Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I came across two of these panels while browsing TVTropes and really enjoyed them

from Universal Solvent

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

That's some real Plan 9 From Outer Space science.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Ballz posted:

That's... an interesting variation I hadn't seen before. Clear view of Della's (still nameless) husband sporting a 50s-style buzz cut and Ludwig marrying Matilda. That one might actually get some play if Ludwig does indeed appear in DuckTales this season.

I guess in a few cartoons Donald called Ludwig "Uncle" and this is the only way he'd be Donald's uncle while having the Von Drake name.

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Ludwig_Von_Drake According to this, Ludwig is actually Quackmore's brother and has a different last name just because? Then again, Rosa didn't write the cartoons so. :shrug:

It's a pretty concise family tree considering how many relations the comic and cartoons kept piling on Donald.

kefkafloyd posted:

Done, along with a high res copy of Webby's Charlie board.

Thank you!

tom bob-ombadil fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 22, 2017

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

galenanorth posted:

I came across two of these panels while browsing TVTropes and really enjoyed them

from Universal Solvent

Seeing the crazy things people come up with based on one of the fancier names for water is unceasingly amazing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

what is Gyro anyway? A chicken? some kind of tern?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Yeah, he's a chicken-man.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
oh my loving god the reboot is perfect i'm so happy

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

morse code lol

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Horse code.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm worried obsessing over the Duck family tree is going to get Goons the same reputation as Sonic or MLP fans. I was happy to watch the show with my five year old step-daughter who laughed at the silly duck hijinks and got a more mature version of Donald than the Mickey Mouse Club House episodes she's been watching for years and is outgrowing. But every time I look at that family tree image I get a little uncomfortable. I think it just reminds me of Sonic Character (OC, DO NOT STEAL).

I'm much happier to have her watch something like this, which is a bit deeper and emotionally mature than PJ Masks or whatever talking car show Nick Jr. is trying to sell toys of these days. She loved it and asked for more.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm worried obsessing over the Duck family tree is going to get Goons the same reputation as Sonic or MLP fans. I was happy to watch the show with my five year old step-daughter who laughed at the silly duck hijinks and got a more mature version of Donald than the Mickey Mouse Club House episodes she's been watching for years and is outgrowing. But every time I look at that family tree image I get a little uncomfortable. I think it just reminds me of Sonic Character (OC, DO NOT STEAL).

This is duck comics, man, that crap's been going on for decades. Don Rosa's been obsessing over that stuff since before he was paid to draw that family tree.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

kefkafloyd posted:

This is duck comics, man, that crap's been going on for decades. Don Rosa's been obsessing over that stuff since before he was paid to draw that family tree.

The breadth and depth of duck comics mythology will forever be a very weird thing to me.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

kefkafloyd posted:

Grown people, serious businessmen and politicians have outed themselves as Duck nerds, especially in Europe. Like Asterix & Obelix, Duck comics (esp. Barks) was one of the few comic book series you could admit to read in polite company pre Superhero explosion.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

kefkafloyd posted:

Yeah don't even hold it as canon to the new series. This is mostly just idle chit chat while waiting for a new episode.

I just enjoy discussing it because sadly as an American, I don't have anyone else to talk about this stuff with :smith:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I met Don Rosa at the Gothenburg book fair in 2012. You had to stand in line twice if you wanted a drawing. And that was per drawing, so if you wanted two drawings, that's two extra times in line.

I got two drawings.

He's a cool dude, he took requests, that's why I got Fergus and Angus (I've got a thing for hats I guess)

BTW, can't see the new episode, because it's not available in Europe I guess. Thanks for that, Disney.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I really like that they kept in the part from the comics where Donald is one of the few people unimpressed with Scrooge's fame and money and is willing to butt heads with him.

And Mrs. Beakley throwing the pen and embedding it into the wall made me go :stare:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

galenanorth posted:

from Universal Solvent

This is one of my favourite Rosa comics btw. I like that there are huge stakes without a villain.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Ah yes, the Universal Solvent. I have unfortunately never read that story, but I did read the stories that take place after they solved it. (And introduced the Black Knight, alias Arpin Lusène.) I remember being rather creeped out by that stuff.

Also, I got to see the DuckTales pilot and I liked what I saw. Eagerly awaiting the rest of the season.

RedApe98
Mar 17, 2009

X-O posted:

Yeah, I thought it was fine though. Most cartoons are faster paced now than they were then anyway.

Also in case anyone maybe saw that Easter Egg I mentioned and recognized it but didn't quite know from where he it is in the original Ducktales in the last part of the pilot.

That coin image brings back some fuzzy/happy childhood memories of watching the same Duck Tales vhs tape over and over again. All I can remember is those giant coins being used as mirror reflections near some incan temple and the temple itself ends up crumbling to pieces and there is lava...or something like that. Also later on they go to some frozen village and use a tuning fork to shatter or break free a bunch of frozen people or buildings, that part really stuck with me though. I know that's not really helpful or anything but I would be interested to know where that came from also.

Anyway I really enjoyed the new show and looking forward to more episodes.

Edit: Found it! The episode is The Treasure of the Golden Suns, Has a Cortez dog guy in it and Webby ends up looking like a penguin. Now to figure out how to get finally watch it.

RedApe98 fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Aug 27, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

RedApe98 posted:

That coin image brings back some fuzzy/happy childhood memories of watching the same Duck Tales vhs tape over and over again. All I can remember is those giant coins being used as mirror reflections near some incan temple and the temple itself ends up crumbling to pieces and there is lava...or something like that. Also later on they go to some frozen village and use a tuning fork to shatter or break free a bunch of frozen people or buildings, that part really stuck with me though. I know that's not really helpful or anything but I would be interested to know where that came from also.

Anyway I really enjoyed the new show and looking forward to more episodes.

All of that is the five part pilot too.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Sold a guy I used to go to school with on the series today. He was skeptical but let me play the first episode and intro theme and that was that.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm much happier to have her watch something like this, which is a bit deeper and emotionally mature than PJ Masks or whatever talking car show Nick Jr. is trying to sell toys of these days. She loved it and asked for more.

Carl Barks was drawing :nws:duck tits:nws: long before the internet existed or there was even a term for that kind of thing.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Barks got his artistic start in the 1920s drawing racy comics for men's magazines. I remember in the 1990s Gladstone Publishing reprinted some of his more work-safe strips right alongside the Disney stuff.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Guy Mann posted:

Carl Barks was drawing :nws:duck tits:nws: long before the internet existed or there was even a term for that kind of thing.

There is just something so eerie about putting a duck bill on an otherwise normal human being. It's like those wartime photos of school children in gasmasks.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Das Boo posted:

There is just something so eerie about putting a duck bill on an otherwise normal human being. It's like those wartime photos of school children in gasmasks.

This is why you don't see a lot of anthropomorphic bird characters in things, beaks are really hard to draw and animate expressively without becoming a glorified Homer Simpson beard muzzle.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

New episodes are still a ways off, but apparently there's a new promo out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-t1Go0B3a0

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Do we have any confirmation of the Terror That Flaps in the Night showing up?

Fake edit: Does Fenton still activate the Gizmo Duck armor by saying blathering blatherskite?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

That is exactly what I was thinking. Nice.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

side_burned posted:

Fake edit: Does Fenton still activate the Gizmo Duck armor by saying blathering blatherskite?

Darkwing Duck is gonna show up, we just don't know when or in what capacity. https://ohmy.disney.com/news/2017/07/24/ducktales-san-diego-comic-con/

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

side_burned posted:

I think it was at the D23 expo (if not maybe comic con?), they did play an audio clip of Lin Manuel-Miranda saying it, but hell if I can find the article where that was mentioned.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

What does he say at the beginning? I can only understand "I <duck speak> myself". :negative:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

gmq posted:

What does he say at the beginning? I can only understand "I <duck speak> myself". :negative:

"I get to tell him myself!"

"When you live here, you answer to me!"

"I answer to NO ONE!!"

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I love that LMM is involved with this, he's perfect for the role.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I wonder how they'll handle Darkwing and Launchpad. Would they already have a history before, or are they going to be meeting each other for the first time?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

gmq posted:

"I can take care of myself"

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Doesn't duck tales take place before dwd in canon

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Thumbtacks posted:

Doesn't duck tales take place before dwd in canon

They're not technically supposed to be connected like that. Tad Stones (who was one of the producers and directors involved in both)) compared DuckTales and Darkwing to Sherlock and Elementary in that they're different shows using (some of) the same characters.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
That makes sense, Launchpad has been in like four different Disney shows.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Listen: Launchpad McQuack has come unstuck in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

There was a line in a Darkwing episode that had Gizmoduck in it where Launchpad says they both "used to work for the same guy." That's really the only direct reference of continuity between the two shows.