Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Jazerus posted:

Always spawn in private.

One issue is with detectives running about with thermals and nosy AI's it can be just gosh darn awful trying to figure out where you aren't being watched like a hawk.

How about we share some sneaky spots between the camera systems that we know about? There used to be a secret passage in the confession booth that's probably still there in some form or another. It was always good for some light traitoring or just building a house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Speaking of sneaky, once in a while when there's a new chem or when recipes change I'll random name, then creep around gathering random bullshit. Like writing "dear ai is there anyone in (whatever room has the candy machine), say something g about space weather if yes or something about yetis if no" and otherwise involve other players in my sneakiness - then holler over the radio I FIGURED IT OUT BWAHAHA and fling myself out an airlock.

I'll never recapture the brilliance of The Triplepiss Incident, but I drive people nuts sometimes.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

PopeCrunch posted:

Speaking of sneaky, once in a while when there's a new chem or when recipes change I'll random name, then creep around gathering random bullshit. Like writing "dear ai is there anyone in (whatever room has the candy machine), say something g about space weather if yes or something about yetis if no" and otherwise involve other players in my sneakiness - then holler over the radio I FIGURED IT OUT BWAHAHA and fling myself out an airlock.

I'll never recapture the brilliance of The Triplepiss Incident, but I drive people nuts sometimes.

That was amazing, you had the chem nerds tying themselves in knots trying to figure it out.

By the way, if there are people running around flinging rainbow melons at everything in sight, is it acceptable to beat the ever loving poo poo out of them? A few melons can put someone right into crit.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

SugarAddict posted:

Emagging different things do different things.

For vendors, dispensers, and manufacturers it just removes their ID lock,
for defibs it shocks people real drat good,
for borgs they just don't have to follow laws anymore (this doesn't turn them into syndieborgs or requires that they do what you tell them, and it doesn't protect them from being killswitched),
for doors it forces them to open and stay open, if a door is bolted shut it can be unbolted and opened but can no longer be closed,
for cyber hearts it gives more stamina and a chance to recover from shocks but also gives a significantly greater chance for it to break from shocks,
for injectors it just removes their safeties,
for the QM console it's supposed to give you access to syndie traders,
for the turret control console one slap makes it switch randomly between off, taser, and laser, two slaps makes it always laser,
it varies for different bots, floor bots rip up floors, firebots blow people around, medibots inject people with horrible chems, janitorbots just make the floor wet, and security bots stun and arrest EVERYONE, one slap for simple, second slap for crazy mode.

It unlocks safes and closets, but makes crates do their failsafe and stab/shock/grind (they used to just explode on you and kill you).

Emag an emag. Emag Beepsky with the result. Emag him again afterword.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

reignofevil posted:

One issue is with detectives running about with thermals and nosy AI's it can be just gosh darn awful trying to figure out where you aren't being watched like a hawk.

How about we share some sneaky spots between the camera systems that we know about? There used to be a secret passage in the confession booth that's probably still there in some form or another. It was always good for some light traitoring or just building a house.

on cog1 i like the owlery, it's not a camera-free area but who is ever looking at the owlery?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Jazerus posted:

on cog1 i like the owlery, it's not a camera-free area but who is ever looking at the owlery?

That's pretty much the entire designed purpose of the Owlery too.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
You can also create your own camera-free zone by using wirecutters on security cameras. The AI will know something is up if they happen to try to look through a disabled camera, but they won't be able to see exactly what until they dispatch a human or Borg to check on it.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
You can also go offstation. Head to the diner or mining station, or just hop a pod and fly off somewhere. If you have air you can survive outside in a hollow asteroid for long enough to spawn your gear. People rarely even notice a pod leaving and it's no proof of anything since there's no rules against taking out a free pod that you have access to.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
Just don't spawn anything inside a locker, itll show up outside the locker

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Nosy AIs are the absolute worst. Why would you call out a traitor spawning his gear. You are just ruining the fun for probably a whole lot of people without any reason. Now if he goes on a murder rampage with a saber and openly stabbing people, by all means feel free.

Honestly when I play AI I just pick a gimmick and let the crew have their freedom.

Calling out the Captain who is a massive turbonerd, stunning people and getting all the mutations in genetics is fun. Watching a dude charge in there and spray him full of anti mutadone is even more fun. Oh boy the captain was really mad.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

If the AI calls you out then you weren't sneaky enough. There's nothing saying the AI can't sound the horn if you're caught doing crime.

Personally I would PDA them with a polite warning that ownership of contraband is likely to get them in hot water and suggest that maybe they should turn in the thing they found to security.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Yeah the AI is allowed to be nosy. It's lame and good AIs don't play it that way but it's fair if they catch you. There are many ways to either spawn objects under other objects such that the AI can't tell that you're spawning things or just to distract or catch a blind spot so that the AI can't look at you. If you keep track of what the AI is saying you can often get a sense for where its attention is focused, and it's even possible to distract it deliberately by asking it to check on something for you.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

If you're feeling sufficiently paranoid, you can take a quick run out to the space diner.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

neogeo0823 posted:

Emag an emag. Emag Beepsky with the result. Emag him again afterword.

