Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

From everything I've read, this poo poo ain't gonna last at all. All new alt coins and even Eth(the current darling of miners) are all about Proof of stake(i.e. Not mining). Eth was supposed to move to PoS this year but well, cryptocurrency 🕺🏻

NVIDIA cards are best mining zCash anyway which has no plans to go PoS. Would be interesting so see NVIDIA cards becoming the better mining choice when Eth goes PoS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Yeah with Nicehash my cards have already been mining Eth less and less often over time.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If Nvidia becomes the card of choice for mining nobody will buy amd cards

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Don Lapre posted:

If consumer Volta turns out to a mining champ, AMD's ~18% dGPU marketshare in 2015 would look like a utopia by then.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I can't imagine why it wouldn't be since eth is one of the only coins that doesn't do best on CUDA miners afaik and it's eventually going to freeze the gently caress over and/or go PoS. Especially with the rumor that Volta is keeping GDDR5X I'd say everything about how well those cards are going to mine is basically a known quantity sloping up from the 1080ti.

AMD might still hold value/hash king if Polaris cards ever touch MSRP again though. They're just drat cheap for the amount of grunt they pack.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
I'm looking forward to a year from now when we're all complaining about not being able to buy a Volta card because of buttminers and our gaming PCs are all crossfired $90 580s.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Krailor posted:

I'm looking forward to a year from now when we're all complaining about not being able to buy a Volta card because of buttminers and our gaming PCs are all crossfired $90 580s.

invest in freesync IPS 1440p monitors, buy low sell high :eng101:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Cygni posted:

I don't think we really need to rely on rumors, the Vega Frontier Edition is 300W on air and 375W for the liquid. I imagine thats what the gaming cards will be at too (for the 16gig version anyway), since its the same silicon.

I want to see how apple manages to keep it cool in their imac pro.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Isnt their MO to underclock undervolt to keep cool in mac book pros? Should be the same in an imac I would assume

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Don Lapre posted:

1080p gamers. Hell, Freesync is a nice thing to have even on a low end 1080p display just because you get rid of the tears without inducing the lag.

I'm looking for a 1070 for Hackintosh related reasons and putting the dream of a nice monitor on hold (I should just wait until High Sierra but I can't go cardless that long), but if I wasn't into running OSX I think Freesync would keep me loyal to AMD at least until Nvidia's eventual adoption.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

CFox posted:

Right now the top 3 sold 1070 listings on ebay in the US are 510, 530, 700. They're generally selling for around $500 except for clueless people that list them for less.

drat, I just bought an Asus Dual 1070 for $360 about a month ago. I'm very tempted to sell it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

The Lord Bude posted:

I want to see how apple manages to keep it cool in their imac pro.

As mentioned, underclocking/undervolting, and then probably just letting them run a bit hotter internally than most of us would be comfortable with. Apple has never really been all that interested in chasing any sort of performance crown (or even honorable mention), so if an Apple-version GPU has to be neutered by 20% compared to a generic version in order to not melt the case, then that's what they'll do. Hell, they'll do it and tell you they "optimized it" with a straight face.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Is it even possible to drive a monitor at >60Hz on Mac yet? The last time I looked into it, some years ago, it involved patching support into the OS by modifying some system library.

eames
May 9, 2009

165 Hz worked fine with a Pascal card and the latest web drivers when I tested it, even G-Sync is supported (although only full screen from what I can tell).

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

People will buy anything if the price is right.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Can someone quantify how much the RX 480 4 GB's slower memory hurts it vs the 8 GB in gaming? IIRC the Samsung stuff on the 8 GB usually overclocks farther too?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Can someone quantify how much the RX 480 4 GB's slower memory hurts it vs the 8 GB in gaming? IIRC the Samsung stuff on the 8 GB usually overclocks farther too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjTUtUF6gxg&t=105s

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

DrDork posted:

As mentioned, underclocking/undervolting, and then probably just letting them run a bit hotter internally than most of us would be comfortable with. Apple has never really been all that interested in chasing any sort of performance crown (or even honorable mention), so if an Apple-version GPU has to be neutered by 20% compared to a generic version in order to not melt the case, then that's what they'll do. Hell, they'll do it and tell you they "optimized it" with a straight face.
it also helps that AMD cards downvolt hilariously well because of overvolting and overclocking 50% more watts to squeeze 8% more performance out

eames
May 9, 2009

Does anyone here have firsthand experience with two 1070s in SLI?
I'm trying to figure out at what pricepoint that would be worth it over a single 1080/Ti for 1440p/165Hz but it looks like scaling is still all over the place.
I think if two 1070s become cheaper than a 1080 it'll be worth looking into, although Volta will be around the corner by then.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

eames posted:

I'm trying to figure out at what pricepoint that would be worth it over a single 1080/Ti for 1440p/165Hz but it looks like scaling is still all over the place.
I think if two 1070s become cheaper than a 1080 it'll be worth looking into, although Volta will be around the corner by then.

I've got experience with 2 970's and 2 1080ti's, used in single and then SLI configs

In short, SLI loving sucks, unless the game you want to play specifically has SLI drivers and it's been 6 months since release (enough time to get the SLI patch up to snuff)

Having 2 cards is still better than having one because you can offload some physx poo poo to one as long as the game says it uses PhysX, and you can activate it for SLI enabled games. Still, I'd always go for the faster single card every time instead of 2 cheaper cards.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

eames posted:

Unless the pricing goes really out of whack the single card is almost always going to be the better idea. This is coming from someone with SLI 970s right now. One of my friends has a 980ti and while I can barely beat him in 3DMark and certain very SLI-friendly games he kicks my rear end in most everything else.

It rarely ever makes sense to buy SLI of anything that's not the top end model off the bat, and even that doesn't really make sense it's just the only way to go faster at that point. If you have one card and end up getting a good deal on a second some point down the line that's another matter, but if you're looking at buying two 1070s you really should just buy the 1080ti.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
IMO the only time where SLI wasn't silly was for the 8800GT and that was only because it was 95% of a 8800GTX but cost less than half as much.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
PhysX!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

eames posted:

A 1080 costs about $50 more than a 1070 if you're willing to wait for deals (although the stock of everything is weird because of bitscoins), so SLI 1070 is a uniquely bad cost/perf ratio.

Get a 1080, or if you think you need more go 1080ti. SLI sort of makes sense if you have a 1070 and they plunge in price, but I don't think there will be a situation where 2 1070s is less than a 1080.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

I don't think there will be a situation where 2 1070s is less than a 1080.

You can get a 1080Ti for $700, and 1070's were "bottoming out" around $325 or so, so 2x 1070's were barely cheaper that a 1080Ti at their lowest prices, nevermind a sub-$500 1080.

Friends don't let friends SLI 1070's. Or buy 1070's at all right now, for that matter.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

very surprised how stable 1080 and ti prices are atm

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Yeah I figure the 1080 Ti has to be the next target of the miners since the 1060, 1070, 570, and 580 are all wiped out.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

1080 somehow still 450 dollars :shepface:

buttminers lol at your price performance curves!

eames
May 9, 2009

Just to clarify, I'm aware that SLI is generally a bad idea compared to buying a single more powerful card but the cryptominers are buying trunkloads full of 1070s which will they'll have to sell much sooner than they expected.

I feel like the gaming market for 1070s was already pretty saturated because of the relatively bad value. Add a few panic sellers who sunk many thousands of dollars into a "mining operation" that will soon eat power in return for nothing and voilà, there's a chance that used 1070s will go for prices not far from the current 1060-6GB.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
While true, unless they end up dropping to truly fire-sale prices, like $200, I'd think it would be generally not worth bothering with unless you know that the game(s) you want to play are well supported SLI.

And, while there's currently a run on the market for them, I'd be surprised if the popping of the bubble will be as disastrous for 1070 prices as it was for 290's, mostly because a 1070 can still live a very full and useful life as an actual graphics card at this point in time.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

1080 somehow still 450 dollars :shepface:

buttminers lol at your price performance curves!
Something something GDDR5X apparently bad for mining.

Also where are you seeing $450 1080's at?:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I think I just had my first-ever driver-induced bsod, at least on windows 10 :toot: The error code was VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE and I didn't fully catch the program name but it was nvldd-something.

I have a feeling that my system isn't playing nicely with my gsync monitor. Sometimes when I launch or alt-tab from games on it both of my screens go black and I have to reboot the pc. Anyone else see stuff like that after getting a gsync monitor?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

future ghost posted:

Something something GDDR5X apparently bad for mining.

Also where are you seeing $450 1080's at?:

two weeks ago.

i guess the retailers bumped up the price since the 1070s were flying out of shelves

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Are 1080s gonna be any good for mining? Wonder if people will jump straight to 1080tis

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Oops wrong thread

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Are 1080s gonna be any good for mining? Wonder if people will jump straight to 1080tis

Sorta. Depends on what prices do. According to NiceHash's calculator, at 10c/kwh, it works out like this:

580 -> $3.10/day @ $275 purchase = ~76 days for ROI
1070 -> $4.15/day @ $400 purchase = ~90 days for ROI
1080 -> $4.50/day @ $500 purchase = ~95 days for ROI
1080Ti -> $6/day @ $700 purchase = ~95 days for ROI

So in anything but the long term, investing more up-front money into a 1080Ti over a 1080 doesn't make much sense--more risk for the same reward. Same reason why the 1070 was preferred over the 1080, despite the 1080 being faster in absolute terms. But, yeah, the further you go up the performance tree, the longer it'll take to get your earnings back, and the less attractive they look. Especially with a lot of people recognizing that the bubble can't last forever: 3 months looks like an awfully long time...but who knows? No one expected the current run up, either.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

DrDork posted:

Sorta. Depends on what prices do. According to NiceHash's calculator, at 10c/kwh, it works out like this:

580 -> $3.10/day @ $275 purchase = ~76 days for ROI
1070 -> $4.15/day @ $400 purchase = ~90 days for ROI
1080 -> $4.50/day @ $500 purchase = ~95 days for ROI
1080Ti -> $6/day @ $700 purchase = ~95 days for ROI

So in anything but the long term, investing more up-front money into a 1080Ti over a 1080 doesn't make much sense--more risk for the same reward. Same reason why the 1070 was preferred over the 1080, despite the 1080 being faster in absolute terms. But, yeah, the further you go up the performance tree, the longer it'll take to get your earnings back, and the less attractive they look. Especially with a lot of people recognizing that the bubble can't last forever: 3 months looks like an awfully long time...but who knows? No one expected the current run up, either.

On the other hand if you get a 1080ti, mine with it when your not using the pc and cash out every week, even if the market tanks in a month or 2 you have a amazing gpu still for gaming along with a descent chunk of it paid back from buttcoins

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Scarecow posted:

On the other hand if you get a 1080ti, mine with it when your not using the pc and cash out every week, even if the market tanks in a month or 2 you have a amazing gpu still for gaming along with a descent chunk of it paid back from buttcoins

Yeah, it makes sense for people who want to game and then buttcoin on the side. It doesn't make a lot of sense for buttcoiners buying a dozen GPUs to zip-tie to a drying rack. So hopefully it'll mean that the 1080(Ti)s don't get butt-hosed on prices.

Butts.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Please stop mining, the difficulty is getting harder and you're taking precious cents from my monthly budget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Of course, the relative 'stability' of 1080 and 1080Ti prices is at the mercy of someone figuring out how to mod or create an algorithm that properly utilizes GDDR5X, which might very well come when the GDDR5X version of Vega launches.