Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Powershift posted:

Around here, most school zones are also playground zones which are 30 from sunrise to an hour after sunset.

There's a school zone along a 100kph highway that has a sign a km before with all the times posted, and 2 lights and another sign that lists the times it's in effect because when it's not, people still get scared and slow down to 30kph in what is now a 100kph zone. When it is, people who get nailed doing 100(or more accurately, 110 which is what the highway flows at) get hit with doing 80 over the speed limit, which gets you a mandatory court appearance and all sorts of stuff.

I would far prefer they just made the whole area 50kph with a regular school zone sign so you don't have half of the people doing 30kph and the other half doing 100kph at noon every sunday. The way it is now makes people do dumb poo poo, and lets the local cop milk the gently caress out of people on school holidays. Really there's enough room to put a service road and enough paved roads circling the school that they could keep the highway 100, have the service road be the school zone road, and make sure buses never have to stop on the highway to wait to turn left across traffic but i guess kids aren't THAT worth keeping alive.
There's a 130km/h highway here that drops to 50km/h for a zebra crossing to connect an airport with a village of like 10 houses on the other side. They could've put up a little pedestrian bridge to ensure complete safety but nope, not worth it. Let's just progressively add flashing yellows and traffic lights, and then finally speed cameras instead. Ka-ching!

At least it's a great opportunity to do a WOT 0-130km/h run mostly legally every time you're the first at the light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wolrah posted:

Yup, that's why I bring it up, I drive past this crap on a daily basis.

This is the correct answer. I don't believe school zones should be allowed on roads with a natural speed greater than 45 MPH. Either separate the school from the fast road properly or modify the road so its natural speed is more appropriate. Don't have huge drops in speed with potentially ambiguous enforcement on anything worth calling a highway.

Unfortunately doing things right costs money, where arbitrarily dropping limits and sticking a cop there can easily pay for itself.

https://www.google.com/maps/@61.1336168,-149.8332382,612m/data=!3m1!1e3

Lake Otis is a 45 mph road and was when the elementary school was built. There's a tunnel to cross the road but it adds a quarter mile of walking to any kids trying to cross the road, so of course you have young kids trying to dash across a street with no stop lights and no crosswalk. The nearby middle school has a 20 mph zone, but not the elementary school.

It's been like this since the 80's. :iiam:

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Lots of school zones in NSW come with the full flashing lights and times treatment on the signs. Not all signs get the lights though which is how I found out the hard way that you could get your licence suspended for speeding on a provisional licence. There weren't any students in the school because it was a staff development day. Still counted as a school day though regardless

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://gfycat.com/InsistentSecondhandFlyingsquirrel

These are the tires you share your office with.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I guess you could say he was feeling a little......

exhausted

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

iospace posted:

I'm going to guess that didn't feel very good.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

iospace posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE1dFHmFCRk

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Powershift posted:

exhausted

Rim shot

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Wheely?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Powershift posted:

exhausted

well at least he wasn't two tired.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Sunny clear day, driving 35mph. Lady at the stop sign decided that the "stop" part was optional and accelerated into the road in front of me. No time to stop. This is the second time I've been in a red vehicle in the spring and gotten hit by a woman in a Ford SUV who ignored a stop sign... light abrasions to my legs from the lower airbag, and a bunch of soreness everywhere else but I'm generally ok. Now to deal with the insurance cluster gently caress.

I was driving forward in this view and she was where the grey Fusion is

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Clear day? Perfect visibility? Big red car? Still pulled out?

poo poo like that makes me want to give up riding motorcycles immediately.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Try driving a color not invisible to colorblind people.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In the unlikely case that someone is literally incapable of seeing a car of a particular hue, they shouldn't be driving.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Dave Inc. posted:

The last time it happened I was on a bike...that resulted in a shattered pelvis and broken ribs, broken nose etc.

As far as colorblindness, it was a woman so it's unlikely to the point of being improbable.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Dave Inc. posted:

Yeah, my bike is bright red, and still assume I am invisible. Even bright red is no match for drawing attention compared to that oh so important text that has to be sent Right Now!

edit: There is one group of motorists that notice me. Traffic cops.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So yea... I found this short clip on YT that's worth the 40'ish seconds...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5VG0kAAqx0

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Flint Ironstag posted:

Yeah, my bike is bright red, and still assume I am invisible. Even bright red is no match for drawing attention compared to that oh so important text that has to be sent Right Now!

edit: There is one group of motorists that notice me. Traffic cops.

Pcos bill parachute spotted

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

iospace posted:

Ouch. And I actually lolled.

I do agree with him just enough to be flattered. But I do disagree with him just enough to be offended.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I was driving forward in this view and she was where the grey Fusion is

Gotta wonder if you disappeared momentarily into the blind spot behind her A pillar. Not that it excuses her failing to double-check, or not waiting a goddamn moment at the stop sign.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dxFojRg5SM

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Repo Man posted:

I like the flashing yellow lights in the school zone that let you know unambiguously that it is an active school zone, and you need to obey the lower limit. Arizona also has those (and some other states) but California does not. KRON's Stanley Roberts recently had a People Behaving Badly segment that involved a school zone, and I commented about how I thought California should adopt those lights in schools zones since I thought they were helpful in Arizona, and some guy was arguing with me that they aren't needed. Well screw that guy, I like them and still think California ought to have them.

Crotch Fruit posted:

So are California school zones just reduced speed 24/7 or what? Everywhere I have been the signs have specific and kinda random hours depending on what time the school starts, sometimes the list of poo poo is long with different hours on different days of the week or an exclusion for summer, it's a lot easier to just look for lights instead of trying to decipher the wall of text at 40mph. And well, Cali seems like a nanny state in every other way.

I don't know what your guys are talking about. California has flashing lights in school zones. Also school zone speeds are reduced "when children are present". If you see kids walking around, then you slow down. Pretty easy stuff.

Also lol @ your "nanny state" comment. :jerkbag:

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan
What's the deal with road ragers?

I had a guy run a red light to make a right turn as I was making a left turn on a green arrow earlier, so I gave him a "gently caress you" honk as I was going around him. He came back and flipped me off as he was passing me...because I had honked at him for running a red light?

Anyway, I gave him the bird in return, and was like "you ran a red light" and he was like "say that to my face" and I'm like "I'm saying it to your face right now, rear end in a top hat". This went back and forth for a while, with him wanting me to pull over and fight him, and me wanting him to go gently caress himself and realize that he ran a red light and almost caused an accident, and was totally in the wrong.

Why is this even a thing? If I hadn't just dropped off my CZ at home, I would have stopped just long enough for him to get out of his lovely Ford Escape and then hastily get back in and drive off.

But seriously, why do some people get so loving unhinged on the roads?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
This poo poo happens too often:
http://abc7.com/news/video-semitruck-drags-car-for-miles-along-cajon-pass/1896074/

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

FCKGW posted:

I don't know what your guys are talking about. California has flashing lights in school zones. Also school zone speeds are reduced "when children are present". If you see kids walking around, then you slow down. Pretty easy stuff.

Also lol @ your "nanny state" comment. :jerkbag:

Not in any school zone in California that I've ever seen. And since you can be ticketed for not going the lower limit if it is during one of the times (CVC 22352 "When approaching or passing a school building or the grounds thereof, contiguous to a highway and posted with a standard “SCHOOL” warning sign, while children are going to or leaving the school either during school hours or during the noon recess period.") even if you cannot see any children, and otherwise have no clue, I wish they did have such warning lights.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I've seen plenty with lights. In any event the California law is actually far more specific because it establishes that the limits apply only during school hours and when children are entering/leaving (or when the school doesn't have a fence, which is rare). It is fairly simple to comply with and fairly simple to fight compared to other states. I'd rather have the lights, admittedly, but not the hill I'm going to die on.

Regarding the other guy:
Complaining about CA nanny state laws when it comes to speeding is hilarious because California has among the most driver friendly speed laws in the US. Speed trap bans which include an honest to god 85% speed survey before you can use radar/laser. No unmarked cars for CHP. A loving dispute by mail system that if you lose you get to start the gently caress over in regular court. Well defined rules regarding traffic court that can be bend to help the driver. Fairly strict rules about when your insurance rates can be raised or cancelled for a ticket. poo poo, the law even tries to limit when they can tow your car, even when you don't have a DL.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

This poo poo happens with fatal results all the time on I-81 in VA, and is exactly why I did not take a particular "promotion" from one of my old employers. I'll be god damned before I'm responding to those accidents.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I mean would you at least here those tires screaming? I have zero truck experience so I legitimately dont know. Also that car was definitely visible in the rear view mirror. Does V8 Interceptor still post in AI?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

BLARGHLE posted:

I had a guy run a red light to make a right turn as I was making a left turn on a green arrow earlier, so I gave him a "gently caress you" honk as I was going around him. He came back and flipped me off as he was passing me...because I had honked at him for running a red light?

Anyway, I gave him the bird in return, and was like "you ran a red light" and he was like "say that to my face" and I'm like "I'm saying it to your face right now, rear end in a top hat". This went back and forth for a while, with him wanting me to pull over and fight him, and me wanting him to go gently caress himself and realize that he ran a red light and almost caused an accident, and was totally in the wrong.

Why is this even a thing? If I hadn't just dropped off my CZ at home, I would have stopped just long enough for him to get out of his lovely Ford Escape and then hastily get back in and drive off.

