Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I used to use newshosting on highwinds for years and never had any major problems. Thanks.

E: ah both are highwinds, nevermind. I looked at Free Usenet or something yesterday that claim to use multiple backends. Might grab some Gbs with them and see if they're any good. I mainly automate anyway so dmca not a huge deal for me generally.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I bought 1000TB as backup and the process was a lil scary as it didn't actually show me the price until after I finished the purchase, coupon worked just fine tho.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

Incessant Excess posted:

Some people on reddit say they aren't great but for that price it's hard to argue I suppose.

Yeah a few years ago they had a ;) hard drive failure ;) and lost a bunch of heavy users like me and they claimed they couldn't restore users to their old discounted rates. I still signed back up after that because I'm cheap and they're fast. Now I'm on a $45/year plan still do over 1 TB monthly without a problem.

Some people on reddit said they've been throttled for downloading too much, but I've only had that happen with other Highwinds resellers like MaximumUsenet.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Of course this would pop up two days after I pay my last NewsDemon bill, but oh well. I can double pay one month to save $2 a month forever (until they "lose" my account).

flappin fish
Jul 4, 2005
Usenet Express is offering 500 GB block plans for $7 with coupon SnowInJuly. Anyone have any experience with them?

quote:

https://members.usenetexpress.com/signup/?product_id_page-0[]=9-13&coupon=SnowInJuly

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

flappin fish posted:

Usenet Express is offering 500 GB block plans for $7 with coupon SnowInJuly. Anyone have any experience with them?

It's $2.70 for 500gb today on NewsDemon so this seems like an only alright deal for the time being

Recycled Karma
Jul 16, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Godinster posted:

It's $2.70 for 500gb today on NewsDemon so this seems like an only alright deal for the time being

Unless I'm reading it wrong, that's monthly, not block. A 500 GB block is $14.70 at NewsDemon with the 70% off coupon.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have a NewsDemon monthly account already, any way I can take advantage of this? Do I need to create a new account?

Edit: whatever, just made a new account under another email.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 17, 2017

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

FCKGW posted:

I have a NewsDemon monthly account already, any way I can take advantage of this? Do I need to create a new account?

Edit: whatever, just made a new account under another email.

That's what I did. Be careful if you used paypal for both though. I signed up for the second account first, then canceled my first account, and noticed in the cancellation email that it said paypal users have to cancel their recurring payment through paypal. I did that, and now I'm not sure if it only canceled the original recurring payments, or all recurring payments. Either way, I set up a temporary credit card as a backup just in case.

Barnsey
Apr 19, 2005
Anyone hit me up an invite to a decent indexer?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And here's me thinking the thread title wasn't really relevant anymore.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Barnsey posted:

Anyone hit me up an invite to a decent indexer?

you'll want to beg for invites on reddit, not here...where it specifically says not to

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
I uh... managed to delete my entire TV collection of 10+ years while setting up manually downloaded season packs from Jackett/Transmission to auto-import into Sonarr. Not really sure how it happened, but it had something to do with messing with the Drone Import settings. Anyway, just make sure you're careful and make snapshots before you gently caress around with stuff.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

If it drone imported them, wouldn't it have to dump them out somewhere?

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If it drone imported them, wouldn't it have to dump them out somewhere?

Well, the drone import settings in Sonarr say specifically that it may result in data loss if you use the same name for multiple folders. I didn't do that, but it still seems to have overwritten all of my /TV/* folder with a single series that I was trying to import automatically.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If the data hasn't been overwritten by something else, you can probably recover a good chunk of it. Hate it when stuff like that happens though, insanely frustrating.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

EL BROMANCE posted:

If the data hasn't been overwritten by something else, you can probably recover a good chunk of it. Hate it when stuff like that happens though, insanely frustrating.

I didn't have snapshots set up correctly to recover it. Now I have each of my data containing folders set up as separate datasets, so I can snapshot them individually. Do you have an idea of how I'd recover "deleted" files on FreeNAS? From what I can tell, there's really no way without snapshots.

e: There's still a significant amount of space being taken up on my drives, which is ostensibly from the "deleted" shows. Of course, I can't find them.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah, FreeNAS Is out of my range of knowledge... try asking in the Packrats thread, you won't be the first person to lose a ton of data in FreeNAS so hopefully they can point you in the right direction.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
I am a complete noob in regards to Usenet. Now that I have disposable income of my own, I'm thinking about switching over to Usenet from torrent. I just want to know, is Usenet better than torrent? What benefits does it have over the latter?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Wizgot posted:

I am a complete noob in regards to Usenet. Now that I have disposable income of my own, I'm thinking about switching over to Usenet from torrent. I just want to know, is Usenet better than torrent? What benefits does it have over the latter?

I use both. Usenet is more useful for TV, Torrents for movies. Both Radarr and Sonarr are set up for both protocols for me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pros:
Don't have to share back
Tons of overlap between what's available
Speeds that will generally saturate your line
Nearly 10 years of archiving for lots of groups
Automated tools tend to work best with Usenet, with Torrents as failover

Cons:
Have to pay monthly rate for provider/indexer (depending on your service)
Automated tools generally needed before files are DMCAd these days (depending on what company owns rights)
Not so hot for music or other things dedicated trackers have

Most people mix both worlds and have access to pretty much everything they want.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Matt Zerella posted:

I use both. Usenet is more useful for TV, Torrents for movies. Both Radarr and Sonarr are set up for both protocols for me.
Even if you decide against usenet, switching your torrent stuff to point to automated tools will make your life easier.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Even if you decide against usenet, switching your torrent stuff to point to automated tools will make your life easier.

Yep. I don't even add movies to deluge manually anymore. Sonarr/Radarr all the way.

Fourteen
Aug 15, 2002

No, no, no you imbecile! That's not talc, that's paprika!
So I switched from SickBeard to Sonarr, but NZBGet is still sending files to SickBeard. How do I make it stop that and use Sonarr instead?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Fourteen posted:

So I switched from SickBeard to Sonarr, but NZBGet is still sending files to SickBeard. How do I make it stop that and use Sonarr instead?

You might have post-processing scripts still turned on in NZBGet. You can remove them and let Sonarr do all the post-processing itself.

Fourteen
Aug 15, 2002

No, no, no you imbecile! That's not talc, that's paprika!
So I just delete NZBtoSickBeard.py from the Extension Scripts > Script Order section?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Fourteen posted:

So I just delete NZBtoSickBeard.py from the Extension Scripts > Script Order section?

Yep. You don't need them. Sonarr can handle all the stuff for you provided you went through the options.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Speaking of. Anyone have a way for new movies to show up in radar that's same? I'd like to just add a RSS feed of new releases, have it show up on the calendar and then monitor what I want it to snatch. Instead I added the IMDb new releases RSS feed and occasionally have to sort all movies by date add to monitor poo poo.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Hughlander posted:

Speaking of. Anyone have a way for new movies to show up in radar that's same? I'd like to just add a RSS feed of new releases, have it show up on the calendar and then monitor what I want it to snatch. Instead I added the IMDb new releases RSS feed and occasionally have to sort all movies by date add to monitor poo poo.

That's kind of built in now when you go to add a movie you have Popular, Recommended, and Upcoming sections. No calendar stuff tho.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Any compelling reason why I should move my normal windows installs (sonarr, sab etc) over to dockers, now I've seen docker for windows is a thing?

vvv Thats that sorted then! Thanks.

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 20, 2017

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
No, unless you have some desire to make things more complicated for no reason.

Edit for more content: If you were running a server, it might be worth it. Just stuffing something inside Docker for the sake of using Docker is not worth it.

porksmash fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 20, 2017

nuvan
Mar 29, 2008

And the gentle call of the feral 3am "Everything is going so well you can't help but panic."

MeKeV posted:

Any compelling reason why I should move my normal windows installs (sonarr, sab etc) over to dockers, now I've seen docker for windows is a thing?

And I have a compelling (albeit anecdotal) reason NOT to:

I tried to do exactly this, but docker-for-windows kept being unable to share my local disks as volumes into the docker images. This meant that every time I restarted any of the services I lost their configs and had to set them up all over again.

Oh, and stuff that was downloaded never ended up in my storage folders, and was lost forever. That was a problem too.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Greatest Living Man posted:

I uh... managed to delete my entire TV collection of 10+ years while setting up manually downloaded season packs from Jackett/Transmission to auto-import into Sonarr. Not really sure how it happened, but it had something to do with messing with the Drone Import settings. Anyway, just make sure you're careful and make snapshots before you gently caress around with stuff.

Really sorry to hear that. I've accidentally deleted some files over the years and know that "oh.. crap" feeling.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Violator posted:

Really sorry to hear that. I've accidentally deleted some files over the years and know that "oh.. crap" feeling.

I did exactly this while attempting to remove a file the root/OS directory on my NAS last week, rm -rf * ....oh jeez :v:

thankfully it anticipated my stupidity and checks the directory on startup and replaces the files from flash memory if they are missing with no loss of data

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005
Is there a way to do preferred words for releases in Sonarr? The best option I've found for backfilling old releases is to temporarily add the tag "obfuscated" to a series (dramatically increases chance download succeeds), but for new releases, I don't need to wait for an obfuscated release (so I'll remove the tag once fully backfilled).

It would be nice if there was a way to make "obfuscated" a preferred, but not required, word.

And with all these obfuscated/scrambled releases and the supposed relationships between posters and indexers, are there now "premiere" indexers?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
How does Sonarr handle missed episodes?

I've been away for a week and a few things have aired while i've been out. They're listed in the wanted tab but don't appear to be doing anything and the only message is 'Epsiode missing from disk'.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Kin posted:

How does Sonarr handle missed episodes?

I've been away for a week and a few things have aired while i've been out. They're listed in the wanted tab but don't appear to be doing anything and the only message is 'Epsiode missing from disk'.

It does it automatically generally but you can do a manual or automatic search. Though if something got popped from a DMCA takedown, it might not be available and you'll have to find another source or have a backup newsgroup service on a different provider (not reseller) separate from what you're currently using.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

MrCodeDude posted:

Is there a way to do preferred words for releases in Sonarr? The best option I've found for backfilling old releases is to temporarily add the tag "obfuscated" to a series (dramatically increases chance download succeeds), but for new releases, I don't need to wait for an obfuscated release (so I'll remove the tag once fully backfilled).

It would be nice if there was a way to make "obfuscated" a preferred, but not required, word.

And with all these obfuscated/scrambled releases and the supposed relationships between posters and indexers, are there now "premiere" indexers?

Afaik there is this option? It's for preferring releases from select groups, but you could put obfuscated in there and it would serve the same purpose.

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005

Greatest Living Man posted:

Afaik there is this option? It's for preferring releases from select groups, but you could put obfuscated in there and it would serve the same purpose.

Looks like it's a low-priority feature request that won't be addressed until Sonarr 3.x versions: https://github.com/Sonarr/Sonarr/milestone/1

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

MrCodeDude posted:

Looks like it's a low-priority feature request that won't be addressed until Sonarr 3.x versions: https://github.com/Sonarr/Sonarr/milestone/1

:smith:

Ah my bad. I think this was actually a couch potato feature?