Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TotalLossBrain posted:

You get into more traffic "situations" than most people do in a lifetime, jfc.

If "situation" means "Nothing really happened but there was a funny idiot who did a dumb thing or someone stupid happened to be around and did something dumb" I guess. I'm on the road every single rush hour in Pittsburgh, it gives me lots of opportunities to see idiots.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/04/26/pittsburgh-drivers-worst/

quote:

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – Pittsburgh is used to making “best of” lists, but this is one list Pittsburghers probably don’t want on top of.

The Steel City has been ranked the number one worst city when it comes to our drivers, tied for the top spot with New York City. It’s the conclusion of a survey by EverQuote Inc., an online insurance company. They say our drivers are every bit as bad as drivers in the Big Apple.

“I’ve been to New York and I’ve seen people flying around. I’ve seen someone get hit down there before,” said one driver.

EverQuote studied 11-months of driving habits through the beginning of March for 150,000 drivers who use their EverRide app.

The rankings were based on five driving activities: speeding, cellphone use, excess acceleration, hard braking and hard turning.

The study reportedly found that Pittsburgh drivers go too fast and use their cell phones while driving too much.

“There’s a lot of texting and driving, Snapchat and driving,” said one person.

“I’ve seen people swerving off the road using their cell phone. That’s no good for people,” said another driver.

EverQuote says Pennsylvania drivers didn’t rank well either, the state came in at 48, ahead of only Connecticut and Rhode Island. The survey found that Pennsylvanians were speeding 47 percent of the time, and using their cellphones 37 percent of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
To be fair, I live in a smaller suburban area (~150k people) so it's really not too bad around here. I also don't drive very much. My commute happens via bicycle (on a bike path along a river, highly recommended low stress commute!)
So I guess I'd be at the very low end of the "situation" occurrence spectrum :D

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Think I said this on slack but this is me in 20 years but with lovely 90s Japanese coups.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PCOS Bill posted:

I don't even know where he came from. Turned in from a side street? Going fast as gently caress flying up behind me?

Now you know how everyone else feels when you go double the posted limit on your motorcycle.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Don't even start.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
I know many handicapped people were dealt a bad hand in life. But why is every car with a handicapped plate driven poorly 10 miles below the limit?

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Because most handicap plates belong to elderly people

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

So what the gently caress happened to all those cars?!?!?!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I imagine they got impounded and auctioned off for pennies on the dollar

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Cash for Clunkers! :getin:

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

What is a reasonable amount of car money to keep secret from friends and family? Asking for a friend

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I live in this area and for the past year or so I have noted three 2002s I drive by almost every day on my commute: red, silver, and green. And I saw a black one in a parking lot yesterday and one pumping gas the day before. I think it's safe to say they are on the market. Maybe it's just a coincidence but I have felt like I've seen an unusually high number of 2002s on the road lately.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Holy gently caress people are loving pyschopaths.

So I got to watch someone intentionally cause an accident and wreck their own truck today.

I was driving down a 4 lane road, heavy traffic, in the left lane. There's two cars ahead of me, a bro-truck and a new-ish Nissan. Still had temp tags on it. The Nissan had it's flashers on and was driving very slow. So, I pull in to the right lane and passed her. She had just pulled out her phone. Dickhead in the truck pulls into the median, floors it past her, get in front of her, and slams on his brakes coming to a full stop. She stops, but the car behind her slams into her at like 40mph, and pushes her into the back of his truck. All this is in front of a school too mind you, which the third car had just pulled out of.

So I'm assuming the microdick haver in the truck had some great point in his head he was gonna make, but what the gently caress? Why do people let themselves get so worked up over traffic poo poo? Now at least two people have their day, and probably a good amount of time after ruined. I mean, yeah, the girl in the Nissan should have pulled off the road if she had an issue with her car or whatever, but goddamn is that taking poo poo too far.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I hope you have a statement to the cops, cause king microdick needs to have their license taken away

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 4, 2017

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Yeah, at least stop and give your name and phone number to the victims - assuming you don't have time to hang around and wait for the police to arrive.

