Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

KakerMix posted:

I loved Day of Defeat and love Day of Infamy. Even though Day of Infamy only has around 1000-500 people playing at any one time it still feels good. I like the old style jump in and play some rounds then jump out style. I don't want massive charts or scores or anything, just let me gently caress around with some good mechanics and be able to leave in a reasonable time and I'll be happy.
It's me I'm the old gamer.

Isn't Day of Infamy more like Insurgency: WW2 than the very arcadey Day of Defeat?

I'd kill for a new arcadey WW2 shooter that isn't the new and terribly named COD:WW2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

I've always felt like Shooters in general are constantly over saturated yet they consistently are one of the most popular genres, both on PC and consoles.

Personally I had my fill playing endless hours of Counterstrike during High School/University so all of them just look like boring rehashes of poo poo I already played too much of (except for a brief infatuation with overwatch)

I don't know. I get why it's popular, it provides such a visceral, primal experience. You just jump in a match and go. I played a ton of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory back in the day and I guess now Chivalry scratches that itch, even if it's not technically an FPS.

Counterstrike never appealed to me the few times that I've tried it, it seemed like a game where you could get one-shot almost immediately and then have to wait out the rest of the round.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Team-based competitive games create enough plausible deniability to believe that the reason why you lost was because of poo poo allies and not yourself, which has its psychological advantages.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deakul posted:

Isn't Day of Infamy more like Insurgency: WW2 than the very arcadey Day of Defeat?

I'd kill for a new arcadey WW2 shooter that isn't the new and terribly named COD:WW2.

Day of Infamy is still very lethal like Insurgency, but it's much more of a run and gun arcade thing than Insurgency, which tends to be a slow, camping affair. It very much pulls off the DoD feel, but it's not perfect, and I have a lot of problems with their map design, which is mostly why I stopped playing it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Phlegmish posted:

I don't know. I get why it's popular, it provides such a visceral, primal experience. You just jump in a match and go. I played a ton of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory back in the day and I guess now Chivalry scratches that itch, even if it's not technically an FPS.

Counterstrike never appealed to me the few times that I've tried it, it seemed like a game where you could get one-shot almost immediately and then have to wait out the rest of the round.

The threat that you might die and have to sit out the round was part of the appeal. It made each life much more valuable and discouraged reckless behaviour. From what I've heard PUBG has the same kind of one-life-per-round and that seems to be doing pretty well.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The difference is that in PUBG when you die you instantly leave the match and start looking for a new one.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

The threat that you might die and have to sit out the round was part of the appeal. It made each life much more valuable and discouraged reckless behaviour. From what I've heard PUBG has the same kind of one-life-per-round and that seems to be doing pretty well.

thats the worst kind of grognard thinking, where every stupid design choice becomes a glorious blessing that graciously permits you to enjoy the few good parts all the more

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

I like going hard in these games, charging the enemy, keeping the adrenaline flowing. Taking risks is fun. Killing and dying a lot is fun. Camping in a corner somewhere is not. I think I have gaming ADD.

I am aware of that aspect of PUBG, which is why it doesn't appeal to me.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Venuz Patrol posted:

thats the worst kind of grognard thinking, where every stupid design choice becomes a glorious blessing that graciously permits you to enjoy the few good parts all the more

loving what?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yes, "dying having a greater impact means that people will play less recklessly" is totally grognard thinking

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Phlegmish posted:

Counter-Strike just isn't a game that you can pick up and immediately play, it has a steep learning curve and the appeal is in overcoming it. I don't blame people who don't have the patiance/time for it but it absolutely isn't a game where you get one-shot almost immediately if you know what you're doing.

Orv
May 4, 2011
If you don't like that aspect of Counter-Strike, cool, other FPS games exist for you, but it's an integral part of the balance and design of the intended way to play CS (5v5), not some hateful design decision everyone suffers through to do the shooty bits.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Venuz Patrol posted:

Mate, grognard thinking is when the Italian army requires more water to keep up their morale due to the addition of pasta into their rations, or when every last man in each squad is modelled firing their specific weapon in a game the sale of the entirety of Operation Barbarossa.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I started up Night in the Woods, and it really feels like the game wants me to play it with a controller, y/n?