You tell us.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

if flipping the bird is defined as road rage, I'm John McEnroe

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BLARGHLE posted:

This post is a great way to get a menacing or brandishing charge. Seriously you think it's ok to escalate a verbal disagreement to the stage where you pull out a loving gun?

I say this as someone with a CZ and a carry permit: Jesus gently caress you're stupid as poo poo if you aren't trying to defuse and get away from the situation.

Pull out a loving gun, gently caress off.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

BLARGHLE posted:

:ironicat:

Because some people don't want to take responsibility for their actions and others want to take law enforcement into their own hands and think its cool to escalate situations.

I had an idiot moment of my own the other day. I was driving home and failed to see a pedestrian who was about to cross the road as I was approaching a stop sign. She did the whole "what the hell" thing and I felt like a huge rear end in a top hat for the rest of the day since I try to be really good about that kind of thing.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

I don't think he meant to say he was going to draw on the guy if he stopped and got out, but instead just bait him into getting out of his car and then drive off while he's standing there. That being said, escalating a situation because you're carrying is goddamned retarded.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

IronDoge posted:

That being said, escalating a situation because you're carrying is goddamned retarded.

ftfy

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

IronDoge posted:

I don't think he meant to say he was going to draw on the guy if he stopped and got out, but instead just bait him into getting out of his car and then drive off while he's standing there. That being said, escalating a situation because you're carrying is goddamned retarded.

Then why mention the gun at all?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

um excuse me posted:

I mean would you at least here those tires screaming? I have zero truck experience so I legitimately dont know. Also that car was definitely visible in the rear view mirror. Does V8 Interceptor still post in AI?

There was some British truck driver that got a car hung up on his front bumper, drove some distance completely unaware. It went to court too and they found him innocent. I know British law is not US law, but the point is that apparently it is possible to be completely ignorant you're dragging a car around in a semi truck. :iiam:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

um excuse me posted:

I can say from personal experience, no you might not even have a clue as far as noise or feel.

My family used to have one of the bus-style RVs, 38 feet long on a Freightliner chassis with a Caterpillar engine in the back. Medium duty truck parts, basically, not even semi grade equipment.
Behind that we towed a Jeep Liberty to get around with at the destination.

One trip the Jeep's steering rack somehow lost its ability to return to center as we were getting back on the highway after a driver change. The front wheels of this thing were pointed at full lock to the left and we didn't have a clue up in the front of the RV until someone driving by flagged us down. When we turned on the rear camera's audio you could hear the tires screaming away, but without that we couldn't hear it or feel it.

I can not believe that driver couldn't see it though. That car was sticking far enough off the side that it had to be visible in his mirrors. His reaction, and still being in the cab when the camera guy got there makes me think he still hadn't really realized what had occurred.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

BLARGHLE posted:

The real irony in road rage is that up until the rage started, they were in some extreme hurry to get somewhere, so rushed that they couldn't be bothered to obey traffic laws. Just like this one I posted in the thread a while back:

LloydDobler posted:

It just reminds me of the time I was following two guys through my very own neighborhood, which has a residential 25mph speed limit. So the first guy was doing 25 and the second guy was riding his rear end REAL HARD because he desperately wanted to speed through this neighborhood where children play and people live. So as the lead guy turns at his street, he flips the second guy off. Now suddenly 2nd guy slams on his brakes, throws it in reverse, and almost backs into me because for some reason HE'S NO LONGER IN A HURRY, NOW HE HAS TIME TO FIGHT AN OLD GUY. I basically blocked him and really enjoyed laying on my horn. He looked so confused, because now he was the guy who was holding up traffic which just 5 seconds prior was really pissing him off for some stupid reason. He got out, tried to yell at the old guy, and then got back in his truck and took off at way too high a speed.

People are fundamentally broken inside.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 21, 2017

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

iospace posted:

My bike is purple and I stop at people's windows to tell them to put the loving phone down routinely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Most of the time when a motorist almost runs me over and I even say something as mild as "Watch out!" I'm rewarded with a string of screamed obscenities. One guy made an illegal turn and stopped just short of knocking me down while I was in a marked crosswalk at a stop sign. I said "You're going to kill someone!" and that was enough for him to get out of his truck with traffic stacking up behind him and try to start a fight with me.

I was crossing at a major intersection and when the light turned green a guy in an SUV made an "emergency" left, tearing through the intersection and cutting off the oncoming traffic. I was crossing in a marked crosswalk with the light and he had to screech to a halt to avoid crushing me, blocking crosstraffic. I threw my hands up in the air and shouted "WHAT THE gently caress" and he proceeded to follow me for almost a mile screaming obscenities at me.

After five years of commuting to work on foot I feel that most people are aggressive assholes without a shred of decency. No one ever responds with surprise, or dismay that they almost hit and possibly killed me due to their ignorance/impatience/aggression. It's always anger. Always.