Had two raging assholes on my drive home from work today. First one was in a Forester and got pissed when I passed him on the right (while he was doing 5 under the limit) through a gap long enough for a semi to change lanes. Got on my rear end, pulled his phone out and started recording while following my every move until I started recording him back, then he backed off and exited the interstate.

Then when almost home I changed lanes into another fairly long gap in stop and go traffic while approaching a red light to make the right turn off of the highway onto my street in front of some old guy talking on his cell phone. Guy behind me went into full-on rage mode, dropped his phone and started screaming into his windshield and eventually hung his head out the window to yell. When I continued to ignore him he pulled onto the shoulder next to me with his window down, then after realizing I wasn't going to acknowledge him he proceeded to fly up the shoulder to the intersection (maybe 8 car lengths?) before cutting someone off to get back into the right lane on the other side of the intersection.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 5, 2017

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005
"intentionally cause an accident" - oxymoron. They intentionally caused a collision. Because they are insane.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Repo Man posted:

"intentionally cause an accident" - oxymoron. They intentionally caused a collision. Because they are insane.

"collected"

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

It's weird how you people run into all these raging assholes just when you change lanes I wonder why that never happens to me. I'm sure no info has been left out at all!

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
1. People generally don't post things in which they had liability to the crash on the internet.

2. There are a lot of eyes from this thread on the road, so less likely events to happen to any one individual will more likely be witnessed by someone who posts in here.

3. What were you trying to even prove with that snarky comment?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

So you're basically claiming that this thread is pointless and wrong and then attacking me for low content posting in it. We all hate ourselves so much.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I forgot to signal yesterday when I changed lanes once. Does that count?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I forgot to signal yesterday when I changed lanes once. Does that count?

For the guillotine? Absolutely.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Shared the road with this garbage this morning:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I come to a T intersection, three way stop sign. I'm continuing straight, and Mr. Oblivious is turning left to get where I'm going. I come to a stop, and this person is still coming to the stop sign. I continue on. You know, getting there first, I've got the right of way. I'm going straight vs them making a left gives me right of way. Which I guess only counts if the other person isn't on their phone not paying attention and if they also don't just coast straight through the intersection. I sped up and pulled right into what little shoulder there was to avoid having Oblivious hit my rear quarter panel. I laid on the horn and this guy looks up from his phone panicked.

Fucker should've been paying attention, and should've come to a stop. But I guess I should also not just assume everyone will obey traffic laws.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FancyMike posted:

Shared the road with this garbage this morning:

Charlie's Produce is indeed pretty terrible.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Sudden glance read that at Charlie's Proguce

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Pryor on Fire posted:

It's weird how you people run into all these raging assholes just when you change lanes I wonder why that never happens to me. I'm sure no info has been left out at all!

Next post you make in this thread should probably have some content in it.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
Some people in my neighborhood really need to learn how stop signs work.

The other day I come up to a 4 way stop. I stop first, then the guy going the opposite direction from me stops second, and the guy to the right who wants to turn left onto my road stops third.
As I move my foot from my brake to the gas pedal and start moving through the intersection the guy going in the opposite direction, number 2, waves to the guy to my right, number 3, to go ahead.
Luckily, the guy to the right was either paying attention or does understand how stop signs work and didn't go.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Murphys Law posted:

Some people in my neighborhood really need to learn how stop signs work.

The other day I come up to a 4 way stop. I stop first, then the guy going the opposite direction from me stops second, and the guy to the right who wants to turn left onto my road stops third.
As I move my foot from my brake to the gas pedal and start moving through the intersection the guy going in the opposite direction, number 2, waves to the guy to my right, number 3, to go ahead.
Luckily, the guy to the right was either paying attention or does understand how stop signs work and didn't go.

Yeah, never did quite understand that. I roll up to a stop sign, guy to my right on the other street was clearly stopped first and should have the right away. Then you get into a standoff with the inching forward thing.

