Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

whypick1 posted:

They do, but not in that sense. The item level determines what mods (and what rolls you can get from said mods) an item can get.

For example, a Harbinger Bow is min level 68. If you get it at a level 68 area, the max %increased physical damage roll it can get is 135-154% (Cruel, ilvl 60). At level 84 (which is the max level for all item mods iirc), it can roll 170-179% (Merciless, ilvl 83). Pretty big difference.

It also affects max sockets it can roll, but that maxes out at level 50 and can be overwritten by Vorici anyway.

Yeah but doesn't the base item (i.e. min level requirement to use the item) also determine its base attributes (dmg, armor, etc.)?

So at level 84 I'd rather get something that requires me to be level 84 than 68, since its final damage will be much higher with those percentage increases. Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

Devor posted:

:shobon:

You can also search poe.trade for Dreadarc with 3 linked red sockets - there's lots available for 1 alch, which is about as cheap as you'll find since less than that isn't worth a trip back to trade

You could use one in each hand! Go faster

Yeah I'm trying not to use trade and install all those macro's and scripts/UI stuff for trade until I hit like lv65. I'm having fun just leveling for the first time I don't want to slow it down with worrying about trade. I just use the poo poo I pick up and upgrade as I go.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah but doesn't the base item (i.e. min level requirement to use the item) also determine its base attributes (dmg, armor, etc.)?

So at level 84 I'd rather get something that requires me to be level 84 than 68, since its final damage will be much higher with those percentage increases. Right?

All true points. However:

1. Most stuff that drops will be crap no matter what
2. Plenty of stuff that is valuable doesn't require that high of an ilvl, particularly jewelry. The highest life roll on rings only requires ilvl 44, for example.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

NPR Journalizard posted:

getting real sick of harbingers in the boss rooms of maps.

i had a harbinger/breach boss room on a double beyond map earlier

that was fun especially when i accidentally triggered the breach

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Well, speaking of good drops, I just got this:

pre:
Rarity: Unique
Marohi Erqi
Karui Maul
--------
Two Handed Mace
Physical Damage: 294-455 (augmented)
Critical Strike Chance: 5.00%
Attacks per Second: 0.99 (augmented)
Weapon Range: 11
--------
Requirements:
Level: 57
Str: 182
--------
Sockets: R-R-R 
--------
Item Level: 72
--------
30% increased Stun Duration on Enemies
--------
Socketed Gems are Supported by level 15 Increased Area of Effect
230% increased Physical Damage
Adds 10 to 20 Physical Damage
10% reduced Attack Speed
-100 to Accuracy Rating
10% reduced Movement Speed
49% increased Stun Duration on Enemies
currently using:

pre:
The Blood Reaper
Headsman Axe
--------
Two Handed Axe
Quality: +20% (augmented)
Physical Damage: 162-241 (augmented)
Critical Strike Chance: 5.00%
Attacks per Second: 1.30
Weapon Range: 11
--------
Requirements:
Level: 68
Str: 146
Dex: 57
--------
Sockets: R-R-R-R 
--------
Item Level: 57
--------
185% increased Physical Damage
+100 to maximum Life
10 Life Regenerated per second
1% of Physical Attack Damage Leeched as Life
50% increased Mana Cost of Skills
50% chance to cause Bleeding on Hit
So the maul is a massive DPS boost, but I need to respec out of axes and into maces. Worth it I guess?

I'm also going to miss the +100 life on my axe. :(

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Well, speaking of good drops, I just got this:

pre:
Marohi Erqi

So the maul is a massive DPS boost, but I need to respec out of axes and into maces. Worth it I guess?

Buy a Kaom's Primacy or Hezmana's Bloodlust for an alch. Or Debeon's Dirge if you're willing to respec into an elemental damage build. Or spend a few chaos on a Ngamahu's Flame.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 24, 2017

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
The issue also with basing drops on level rather than ilvl is that some builds use uniques with very low level bases (like Quill Rain, which uses the lowest level bow base), but want higher ilvl versions of those items so that they can get max links on them.

You'd have to do a pretty big overhaul to avoid screwing over those builds.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

I can't suggest speccing into maces just to use Marohi Erqi - all the unique maces are bad as end-game weapons, it's the weapon type to pick if you want to be a special snowflake or pay nothing for your wimpy noodle sticks. Source: I have a mace sunder berserker this league.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Lprsti99 posted:

Aspect of carnage is FORTY PERCENT MORE. It's a gigantic damage increase, and because of those same rules, the 10% increased damage taken isn't nearly so impactful.
This is actually inaccurate. Increases to damage taken actually just function the same as more multipliers, for both players and enemies. It's why Belt of the Deceiver is such a good item for melee characters right now.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Marohi is an earthquake weapon, and its plenty good enough to carry you into endgame.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
I have 4 passive refund points available. If you use one of these, does it remove a point from another place on the tree you've already used- like a one for one trade?
Or can you just use 4 points however you like?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

they refund one point of your choice that you have already spent and allow you to allocate it somewhere else. they are not extra skill points

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dennis McClaren posted:

I have 4 passive refund points available. If you use one of these, does it remove a point from another place on the tree you've already used- like a one for one trade?
Or can you just use 4 points however you like?

you pull a point out of a node that you have already used to use elsewhere, which is why they're termed refund points.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

theshim posted:

This is actually inaccurate. Increases to damage taken actually just function the same as more multipliers, for both players and enemies. It's why Belt of the Deceiver is such a good item for melee characters right now.

Oh, good to know, I was basing that on what someone said in guild chat earlier.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Lprsti99 posted:

As far as losing the damage on the shield, it's completely trivial. Run Uberlab (or get someone to carry you), or hang out in global 820 for trials if you're missing any, and get Aspect of Carnage. If you're not aware, the game makes a distinction between more/less and increased/decreased. The former is multiplicative, the latter additive. So, as an example, if your Dark Pact does 1000 damage base, and you have, say, 80% increased damage to it through your tree, then adding the 20% increased from your shield takes you from 1800 to 2000 damage, which is nothing to sneeze at. However, if it was 20% more damage, then it becomes 1000 * 1.8 * 1.2 = 2160 damage. Aspect of carnage is FORTY PERCENT MORE. It's a gigantic damage increase, and because of those same rules, the 10% increased damage taken isn't nearly so impactful.

Thanks, I think this explains why I am so bad. :) I've been seeing my DPS is low, and when a boss has chaos resist and can kill my wither totem I'm pretty done. Dark Pact might not have been the best choice for a first character. I don't get a lot of time to respond when something goes wrong. I had a lot fewer deaths with Sunder.
Sunder is pretty amazing with multistrike IMO because it autotargets. This can be annoying with a boss but generally it saved me a TON of time.

I did about a million maps with another goon (bayam?) tonight and cleared all but one trial. I can definitely see how having more than 2 or maybe 3 people in a group would be rough. You don't have a ton of portals and honestly a third person would have just been watching poo poo blow up. It was nice when my teammate was able to take out a twinned totem boss that was doing dual frost blasts from range while I worked on developing a good rigor mortis.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
the new celestial weapon mtx a) looks amazing and b) is way too expensive lmao

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Can someone with elreon 7 contact Donslappy please, I need a crafted mod removed from a ring. Happy to pay a fee.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

i thought it looked too dark in the preview video. not enough stars and poo poo

how many points is it

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

denizen posted:

I got some go fast boots
Would that mean with zero ES you'd have perma turbo (with perma extra damage taken)?

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Post some actual footage and not GGG's carefully-angled previews if you can. I'm trying very hard to resist clicking buy, because I love the celestial effects. It's really expensive though.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

sushibandit posted:

Would that mean with zero ES you'd have perma turbo (with perma extra damage taken)?

Yes, but the boots provide ES and there's no way to set your ES to 0 besides not wearing any ES gear.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Awesome! posted:

i thought it looked too dark in the preview video. not enough stars and poo poo

how many points is it

sushibandit posted:

Post some actual footage and not GGG's carefully-angled previews if you can. I'm trying very hard to resist clicking buy, because I love the celestial effects. It's really expensive though.

ZiggyD's been using it all evening: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/169344067?t=1h56m

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

theshim posted:

Except it's not quite a more multiplier. Shock, Shocking Ground, Wither, Whatever Blight's Jewel does, and a few other things all are added to it. Wither especially makes a lot of that stuff not as good if you actually get stacks off.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
What's a good 2-handed sword skin? Not a fan of the starforge 3d art, it's too flashy and mystical for something that does pure physical damage. I quite like the new colossal sword they've previewed, because it's relatively grounded. But if I don't want to pay for that, what looks good?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Phobophilia posted:

What's a good 2-handed sword skin? Not a fan of the starforge 3d art, it's too flashy and mystical for something that does pure physical damage. I quite like the new colossal sword they've previewed, because it's relatively grounded. But if I don't want to pay for that, what looks good?

I like Edge of Madness' 3D art.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
^^^yeah that owns

Phobophilia posted:

the base two handed Katana (Exquisite Blade I think?) obviously

(the Witch looks especially hilarious lugging it behind her)

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

How do I go about linking my character's page to share it? I'm having gear problems and I don't know what to do/where to go.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

NPR Journalizard posted:

getting real sick of harbingers in the boss rooms of maps.
Harbingers and bosses and rogue exiles :stonk:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I'm getting sick of harbingers in general, loving time sink nonsense.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Ignore them unless they're wearing fancy hats and poo poo

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

NachtSieger posted:

How do I go about linking my character's page to share it? I'm having gear problems and I don't know what to do/where to go.

login to your account on the poe page? and copy paste the url from the character page? :confused:

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Goa Tse-tung posted:

login to your account on the poe page? and copy paste the url from the character page? :confused:

I don't see a url to the character at all, is the thing. I click on the character and the gear/skills show up.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Has anyone made a Ngamahu Slayer yet? How's it doing against reflect?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kild posted:

Reflect is non-issue even on HC.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Reflect is non-issue even on HC.

Are you playing it on HC?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

NachtSieger posted:

I don't see a url to the character at all, is the thing. I click on the character and the gear/skills show up.

link the page then just tell us the name, also the last used character should be in focus

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Ignore them unless they're wearing fancy hats and poo poo

Yes i will ignore the pack in the boss room good idea

*looks at name*

oh.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

NPR Journalizard posted:

Yes i will ignore the pack in the boss room good idea

*looks at name*

oh.

Wasn't talking to you, but for you my advice is to get good :smugdog:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
My Oro flicker duelist eats Harbingers for breakfast. In fact, I'm happy when I see one in a map boss room, as it means free flask charges and splash life leech.

Edit: Found this earlier, might be worth something?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Aug 24, 2017

Pollyzoid
Nov 2, 2010

GRUUAGH you say?

Kild posted:

Playing one on HC right now. Only up to t7 maps so can't speak beyond that, but I've had no problems with reflect mobs with just the reflect pantheon and a ruby flask. Feels really good to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kild posted:

Are you playing it on HC?
I'm playing a different elemental build on HC currently. Reflect works the same for everyone.