Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Deceitful Penguin posted:

It feels like a game that's only just left Beta, tbh. And the fact that they never bothered to go back and fix it the way they did 3 is seriously pathetic.
How did they fix 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think he's referring to Broken Steel

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Someone want to explain to me, again, how these east coast jerks, who are apparently swimming in pre-war money, never mind how Fallout 3 was set where you could probably find the loving presses, still decided to use bottle caps, in spite of being removed by thousands of miles from The Hub?

New Vegas should have made more of an argument about currencies beyond "bottle caps are the most stable-set because water."
It honestly comes down to fallout 3 just having a weird design principal of reintroducing Fallout poo poo that didn't really need to be there. I mean the game essentially acts as a quasi-remake of the first two games, reintroducing the Brotherhood of Steel, the Enclave, and Super Mutants through convoluted means.

But there is stuff like iguana on a stick, radscorpions, and Deathclaws that don't really make a ton of sense for the DC area to have because DC tends to not have scorpions and lizards. And whatever, there are definitely ways to justify it all, but not just lazy design, it's a very wrongheaded design. The presence of Super Mutants in Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 is frankly completely unnecessary and imagines a non-existent consumer who needs Super Mutants to be in the game because it's Fallout.

That's why caps are used on the East Coast. Because it's a Fallout game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That consumer exists and his name is Mister Bibs.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
4 still has serious game-breaking issues for me that I was only able to fix with mods, such as certain quest-important areas dropping so many frames (down to about 0.5 fps) that they become unplayable. I enjoy the game, I've played it a ton, but it's ridiculous that I have to seek out third-party modifications in order to make the game stable enough to play (albeit still extremely crash-prone).

Some of the bugs are at least amusing, like freeing the Nuka-World slaves causing everyone in the park to remove all of their clothes, but seriously, the level of jankiness in this game is ridiculous for such a huge AAA studio.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
anything to do with barfsoft's shitposts they call games should have this playing on repeat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7ji_euRLoo

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mister Bates posted:

4 still has serious game-breaking issues for me that I was only able to fix with mods, such as certain quest-important areas dropping so many frames (down to about 0.5 fps) that they become unplayable. I enjoy the game, I've played it a ton, but it's ridiculous that I have to seek out third-party modifications in order to make the game stable enough to play (albeit still extremely crash-prone).

Some of the bugs are at least amusing, like freeing the Nuka-World slaves causing everyone in the park to remove all of their clothes, but seriously, the level of jankiness in this game is ridiculous for such a huge AAA studio.

You must have a hardware issue. I've never experienced an FPS dip below 40.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
It's only in specific places, it's in specific places where other people have reported identical issues, and it only happened while looking at single specific locations in those places. They were usually not even particularly resource-intensive areas; problem areas included a single blank wall in one corner of the Diamond City jail, for example, which is a tiny cell with few NPCs and no significant graphical effects to speak of. A shelf in one of the closets in the Switchboard also caused the problem; I could get consistently great FPS in the entire zone no matter what, even at max settings, even while standing next to the shelf, but looking at the shelf turned the game into a slideshow.

Installing ENBoost on an otherwise vanilla install and setting up an ENB preset fixed it - it still happens occasionally, but a save and restart always fixes it, and it happens once every three or four play sessions instead of two or three times every play session.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 21, 2017

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

marshmallow creep posted:

That consumer exists and his name is Mister Bibs.

*swallows iguana whole, chokes to death, sinks to one knee for a short while before standing up, recovered*

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Floppychop posted:

Fallout 4 has Diamond city as the only major settlement with very few minor settlements. Only Covenant really comes to mind.

Bunker Hill, Vault 81, Goodneighbor... dunno if the Railroad and Brotherhood bases count because they're not strictly towns but they kinda serve the purpose of towns?

Yeah, it says something that two plot points and one new companion don't really come to mind.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Far Harbour is just so much better story and quest wise than anything in the main game. The quest is still kind of dumb with the Children of Atom stuff, but it comes closer to genuine interesting ethical choices than anything the mainland factions throw at you.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Someone want to explain to me, again, how these east coast jerks, who are apparently swimming in pre-war money, never mind how Fallout 3 was set where you could probably find the loving presses, still decided to use bottle caps, in spite of being removed by thousands of miles from The Hub?

New Vegas should have made more of an argument about currencies beyond "bottle caps are the most stable-set because water."

Fallout 4's economy isn't backed by caps or bundles of old-world $1* bills, it's backed by whoever the gently caress is honoring those promissory notes for adhesive and fiber optics. Still probably caravans?

(*pre-war money might be a bunch of different denominations? But the sealed secret compartment in the crashed airliner by Tenpines Bluff has $2500 in cash per the manifest, and 25 pre-war money.)

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Really, if Bethesda had actually been interested in doing their own spin on fallout, instead of aping the aesthetic wholesale, they could have gone with the original plan for 1 to use pre-war credit cards, with different colors being used as different denominations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

Really, if Bethesda had actually been interested in doing their own spin on fallout, instead of aping the aesthetic wholesale, they could have gone with the original plan for 1 to use pre-war credit cards, with different colors being used as different denominations.

Given the abundance of working pre-war terminals, I'd think you'd be able to rig up a funcional POS system. Collecting the batch transfers at the end of the day might get a bit sporting. Retail... Retail never changes.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Keeshhound posted:

I actually really liked the bit in F4 where you buy a charge card from that scammer and get rejected everywhere you try to use it. One of those few nice little touches that felt like it was out of the original games.

Was a bit sad when that guy actually accepted it in Far Harbor.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Is there a cumulative quicksave/autosave bug like in previous games, or have I just screwed myself up with mods?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

GWBBQ posted:

Is there a cumulative quicksave/autosave bug like in previous games, or have I just screwed myself up with mods?

Both are very possible. I'd try turning off auto-saves and trimming your save file folder down to just the stuff you've done in the last day or so to see if that helps.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

marshmallow creep posted:

Both are very possible. I'd try turning off auto-saves and trimming your save file folder down to just the stuff you've done in the last day or so to see if that helps.
I'll try that. The specific problem I had with my past two playthroughs is that after a while, I couldn't fast travel because it would sit on the fast travel screen forever. It wasn't freezing up completely since the text would change, the model would keep spinning, and the Vault Tec logo was still animated, but I would have to Alt-quite with F4 and end the process through task manager. In the last one I gave up on, I also couldn't sleep because the screen would go black and nothing I tried would fix it (timescale, image modifier reset, changing cells, etc.)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yep, that sounds like the problem I was having. Some days I can go all day without a problem, and others it'll take three attempts to fast-travel once. Try downloading the Fallrim Tools to removed orphan scripts from your save files. That helped me in several instances.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Kiggles posted:

How did they fix 3?

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think he's referring to Broken Steel
Yeah, not only that but with decent DLC support in general. Yeah, some of it wasn't great, like the boring swamp thing (though it had good moments) and the alien one (what was even going on there??) but at least there was some effort put into supporting the game after launch and some vague acknowledgement that Mistakes Had Been Made and needed to be fixed

nothing like that for 4

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

The paid mod update just came out :ohdear:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Yeah, not only that but with decent DLC support in general. Yeah, some of it wasn't great, like the boring swamp thing (though it had good moments) and the alien one (what was even going on there??) but at least there was some effort put into supporting the game after launch and some vague acknowledgement that Mistakes Had Been Made and needed to be fixed

nothing like that for 4

Point Lookout was the pinnacle of Fallout 3's dlc actually, easy mistake to make. A medium sized, densely packed map that played to the games strengths with interesting quests, characters, and locations, all in an awesome swampy package that felt extremely unique compared to the base game without feeling silly.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

tweet my meat posted:

Point Lookout was the pinnacle of Fallout 3's dlc actually, easy mistake to make. A medium sized, densely packed map that played to the games strengths with interesting quests, characters, and locations, all in an awesome swampy package that felt extremely unique compared to the base game without feeling silly.
Yeah, the only bad thing I have to say about Point Lookout is that the hillbilly enemies there were a pile of hot garbage, being mostly dull bullet sponges with a hidden +damage attribute to make them extra-annoying. A mod to turn that bullshit off exists, though, and the rest of it was a fun place to visit.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
You are both right! It was a great setting doing something different to the usual scorched wasteland let down by lazy balancing. In order to make it challenging the hillbillies had ridiculous hit points and extra damage instead of some more interesting game design.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I liked the Pitt. :shobon:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Bogart posted:

I liked the Pitt. :shobon:

The Pitt had surprisingly good vertical level design, and shockingly bad (even for Bethesda) storytelling.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Yes, but it also had a mod that allowed Cannibalism to be the third way you can finish the story. :3:

(but yes, The Pitt was a legit good expansion)

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Keeshhound posted:

The Pitt had surprisingly good vertical level design, and shockingly bad (even for Bethesda) storytelling.

The Pitt is a perfect example of Throwing the Idiot Ball. There's an ambush that's obvious from a mile away, but you have to walk into it to advance the plot.

But yeah, some of the 3D level design was awesome. It made my framerate tank in places, but that shouldn't be an issue 9 years after release.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Point Lookout was bullet spongey but I really liked Desmond, he was fun

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Creation club is live, just as everyone expected it's literally paid mods - repainting Pipboy or for example Hellfire power armor - pay Bethesda $5 for it or get one of 3 free versions on nexus, hmmmm.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

$1 to paint your power armour black. :woop:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
horse (power) armor

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bogart posted:

horse (power) armor

$2.50 and incredibly stupid looking.

Bethesda is trying to be in on the joke but you can't do that when you're still doing exactly the same bullshit.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Wait, they actually went through with paid mods?
HHAHAHAHAHAGHAGAGAGAGAGAGAHAHHAHA

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

tweet my meat posted:

The part with the fake stats was fun, same with the spy sidequest.

The villain was also kinda amusing? Aside from that, all I remember is hillbillies with guns that tore me to poo poo but didn't do poo poo to them.

Though nothing in the latter games has equaled having the Chinese Stealth Armour and the Silenced assault rifle. It was fun

Inzombiac posted:

Wait, they actually went through with paid mods?
HHAHAHAHAHAGHAGAGAGAGAGAGAHAHHAHA
I'm not even surprised at this point. Pathetic, really.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
The only thing they ever learned from Horse Armour DLC is to get someone else to create the horse armour.

Also the update fucks up anything that requires F4SE, so it's got that going for it.

And it downloads the mod assets, so what you're paying for is the esp file.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Gnome de plume posted:

And it downloads the mod assets, so what you're paying for is the esp file.

Wait, so with rudimentary CK knowledge you can 'pirate' the mods?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So what happens with mods I already have installed? Will some of those now become paid mods with an update and then break my game? In particular I'm thinking of Sim-Settlements because that's actually a very high quality mod. If I have to start paying for poo poo I already have to keep my game working, ugh.

Edit: nvm, I found the answer this. NO current mods will be allowed to be iterated into a paid mod, ONLY new content. I'm sure there'll be a loophole there somewhere and this is still incredibly tasteless, but oh well.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Aug 30, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I wanna say they were adamant about not permitting existing mods be converted into paid mods, as a strict rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rinkles posted:

I wanna say they were adamant about not permitting existing mods be converted into paid mods, as a strict rule.

They were also adamant that these would be high-quality, content-rich mods made by the community.

• Locked thread