Is rear end Creed: Unity worth playing, or should I skip directly to Syndicate?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

I like going hard in these games, charging the enemy, keeping the adrenaline flowing. Taking risks is fun. Killing and dying a lot is fun. Camping in a corner somewhere is not. I think I have gaming ADD.

I am aware of that aspect of PUBG, which is why it doesn't appeal to me.

You kinda can play that way in PUBG, by dropping in popular areas and afterwards moving straight towards gunfire and/or weapon drops. Especially since first-person-only servers were added, where camping's much less effective since you can't just sit in a shack and get free vision.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

AngelesXO posted:

Any opinions on Dreadout?

Depressingly awful. It's got a fantastic setup and some really cool-looking ghosts, but the areas are huge and empty and those cool-looking ghosts are huge pains in the rear end to fight.

I haven't tried Keepers of the Dark but I've heard it's actually pretty good, particularly because it goes for a boss rush approach to the formula which cuts down on the huge sprawling maps and makes the ghosts more interesting to deal with.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Xander77 posted:

I started up Night in the Woods, and it really feels like the game wants me to play it with a controller, y/n?

It's not really necessary.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Unity has some redeeming features, mostly the incredible recreation of Paris and the pretty awesome co-op, but it has the most boring protagonist in the entire series (not worst, just dullest), the combat is fairly uninteresting and the glitches that remain, even after all the patching, can often screw you over.

Syndicate is a solid game all the way across.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Xander77 posted:

There are guitar hero sections (yes) and light platforming that will probably feel more natural with a gamepad.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The counter strike mode was my favorite in cod 4 and MW2 because it was the only one where everyone wouldn't charge around recklessly twitch shooting and insta knifing around corners since it actually mattered if they died. many rounds would be won based on the objective in some way instead of just which side got more twitch kills. Frequently you'd be the last one alive on your team so everyone would be spectating you, and you'd get to win the match in front of everyone and be a hero. Fuckin grognards

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Xander77 posted:

Considering your reaction to FC4, I'd hesitate to recommend playing any AssCreed games at all.

Especially Unity and Syndicate which are your absolute bog standard AC games if there were ever any, Syndicate shakes things up a little bit with the grappling hook and its more light hearted setting but it's still basically the same game it's been for 10 years now.

I would absolutely recommend Unity if you just want a beautiful reconstruction of Paris in the late 1700s to climb around, I also really liked the gear system in it... but I'm a sucker for well done dress up in games.

Otherwise, storywise, they're both pretty mediocre with nothing terribly memorable in either of them.
Syndicate sticks out more just because of how close to being a straight up steampunk adventure it comes.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 23, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

One thing that Unity did good were the co-op missions which imo feature the most fun gameplay in any AC game but you need other people to play them.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Palpek posted:

One thing that Unity did good were the co-op missions which imo feature the most fun gameplay in any AC game but you need other people to play them.

A couple months ago when I replayed Unity there were still something like 800 players of Unity MP a day on average. Mind you most of them are European and the thing that breaks those missions most is lag, so.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Palpek posted:

I couldn't find anyone to co-op FC4 with, and that came out around the same time as Unity, didn't it?

Deakul posted:

Considering your reaction to FC4, I'd hesitate to recommend playing any AssCreed games at all.
Which part? The single save, or the poo poo storyline? Just about ever rear end Creed thus far allowed you to replay specific sections at will, so I'm a lot more ok with the lack of saves (still not ideal, mind you).

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Xander77 posted:

I couldn't find anyone to co-op FC4 with, and that came out around the same time as Unity, didn't it?
Which part? The single save, or the poo poo storyline? Just about ever rear end Creed thus far allowed you to replay specific sections at will, so I'm a lot more ok with the lack of saves (still not ideal, mind you).

Yeah, you're right about replaying sections but the mission design can definitely be just as obnoxious and infuriating as FC's.

And yeah, the story is pretty ham in both recent entries. I'd say it's more tolerable in Unity than Syndicate though.
Syndicate's story is just so tonally inconsistent and one of the protags is so loving unlikable that it's absurd, nevermind that it's silly at all that your entire schtick in the game is controlling... actual murderous bloodthirsty gangs.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Deakul posted:

:same: a DoD:GO equivalent would be right up my alley.

I loved FPS games, but honestly none of them currently popular on the market really interest me or have fallen flat for various reasons. My top FPS games would be Natural Selection, DoD, and Bad Company 2. NS2 was kind of a dud despite like 900 hours into NS, and is of course dead as the dodo as well now. I hated BF3-4 since they backpedaled on almost everything that made BC2 great. I did have fun with BF1 which closer to what I liked about BC2 but typical DICE fashion kind of hosed it up and Ops was the only mode I liked and is dead. Overwatch was quite fun for a little awhile and hit a lot of boxes of what I like in games, but got a little stale with me and I'm more a fan of 10/12v10/12 range. When I came back to it after a long hiatus, they killed Roadhog which was the only one I really liked playing :(

Maybe someday we'll get a good asymmetric fast-paced larger game like Natural Selection again. Or a BC3 game but welp dice.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Digirat posted:

The counter strike mode was my favorite in cod 4 and MW2 because it was the only one where everyone wouldn't charge around recklessly twitch shooting and insta knifing around corners since it actually mattered if they died. many rounds would be won based on the objective in some way instead of just which side got more twitch kills. Frequently you'd be the last one alive on your team so everyone would be spectating you, and you'd get to win the match in front of everyone and be a hero. Fuckin grognards
Even in MW2, but especially so in the later games, the best way to win these matches was to immediately rambo over to the other side and just blindfire/grenade the handful of locations that every single person that hadn't booted it over to your side would be hiding in, so every match within a minute was just two or three idiots running around hoping to find each other first while the "smart players" spectated.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I decided to go back to Kingdom Rush Frontiers and do the bonus levels. They're not fun at all and whoever created the turtle fuckers in the island campaign was an rear end in a top hat.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Are the games that aren't goat simulator any good in this bundle? https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/indie-legends-6-bundle

I ask because I already have goat simulator and the only other game I've heard of is Shadowrun: Dragonfall

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I've only played Shadowrun out of that list and that by itself is worth the paltry $4 (or whatever, I'm in Canada).

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

dromal phrenia posted:

Are the games that aren't goat simulator any good in this bundle? https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/indie-legends-6-bundle

I ask because I already have goat simulator and the only other game I've heard of is Shadowrun: Dragonfall

Worth it for Chroma Squad alone if you like that genre. That game is full of charm.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

Even in MW2, but especially so in the later games, the best way to win these matches was to immediately rambo over to the other side and just blindfire/grenade the handful of locations that every single person that hadn't booted it over to your side would be hiding in, so every match within a minute was just two or three idiots running around hoping to find each other first while the "smart players" spectated.

I never once saw this manage to kill more than a single person at a time in MW2 but it did do a fantastic job of letting everyone know you were right there since you just threw a grenade at them. Rambo players tended to remove themselves from the match very quickly without killing more than one other person. It was a dumb way to play that mode and they appropriately got punished for it, because you would know exactly what they were trying to do after round 1. What you describe is nothing like how it actually worked in the year+ I played MW2.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Worth it for Chroma Squad alone if you like that genre. That game is full of charm.

By genre do you mean turn-based strategy RPGs or super sentai? Because I don't really have any nostalgia or affection for Power Rangers and as an RPG it's pretty poor, there's just not a lot of depth or meaningful customization or progression.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth

Away all Goats posted:

Has anyone posted the CrowbCat video on Lawbreakers yet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ4v2LgVlEA

"there's overwatch, then battlefield and cod, as long as we can become number 2 or 3 we're good"

wow cliffy forgetting about best selling console game of the month, splatoon 2?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Chroma Squad is amazing, and if you don't like super teams, just go through the game being a jerk, and all your dreams will come true, no lie.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

dromal phrenia posted:

I've heard good things about Chroma Squad and The Final Station.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Bruteman posted:

I've heard good things about Chroma Squad and The Final Station.

Final Station is very fun, but incredibly unpleasant to play. Control scheme is archaic, but story, sound, graphics all super

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The store seems to be hosed right now.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Game is weird and fun.
TF8F4-7D5JQ-MMZAW

These go together
8AD59-XA2TI-MYR6A
3NX83-M3MWY-EI53T
A3EFV-J2HY2-563A0
YGQ2W-PEJH3-GBPRD
53T0X-JI9AY-P9IVM
V8YLI-RAFH7-6Y04T

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dromal phrenia