Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Affi posted:

No matter if we live or die this is a great victory for Mars.

If we lose the shipyards and harvesters then we'll still always have the people of titan on our side and titan will be impossible to hold for anyone other then us.

Btw Special Branch totally secured the triumvir. Should be lock their ship real quick?

Sure, if you want to start a civil war between Fleet and Special Branch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Friend Commuter posted:

Sure, if you want to start a civil war between Fleet and Special Branch.

I know who I'm siding with

Not spoiler: It's sure as gently caress not Fleet.

Another Otter
May 14, 2012

Affi posted:

Btw Special Branch totally secured the triumvir. Should be lock their ship real quick?

Even in the Martian Navy there is such a thing as "above our pay-grade".

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Cathode Raymond posted:

*pulls off his mask*

It was me! I was the Triumvir the whole time!

Even my immediate family bought it!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
It's really not, special branch are good peoples but senator warcrimes is not our boss. We all decided not to deal with the triumvir and they went behind our backs.

I say loving lock them, board them and jail that senator. They're the criminals in this scenario.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Affi posted:

It's really not, special branch are good peoples but senator warcrimes is not our boss. We all decided not to deal with the triumvir and they went behind our backs.

I say loving lock them, board them and jail that senator. They're the criminals in this scenario.

Are we in charge of Special Branch? Because if not and if they cut their own deal with the man that's absolutely within their power to do, and boarding them for it would make us the criminals.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
We should contact Special Branch in any event, just in case that was the Triumvir hijacking Special Branch's ship

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Dear loving god, let's not declare war on our own spec ops division, people! Have a word with and confirm seizure of the Triumvir, absolutely, start throwing around the clout of having just managed to bring Titan into the Martian Republic to make it clear that the Triumvir bastard deserves a public trial and indefinite prison sentence, maybe, but don't get insane with them. We're riding a wave right now and let's not piss that away.

Not to mention without SB we'd have had a harder time in the run up to the battles of Titan and there's a good chance we wouldn't have a good number of the sorium harvesters due to those suicide nukes, either...

TheWetFish posted:

We should contact Special Branch in any event, just in case that was the Triumvir hijacking Special Branch's ship

Also a drat good point

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Affi posted:

No.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Please no one listen to this terrible "provoke infighting between the navy and the spy agency" plan.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I mean, it's actually not the worst idea... waking up this morning the thought just randomly popped into my head that if we went and got him back, opening up a feed with whoever's in charge of the BC fleet about to push our poo poo in and pressing a gun to the Triumvir's head might make them pause and even turn around if we threaten loudly enough.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

Crazycryodude posted:

I mean, it's actually not the worst idea...

Yes it is

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Edit: I'm assuming that the SB ship transmitted "donkey balls" on the way out. Please don't start interservice infighting.

Tactical_Torpedo
Feb 26, 2017

When all else fails?

FIRE EVERYTHING!

Then bravely run away.
Grimey Drawer
We don't even need to threaten the IC fleet directly, just inform them that one of our ships is holding them prisoner. Hopefully it could give them pause for thought.
If only we HAD the head honcho :(

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Another Otter posted:

Can I also be placed in another fighter Saros?

If it's not too much trouble could said ship be renamed "Nickel Ogre" for ease of identification in my sudden but inevitable death for the future of Mars.

Looks like you and I have CIC positions, not actual fighter jocks. We tell the nuggets what to engage.

Can I get a proxy fighter, the wing leaders ship called Bigbys Slapping Hand.

Affi posted:

Holy crap is it tense reading an update knowing the harvesters might go up in flame at any moment.

They did worse than go up in flames. They voluntarily emptied their tanks into space. All that captured fuel now making a ring around Titan.

Gridlocked posted:

Ok so we've lost the IC leader. Could have gone better, but at least Titan is falling.
We have not lost him. He'll turn up in a foxhole somewhere near New Quebec.
Or he's already been found by some troop of bad asses and hauled up to the SB ship.

Which on that note. Don't loving attack our own special forces.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Triumvir either A) got scooped up by an SB black ops team, in which case lol he isn't gonna have a fun time or B) Cut a separate deal with Senator Warcrimes which is for sure a way, way worse deal for him than he asked us for. I would put money on Senator Warcrimes having double crossed him in that case as well.

No matter what, unless it's a fake SB ship, a captured one, or Senator warcrimes is a secret Bad Guy all along, the Triumvir is in for a very unpleasant trip. Let's not go starting a loving civil war because of some black ops teams doing obviously black ops stuff.

Another Otter
May 14, 2012

Kommando posted:

They did worse than go up in flames. They voluntarily emptied their tanks into space. All that captured fuel now making a ring around Titan.

Will this have an impact on Sorium harvesting operations in the future? Not sure how quickly it will diffuse out into space but surely transport vessels might run a risk of igniting it in Low-Titan-Orbit with their engines?

e: Titan not Saturn

Another Otter fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 1, 2017

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!

Another Otter posted:

Will this have an impact on Sorium harvesting operations in the future? Not sure how quickly it will diffuse out into space but surely transport vessels might run a risk of igniting it in Low-Saturn-Orbit with their engines?

