably won't be able to get surplus Rafales, though. We will be able to get older Swedish Air Force JAS 39Cs (that's how we got our initial birds).

Quinntan posted:

I don't think we need Flankers. Maybe three more Gripens? I'd rather us bulk up the number of Phantoms we have to be honest and sell off the Frogfoots, Sk60s and Hawk 209s. None of them have IFR and the Frogfoot has already shown that it is short-legged, requiring us to use this shithole airfield.

If there was funding left after the Gripens and Phantoms, I would advocate us acquiring the Ivanov's Fencers as SEAD aircraft.

The Frogfoots and Hawks are (relatively) useful light strikers. I think we should keep them around for the odd CAS jobs.

The SK 60s have proven to be pretty useless. I agree that we should ditch them.

I'm developing more mixed feelings about the Phantoms.

They have good features, to be sure. Their range is great, they can carry 2,000lb Paveways, they can carry eight air-to-air missiles, and they have the Mjolner anti-runway bombs. ButpPretty much everything else about them is uninspiring. They only carry two guided air-to-ground weapons, max. Our Gripens can carry up to four guided weapons.

For now, the Phantoms are our best option for the bomber role, but I think we should only buy 2-3 more. After that, the rest of our money should be going into strike fighters and support aircraft (SEAD, ECM, Tanker)

If we want SEAD birds, there are a bunch of Navy and Marine EA-6Bs floating around. If we can buy them (Jack?), then we'd get some great jamming and anti-radar missile-launching platforms. It can also be used for ELINT -- we can act as hired spies, sniffing out the radar and radio emissions of our enemies. And it can carry IED jammers to clear the route for friendly ground troops.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Apr 12, 2017

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Quinntan posted:

The Rafale would be an all round upgrade on the Gripen. Lower RCS, better radar, more Meteors, more fuel. And a price tag to match that.

Bacarruda posted:

The Rafales are geared more towards standoff strike and air-to-air work and are better at it than our Gripens. They only got laser-guided bombs in 2007. Overall, their electronic warfare suite is better than the Gripens, so they'll fair better in hostile environments.

We probably won't be able to get surplus Rafales, though. We will be able to get older Swedish Air Force JAS 39Cs (that's how we got our initial birds).

The Frogfoots and Hawks are (relatively) useful light strikers. I think we should keep them around for the odd CAS jobs.

The SK 60s have proven to be pretty useless. I agree that we should ditch them.

I'm developing more mixed feelings about the Phantoms.

They have good features, to be sure. Their range is great, they can carry 2,000lb Paveways, they can carry eight air-to-air missiles, and they have the Mjolner anti-runway bombs. ButpPretty much everything else about them is uninspiring. They only carry two guided air-to-ground weapons, max. Our Gripens can carry up to four guided weapons.

For now, the Phantoms are our best option for the bomber role, but I think we should only buy 2-3 more. After that, the rest of our money should be going into strike fighters and support aircraft (SEAD, ECM, Tanker)

If we want SEAD birds, there are a bunch of Navy and Marine EA-6Bs floating around. If we can buy them (Jack?), then we'd get some great jamming and anti-radar missile-launching platforms. It can also be used for ELINT -- we can act as hired spies, sniffing out the radar and radio emissions of our enemies. And it can carry IED jammers to clear the route for friendly ground troops.

Rafaels are nice, but there arnt that many on the world presently so they might cost us a pretty penny, but they would be a good addition. As I mentioned before, if we could somehow get our hands on some newer Mirage 2000's they could perform a similar mission profile and will have a lot of the latest toys on them.

More Phantoms or somehow getting Tornados would be good for our ground attack capabilities. Light attack planes like the Hawk arnt bad if we need to replace our 60's with somthing actually good.

Seconding the motion for Prowlers, having electronic warfare planes is s must in a modern war enviroment. In addition, they'll be packing a number of HARM missiles which rock at SEAD missions.

Apart from tankers and other supportcraft, I also continue my stance that we will want some maritime patrol craft on the form of S-3 Vikings and/or P-3s orcsome other larger plane. Not only would this give us a mini-AWAC over the ocean it coild give us better anti pirate capabilities or long ranges tools to be sky pirates.

We should also consider what kind of mid sized choppers we want to use since on land,they can move troops and at sea they'll be the main ASW tool for our ships. MH-60s would be a good choice, but there are some good Eurocoptor designs,too.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Is there any reason why they can't carry as many GBU-10s as they can mk82s other than that's the loadout they have in cmano? I've seen pictures of GBU-12s carried on racks on US Phantoms.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
How much would the Vikramaditya cost, hypothetically speaking?

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Your hopes and dreams.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Let's just break into the Boneyard and steal a Raven already

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Quinntan posted:

Is there any reason why they can't carry as many GBU-10s as they can mk82s other than that's the loadout they have in cmano? I've seen pictures of GBU-12s carried on racks on US Phantoms.

It's feasible. Maybe we can bribe Yooper and get him to give us multiple ejector racks on the Phantoms. Then we can really go to town.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Pay for that and fixing the Phantoms, and we're going to have a neat little package there.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008

Quinntan posted:

If you meant GBU-12s, not sure.

GBU-10s are twice as heavy as mk-82s.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Quinntan posted:

Your hopes and dreams.

Well technically the Russians payed 2.3 billion to build the ship, they gave it freely to the Indians, but charged around 1 billion to modernize it and the Indians bought snother billion worth of planes and other gear to use on it.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Psawhn posted:

Aww, man. Funnily enough, they should be able to handle the runway fine. As far as CMANO's concerned, they need the shortest runways out of all of our not-UAV planes. to simulate being able to land on random Swedish highways. I guess there just isn't enough parking space on the tippy top of that mountain there.

Luckily our Gripens do have the range to make it from Lakhimpur to Lhasa.

Ahh. Okay. I'll definitely keep that in mind for future missions. This mission is just so tight that I really want to default to full sperg microautism for the best chance of success. :goonsay:

You'll just be using pre-planned strike lists and WRA settings, right? Do you need me to rework anything for this mission to make it easier to plan?

Also: Can we make pilots fly through a few specific mountain passes and valleys? Even if they fly low to the ground, the radar can still spot them if they crest a peak rather than fly through the valley.

Plus, when's the next chance for our pilots to say "It's just like Beggar's Canyon back home"?

It's more lack of facilities at Yongphula. We just don't have space for all the bomb loaders, fuel bladders, hot dog stands, and food trucks. Normally yes, the Gripen's would be ideal for this, but it just isn't in the cards.

I'll do either pre-planned strikes or defined mission patrol areas. Selecting flight paths as you guys see fit is no problem, CTL-Drag is my friend. If you want twenty waypoints with wildly varying altitudes and EMCON's at each, I can do it.

I will do my best to add targets, or drop low priority ones, per your instructions as our ground intel improves. It's really easy to add/drop from a land strike, it's much harder to find and ctl-click like 50 airplanes and hope they can all manual release. Some are too close, others too far, maybe someone is too high. You guys get the idea.

Lemme clarify the terrain following : I'll absolutely do my best. And for this mission it's going to matter.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Well technically the Russians payed 2.3 billion to build the ship, they gave it freely to the Indians, but charged around 1 billion to modernize it and the Indians bought snother billion worth of planes and other gear to use on it.

There's also the consideration that she's already 30 years old before the rebuild. Then again, given that Vikrant lasted as long as she did...

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Yooper in this future are there any F-14's left for sale?

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
I doubt it, didn't they all get scrapped? At least, unless you're including the Iranian ones...

OH MY GOD THEY TURNED A SAM INTO AN AIR TO AIR MISSILE.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tythas posted:

Entire maintenance personnel will just quit in that case.

Also, all F-14s were converted to museum pieces of beer cans. Except for IRIAF ones, and those are old and worn out birds with 1970s era technology in them.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Bacarruda posted:

It's feasible. Maybe we can bribe Yooper and get him to give us multiple ejector racks on the Phantoms. Then we can really go to town.

Whats up with the adorable little bomblets on the end of the actual bombs?

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Saros posted:

Tail kit of the bomb. The Mk82's fins don't steer, so you have to add steering ones onto the back, otherwise it can't follow the laser dot should it be moving.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Saros posted:

That's the laser seeker. It picks up the laser reflection bouncing off the target when we're painting with the LANTIRN designation pod.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Er sorry I meant the bits at the front not the back.

[E] beaten like a Chinese runway.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Tythas posted:

If you can find a modern operator today then we can likely buy it. According to the DB the Iranians have them. Unfortunately it's like a snapshot of a 1970's F-14 with a different paint job.

A good example is our F-4E's are all Greek modifications, 2007 model. The Turks also have some modernized versions. I've got a plot-device ready in case we want to get into old/wacky stuff. But I'm not sure I want to go down that road.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
I've always thought that the laser seekers didn't look too well secured since they usually seem to be tilted at an angle, as if balanced precariously on the "neck". Though to be fair that's probably to allow the seeker head to gimbal.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Soup Inspector posted:

I've always thought that the laser seekers didn't look too well secured since they usually seem to be tilted at an angle, as if balanced precariously on the "neck". Though to be fair that's probably to allow the seeker head to gimbal.

