Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

DalaranJ posted:

Kingdom Battle thread should be up tonight. If I can determine the proper level of XCOM jokes for the OP, that is.

There is no limit there bud so shoot for the stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Microsoft, gently caress! What is this Paint 3D garbage? I just want to resize this image!

They must have known I was working on a Nintendo thread. Xboned again!

e: Okay, I figured it out. It's just an extra click harder than resize canvas. Great UX guys.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 17, 2017

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

DalaranJ posted:

Microsoft, gently caress! What is this Paint 3D garbage? I just want to resize this image!

They must have known I was working on a Nintendo thread. Xboned again!

Become friends with Paint.net (install from ninite)

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Manky posted:

Become friends with Paint.net (install from ninite)

I probably already have GIMP on here, it's the principle of the thing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

DalaranJ posted:

Kingdom Battle thread should be up tonight. If I can determine the proper level of XCOM jokes for the OP, that is.

I mean this is the header image right

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

The crazy "one"

(Thanks for the image)

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 17, 2017

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I mean this is the header image right

Am I the only one who sees the Peach Rabbid as a male crossdresser with a five o' clock shadow?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Mister Facetious posted:

Am I the only one who sees the Peach Rabbid as a male crossdresser with a five o' clock shadow?

Not anymore.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Has anyone else had problems with the Home button when playing Sonic Mania? It seems to either take a really long time to go back to the home menu or just straight up not work for me.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

aware of dog posted:

Has anyone else had problems with the Home button when playing Sonic Mania? It seems to either take a really long time to go back to the home menu or just straight up not work for me.

It's a weird known issue, yah

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Zelder posted:

Ah okay. It's a small issue but kind of frustrating, and it's such a great game otherwise.

Except I forgot that sonic controls like absolute rear end in water :argh:

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Zelder posted:

I heard something about Sonic Mania having some framerate hiccups on Switch in the special stages, is that a thing? I'm dying to buy this game on Switch now.

Speaking of which I just got my Switch today with BotW, and goddamn do I love this thing already. I do most of my gaming on 3DS and Vita so having a handheld that can transform into a console when my wife's not on the TV is just perfect for me. And BotW hooked me instantly, played for like 5 hours today and whenever I wasn't playing it I was thinking about playing it. Exploring just feels fabulous in this game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

thorsilver posted:

I heard something about Sonic Mania having some framerate hiccups on Switch in the special stages, is that a thing? I'm dying to buy this game on Switch now.

Speaking of which I just got my Switch today with BotW, and goddamn do I love this thing already. I do most of my gaming on 3DS and Vita so having a handheld that can transform into a console when my wife's not on the TV is just perfect for me. And BotW hooked me instantly, played for like 5 hours today and whenever I wasn't playing it I was thinking about playing it. Exploring just feels fabulous in this game.

DF says the 3d special stages lose about 10-15 fps

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Real hurthling! posted:

25 years later, still Nintendon't :(

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Zelder posted:

I ploished in Lave Reef Zone. I fell through the floor and got stuck and couldn't do anything. I had to wait for the 10-minute timer to run out so I could start from my last checkpoint, because I didn't want to have to do the whole dang level again.

That's the only issue I've had, though. Game is amazing! I managed to get another Emerald, but I still suck at getting them. I'm not going to get the good ending. I have to be running out of levels by now. I think I've done 12, or nearly that many?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
They should have utilized the MODE SEVEN capabilities the Switch offers for maximum efficiency.

A game that includes blast processing and Mode 7 in one package.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

I think that makes it better?

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Real hurthling! posted:

Oh that's it?? Cool I can cope with that. I thought people meant it was dropping to like 10 FPS or something :v:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

thorsilver posted:

Oh that's it?? Cool I can cope with that. I thought people meant it was dropping to like 10 FPS or something :v:

Nah

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mister Facetious posted:

I've never not seen it this way. It makes the absurdity even better tbh.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

I've never not seen it this way. It makes the absurdity even better tbh.

http://youtu.be/iwV61t_Tec8?t=40s

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Strap in. It's gonna be a sassy, no filter ride.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3830699

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Nephzinho posted:

I think that makes it better?

I know, right? I can't stop giggling when I look at him/her. Especially with that "selfie smirk" it has going on. :bigtran:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

thorsilver posted:

I honestly only noticed frame drops on the first special stage. Most of the other ones seem fine.

I really like Sonic Mania but I wish there were more zones since some of the remixed ones barely feel remixed even in their second acts. I do love the attention to detail though with including tons of poo poo that were cut from the old games like Splats.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 17, 2017

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
its really great that a good game finally came out after launch month on the nintendo switch i love my sonic mania

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i've got an 8bitdo controller ready to roll and about $25 to spend on the nintendo eshop

what should i blow it on?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sonic Mania

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Sonic Mania

i'm torn between this, GoNNER and Slime-San

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

did anyone suggest sonic mania

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Multiple copies of Neo geo golf

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING

Skipopatomus posted:

Kamiko is cute and fun for $5 and each character has a different attack style so there's some replayability but not much. I've been wanting to try thumper since I first saw the trailer but I'm afraid I'll suck at it.

Wonderboy looks like a terrific example of diff characters with diff attack styles and considering the retro mode and modern painted mode has all kinds of replay ability from what I can tell. It costs more than 5 dollars but its still pretty cheap. Do any of you have it yet? I am curious what people think of the game here. I agree about Thumper because I hear it is indeed hard.

For the $25 in the eShop, are you wanting a solo experience, couch co-op, online play or maybe all 3?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wonderboy is cool but outside of an auto save and a new coat of paint it still plays like a Master System game from 1988, albeit a really good one, and you gotta take that into account.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Wonder boy is great fun if you like old school platform games that don't give you great direction and unforgiving mechanics.

It's great.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

alf_pogs posted:

i've got an 8bitdo controller ready to roll and about $25 to spend on the nintendo eshop

what should i blow it on?

Shovel Knight is the best value of anything nearly on the eShop.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

alf_pogs posted:

i'm torn between this, GoNNER and Slime-San

I loving love Slime-san. It's Super Meat Boy if it were more forgiving, less patient, and had an insane amount of content. Fantastic pick-up-and-play game. Highly recommend it.

All the other games are pretty drat good too, of course.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

thanks for the tips all. i already have wonderboy and kamiko, and have finished both of em. the shovel knight treasure trove is probably going to be the go-er

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Another fantastic choice. Shovel Knight is loving great.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I've been wanting to play shovel knight for years and finally picked up the treasure trove the day I bought my switch. It's fantastic. Pretty much a must-buy if you haven't played SK before.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

rogue wave posted:

Wonderboy looks like a terrific example of diff characters with diff attack styles and considering the retro mode and modern painted mode has all kinds of replay ability from what I can tell.

It really doesn't. It's more a metroidvania both in "there's one meant for any given situation" and "you unlock them incrementally over time". It's not bad per se, and the art style is great, but if it weren't for the art it'd be a $25 game gear-era virtual console entry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

alf_pogs posted:

thanks for the tips all. i already have wonderboy and kamiko, and have finished both of em. the shovel knight treasure trove is probably going to be the go-er

Smart. I recommend playing Shovel Of Hope first, then Plague Of Shadows and then Spectre of Torment. I also recommend CRANKING THAT FUCKIN END CREDITS SONG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VAcikf9m6o

• Locked thread