Fortunately it mostly solved itself. Anytime you see a minivan at a four way stop, look out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sitting there completely still and staring at the fool who has right of way but is waving people through for some idiot reason is pretty funny.

You gotta commit to it though because if you ease on the brakes and roll a tiny bit, it all falls apart.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I came to a stop sign crossing a two lane one-way street with no stop sign for them. There was a car coming down in the right lane, the lane closer to me, who decided to be "nice" and stopped at the intersection and tried to wave me through. I shook my head at them and waited for them to go, and as they started rolling a car came flying down the left lane past them. If I HAD been dumb enough to go when they waved at me, I likely would have been t-boned, and been rightfully at fault.

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005
The disturbing development with how people treat four way stop signs that I've noticed is that some people treat the fact that you choose to come to a complete stop as a concession of right of way. At least a couple of times this has resulted in my having to stab the brakes just as I started forward because the guy to my right just rolled through rather than stopping as I was expecting him to just as I was starting across.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Repo Man posted:

The disturbing development with how people treat four way stop signs that I've noticed is that some people treat the fact that you choose to come to a complete stop as a concession of right of way. At least a couple of times this has resulted in my having to stab the brakes just as I started forward because the guy to my right just rolled through rather than stopping as I was expecting him to just as I was starting across.

You also run the risk of getting rear ended because people assume you're going to roll through and are intending to do the same thing. I'm pretty resolute about coming to a complete stop and without fail I will end up with someone's license plate filling my back window.

Though it is kind of funny to keep an eye on the evolution of their awareness as the front end dips lower and lower to the ground as they realize they aren't going to stop in time and start to bury the brake.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

PCOS Bill posted:

I came to a stop sign crossing a two lane one-way street with no stop sign for them. There was a car coming down in the right lane, the lane closer to me, who decided to be "nice" and stopped at the intersection and tried to wave me through. I shook my head at them and waited for them to go, and as they started rolling a car came flying down the left lane past them. If I HAD been dumb enough to go when they waved at me, I likely would have been t-boned, and been rightfully at fault.

I've taken to crossing my arms or picking up my hands palm forward when people try waving me through an intersection.

I don't trust the judgment of a numbnuts who wave people on.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
I got rear-ended by a kid on his bike at a stop sign once. He and his friend were riding up behind me. He apparently decided to take his shirt off just as I was coming to a stop.
As I started rolling again I feel a thump and hear the kid fall over. And then his friend started laughing his rear end off.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

um excuse me posted:

1. People generally don't post things in which they understand and accept that they had liability to the crash on the internet.
FTFY

There are a lot of people who have posted videos proving they were at fault while believing that they showed another party to be at fault. Either through not understanding the law or in some cases just being so convinced of their own narrative that they don't even realize the video contradicts it.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I turn left here (all unprotected lefts) against almost non-stop oncoming traffic, of which about 5% goes straight. About half of the oncoming cars won't use their signal, so I can either make assumptions and play the T-bone lottery or sit halfway into the intersection until I see I'm clear. It's a short light and people stack up behind me and get pissed, but what else can I do?

I need to make some "We buy ur home! $$$"-type corrugated plastic signs to plant at the intersections around here saying "Turning at the light? Use your turn signal!"

NoWake fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 5, 2017

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

NoWake posted:

I turn left here (all unprotected lefts) against almost non-stop oncoming traffic, of which about 5% goes straight. About half of the oncoming cars won't use their signal, so I can either make assumptions and play the T-bone lottery or sit halfway into the intersection until I see I'm clear. It's a short light and people stack up behind me and get pissed, but what else can I do?

I need to make some "We buy ur home! $$$"-type corrugated plastic signs to plant at the intersections around here saying "Turning at the light? Use your turn signal!"

Recognized the street names and I had to check. That's about 20 minutes away from my house.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The t-bone lottery was one of those things I yelled about the most teaching my kids how to drive. Never trust a turn signal...especially if the gas station you are pulling out of has a Burger King entrance twenty feet from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I hate when people wave at me to go at an intersection. I will go when it is my turn. It's your turn, loving go you old bag.