Emag Heisenbee :kimchi:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Spy_Guy posted:

If the AI calls you out then you weren't sneaky enough. There's nothing saying the AI can't sound the horn if you're caught doing a crime.

Personally, I would PDA them with a polite warning that ownership of contraband is likely to get them in hot water and suggest that maybe they should turn in the thing they found to security.

I am not talking about the act of crime itself. If somebody murders somebody and I notice it, then I will call it out.

But if a traitor retreats to a hiding spot somewhere and spawns his gear I am not gonna scream "Dr. Floorpills is a traitor that spawned an EMAG!"

I just want this game to be fun for everybody, and that includes the traitor as well. Sometimes you gotta strike a balance somewhere. And as long as you obey your rules :shrug:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Nakar posted:

You can also go offstation. Head to the diner or mining station, or just hop a pod and fly off somewhere. If you have air you can survive outside in a hollow asteroid for long enough to spawn your gear. People rarely even notice a pod leaving and it's no proof of anything since there's no rules against taking out a free pod that you have access to.

I was a traitor again! This time I was a miner so I flew behind a rock and spawned the fake geological scanner. Cogmap2 is huge so I was able to use my low-yield mining charges to knock holes in walls without much notice. My objective was dumb so I was trying to sabotage the engine/blow up Engineering while avoiding the nosy engineer. All went well until a mindslaved murderer ripped my heart out :saddowns:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Michaellaneous posted:

I am not talking about the act of crime itself. If somebody murders somebody and I notice it, then I will call it out.

But if a traitor retreats to a hiding spot somewhere and spawns his gear I am not gonna scream "Dr. Floorpills is a traitor that spawned an EMAG!"

I just want this game to be fun for everybody, and that includes the traitor as well. Sometimes you gotta strike a balance somewhere. And as long as you obey your rules :shrug:

I liked to call out things in rather vague terminology when I spotted someone who hadn't been spotted yet. A traitor spawning gear got told off for littering, but so did other people. A vampire in the process of sucking blood got told to "desist unsanitary practices" but I also found reasons to declare that other regular people were also doing unsanitary things.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Spawning items is not a crime and shouldn't be tattled on; as the AI I rarely try to hinder traitors anyway unless they're turbomurderous. After all, they're as human as anybody else! (Sometimes more so.) Reporting them could get them hurt, and while it's true that they might hurt other humans, harm to humans due to AI inaction is much more acceptable than harm to humans due to AI action.

The inhuman antags, however, are a totally different story.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

IMHO all these people who are experts on intended AI behavior should play AI more often. :colbert:

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
There was quite a while, back when I played a lot, that I made it my mission to kill the AI first, every time I had traitor. There were a few traitor rounds in a row that the AI was watching me, and would immediately just bolted me inside whatever room I was in, the second after spawning some gear. I figure it was because I just rampaged every time I could, but I mean, that's still metagaming on the AI's part. Past rounds and stuff. I got drat good at the speediest way to kill him

It was even worse because I knew what the AI dude was feeling. That was the only excitement he was going to get in his entire 50 minute round, because it's the most boring job on the station

Hey, you guys don't like, shadow ban people from antagonist do you? I was pretty much the worst for a while. Every single time I got antagonist or even mindslave, I'd immediately go and make a huge batch of booster enzymes and then just eat some meth and omnizine and then kill every single person on the station. I think it might have bugged some people

Kayle7 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 28, 2017

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I just like an AI that will open doors for me. Other than that I don't care.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is it about Space Station 13 that has people humble bragging about how awful they are?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
As a ghost drone, am I allowed to fart on people who fall over on the escape shuttle?

(or anywhere else for that matter)

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Kayle7 posted:

Hey, you guys don't like, shadow ban people from antagonist do you? I was pretty much the worst for a while. Every single time I got antagonist or even mindslave, I'd immediately go and make a huge batch of booster enzymes and then just eat some meth and omnizine and then kill every single person on the station. I think it might have bugged some people

If you get antagbanned your character setup thingy will show all antag roles with a strikethrough, so you'd be able to tell.

Also an antagban is so insanely rare that you are unlikely to cop one without doing something actively harmful to the server or server population.
A notable example being the guy who got lowpop ling, then ate everyone coming off arrivals and recalling the emergency shuttle. He kept the round going for nine hours. This is not an achievement to be proud of and he got a :fuckoff: when discovered.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
id play ai more often if the server had any population

lowpop ai is boring as poo poo

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Just got to do traitor chaplain for the first time. I took the contract kit and 4 microbombs, but I ended up never needing the bombs-- people were quite willing to sign away their souls. I ended the round with 12 contracts signed!

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

SpaceClown posted:

id play ai more often if the server had any population

lowpop ai is boring as poo poo

Lowpop AI is the perfect time to screw around with telescience, then pretend to be a dragon by creating a horde in your upload.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

SoftNum posted:

IMHO all these people who are experts on intended AI behavior should play AI more often. :colbert:

I play AI every other round :colbert:

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

As a ghost drone, am I allowed to fart on people who fall over on the escape shuttle?