That's exactly it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I want Mirage 2000s.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
To be honest I want to see us use more European platforms in general since they hardly ever get shown off. Though that isn't to say that I'm opposed to us getting more American hardware, either!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I want Mirage 2000s.

There will be Mirage 2000's for sale. Klaus and Pedersen are already trying to pawn some old Egyptian ones on us.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
We probably shouldn't sell anything, as an aside. The Saabs are hella cheap, so it's not even worth it; having another airframe of some sort sitting in the hanger is more valuable then the sub-million each.

Yooper posted:

I've got a plot-device ready in case we want to get into old/wacky stuff. But I'm not sure I want to go down that road.

WW2 Countdown's planes when? When can we buy an Akagi?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

WW2 Countdown's planes when? When can we buy an Akagi?

Um.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Yooper posted:

I've got a plot-device ready in case we want to get into old/wacky stuff. But I'm not sure I want to go down that road.
How long could you sustain two side-by-side versions of this LP for? You know, before the permanent brain damage kicks in.

I want to know more, but it's probably not a good idea.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

We probably shouldn't sell anything, as an aside. The Saabs are hella cheap, so it's not even worth it; having another airframe of some sort sitting in the hanger is more valuable then the sub-million each.

Except they aren't really cheap. They're a drag on our finances.

We get paid for performance. The Saabs have literally only landed one rocket hit in 12 total sorties. We spend tens of thousands of dollars in ammo, spares, and fuel -- and we made back a few thousand bucks.

They are literally costing us more money than they are worth.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Once we've seen whether we were successful and what our losses were, we can better determine what is needed, though I suppose more high quality fighters like rafales and SLAM EAGLES go without saying.

The events of Strike Commander probably aren't 'canon', are they?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Bacarruda posted:

Except they aren't really cheap. They're a drag on our finances.

We get paid for performance. The Saabs have literally only landed one rocket hit in 12 total sorties. We spend tens of thousands of dollars in ammo, spares, and fuel -- and we made back a few thousand bucks.

They are literally costing us more money than they are worth.

They cost nothing to leave parked. We don't exactly have a vast fleet and just having a means to put eyes somewhere a lot faster than a UAV can move could turn out to be pretty valuable.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

How long could you sustain two side-by-side versions of this LP for? You know, before the permanent brain damage kicks in.

I want to know more, but it's probably not a good idea.

Not long! Actually I have no idea. I'm sure I could, but I have a more interesting idea anyways. Reality is sometimes stranger than fiction.

RentACop posted:

Nope. Not at all. Other than the theme of being mercenaries with planes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

RentACop posted:

Once we've seen whether we were successful and what our losses were, we can better determine what is needed, though I suppose more high quality fighters like rafales and SLAM EAGLES go without saying.

I don't think we've been threatened with armed sanction by the IRS yet, so I doubt it.

Also, just found this LP and it's amazing.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Warlock did some calculations for us. Hopefully this'll help make everyone feel better.

He also noted that orientation is critical. As Psawhn mentioned. It's the difference between 80% effective and 8% effective.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
http://cmano-db.com/aircraft/1008/

This is the likely M2000 we'd get from the Egyptians and it's... not great. We're looking at a beam-rider for our BVR and no guided missiles apart from an anti-radar missile. There may be a niche for it in our air fleet if there's no other anti-radar missile slingers available, I dunno.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Quinntan posted:

http://cmano-db.com/aircraft/1008/

This is the likely M2000 we'd get from the Egyptians and it's... not great. We're looking at a beam-rider for our BVR and no guided missiles apart from an anti-radar missile. There may be a niche for it in our air fleet if there's no other anti-radar missile slingers available, I dunno.

It's not very modern, but it's versatile. Precision ground strike, SEAD, and AA.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

This is coming.

Prepare yourselves for lasers, railguns, and cockpit fires.

:allbuttons:

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

glynnenstein posted:

It's not very modern, but it's versatile. Precision ground strike, SEAD, and AA.

Yeah, but it doesn't strike me as all that good at any of them. Unless we were to ship them off to Dassault for upgrade to the 2000-5 spec, like the Qatari or UAE ones, I'd have to give them a pass.

Qatari Mirage: http://cmano-db.com/aircraft/1005/

UAE Mirage: http://cmano-db.com/aircraft/63/

Edit: if we are not too picky about it being a mirage 2000 then there is always this http://cmano-db.com/aircraft/2228/

Quinntan fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Yooper posted:

This is coming.

Prepare yourselves for lasers, railguns, and cockpit fires.

:allbuttons:
Can CMANO simulate a trench run? This is important