Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Hav posted:

Yeah. The increasing use of re-levelling already sold images to provide for demand is a tactic. Artificial scarcity is a tactic. Building new ships is a tactic. Referral programs are a tactic. Coming up with a way for people to rent out their images before their images do anything but be an image is a tactic.

It's all farming of expectation; literally the same people that buy those damned silver eagle proofs at a 300% markup on the basis that silver is just going to appreciate, without realizing that it's the spot price of the bullion that matters, not the damned stamp.

OTOH, I kinda like some of the designs, but we sat watching the pitch for a 3 mint certified set of 1oz eagles where the 'retail' was $995 based upon the scarcity of two of the mint proofs. Get in early and they're worth $50, with the certification process being an additional that simply _verifies_ the silver content. It's a scam based on the concepts of scarcity and future appreciation of 1oz of silver.

And people seriously buy buttcoins.

unrelated but I have this old friend who is heavy into this Kyani MLM/pyramid scheme and once in awhile he'll post pictures about this new stock photo house he's thinking about buying, or this new stock photo sports car that he swears is waiting for him at the dealership. Anyways he'll bring up every now and then how everyone should invest in bitcoin because youd be dumb not to. What is with idiots being so easily conned, I just don't understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

nawledgelambo posted:

What is with idiots being so easily conned, I just don't understand

A fool and his money are soon parped.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

shrach posted:

This it a bit of accounting but that is much simpler to explain when you work backwards from cashflow and consider how people tend to treat companies as their own personal money.

In 2015 they had expenses that had to be paid of ~£15m so they had to transfer £15m to the UK because they had to cover these expenses. That is probably the entirety of their accounting records. So at the end of the year, they just said that £15m was their turnover and they arrived at their turnover by basing it on their costs and then gave it no further thought. Because the tax credit was still just accrued income, they didn't really think about the future when they would actually be receiving the money.

So in 2016 when they started to actually receive the tax credits they no longer needed to cover the full expenditure in the UK from the US. One of the core concepts in accountancy is consistency, which means they couldn't just change their policy without changing the previous year comparatives. So last year their policy and turnover was basically 100% of costs. Their new policy is 80% of costs with the tax credits covering the other 20%. So they retrospectively pretend that some of the money in the previous year was just an interest free loan or prepayment.

Makes sense. Which is precisely what I noted in my write-up that, as a result of these tax credits, they had to "clean" their books or they would be in deep poo poo with the govt.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sappo569 posted:

I almost wish i had a sizeable chunk of space ship jpegs , Just so I could do my hardest to try and bring legal action against them

I think by changing to pre order , And as per the original tos the date has flown by (infact so has the revised date) for delivery of the product , they are going to be really screwed

It's probably the lawyers telling them they have to simply because they can't hide under the pretense of a pledge anymore , sorry but the only 100 million dollar company able to get away with that poo poo is the church

And as much as Chris sees himself a messiah he is just a thumb at the end of the day

I probably wouldn't. The money is probably starting to dry up. "Releasing" is just throwing in the towel. The Roberts and friends are all millionaires.

Landing sucflt.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I still can't believe Erin gets paid like 400k USD ... how are the backers ok with that 'set your own pay, they'll never know' bullshit

You know crobberts is easily 1mil then , And Sandi close behind

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I don't think I'll ever get over the creativity on display.

I'm not sure how anybody can even pretend to fake themselves as creative when the only way they can describe their own thought process is to compare it to the movies you've stolen the ideas from.

It's almost like somebody having the balls to just steal some kind of iconic monster like the alien or Dune sandworm and suddenly say "oh I came up with this!"

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sappo569 posted:

I still can't believe Erin gets paid like 400k USD ... how are the backers ok with that 'set your own pay, they'll never know' bullshit

You know crobberts is easily 1mil then , And Sandi close behind

Funny thing is he punched his ticket to hell in this farce. He was stamping out Lego games faster than folks buying accounts on this comedy forum.

Point is, he know he is hosed...and well, that is a sad place to be in. He followed his big brother's dream.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

The player returns to UEE space at the end of the campaign knowing that Barky Barklonia is still left behind enemy lines.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Decrepus posted:

The player returns to UEE space at the end of the campaign knowing that Barky Barklonia is still left behind enemy lines.

Fortunately I have a small squadron stowed away in my cargo containers for a counter-attack.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Colostomy Bag posted:

Funny thing is he punched his ticket to hell in this farce. He was stamping out Lego games faster than folks buying accounts on this comedy forum.

Point is, he know he is hosed...and well, that is a sad place to be in. He followed his big brother's dream.

Can't wait till this is all over and everyone in the executive team tries to go get regular jobs

:phoneb: 'So Mr.... Lesnick.... I see here you were master of space... ships? At Cloud Imperium Games, and you asked for a starting salary of $80,000 plus benefits. You put a little red arrow beside benefits and wrote "All you can eat candy""

:lesnick:"Wing commander!"

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Snazzy Frocks posted:

no but my functioning eyes tell me those windows in the background suggest mid day

Trap sprung day walker

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Sappo569 posted:

Can't wait till this is all over and everyone in the executive team tries to go get regular jobs

:phoneb: 'So Mr.... Lesnick.... I see here you were master of space... ships? At Cloud Imperium Games, and you asked for a starting salary of $80,000 plus benefits. You put a little red arrow beside benefits and wrote "All you can eat candy""

:lesnick:"Wing commander!"

This whole debacle would make an episode of Matlock seem plausible.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

The Titanic posted:

I don't think I'll ever get over the creativity on display.

I'm not sure how anybody can even pretend to fake themselves as creative when the only way they can describe their own thought process is to compare it to the movies you've stolen the ideas from.

It's almost like somebody having the balls to just steal some kind of iconic monster like the alien or Dune sandworm and suddenly say "oh I came up with this!"

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

teh_Broseph posted:

kind of like Commander Cain on the Pegasus in [classic] Battlestar Galactica

Of course he references Galactica. And of course it's the lovely one. Sad and hilarious, like this whole freak show.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Breathtaking....

https://twitter.com/sandigardiner/status/874711460403748864

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
it felt as though a million commandos cried out in terror and then suddenly t-posed

Nicholas fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 14, 2017

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMLITEO9diU

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Colostomy Bag posted:

Fortunately I have a small squadron stowed away in my cargo containers for a counter-attack.

Unfortunately, I broke both my grabby hands and I won't be able to unload them for another couple of weeks months.

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

sandy mocap going well

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Virtual Captain posted:

One of the new guys is grabbing quotes from Roberts so I came up with this idea to show them page.

I thought this one was funny because of how absurd it is:

Forgive the blatant "err", "umm", and "uhh" omissions.

Nice url hotlinking your sources... DEREK FART!!!!!

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

Putting the finishing touches in the upcoming 3.0 ToS revision :grin:

Sprinting through that last mile Derek?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Whoa! there is some pink on that grey!

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

big nipples big life posted:

I have a hard time seeing croberts forking over 30% to valve but yeah steam sales, steam doodads and a super low price point could move more. The main point is that they have already sold the game to the vast majority of their market and all they have right now is debt.
But Steam offers....refunds. :eek:

(also, since Valve is reconfiguring their trading card system so that cards only become available after a game has met some kind of player-base threshold, and S42's initial release may not in fact be actually playable, who knows if cards would even be a thing for it.)

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017
Well I certainly hope that 48 Hrs Non-Stop Power Leveling is worth the 80 bucks I paid.
https://www.starcitizen-store.com/star-citizen-powerleveling

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Trilobite posted:

But Steam offers....refunds. :eek:

(also, since Valve is reconfiguring their trading card system so that cards only become available after a game has met some kind of player-base threshold, and S42's initial release may not in fact be actually playable, who knows if cards would even be a thing for it.)

Steam also has a review section and a review score (recent and overall) in the game's store page, that CIG can't have control of.
SC or SQ42 in whatever state (the more probable would be early access) are never going on Steam.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Yes, crobberts is truely a luminary in the video gaming industry. I had never even loving heard of his dumb rear end before star citizen, and I'm not exactly some gaming neophyte. wing commander was not as popular as these chuckle heads remember. I bet you could go to any gaming convention and less than 5% of convention goers would recognize the name. Meanwhile, NDT is easily recognized by the general public, even by people who know gently caress all about astrophysics.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

More art assets, just what this game needs!

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

Aw don't worry little buddy no need to be mad
As long as you keep believing, Star Citizen will come true like Chris promised

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Ben Lesnick, Developer.

Chris Roberts, Luminary.

Sandi Roberts, Actress.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

phosdex posted:

definitely going to be a lot of mental gymnastics going on to justify it.

That's easy: Going for a pre-order (or order) is good for Star Citizen, since 3.0 will be the official MVP and thus the end of evil refund attacks by evil goons. Sad, very sad.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

I agree, the scam theyre pulling off here truly IS incredible.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

:3:

I love it when you dissapear then just pop back outta no-where, i always get worried that the best TOS writer since he was a little boy would just dissapear never to be seen nor heard from again. Keep on TOS'ng posting friend. 1 day you'll create the TOS of all TOS and that will stop those dirty leavers from refunding... :wave:

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Krycek posted:

Yes, crobberts is truely a luminary in the video gaming industry. I had never even loving heard of his dumb rear end before star citizen, and I'm not exactly some gaming neophyte. wing commander was not as popular as these chuckle heads remember. I bet you could go to any gaming convention and less than 5% of convention goers would recognize the name. Meanwhile, NDT is easily recognized by the general public, even by people who know gently caress all about astrophysics.

Some of it isn't due to any reality based opinion.

The dream is huge and impossible but more importantly the dream is real.

Only a visionary could create the impossible so to believe they are receiving the impossible they have to believe the guy selling it to them is capable of delivering it and is therefore a visionary einstein-of-game-development while everything they've ever done is now considered a masterpiece.

Chris Roberts' skillset is directly proportional to however skilled they need him to be to believe he can give them literally anything they can imagine. It's sad but also kinda crazy.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Of course he references Galactica. And of course it's the lovely one. Sad and hilarious, like this whole freak show.

No, he was talking about the good one. You know, with Lorne Green and Dirk Benedict.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Sabreseven posted:

Quite possibly, one of the most stupid/lame/cheesy/overdone plot/storylines to exist.

1. Why are you trying to find out where parpgary went? Is he somehow important to winning a war?
2. No one cares if parpgary lost his mind, it's war, ptsd happens.
3. Enemy are trying to shortcut to Earth? So what? Close the short cut or blockade it. How is one guy going to stop that? (heard the shortcut storyline before in about 100 other films)
4. Big last stand, great, no one saw that coming, so pointless trying to stop the enemy doing a shortcut if it's going to come down to a 'last stand' anyway then isn't it?
5. No one cares parpgary got left behind, it's not affected the plot/story at all anyway has it?
6. You're a war hero, you failed to prevent a last stand even though you plugged a short cut for an armarda of enemies all by yourself apparently, you suck, the story makes no sense, but you're a hero?
7. Parpgary is still out there fighting, even though you stopped the enemy? And retired? You fucker, you left the fleet commander out there all by himself even though the whole point of the game was to go get him, oh, I forgot no one cares, go collect your Aurora wankmobile and sit idle until SC somehow becomes a game somehow.

S42's story revolves around parp. Hit me right in my grief cortex why don't you. :negative:

In the unlikely event of a release. Sign me up to work on the airhorn mod.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

God drat there's so much wrong with this that it's hard to even know where to start. I mean I feel like the obvious starting point is laughing at the idea that Crobblers is a popular public figure, but maybe the weird deification of known science talking man Neil deGrasse Tyson is actually more telling about what kind of moron obey is.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Virtual Captain posted:

S42's story revolves around parp. Hit me right in my grief cortex why don't you. :negative:

In the unlikely event of a release. Sign me up to work on the airhorn mod.

Because you think it won't revolve around Pusher? You sweet summer child.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I want to play as a luminary in SC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I've been home sick recently, and playing a shitload of Grand Theft Auto V, and one thing I noticed is how well Rockstar made the AI seem like it works. Once you start looking closely you notice spawn configurations and duplicates and paths and all that, but if you're just cruising around it really does look and feel like you're in a city. I was thinking yesterday that they managed to make something look good without being overly complex and eating up a shitload of resources, and I can't for the life of me imagine CIG being able to get fifteen NPCs to share a cafeteria together without it going completely wrong, subsumption and all.