Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max
Nov 30, 2002

The Lord of Hats posted:

Nope!

Best guess right now is the Little Mac just did a dumbass anti-town thing.

Yeah uh, which anti-town thing did he do?

I know I was going after him for the way he blew up at bif earlier, but if you all find him going "boy I was confused by my role PM" when many others already had, that's a bad reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

gif Probst posted:

i am home.

i dont like the small mack vote. i dont like a lot of the reasons for it. i dont think a person (re: eight dollar) asking a lot of questions on d1 is inherently scummy.

i think bringing up other games d1 for any kind of justification of player read is dumb and does not help people who were not participants of said game, they are forced to go back and read that poo poo which lets be real nobody has time for.

i still like where my vote is, i am also comfortable voting for peramene or king burgundy today. i don't read enough to vote for anybody else.

So from what I can tell, you want to vote me for making your life harder. This has nothing to do with looking for scum and seems like it's coming from a place of scum mind to me.

##vote gif Probst

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I really want to hear why he thinks you would be a good vote today.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Murmur Twin posted:

Mith is starting to ping me

The fact that he quantified his reads as "slightly intoxicated" pinged me as slightly scummily self-consciousness. That by itself wouldn't bother me, but he then follows it up with town reads and cases on lurkers which are both things that I usually attribute to scum (because they're easy to make).

I agree with this. He shortly thereafter threw a bit of shade at Somber and Glowku, but I can't even tell if he thinks they are scum or just doesn't like how disengaged they are.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Mithross posted:

I don't like glowku, he hasn't really played the game at all yet. Somber basically hasn't engaged either. We're far enough past the end of jokephase to have content to discuss. There isn't a ton, but it's enough to get started.

this game has been open for 32 hours and i was hosting out of town guests up until today. usually i can sneak in some mafia time at work but i'm training someone this week.

if there's enough content to do some serious work, why are you doing a lurker callout?

catching up now.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Birdstrike posted:

I am also considering voting 8bux for asking so many, many questions.

Normally I like linking to specific posts but I don't want to break windows so go nuts kids.

can you cite one or two specific posts there that bother you?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Bifauxnen posted:

I don't like him sucking up to me, but I like that he independently voted Hats for decent reasons.

I might have been reading his posts agreeing with me too generously though, from thinking he had twigged on to my flavor angle. But for now I'm not seeing him as scummy as you are. His participating at all makes me see him as more likely town too.

i know this was a forced read but i don't like how noncommittal it is.

i don't like THIS action but i do like THIS action

this COULD be scummy but maybe it ISN'T.

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Pretty pictures in small frames

Max posted:

Do we know they already had the info?

We don't but either way I don't see it being in any way scummy. If scum didn't know, then there you go. If scum did know then they aren't going to draw so much attention towards themselves. I think they'd be more likely to do the "oh I thought I was 3p too" and just leave it be.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The Lord of Hats posted:

Nope!

Best guess right now is the Little Mac just did a dumbass anti-town thing.

There's like a 2% chance scum didn't start with a town fakeclaim.

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

peramene posted:

Flavor matters, Mac hosed up, doesn't want to see why, that's good enough for me on d1. We now return you to your tail-feather posturing already in progress.

But how is that scummy versus just stupid? Where do you see the scumness of it all?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

King Burgundy posted:

So from what I can tell, you want to vote me for making your life harder. This has nothing to do with looking for scum and seems like it's coming from a place of scum mind to me.

##vote gif Probst

tbh i find 'oh look what i did in THIS game' to be insanely aggravating

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

but voting probst is fine by me regardless, almost policy voted him earlier but then stuff actually happened on d1

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
Someone read over pera's last post and explain to me how her read on Mac can possibly be genuine?

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

The Ninth Layer posted:

There's like a 2% chance scum didn't start with a town fakeclaim.

Where's this coming from?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Captain Foo posted:

And it still wouldn't be scummy. :)

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

:pcgaming: :pcgaming: :pcgaming:

Captain Foo posted:

##vote glowku

shows up fairly promptly after being called out for not being around, says it's because he doesn't want to 'muddy the waters" which...isn't town-aligned reasoning? in addition he votes jeabus who i read as not-scum, and glowku votes for jeabus with what amounts to a jokevote while saying he's not going to jokevote

it's the worst of all worlds, if you're gonna be the kind of scrub that refuses to play d1...don't play d1. also don't sign up for mafia.

Shut up nerd lol. QQ joke phase never ends

Captain Foo posted:

This I can agree with.

I don't really like peramene 's case on Mac, and am not convinced he's actually scum. I don't think that makes pera scum so I think the counter vote that harshly is a bit hasty.

Still voting for jeabus

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Murmur Twin posted:

Someone read over pera's last post and explain to me how her read on Mac can possibly be genuine?

Yeah, I was holding off responding to see how she reacts, but I also think pera is looking like scum.

FWIW, she didn't say this, but the possibility you leave out is that Little Mac was trying to look towny by proving that he knew the name. But that isn't the explanation pera offered. With that explanation it looks like she wants to vote LM for being dumb, not scum.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Max posted:

Yeah uh, which anti-town thing did he do?

I know I was going after him for the way he blew up at bif earlier, but if you all find him going "boy I was confused by my role PM" when many others already had, that's a bad reason.

Not the bif thing, or the confusion (I mean, I was in the same boat), but just sharing information that we don't *know* that the scum had seems pretty dumb to me. Anti-town is definitely overstating my case, and as has been pointed out it's possible that they *did* have it, but I just don't like it.

Although, now this has me running through scenarios, if scum *did* have it from the start, we're probably better off now than we were before it was out in the open.

Eight Dollars posted:

But how is that scummy versus just stupid? Where do you see the scumness of it all?

peramene posted:

ayy yo news flash, I am not at all looking for scum, it is day 1 and I am useless day 1 except for "policy votes" I guess

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

So Quid thoughts.

The one thing I think is weird in the Quid/MMT thing is how hard Quid keeps pushing that he hasn't been following the original Hats interaction.

Quidthulhu posted:

But full disclosure, I haven't had time to read the initial interaction that everyone's talking about, so I'm looking more at how people are discussing it than the actual event. In that regards, I think you're being genuine.

quote:

I've already said that I haven't really reviewed all the N0 setup spec stuff and have been looking more at what people are saying about it / each other because I think that's more useful. You are picking some Hats quotes that are before the delineation I posted of my suspicion.

It's odd because he's addressing MMT's argument, but not actually talking about what MMT is asking him for. Like why not just go back and say, "I don't find that that scummy" or "I agree with X" instead of avoiding talking about it at all? It's not like it would take a lot, since he's said he's paid attention to the aftermath.

Yeah, but she's dropped another vote on him, and her argument isn't even "this guy could be scum." It's just "this guy did something that is anti-town" for reasons. Like this stuff:

quote:

I stand by my standing vote, and the fountainhead of my read is that assuming scum has a vanilla PM and explicitly starting the flavor of town alignment is playing against that alignment, intentionally or not. Refusal to see that, I don't care why, is just about as scummy as I can comfortably day say anyone gets d1. If he's town, per his own admission, who gives a poo poo?

Reads more like trying to find a reason to justify the vote.

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Considering the other part of the read is also based on a meaningless jokepost, Birdstrike fished real hard for that and I'm super suspicious of anyone who said that it was a good read, Asiina especially

Why do you suspect Asiina the most of the bunch?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Murmur Twin posted:

Phoneposting.

Ok so you could have just said "no" when I asked if Hats' n0 stuff affected your read. The fact that your reaction to being suspicious of him was to ask him if he's scum instead of casing him doesn't feel town at all to me but we can agree to disagree.

Instead, you got super defensive and tried to throw shade on me for the way I constructed the case (by combining quotes in single boxes, something I've been doing forever now). So for a third time I ask - when you posted the thing about "why'd you emptyquote my case?", what made you say that? How is how I cased you different from how I normally case people?

I am not trying to throw shade on you, I am continuing to point out that you are nitpicking and asking questions that don't jive with...anything that's important? I would have thought you would have dismissed this whole thing as "ok so clearly we misunderstood each other" but the fact that you're continuing to push this narrative of my faking content here when I've clearly laid out for you my thought process three times....I think it's you who's faking content, MMT.

##vote MMT

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

##vote glowku

shows up fairly promptly after being called out for not being around, says it's because he doesn't want to 'muddy the waters" which...isn't town-aligned reasoning? in addition he votes jeabus who i read as not-scum, and glowku votes for jeabus with what amounts to a jokevote while saying he's not going to jokevote

it's the worst of all worlds, if you're gonna be the kind of scrub that refuses to play d1...don't play d1. also don't sign up for mafia.

I like this case. I feel the same way about TMM from before.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

##vote peramene

This feels logically flawed in a way I wouldn't expect from town peramene. If Mac is scum, then broadcasting that information didn't hurt anyone because it means that scum already had that information. The only way that broadcasting the information would be bad is if Mac were town, but then it doesn't make any sense to vote for him for it.

Thiiiiis doesn't feel like a logical leap for town. I read peramene's post and went "yeah that's a good point, keep info to the chest" not "well but if SCUM ALREADY KNEW THAT"

Also, we've had multiple scum factions in these games before, so he could still be clueing in a group that is not on HIS scumteam.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

tpink posted:

Where's this coming from?

Scum almost always get the town win condition. Last time I played in a Pod game I was scum and got a full fake claim. The odds of scum not having known from the beginning town were "vengeance aligned" is pretty low and I think it's dumb to hold revealing that against Little Mac.

Also it makes no sense to think Little Mac is scummy for revealing something that scum didn't know about.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Eight Dollars posted:

So Quid thoughts.

The one thing I think is weird in the Quid/MMT thing is how hard Quid keeps pushing that he hasn't been following the original Hats interaction.

It's odd because he's addressing MMT's argument, but not actually talking about what MMT is asking him for. Like why not just go back and say, "I don't find that that scummy" or "I agree with X" instead of avoiding talking about it at all? It's not like it would take a lot, since he's said he's paid attention to the aftermath.

Yeah, but she's dropped another vote on him, and her argument isn't even "this guy could be scum." It's just "this guy did something that is anti-town" for reasons. Like this stuff:

Reads more like trying to find a reason to justify the vote.

Initially I was phone posting and didn't feel like going back to it, and then I got lazy once I had committed to analyzing responses rather than the initial thing. Now that MMT insists on harping on me not commenting on poo poo before I was engaged, I am not reviewing it out of stubborness :colbert:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Too many people are talking about Little Mac's initial slipup, which could be town or scum, yes. But a lot of people seem to be willfully ignoring his RESPONSE, which I think is scummier than the initial thing (I still havent read :v: ).

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

Little Mac posted:

I honestly thought I was 3P until I PMed Podima just now.

:same:

Eight Dollars posted:

Why do you suspect Asiina the most of the bunch?

At the time I posted that, it was her posturing about whether or not I was a newbie before "gloves came off" that seemed like some attempt to get goodwill

Max didn't say too much, and Bif's comes off as more of a pressure thing on a reread. Bird's was a jokevote initially, and I don't know about Glowku

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Also I'm heading out for a few hours. Back in a bit!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I totally forgot Asiina was in this game. She's also acting weird.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Quidthulhu posted:

Ehhh, I really dislike that MMT case on me because I think it's fairly lazy to put two completely separate posts together and present them as if they were on top of each other.

It's also weird that you voted for me and then empty quoted my opinion to express your own ideas on the matter. Where am I scum in there, Murmur?

---

but the fact that you're continuing to push this narrative of my faking content here when I've clearly laid out for you my thought process three times....I think it's you who's faking content, MMT.

##vote MMT

I'm just going to keep asking you this until you address it - what was your thought process behind the bolded statements above? How is my play this game different from other games you've seen me play as town?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

peramene posted:

Flavor matters, Mac hosed up, doesn't want to see why, that's good enough for me on d1.

Quidthulhu posted:

Thiiiiis doesn't feel like a logical leap for town. I read peramene's post and went "yeah that's a good point, keep info to the chest" not "well but if SCUM ALREADY KNEW THAT"

Also, we've had multiple scum factions in these games before, so he could still be clueing in a group that is not on HIS scumteam.

If Mac is scum, then he didn't gently caress up. All he did was share info that everyone already knew. If Mac hosed up, then he's town. But then it doesn't make sense to vote for him.

pera voting for Mac doesn't align with a logical thought process. It's a fake case.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

You took two quotes from separate parts of the discussion and slammed them together as if you were truncating a single post. When you present it like that, it does look weird, but it completely ignores the fact that both Hats and other people commented on my first statement & Hats actions before I made the second statement. Again, I already answered this question for you:

Quidthulhu posted:

Ehhh, I really dislike that MMT case on me because I think it's fairly lazy to put two completely separate posts together and present them as if they were on top of each other. I called out Hats, then he responded at which point I further said "Hmm, not sure I like how you are reacting to this, are you new scum?"

And as a result I got a lot of information about how I shouldn't be dismissing him as newbie scum. That makes his hemming and hawing look a lot worse to me.

So MMT, why did you present those as being basically the same post? It's not a very strong case if you remember that he, you know, said poo poo in between., ad it
Worse than MMT pushing that case is Hal "me tooing" it as if it is a good case. That looks REAL lazy.

Why are you harping on things that a. I've already answered and b. I can't see how they matter? Why is this important for me to restate, MMT?

I think your play is different this game because rather than thoughtfully going through people's post histories and building cases out of their words you're opportunistically jumping at poo poo as it happens and trying to poke holes in semantics. You're basically shooting at the ground a lot to make everyone dance uncomfortably. That's not very town, and it's not very YOU.

Also, you have not answered my question which you bolded - why did you choose to present my argument as if it were the same post, ignoring everyone else's content in between?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

If Mac is scum, then he didn't gently caress up. All he did was share info that everyone already knew. If Mac hosed up, then he's town. But then it doesn't make sense to vote for him.

pera voting for Mac doesn't align with a logical thought process. It's a fake case.

Town wouldn't know scum already knew the information. The fact that you are insisting Mac would have known scum knew that and this is a natural logical leap? Susp.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Quidthulhu posted:

Too many people are talking about Little Mac's initial slipup, which could be town or scum, yes. But a lot of people seem to be willfully ignoring his RESPONSE, which I think is scummier than the initial thing (I still havent read :v: ).

Yeah this was the reason I voted him, I didn't realize people thought his "slip up" was scummy because that's kinda dumb

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Quidthulhu posted:

I am not trying to throw shade on you, I am continuing to point out that you are nitpicking and asking questions that don't jive with...anything that's important? I would have thought you would have dismissed this whole thing as "ok so clearly we misunderstood each other" but the fact that you're continuing to push this narrative of my faking content here when I've clearly laid out for you my thought process three times....I think it's you who's faking content, MMT.

##vote MMT

This vote sucks massively.

##vote Quid

This whole case boils down to "I don't think MMT would do any of this, and they're doing this, so they're probably scum.

Also an OMGUS on faking content??

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Quidthulhu posted:

I think your play is different this game because rather than thoughtfully going through people's post histories and building cases out of their words you're opportunistically jumping at poo poo as it happens and trying to poke holes in semantics. You're basically shooting at the ground a lot to make everyone dance uncomfortably. That's not very town, and it's not very YOU.

drat Murmur Twin, you're not playing this game the way Quid exactly expected you to, sorry about rolling scum :/

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

See a BETTER case MMT could make is that I'm riding both sides of the fence right now. I am at the same time saying "yes pera little mac's slipup does look like scum" and reinforcing that idea in response to her above, while subsequently saying "people focusing on little mac as scum for this slipup are missing the point, his REACTION is more important [and I haven't read the initial slipup].")

But she's not. She hasn't really made a case on me except....I am not answering her questions how she likes? Like, what is the actual case on me, she and now Sandwolf both are dropping "faking content" but prove it? Where am I doing that?

If I'm casing myself better than you are then who's faking content :allears:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

drat Murmur Twin, you're not playing this game the way Quid exactly expected you to, sorry about rolling scum :/

Maybe contribute a case instead of coattailing on to a lovely one and snidely being a jerk about people playing mafia

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Quidthulhu posted:

Maybe contribute a case instead of coattailing on to a lovely one and snidely being a jerk about people playing mafia

It was just a joke, relax.

I don't feel that my vote gains merit by filling a post with quotes and bolder print. I find you to be floundering and playing like you're trying to act confident, but you seem like you're nervous just under the surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

tpink posted:

What's up useless D1 buddy :gbsmith:

clap clap

t and pera in the mooorning

Little Mac posted:

we all noticed

smooches doll face, no hate, you tripped, it's aight, address it or I gotta suppress it, no hate

Murmur Twin posted:

logically flawed
town peramene.

If Mac is scum, then broadcasting that information didn't hurt anyone because it means that scum already had that information.

girl, read my post, nothing in this game supports this, and it's scum af to take advantage of these kinds of assumptions - I just watched bif weave her way through an insane web of lies that destabilized everyone else, we're in a game that based on what I've heard defined innovation in this regard soooooooooooo.

[quote="Murmur Twin" post="475188580"]
The only way that broadcasting the information would be bad is if Mac were town, but then it doesn't make any sense to vote for him for it.

Max posted:

Do we know they already had the info?

NO, folks just think so based on past experience which is a bad idea!!! And trying to harsh my groove for saying so is rude af imo

Eight Dollars posted:

The shut down and attitude are - hmm - scum-like? Troubling? Problematic? (everybody drink)

That's really the best I anticipate getting out of d1. If something better pops up, I'm amenable, and I certainly wouldn't be holding my ground at the cost of a lynch (with one obvious exception)

Murmur Twin posted:

the difference between "fake" and "bad" here is pretty telling imo but of course I feel that way, it's my super serious first ever day one case (that I can recall anyway)

tldr I came out to play Mafia and honestly I feel so attacked right now

• Locked thread