Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I did engineer the other day, and things seem to have changed quite a bit. I used to be able to really get things cooking in the big donut engine, with a little modification it could produce more power than the experimental engine.

Is the deal now that you have a small engine, a tiny bit of fuel, and little ovens to keep things going?

Any tips on how the pressure/mixture should be set in the conducting gasses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Nakar posted:

Everything in SS13 is effectively arm-based, so unless you're a machine the greatest advantage goes to that which has the most arms. Checkmate for spiders.

I cry as a borg whenever I encounter a situation that required me to be able to pick something up or grab somebody. Imagine being a borg surrounded by corpses and being unable to clone them because you can't stuff them into the cloner.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I cry as a borg whenever I encounter a situation that required me to be able to pick something up or grab somebody. Imagine being a borg surrounded by corpses and being unable to clone them because you can't stuff them into the cloner.

Theres strange reagent for that. If you know how to get it, you might need help though.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

One of these days I would really love to best macho man randy savage in the ring of honor. Would a superfart stun him long enough for a 3 count?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

FAT BATMAN posted:

One of these days I would really love to best macho man randy savage in the ring of honor. Would a superfart stun him long enough for a 3 count?

I don't if macho man can even be stunned. Last I heard Macho man has ALOT of healing/anti-stun chemicals in him at all times, and has a full-heal/stun-remove ability. if anything you could fire a mindslave implant him, sleepy pen him, or use a traitor geneticist injector to put blindness and other genes into him and hope those stun him long enough for you to strangle him because you don't need to see to use wrestle abilities.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Matcho maen can't be stunned, but you CAN blow their limbs off. A one legged wrestler isn't very dangerous.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

Matcho maen can't be stunned, but you CAN blow their limbs off. A one legged wrestler isn't very dangerous.

Macho Man punched my heart out of my chest while having only one leg and no arms. I think they're always dangerous.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Malpais Legate posted:

Macho Man punched my heart out of my chest while having only one leg and no arms. I think they're always dangerous.

Well, yeah, but if he can't catch you he can't do that.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Has there been any progress on the solarium in the past year or so?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Sol is pretty much dead both exploration and coding-wise. Most of the sol supernerds buggered off, the whole sol meta is too obtuse for most of the playerbase to bother, and apparently the last time anything sol-related was coded was last year.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
We griefed the Sol nerds into oblivions.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cogs was the main Solarium admin (or at least one of them) and he's not been around as much the last year or so

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Didn't Cogs have some kind of medical trouble? I hope he's okay :(

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I know he was struggling for a place to live and/or having job issues, he did a gofundme - I think things are much better now but I guess 2D spacemen are not quite his main concern in life again just yet

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

SugarAddict posted:

I don't if macho man can even be stunned. Last I heard Macho man has ALOT of healing/anti-stun chemicals in him at all times, and has a full-heal/stun-remove ability.
A Macho Man is spawned with near-lethal levels of Stimulants in his bloodstream so a lot of the stun resistance is just the consequence of being high as a kite. In theory if you could neutralize the Stimulants or even just wait them out he'd be much easier to deal with.

Macho Men are also bad at ranged combat. The best they can do is protect themselves with Defensive Stance and that primarily works against melee range attacks. They also can't handle large amounts of incoming damage so an explosion or heavy gunfire should be able to kill them. The problem is doing all that without letting them get their hands on you or Macho Leap away, since you're pretty much instantly dead if one gets next to you.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I once saw one die after a clown tricked him into farting on a bible.

Here's to clowns, the cause of (and solution to) all of space's problems :v:

Gannets
Oct 20, 2012
I like this videogame a lot.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

to give you an idea of what you are missing: just now, in the irc channel the chaps and lasses hang out in, i wrote a short fanfiction about one of the other admins (HI WONK) buggering a pumpkin. god bless

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmm, where's the best place to start with medicine? Should I just start playing medical doctor and accepting that I'll accidentally murder everyone I try treating until I get the hang of it?

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
g

Gooses and Geeses fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Aug 14, 2020

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmm, where's the best place to start with medicine? Should I just start playing medical doctor and accepting that I'll accidentally murder everyone I try treating until I get the hang of it?

Doctor's a lot of fun, yeah! All you really gotta know to start off with is that bandages stop bleeding, styptic powder heals brute damage, and that silver sulfadiazine heals burn damage and you'll be prepared to deal with like 80% of the injuries you'll see. Make sure to grab one of the pairs of health goggles lying around the bay, too. If you want to run around the station and rescue people from whatever exploded this fifteen-minute-interval, than the paramedic suit helps you deal with hull-breached areas if you can't get a full spacesuit.

