Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Olothreutes posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/476530/Children_of_a_Dead_Earth/

This game should fit the "groggy space combat simulator" rather well. Think Kerbal Space Program with nukes.

I bought it fully expecting not to use it as much more than "Jane's Space Fleet Command" because I looked at the ship customisation screens and understood nothing. Now I spend all day thinking about how to defeat 1 gigawatt lasers, across 1000 km of inky blackness, at closure rates of 5-10 km/s. I never cared about material science before. But what if you could use material science... to vicariously experience getting realistically gibbed in space?? Suddenly: the rate at which a 1.5 cm thick zirconium copper whipple shield heats under a 30cm 1GW violet laser spot as it closes on that emitter is Compelling; the rate at which a ship full of micro-nuke depleted uranium explosively formed penetrator coilgun slugs can be spun by a nitrogen nuclear thermal rocket is Very Interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

sebmojo posted:

I bought it fully expecting not to use it as much more than "Jane's Space Fleet Command" because I looked at the ship customisation screens and understood nothing. Now I spend all day thinking about how to defeat 1 gigawatt lasers, across 1000 km of inky blackness, at closure rates of 5-10 km/s. I never cared about material science before. But what if you could use material science... to vicariously experience getting realistically gibbed in space?? Suddenly: the rate at which a 1.5 cm thick zirconium copper whipple shield heats under a 30cm 1GW violet laser spot as it closes on that emitter is Compelling; the rate at which a ship full of micro-nuke depleted uranium explosively formed penetrator coilgun slugs can be spun by a nitrogen nuclear thermal rocket is Very Interesting.

Just give me the goon LP link already.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

JcDent posted:

Not empty quoting.

Kerbals with guns please.

:catdrugs: :catdrugs:

Voting Closed.

Tallying up this wacky voting method.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

JcDent posted:

I would have made one if I could get smooth video recording with it but sadly my laptop is too crappy.

Aurora though :getin:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I've never read as much on variable election methods as I have had to today.

We used Instant Runoff Voting, and not some really oddball system like fight to the death, or the Two Party system. I followed this link here, at Electorama.

The initial tally is :

No clear majority so I drop Admiralty Law with only two votes.

Which puts us into a two tiered tie with Sovereign Citizen in the low position.

Well gently caress. Another tie. So this time I dig into the election rules and follow this guideline.

code:
LOGIC: If the tied candidates combined have fewer votes than the next highest candidate, the entire tied set can be eliminated at once.
Which leads us to this.

I'll try to run the mission earlier than the weekend. But first, rules of engagement coming up next!

This one will, after my exercise in Democracy, have two choices :

Blood and Money : If we see any witnesses they die.

OR

Red Handed : If we think we'll be caught, then don't fire.

Back to you Hired Goons!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Define witness

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Blood and Money :unsmigghh:

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 16, 2017

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

From Beer's post it seems mk 1 eyeball doesn't count as a witness to wax or liquidate. I'm actually ok with that. Anything that probably has Nvg or IR goggles is probably military anyway.

Oh god, I just had a thought. Yooper might shoot a Tesla warship if it's nearby. I mean sure Elon wouldn't want us sinking what he thinks is a fully-laden lithium freighter, but on the other... Raptors, man

So in summary my vote is against warcrimes and we should leave the cruise liners alone, probably warships too (unless the witness is a forward scout of the PLAN fleet because come ON we got a beef with them)

simplefish fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 16, 2017

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Like, we're sending out 4 birds in waifu paint. If we see any boat/ship, and they see us flying over the ocean, are they a witness?

Or is a witness someone who sees us in the same vicinity as the target?

Or is a witness someone who explicitly sees us fire bombs?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Red-Handed

Best not to risk murdering half the witnesses and then not having the ammo to murder the other half.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Blood and Money

:yarr:

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Blood and Money paint it as the freestate murdering people

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

There is different detection levels. On one hand we have "it's a plane!" all the way to "It's an F-16 from the Alaska National Guard piloted by Dave."

In a perfect world you guys get a shot off and anyone in sight just sees a plane, or nothing at all. Worst case you've got someone with actual detection gear.

But how will you know if they did see you or not? It's not like a 30m fishing boat is going to wave or anything.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

I like Blood and Money, but I want to do as much of our disinfo as we can.

Loel posted:

we leave a message from a new account on reddit, saying to remember to buy oil shares. "We've lost a lot of the lithium guys, but this is a great plane to get some money back. just watch!"

get one of the crew to record us firing at the ship while they are evacuating? Streaming to youtube, video feed cuts as rockets impact, etc.

Maybe have the captain identify the attacks as 'those loving free staters'. You know, go all in.

We can have some Bin Laden style twitter accounts too. At x hours before the attack, report Kfirs in the air, then a different account reports them an hour west an hour later.
http://mashable.com/2011/05/01/live-tweet-bin-laden-raid/#t4CiWvZ8EqqU

File some internal reports that we fired on some bogeys in that area but failed to connect.

our KFirs blow up all the oil tankers they can find

After the event is on the news, give a few million to the reddit kickstarter from a swiss account

hire a bot swarm to attack them on twitter, saying how evil they were.

Have Count do a public ceremony condemning the action, and granting piles of money to the families of the lost. "wars should be like this, and we must rise about it in our struggle for a free society."

dont tell the count it was us.

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009
Red-Handed

Waifu camo is more than enough warcrime for one night.

Olothreutes posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/476530/Children_of_a_Dead_Earth/

This game should fit the "groggy space combat simulator" rather well. Think Kerbal Space Program with nukes.

I need this in my life.

PenguinSalsa fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 16, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Red handed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I say we go all in and do Blood and Money.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Red Handed

Its easier to spin when its at least somewhat surgical strike. "That lithium freighter? It was a front for the Dos Santos's polar bear hunting operation and we are such nice mercenaries that we put stop to it free of charge" :v:

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Red-handed. We're better than having to resort to something so sloppy as murdering anyone who happens to look at the wrong thing.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Red Handed

Quinntan fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 16, 2017

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I knew it was going to boil down to this

edit: Lets make the people who voted for this mission sit on their crown of thorns. blood and money

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I think blood and money more fully embraces the spirit of the plan and, frankly, I think the crown of thorns is an interesting challenge to sit comfortably upon.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
If we're doing this, we're going all in blood and money.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Even leaving aside the morals of it, because holy gently caress, we don't have enough bombs and missiles to sanitize the sea and air ready to fire in this plan. Red Handed.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Blood and Money

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Davin Valkri posted:

Even leaving aside the morals of it, because holy gently caress, we don't have enough bombs and missiles to sanitize the sea and air ready to fire in this plan. Red Handed.

I can get behind that logic. Red Handed it is.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Red Handed

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I didn't get shot down by a lucky round from a Chinese AA gun just to become a real war criminal! Red Handed

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

If we had more deployed planes I'd go for Blood and Money but as we only have 4 planes deployed I'll have to go for Red Handed

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Red handed

The lack of firepower means we could be in the embarrassing position of trying and failing to sink a witness.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Red Handed. we do not have the firepower for a full purge

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I vote for Red Handed for several reasons:

1. We have two flights of Kfir fighters. The backup is available in case the first team is unable to perform the operation undetected in spite of having hundreds of nautical miles worth of spare fuel.

2. We're using guided air-dropped munitions, which means as part of our ROE after confirmation of the target we can back off the target and hit it with a standoff strike from up to 35 nautical miles away.

3. There's already an expectation that the ship is going to blow up due to the ruse of pirates taking it over, so a witness that's close to the target isn't really an issue.

4. We don't have a lot of munitions to spare. And by a "a lot" I mean "nothing outside of four Python 5s".

5. It's night, so visual detection isn't going to be as much of a problem. If we want to be really paranoid we can make sure that nothing is less than 3.12 nm away from the trajectory for infrared detection of the bomb.

I have no idea how radars work but my understanding is that most ships and civilian aircraft do not have actual radars capable of detecting something like an incoming bomb. At that point our concern is military craft, which we should be able to avoid. And if we're being followed by iMercs / Tesla F-22s / China then we probably don't want to shoot them down anyway because that's an easy way to get ourselves annihilated.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Red Handed - worst case this puts us where we would have been by not taking the mission.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

rchandra posted:

Red Handed - worst case this puts us where we would have been by not taking the mission.

:same:

Red-Handed

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Is the plan locked in? Because as is, CY has zero CAP assets.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Blood and Money

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Red Handed

We can always just claim a familiarization flight with our new birds.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

BLOOD AND MONEY

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Yooper with CoW coming out in two days will you use it for the mission after this or when we leave the theater?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Dreamsicle posted:

Yooper with CoW coming out in two days will you use it for the mission after this or when we leave the theater?

It'll probably be our last mission before CoW. After that we'll use the new damage modelling mechanics.

:getin: