Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Where are the shirtless spacewalk pics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
What I got most out of that is that Mars is mostly from the global south. Bring on the afrofuturism!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Indeed, nearly the entirety of some Polynesian societies migrated off-planet and the rest is made up of a mix of south asian (Indonesia especially), varying amounts of badly hit coastal African nations and much smaller amounts of Europeans/North Americans. The primary origin of people of 'European' descent on Mars is actually Australia, New Zealand and South Africa although english is generally the accepted tongue for cross-enclave communication thanks to its ubiquity and default status as the worlds second language.

Polynesian and other island cultures are in fact massively over-represented off-planet compared to overall numbers of humanity due to the extreme outward pressure as their homelands disappeared under the sea.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Are you simulating global warming in any way by changing the planet temperature and requiring infrastructure on Earth?

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Saros posted:

Indeed, nearly the entirety of some Polynesian societies migrated off-planet and the rest is made up of a mix of south asian (Indonesia especially), varying amounts of badly hit coastal African nations and much smaller amounts of Europeans/North Americans. The primary origin of people of 'European' descent on Mars is actually Australia, New Zealand and South Africa although english is generally the accepted tongue for cross-enclave communication thanks to its ubiquity and default status as the worlds second language.

Polynesian and other island cultures are in fact massively over-represented off-planet compared to overall numbers of humanity due to the extreme outward pressure as their homelands disappeared under the sea.

So I'm guessing Rugby is the national Martian Sport?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Got to imagine they've tweaked / reinvented most sports to be played in 40% gravity and in cramped conditions. Not alot of free space in pressure domes to devote to a big grass field.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

BwenGun posted:

So I'm guessing Rugby is the national Martian Sport?

Nevets posted:

Got to imagine they've tweaked / reinvented most sports to be played in 40% gravity and in cramped conditions. Not alot of free space in pressure domes to devote to a big grass field.

Gotta be Blitzball!

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Nevets posted:

Put nets up around the pitch to catch players when tackling throws them into the air and be prepared for passing to be a lot more interesting/acrobatic.

As for the space concerns I could imagine some early colony designers making large communal meeting spaces/mess halls easily convertible into sports pitches/town meeting halls/talent night stages. That way you maximise the use of a given space whilst reinforcing community spirit and resolve, something no doubt quite useful when trying to start a colony in a hostile environment.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

LLSix posted:

Gotta be Blitzball!

Spaceball!

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.

Morrow posted:

Spaceball!

I suppose stealing all of Earth's air would speed up the terraforming...

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

a mar(s)ae

just a little kiwi joke there

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Have they done studies on what rising sea levels would do to Australia? I kind of wonder if everything (people, animals, plants, etc.) would just move inland when the seas rise. It's not like the continent is hurting for empty space.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I think the problem is that all the empty space is desert that can only support scrubby vegetation and some spiders, not millions of humans

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Yea, but is it desert because that's the way God wants it, or is it desert because of prevailing weather patterns that will change with rising sea levels?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Nevets posted:

Yea, but is it desert because that's the way God wants it, or is it desert because of prevailing weather patterns that will change with rising sea levels?
Wasteland does not become arable after a few years of rain...

TLDR: if the oceans 'suddenly' rise it will be Hurricane Katrina times a thousand with very few places that can accommodate that many refugees and government aid may as well not exist, and literally everyone in the world is competing for the same vital resources that are in short supply (food/water/safety/hospitals)

So "there's a slim chance society might not collapse" is an optimistic prediction.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

The kind of thing that drives billions offworld and allows a dictatorship to seize power, in other words

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I was kinda hoping it would be Donald Trump.

I had pegged Hillary Clinton as leader of the IC :v:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
On a similar note, I feel like I have a good handle on IC naming conventions until I see "Chelsea Clinton class" cruisers or whatever.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I'm that Space South African admiral warcrimes from Call of duty: infinite warfare.

Probably not for long though!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

The last Call of Duty I actually played was like... 3. Not Modern Warfare 3, just plain CoD 3. Are Mars the baddies in Infinite Warfare?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Nevets posted:

The former. Where rain WOULD move inland, it is blocked by a ruddy great mountain range.Global warming = - farming land. and what's left gets extra rations of rain.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Crazycryodude posted:

The last Call of Duty I actually played was like... 3. Not Modern Warfare 3, just plain CoD 3. Are Mars the baddies in Infinite Warfare?