Other than that, just mess with chemistry and surgery for more advanced doctoring! Just know that if you gently caress up, the cloner is right next door. :v:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

PopeCrunch posted:

to give you an idea of what you are missing: just now, in the irc channel the chaps and lasses hang out in, i wrote a short fanfiction about one of the other admins (HI WONK) buggering a pumpkin. god bless

I can only assume you thought this would be funny or endearing when you made the decision to post it. :froggonk:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

thanks for the advice to avoid the IRC channel

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

I can only assume you thought this would be funny or endearing when you made the decision to post it. :froggonk:

This is not how to build up the player base jfc :froggonk:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

PopeCrunch posted:

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Every time I go into the goonstation IRC channel it mostly seems to consist of the admins being ironically(?) rude to each other, followed by another round of the endless, self-perpetuating argument of 'who was a dick to who that one time'. Actual SS13 related matters only ever seem to turn up as the conversation topic once in a blue moon, entirely coincidentally/accidentally.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
space station players like furries thrive on drama, and there is an awful lot of overlap

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm not an admin or anything (I used to be but then I gibbed an entire server) but I hang out in IRC a lot (I am RueLibbe in IRC, I play pretty frequently but always with random names) and would love to know what you guys, that is the newer players or people who are turned off by the drama, would like to see IRC be. I feel like this server and codebase have a lot to offer once you actually get in game and I am trying to do my part to address some of these concerns because I think the goon admin style and ruleset are a lot more fun and raucous with higher populations.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
It's difficult,but also extremely fun, to play as AI when 4 different people keep uploading nonsensical/funny/contradicting laws. (I was ARSENE in that round if anyone was there)

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

g

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Yeah when we get lovely in IRC it's always in the limited-access channels. I mean there's running gags about me being the vilest creature to ever walk this earth and wonk having a truly worrying fixation on giving owls Special Touches but that's all they are, running gags, and everyone's in on the joke. The rare time a joke lands wrong or goes too far, we're pretty open about apologizing and moving on.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

shovelbum posted:

I'm not an admin or anything (I used to be but then I gibbed an entire server) but I hang out in IRC a lot (I am RueLibbe in IRC, I play pretty frequently but always with random names) and would love to know what you guys, that is the newer players or people who are turned off by the drama, would like to see IRC be. I feel like this server and codebase have a lot to offer once you actually get in game and I am trying to do my part to address some of these concerns because I think the goon admin style and ruleset are a lot more fun and raucous with higher populations.

I popped in for a few days trying out the game for the 1st time. I was aware of the rule in IRC not to talk about an ongoing game. However, after asking in modhelp / adminhelp in game about some very basic game mechanics stuff and getting no answer I asked in IRC. I tried to ask in a way that was general enough that it didn't really pertain directly to the game at hand in any meaningful way. I got several "DONT TALK ABOUT ONGOING GAMES" etc etc and then warned about it again after the game was over.

As a new player who is just trying to figure out how not to beat themselves to death with a fire extinguisher, etc, it kinda sucked to have to wait >30-40 mins just to ask a basic question. Like, I totally get the concept about not talking about the game while it is occurring, but totally felt that some basic game mechanic stuff or a rules clarification even for a brand new player might at least be warranted. Seemed not. If the letter of that rule needs to be upheld I get it, but it was definitely counterproductive. I just stopped hanging in IRC after that and really haven't played more than 1-2 times since.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

g

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Cool.

Yeah I did use mentorhelp first but didn't get any answers after a few mins, so reluctantly went to IRC with it.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

g

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

If you're new and need help, you can also just ask over the radios for it. Being a :shobon: clueless newbie :shobon: is totally fine and will usually either get you someone to help you learn the ropes, or at least someone to come along and do something exciting to or for you.

Anecdotally, one of my very first rounds, many years ago, i asked for someone to come teach me anything neat. A guy in a clown costume came along and was all like "yo, watch this neat trick!" he then produced a shard of class and dramatically slit his own throat, spraying blood everywhere while screaming, then gasping, then dying. I started freaking out about it over radio, but got even more freaked out when he stood back up, apparently completely unharmed. He lit a cigarette and said "and that is why i won't do more than two shows a day. I won't. I won't do it." while casually strolling away.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

neogeo0823 posted:

If you're new and need help, you can also just ask over the radios for it. Being a :shobon: clueless newbie :shobon: is totally fine and will usually either get you someone to help you learn the ropes, or at least someone to come along and do something exciting to or for you.

Anecdotally, one of my very first rounds, many years ago, i asked for someone to come teach me anything neat. A guy in a clown costume came along and was all like "yo, watch this neat trick!" he then produced a shard of class and dramatically slit his own throat, spraying blood everywhere while screaming, then gasping, then dying. I started freaking out about it over radio, but got even more freaked out when he stood back up, apparently completely unharmed. He lit a cigarette and said "and that is why i won't do more than two shows a day. I won't. I won't do it." while casually strolling away.

A Good Clown

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Staff in general and nobody in particular need to chill the gently caress out and be nicer to players about stuff like that IRC interaction. I spent a lot of time telling other admins to not be so rude to the point I got sick of constantly arguing about it and being labeled a lover of "shitlords". We have a tendency to get super dickish to people about the rules and it's just not good for anyone.

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 19, 2017

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

neogeo0823 posted:

That man is a professional and I hope you learned many things from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

This is going to betray my newness, but I've been having a lot of trouble juggling the number of items doctors need to handle: medkit in one hand, health analyzer in the other, but the instant I need to put a syringe/bandage/powder in my hand, I need to drop something. Is this just a minor bit of clunk that you get over by getting more proficient at rapidly handing/unhanding stuff?