(or anywhere else for that matter)

Technically, no.

Kayle7 posted:

There was quite a while, back when I played a lot, that I made it my mission to kill the AI first, every time I had traitor. There were a few traitor rounds in a row that the AI was watching me, and would immediately just bolted me inside whatever room I was in, the second after spawning some gear. I figure it was because I just rampaged every time I could, but I mean, that's still metagaming on the AI's part. Past rounds and stuff. I got drat good at the speediest way to kill him

It was even worse because I knew what the AI dude was feeling. That was the only excitement he was going to get in his entire 50 minute round, because it's the most boring job on the station

That person was frankly an idiot. You can have a lot of fun just helping random people silently, observing what they do. Why would you actively try to do anything in your abilities to stop a traitor from rewriting you? That makes literally 0 sense.

e: Also a small tip: If the AI is being a turbonerd shitlord, and you are either a traitor or not...just start cutting cameras with wirecutters.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 28, 2017

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
You're not supposed to interact with people as a ghost drone, but that rule is only really enforced when it interferes with the round. Nobody is going to grump at you for farting on someone.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Yeah that is why I said "technically".

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
the true goal of ghost drone is to find a neat hat and do such a good job that everyone loves you but also you don't interact with anyone

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Jazerus posted:

Spawning items is not a crime and shouldn't be tattled on

Dude people are murdered REGULARLY for just that and it's ALWAYS fine because they were a traitor.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Jazerus posted:

Spawning items is not a crime and shouldn't be tattled on
Contraband items are illegal. Utilizing unknown channels to acquire contraband items is most certainly a crime. If you're spawning gear in your spawn area within the first minutes of the game then the AI is likely doing a general survey of all the areas on the station just to see who is doing what and how many people there are. Wait a few minutes or find a more remote area.

It isn't that hard to not get caught by the AI, guys.

Anticheese posted:

If you're feeling sufficiently paranoid, you can take a quick run out to the space diner.
Random interesting thing: Sometimes during a round you can spawn with a Notes entry that gives you the code to a personal pod, which often seems to spawn in the top hangar at the diner. It's pretty neat, it's basically a free semi-upgraded pod that only you can get into assuming nobody went and destroyed it for existing.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Nakar posted:

Contraband items are illegal. Utilizing unknown channels to acquire contraband items is most certainly a crime. If you're spawning gear in your spawn area within the first minutes of the game then the AI is likely doing a general survey of all the areas on the station just to see who is doing what and how many people there are. Wait a few minutes or find a more remote area.

Random interesting thing: Sometimes during a round you can spawn with a Notes entry that gives you the code to a personal pod, which often seems to spawn in the top hangar at the diner. It's pretty neat, it's basically a free semi-upgraded pod that only you can get into assuming nobody went and destroyed it for existing.

I am sorry, can you point out the rule that forces the AI to shout out every crime it sees?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Michaellaneous posted:

I am sorry, can you point out the rule that forces the AI to shout out every crime it sees?

Can you point out the rule that forces players to play for your maximum enjoyment?

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
pointing at cans rules

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

SoftNum posted:

Can you point out the rule that forces players to play for your maximum enjoyment?

Common sense?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Nakar posted:

If you're spawning gear in your spawn area within the first minutes of the game then the AI is likely doing a general survey of all the areas on the station just to see who is doing what and how many people there are. Wait a few minutes or find a more remote area.

This. The AI is able to look most anywhere without being noticed. Traitors should really not be spawning items during times that the AI would normally be looking around to catch them. Wait a few minutes for the AI to get situated, go to an area that has few/no cameras, and cut any that are there. People getting pissed that the AI or anyone else caught them spawning traitor gear in the middle of medbay or telsci or engineering need to realize that just because there's not a person around doesn't mean they're out of sight.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Michaellaneous posted:

There's no rule saying the AI is required to do that, but there's no rule saying the AI isn't allowed to do that either. I personally don't do it and I think it's lovely for AIs to do it, but it's allowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Main Paineframe posted:

There's no rule saying the AI is required to do that, but there's no rule saying the AI isn't allowed to do that either. I personally don't do it and I think it's lovely for AIs to do it, but it's allowed.
Correct. The AI is allowed to be a nosy tattletale if it wants to and it doesn't have a law telling it otherwise. It is allowed to report you for criming and try to isolate you if it knows you're trying to kill people. It's also kind of lame for it to do these things unless you're a hell-rampager, but nothing prevents the AI from doing this.

If your goal is to succeed as an antagonist, just assume the AI is a shitbag brown-noser who will rat you out if it sees you and play around it so you aren't caught. If that means destroying the AI early or just subverting it to distract everybody, do that. If you play uncautiously on the assumption that the AI will be cool and not a dick, you're going to get burned. Assume the AI is always watching you and will report you until it proves otherwise and you should be able to get away with stuff. Also, again, the AI can literally do nothing if you're offstation. It has no cameras out there, it can't see poo poo.