Ayup. This is basically a reverse Infinite Warfare, but with ships instead of macho men.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Sounds like UT propaganda to me :colbert:

Can that be canon, Saros?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

There's a call of duty in space? That's uh, something.

Saros fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 23, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Saros posted:

The worst received Call of Duty ever! To the point where they immediately poo poo their pants and announced the next one is going back to WW2 (but likely not changing at all, it'll just be the same gameplay with Thompsons, and BARs and PPShs and stuff instead of M16s and MP5s).

I finally caught back up with the thread. Good to see I got my ship! and nearly died in the first command run without doing anything useful to help the fleet at all! :v:

At least I survived, a valiant hero of the war for Titan Freedom.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

Saros posted:

You've hit the nail on the head. That's all it really is: Call of Duty IN SPAAAAAAACE

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Can't wait for WWII grapple hooks and secret nazi jetpacks. It'll be like secret weapons of WWII for the modern kid.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Can't wait for WWII grapple hooks and secret nazi jetpacks. It'll be like secret weapons of WWII for the modern kid.

Isn't that basically Wolfenstein: The New Order, a much much muuuuuch better FPS than CoD: IW?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

You died gloriously my fighter jocks.

Maybe they are the lucky ones?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kommando posted:

You died gloriously my fighter jocks.

Maybe they are the lucky ones?

only the dead have seen the end of space war

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

sebmojo posted:

only the dead have seen the end of space war

And even then, only if they weren't trained in the Force.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

unwantedplatypus posted:

I was kinda hoping it would be Donald Trump.

I had pegged Hillary Clinton as leader of the IC :v:

Like Trump/Clinton is healthy enough to live that long.

Putin thou. He's fit as heck.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Affi posted:

Like Trump/Clinton is healthy enough to live that long.

Putin thou. He's fit as heck.

My recommendation is we cybernetically augment some kind of space bear. They have those on Titan, right? A Titantic cyber-Space Bear could take him.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Zaodai posted:

My recommendation is we cybernetically augment some kind of space bear. They have those on Titan, right? A Titantic cyber-Space Bear could take him.

That's a weird way of spelling Robo-Stalin

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

A roly-poly lunar bear

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Finally caught up to the thread. Never played this crazy game and the moment ship specs and such are mentioned my eyes glaze over so of course I added myself to be spacedorfed and cannot wait to take part in voting tactical decisions I should have no part to be in.

So how difficult is this game actually to get into? All the menus seem pretty daunting at first glance but is it something that'll make sense in context or would a new player be having the wiki open for the first few weeks like DF?

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Greader posted:

Finally caught up to the thread. Never played this crazy game and the moment ship specs and such are mentioned my eyes glaze over so of course I added myself to be spacedorfed and cannot wait to take part in voting tactical decisions I should have no part to be in.

So how difficult is this game actually to get into? All the menus seem pretty daunting at first glance but is it something that'll make sense in context or would a new player be having the wiki open for the first few weeks like DF?

I keep the wiki open all the time, I've been playing on & off for years. You're more than welcome to ask any questions at all either here or over on the discord chat. There are no dumb questions when it comes to a game this complex, so do ask anything

When we're talking ship specs we're usually looking at the design summary. If you want a quick primer then check out the summary breakdown on the wiki page for class design

Edit:
Here's maybe a more simple primer, looking at those Phobos fighter-bombers we saw last combat. It's all situationally important stuff but these are maybe most immediately important

1. Class name and arbitrary designation

2. Size. Bigger is easier to pick up on active sensors. Fighters are under 500 tons, a Schiaparelli class destroyer is 2900 tons, a Zuckerberg is 10650 tons and an Olympos Mons class Battlecruiser is 14450 tons

3. Speed. Faster things can dictate range and also faster things are harder to hit with relatively slower tracking speed weapons or low agility missiles. Our nominal fleet speed is ~3300km/s, those IC Acquisition fighters go 5042km/s, Type 8 class PD fighters go 8k km/s and missiles are generally north of 8k km/s. I think the fastest enemy missiles we've seen are 14k km/s and our short range fighter based missiles at ~17k km/s

