Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Bruceski posted:

What the Christ?

Exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy poo poo :stare:

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I can't hate that ad

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I kinda like that.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I thought that was crypto-advertising for American Horror Story.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The other day on ESPN I saw some "kids are so fat these days" PSA where the kid was playing Super Nintendo and using a flip phone. Kids can't possibly be as lazy as whoever made this commercial.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

ElwoodCuse posted:

The other day on ESPN I saw some "kids are so fat these days" PSA where the kid was playing Super Nintendo and using a flip phone. Kids can't possibly be as lazy as whoever made this commercial.

Was he also mashing every button constantly?

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Pontius Pilate posted:

Was he also mashing every button constantly?

Did it sound like he was playing the Atari 2600 version of Pac-Man?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

rockinricky posted:

Did it sound like he was playing the Atari 2600 version of Pac-Man?

Alternately: 2600 Donkey Kong?

Why were those two games the standard go-to for "vidgam noises" anyway? I feel like I still heard them used as recently as last decade.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

raditts posted:

Alternately: 2600 Donkey Kong?

Why were those two games the standard go-to for "vidgam noises" anyway? I feel like I still heard them used as recently as last decade.

I can't find any quick confirmation for this but what I was told years ago was that while the Namco and Nintendo still owned the characters Atari retained the rights to the look and sound of the 2600 games. So after the crash, and their exit from the console market, they were willing to licence the sounds out for next to nothing. This also led them to be included in many inexpensive sound archives.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Glazier posted:

I can't find any quick confirmation for this but what I was told years ago was that while the Namco and Nintendo still owned the characters Atari retained the rights to the look and sound of the 2600 games. So after the crash, and their exit from the console market, they were willing to licence the sounds out for next to nothing. This also led them to be included in many inexpensive sound archives.

Still though, modern video games sound nothing like that yet, I know I've also heard them recently.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Iron Crowned posted:

Still though, modern video games sound nothing like that yet, I know I've also heard them recently.

True, but you still understood that they were supposed to be playing a video game, and they didn’t have to spend $15000 plus X number of seconds product placement on the sound. Also they probably won’t have to change it after the limited license they were able to get for that that $15000 runs out.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

When I am king I will ban the production of advertisements for local auto-dealers.

They always have the shittiest gimmicks, think putting themselves or their kids in the video is cool, and they are all the same.

Make sure you stay for the worst voice over /sound bite in Bob's commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a1-HqWKJlI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHKMblGcoIM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnaNEwRmfw0

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

Did someone say car dealer ads :unsmigghh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAQ6h6RdqIc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npKhzI78nnw

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Iron Crowned posted:

Modern video games don't instantly sound like video games, though. They sound like regular old sound effects. Using old Atari and arcade sounds makes them immediately identifiable as video games.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SpacePig posted:

Modern video games don't instantly sound like video games, though. They sound like regular old sound effects. Using old Atari and arcade sounds makes them immediately identifiable as video games.

I guess it's for olds who call everything an "Intendo." Five minutes with a foley artist and a generic controller will get the point across.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Beastie posted:

When I am king I will ban the production of advertisements for local auto-dealers.

They always have the shittiest gimmicks, think putting themselves or their kids in the video is cool, and they are all the same.

Make sure you stay for the worst voice over /sound bite in Bob's commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a1-HqWKJlI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHKMblGcoIM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnaNEwRmfw0

Dunno why, but any local ad for Bob Rohrman I see on Comcast is just the fake 'boopers" one that is beyond unfunny.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SpacePig posted:

There's now an entire generation, arguably two, that have no frame of reference for video games that sounded like that, though.

There are people in their twenties that are younger than the PS1 and N64, for chrissake. :corsair:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

raditts posted:

There's now an entire generation, arguably two, that have no frame of reference for video games that sounded like that, though.

There are people in their twenties that are younger than the PS1 and N64, for chrissake. :corsair:

The reference itself has become self-perpetuating, like making the hand-crank motion for filming something. That was old technology when our grandparents were in high school.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

raditts posted:

It would be better if it was just random gun shots and explosions.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

McSpanky posted:

The reference itself has become self-perpetuating, like making the hand-crank motion for filming something. That was old technology when our grandparents were in high school.

The save icon will be a 3.5" floppy UNTIL THE END OF TIME.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Sash! posted:

The save icon will be a 3.5" floppy UNTIL THE END OF TIME.

*record scratch*

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Rirse posted:

Dunno why, but any local ad for Bob Rohrman I see on Comcast is just the fake 'boopers" one that is beyond unfunny.

Ugh, I loving HATE those radio commercials. I hear them when I listen to Cubs games.

"Bob ROHHHHHHHRRRRmannnnnnnn"

:fuckoff:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

TontoCorazon posted:

It would be better if it was just random gun shots and explosions.

Go the other way - make an "As seen on TV" mod for Steam games that replaces all the sound effects with Atari beeps and boops. :3:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

That first one is just a straight rip off of another car commercial.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wonder if any of the local ones tried to do a more PG version of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBs455jwb8w

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I kinda hope someone went insane and just straight did that

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I've been listening to "Everybody wants to rule the world" as some form of audio therapy lately.

And the cover of I just heard on a Macy's commercial made me want to cut off my ears....good loving night. I hope Roland Orzabal and Curt Smith are getting a lot of cash for having a song like their's brutally murdered.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

I've been listening to "Everybody wants to rule the world" as some form of audio therapy lately.

And the cover of I just heard on a Macy's commercial made me want to cut off my ears....good loving night. I hope Roland Orzabal and Curt Smith are getting a lot of cash for having a song like their's brutally murdered.

Allow me to cleanse your palette:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6QOr-oCTwU

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Please stop making Progressive commercials. The box and Flo and Jamie are all...just, just awful.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Cup of Hemlock posted:

Please stop making Progressive commercials. The box and Flo and Jamie are all...just, just awful.

Counterpoint: They are a lot better than the "Take old song, either slow it down with a piano or speed it up with kids, slap it over generic montage, repeat" that is every other commercial.

EDIT: Like the Progressive commercial where they have their generic competitor guys questioning their existence is funny. The "Flo's family" ones are pretty bad though, I'll give you that.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 18, 2017

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Hey, I finally made it to the end of the thread! So here's an ad I hate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zho81tTlyEI

This annoying motherfucker stops in the middle of the road and blocks traffic because he just has to sing along with his favorite song on the loving radio. And he's got kids in the car! What an rear end in a top hat.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Those Deal Dash ads with the women talking about they won are rough to the point I really feel bad for those women.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mooseontheloose posted:

Those Deal Dash ads with the women talking about they won are rough to the point I really feel bad for those women.

They also don't mention how the website works and how it is a crazy bad deal. Unlike eBay it costs money to place bids on items so the "total" doesn't include how much that cost them.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Just wait, they'll vanish after somebody accuses them of false advertising and come back again as Beezid or Quibids or one of their other numerous names.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Now that you mention it, I haven't seen a commercial for Beezid or any other penny auction site in a long, long time. Probably at least a year. And I watch a ton of TV.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

They're basically gambling sites. It costs money to bid and if you don't win the item, you aren't refunded

Terms and Conditions posted:

The following statement is very important for any customer or potential customer of DealDash to read and fully understand before using the service:

By registering and using DealDash you understand that you are likely to spend more money than you may receive in merchandise value. Most customers using the site gain less in merchandise value measured in monetary value compared to the amount of money spent bidding to win auctions. Do not buy bids or spend money on the site if you cannot afford to lose the money. . .

DealDash is convinced that the entertainment value of participating in its auctions is valued and that paying a premium price for this entertainment value compared to shopping at the lowest priced retailer is fair. We do however strive to give as much merchandise value back to our users as we possibly can while maintaining healthy gross margins. Most customers will not win auctions and you are on average unlikely to save money using the Site. . . By using the Service you understand and agree to this statement.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
On one hand it's hilarious that they admit that. On the other who ever reads that poo poo. :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh yeah i'm sure nobody ever does. That's just some 2 point font rear end-covering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
There's a radio commercial for a local Detroit place called Bucharest Grill and I swear they must say "Shawarma" 10 times over the course of that ad.