Discord suggested having the TFS lock down the Harvesters and vent the tanks as a safety precaution. The Trimvir's response to our request of a bomb location as proof tipped their hand that showing one bomb would leave us with "50% of production capacity." With possibly only 1 bomb per harvester we figured it would either need to be really, really big and easier to locate, or it was hidden among some critical or dangerous locations.

Venting any potential sources of secondary explosions (sorium tanks, dumping core, etc.) we hoped would minimize the threat and potentially leave us with a crippled harvester, not a destroyed one.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Another Otter posted:

Will this have an impact on Sorium harvesting operations in the future? Not sure how quickly it will diffuse out into space but surely transport vessels might run a risk of igniting it in Low-Saturn-Orbit with their engines?

I doubt it'll really be a long-term problem, space is huge and the sorium will diffuse to nothing. It'll sure as hell affect short-term prices as supply goes through the floor, though. Earth probably won't be happy, but they'd be even less happy if the nukes had gone off and ruined the things. I think dumping all the volatiles was the right call, just to be super safe if the nukes were in fact real (apparently they weren't/Triumvir didn't have the balls, but oh well).

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Goons never cease to amaze me about the detail level they tend to adapt to when trying to solve problems. Especially explosive based problems.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As nice as it would be to strap the triumvir to the end of one of the plasma carronades before we engage the IC fleet, I'm fine with the Martian NKVD picking him up.

But yeah maybe give them a little call just to make sure they didn't get hijacked by an IC/terran commando team and the IC didn't just steal our snoopship to get their exec out.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah that's a good call. Just dial them up and see if they say "donkey balls" or whatever the code is for "everything's fine now piss off and let us do black poo poo." If they sound like clueless IC hijackers pretending to be SB personnel, then we've got a problem.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Umm... Sorium-based fuel is not explosive. Missiles and power plants are explosive. Did you just ruin the Solar economy because you can't tell the difference between TN materials and petroleum?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

(Pretty sure that in this universe refined sorium is both very energy-dense and rather volatile. Not nitroglycerin-levels, but gasoline or so, sure. And with an energy density approaching uranium. Yeah, it doesn't blow up in-engine, but it would blow up good in the fluff)

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 1, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Odds are there are going to be much bigger orbital debris problems than a bit of fuel before this is all over. Heck you guys weren't exactly tidy when taking over the place.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

how much sorium did we lose?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Can't say I expected the TFS to just dump all that fuel.

I'm phone posting right now; could someone do me the favor of signing me up in the spreadsheet as officer RedTonic of the ship Pool Is Closed? :shobon:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Done.

Also, the battle has resumed if you want to follow live in the Discord again. Missiles about to start flying.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

3 May, 0310hrs

Near Titan space is a mess. Everyone is rushing to claim the prize but it looks like the IC is still going to arrive first.

The SB ship's sudden departure raises eyebrows but challenge-response signals sent all match up. "Donkey balls" whispers Cathode Raymond, a nasty suspicion forming in his mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9r7LNzj1xE

Twenty minutes later the Titan DSTS spots another ninety missiles, this time incoming for Titan.

Soon the Sagan can resolve them on her sensors and the fleet prepares for incoming fire.

Far away on the bridge of the Victory Cryo begins yelling about "OP IC" and "boomers."

Anti-missile missiles go out but only a dozen or so are shot down in total.

The fleet braces for impact.

Instead at the absolute last second the missiles flower outwards. Their targets are the Shipyards of Titan and not the waiting Martian fleet.

Its not pretty.

Only three slipways of the Horton Corporation survive, the rest of the shipyards disintergrate into whirling debris and wrecked ship hulls under the enormous barrage. Cries of dismay fill the fleets comnet and the populace below despairs as they see their livelyhoods and futures go up in an actinic blaze.

The one silver lining appears to be that the missile did not target the harvesters and they remain unharmed.

The IC scout that was lighting up Titan orbit turns north and moves to rejoin its comrades. The fighters, thirsty for vengance vector to intercept.

Cathode looks upon the destruction and mourns the lives lost. Frantic back and forth with the Titan Free State has established that up to a million workers were aboard the shipyards and the vast majority of them are feared dead. The scale of the destruction is such that a ring of debris is already coalescing in low orbit. 'It seems one of Saturns moons is getting her own ring' he thinks but his musing is interrupted by a command priority call.

He gestures and the Fleet Archon herself appears on his screen.

"You did it commander!" she exclaims. The normal reserved Archon is visibly excited.

"The IC's stealthed bombardment ships have been drawn off to attack Titan and we have a window where we can finally redeploy our forces away from Mars," she pauses and Cathode's mind whirls with possibilities.

"We are launching our converted ultra long range interplanetary missiles to hit strategic targets around Jupiter and the Home Fleet is breaking Mars orbit and following in behind them for a full fledged assault on Ganymede. We would have done this sooner but our hands have been tied by fear of losing more Terraforming infrastructure and exposing our civilian population."

She looks out at the might of the Martian Home fleet forming up around her before turning back to the screen.

"Fourth Fleet is being dispatched to Saturn, ETA approximately one week. Hold out until then and this war will be over for all of us."

Saros fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Nov 14, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Well, getting off their asses late is better than never getting off their asses at all.

Give 'em hell, and pin lots of medals on our freeze-dried corpses.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really hope that the home fleet has some extremely good intel on how many SSSSSSBNs the IC have and what their salvo capabilities are, because if they missed one...

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Stupid IC and their alphabet soup acronym ships

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
ASASs for short

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

I really loving hate the IC right now, because now I know there's no point to their actions other than to spite us. Fan-loving-tastic.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The funny part is that the Earth forces have no issue with these random stealth terror strikes. They're like, yeah, gently caress it, we're fine with invisible terrorists rolling around the system. What are the odds they'll ever do anything to us? Carry on!

Can we just send some tugs out to pull an asteroid out of orbit and set it on a collision course for their capital? gently caress these idiots.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah the IC is just purely spiting us before they lose. Jupiter is about to be crushed, even if they win here at Titan 3rd Fleet will clean them up 2 days later, it's a hopeless situation for the IC at this point. Actually, that might be exploitable. The war is over, the Triumvirs just don't want to accept it yet. Why do more people have to die pointlessly just to sate their pride? We'e apparently got quite the reputation among the IC, too. Saros, can we start blasting propaganda at the IC fleet attacking Titan?

Rough draft that can be cleaned up by the spooks:
"The war is over, even if you kill all of us, a lot of you guys are gonna die too, and the survivors will get captured and disappeared by the Terrans or killed by 3rd Fleet. The next paycheck is never coming, because Jupiter is 12 hours away from becoming a radioactive cinder. Why fight? Why go on? Let's just forget this poo poo and go home. We've treated defectors and prisoners nothing but great this entire war, ask the crew of this Einstein yourselves. If you guys just power down your weapons and engines, we can wait this out. You don't even have to do that. You can turn around and fly into space and we won't chase you. You don't have to be taken prisoner, you can go home, and just forget this damned war. Nobody else has to die today."

The SB has to have a zero-day exploit we can burn to play that over the IC's fleet PA or something, their entire weakness is lovely infosec. It doesn't even have to get the whole fleet here to turn around, just a Feynman or two "spontaneously" developing comm/engine problems and stopping to think it over is enough. Let them go, hell offer them amnesty and a retirement package. If they're even half as weary as we are, at least some of them will take it. Especially considering there's a moon-sized monument to the power of the proletariat and futility of the IC just a few million km away. Who the hell knows, maybe they'll even defect to the TFS. Whatever happens though, it doesn't cost us poo poo beyond some CPU cycles and a bit of electricity for the transmitters. Might as well try.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 2, 2017

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Do some Psyops like Cryo suggested. North Korea style, if possible:

https://twitter.com/uriminzok_engl/status/883369409917706240

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Look at all of you, pretending you wouldn't do the same with spite and glee if we were on the definitely losing side. :colbert:

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Crazycryodude posted:

"The war is over, even if you kill all of us, a lot of you guys are gonna die too, and the survivors will get captured and disappeared by the Terrans or killed by 3rd Fleet. The next paycheck is never coming, because Jupiter is 12 hours away from becoming a radioactive cinder. Why fight? Why go on? Let's just forget this poo poo and go home. We've treated defectors and prisoners nothing but great this entire war, ask the crew of this Einstein yourselves. If you guys just power down your weapons and engines, we can wait this out. You don't even have to do that. You can turn around and fly into space and we won't chase you. You don't have to be taken prisoner, you can go home, and just forget this damned war. Nobody else has to die today."

Hmm...lemme see if I can clean that up a bit before SB even:

"To all Interstellar Corporation ships approaching the free planet of Titan, the Martian government would like to offer you a chance at salvation.

Surely you can see that this war is as good as over. Look around; Titan has been overthrown, our forces are converging on Jupiter, and the Terrans are coming. However, your leaders seem hellbent on prosecuting this war to the bitter end no matter who gets killed in the process; simply look at the devastated Titan shipyards for proof. Now then, you have a choice.

You could continue the fight. And you will either die to our reinforcements, or the Terrans will simply erase you once they arrive. We both know that they care for nothing save the sorium.

Or you could simply lay down your arms. You need not even formally surrender; simply deactivating your ships or choosing to return to Uranus would be enough for us as we have no quarrel against you. No doubt your leaders have fed you lies about how we treat prisoners and defectors, but rest assured that we have no quarrel with the common man of the IC, only the leadership that saw fit to slaughter millions for the sake of profit. Ask any citizen of Titan or simply look at the corpses floating around said moon for proof of those words.

We ask you, not as enemies but as fellow humans: is it truly worth dying for the sake of a government that cares nothing for you or your families, and only wishes to see the solar system burn around them?

You have nothing if not your free will. The choice is yours."

frankenfreak posted:

Look at all of you, pretending you wouldn't do the same with spite and glee if we were on the definitely losing side. :colbert:

Let's not worry about hypotheticals. We're winning, and that's all that matters.

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'd like to think if we were losing, our vengeance plan would be far more grandiose and not just "we blow up a shipyard and send them a telegram that says NEENER NEENER".