4. Armour. Aurora uses a box armour system. First value is rows (thickness), second is number of columns (width). Hits are randomly assigned a column and then cause damage from the lowest point in that column. Bigger ships have more columns, as does thicker armour

5. Missile magazine space. Each missile needs to be stored somewhere. Total missile size points of storage.
    24 size 1 missiles or (in this case) 8 size 1 missiles & 8 size 2 missiles

6. Range this ship can travel before running out of fuel. Ships can share fuel with other ships in their fleet but I think our current doctrine calls for every non-fighter ship to be reasonably self sufficient. (Do we even have a tanker class?) We are in the Sol system so you can google min & max distances between planets to get some perspective on ranges

7. Weapons components go here. Shown are 8 of size 1 missile box launchers and also 8 of size 2 missile box launchers

8. Fire controls, used to direct weapons fire. Shown is a missile fire control, there are also beam fire controls for direct fire weapons such as Gauss Cannons or Plasma Carronades

9. Missile types carried

10. Active sensor, needed to light targets up for weapons fire. Most important bits are the range & resolution. The range ships or missiles are detected at depends on the resolution of the sensor, it's base range and the size of the target. Smaller resolution is better at spotting small things. Resolution 1 to spot enemy missiles, resolution 8 for fighters

TheWetFish fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 23, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well you got me to download this game and it's terrifying, is there any sort of new player guide?

E: looks like quill18 has a video series so I'll watch that.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TheWetFish posted:

I keep the wiki open all the time, I've been playing on & off for years. You're more than welcome to ask any questions at all either here or over on the discord chat. There are no dumb questions when it comes to a game this complex, so do ask anything

When we're talking ship specs we're usually looking at the design summary. If you want a quick primer then check out the summary breakdown on the wiki page for class design

Edit:
Here's maybe a more simple primer, looking at those Phobos fighter-bombers we saw last combat. It's all situationally important stuff but these are maybe most immediately important

1. Class name and arbitrary designation

2. Size. Bigger is easier to pick up on active sensors. Fighters are under 500 tons, a Schiaparelli class destroyer is 2900 tons, a Zuckerberg is 10650 tons and an Olympos Mons class Battlecruiser is 14450 tons

3. Speed. Faster things can dictate range and also faster things are harder to hit with relatively slower tracking speed weapons or low agility missiles. Our nominal fleet speed is ~3300km/s, those IC Acquisition fighters go 5042km/s, Type 8 class PD fighters go 8k km/s and missiles are generally north of 8k km/s. I think the fastest enemy missiles we've seen are 14k km/s and our short range fighter based missiles at ~17k km/s

4. Armour. Aurora uses a box armour system. First value is rows (thickness), second is number of columns (width). Hits are randomly assigned a column and then cause damage from the lowest point in that column. Bigger ships have more columns, as does thicker armour

5. Missile magazine space. Each missile needs to be stored somewhere. Total missile size points of storage.
    24 size 1 missiles or (in this case) 8 size 1 missiles & 8 size 2 missiles

6. Range this ship can travel before running out of fuel. Ships can share fuel with other ships in their fleet but I think our current doctrine calls for every non-fighter ship to be reasonably self sufficient. (Do we even have a tanker class?) We are in the Sol system so you can google min & max distances between planets to get some perspective on ranges

7. Weapons components go here. Shown are 8 of size 1 missile box launchers and also 8 of size 2 missile box launchers

8. Fire controls, used to direct weapons fire. Shown is a missile fire control, there are also beam fire controls for direct fire weapons such as Gauss Cannons or Plasma Carronades

9. Missile types carried

10. Active sensor, needed to light targets up for weapons fire. Most important bits are the range & resolution. The range ships or missiles are detected at depends on the resolution of the sensor, it's base range and the size of the target. Smaller resolution is better at spotting small things. Resolution 1 to spot enemy missiles, resolution 8 for fighters

this is really good! Saros, would it be worth linking this in the op?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Saros, can I have my ship (the DDG More Missiles!) renamed "Titanic Space Bear"?

We'll strike fear in the hearts of our enemies yet. :argh: