Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Breaking news: panic and chaos throughout the DC area after terrorists attack the local Five Guys Burgers establishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

:vince:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

:emmeria: Brilliant.

Realbarrow
Dec 5, 2013

Psion posted:

I'm thinking about redoing the lyrics to "Blame Canada" and making it "Blame Shamrock"

it ... actually works

Interestingly, "Blame Osea" works even better! It'll probably be especially relevant come Ace Combat 7. :v:

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
So, this is my first go-around with the Ace Combat series, and it looks really fun. Crow's definitely showing off his expertise with how he tends to dance around the enemy(for the most part). It's really entertaining. And with co-commentators, the commentary is really fresh too. But yeah, the story is... It's not good, and it really doesn't portray the 'good guys' as veritable angels, does it? Is that gonna change, or is this gonna be a very ooh-rah go war kind'a game?

(I happily pay tribute to the Golden King)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Dr. Snark posted:

Like I said in the video, that's probably millions of *insert currency here* worth of damage between the destruction of the rigs and the gallons of lost oil, all during an operation to retake said oil field, and that's before you factor in environmental damage like other posters pointed out.

What the gently caress, Talisman.

Sometimes you have to destroy the country to save it. The Emmerians would agree that the stuff they bought with their tax dollars make pretty explosions, just like how my rap sheet will look better with two probations after I go dance with the angels one more time.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If command didn't want all that infrastructure destroyed, they wouldn't have made it worth so many points.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Emmerian command is Belkan infiltrators, just like everyone else's command.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lazy Bear posted:

So, this is my first go-around with the Ace Combat series, and it looks really fun. Crow's definitely showing off his expertise with how he tends to dance around the enemy(for the most part). It's really entertaining. And with co-commentators, the commentary is really fresh too. But yeah, the story is... It's not good, and it really doesn't portray the 'good guys' as veritable angels, does it? Is that gonna change, or is this gonna be a very ooh-rah go war kind'a game?

(I happily pay tribute to the Golden King)

Why did you bold Go Dance With The Angels? :confused:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Anea Landing

Mission 5: Operation Music of the Tides – January 26th, 2016
Missed Operations #3 (coming soon)

Overview: The Emmerian mainland counterattack commences. A massive landing force is steaming towards the southern port city of Ortara, home to an REAF air base and a massive off-shore oil drilling and refinery complex. Garuda Team is called on to provide air support for the Emmerian flagship Marigold and her fleet as they engage the Estovakian naval presence south of the oil rigs. Meanwhile, Warlock Battalion moves in from the coast to engage the brunt of the Estovakian ground forces farther inland in the desert, while Quox Battalion and Yellow Jacket Flight move in from the west to recapture Ortara and its local air force base.

Guest Commentator: It began initially as coincidence and blossomed into a running joke, but after being stuck for five straight games in a frozen wasteland, Dr. Snark has finally burst out into a much warmer climate, all the way to the other end of the spectrum and into the middle of a desert.

McKNIGHT
Callsign(s): N/A
Sex: Male
Nationality: Emmeria
Signature Plane: Challenger II Tank
Voice Actor: Kirk Thornton

Our third POV narrator. Well, third and a half if you count that brief interjection by that rando Emmerian pilot in Voychek’s second POV segment, anyway.

A sergeant and tank commander in the Emmerian Army serving as a part of Warlock Separate Battalion under the command of Gary Campbell.

This no eyebrow having motherfucka went SSJ3 the moment the war were declared.

TyrantSabre
Nov 4, 2009

Get close to the explosion.
:emmeria: needs to be the stupid Golden King crying, but otherwise 10/10 would dance with that icon again.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sword Hunter Gil posted:

This is a great thread and a great series of LPs, and I wanted to do my part to honor it.

A bit belated, but good stuff. You'll have to add a few verses for X and 7 later on though.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Why did you bold Go Dance With The Angels? :confused:

Because I was being a wiseacre?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Hi there. I know nothing about these games and I don't have much to contribute to conversation (mainly I'm just here to enjoy the spectacle of the thread), but I did remember something I saw a long time ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3u6l5y6VFI&t=50s

If I have to pay the tax for this, then I will graciously accept it.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

The gently caress is an angel, and why should I dance with it?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Lazy Bear posted:

You achieve the highest heights, see things you can't even imagine.:shepface:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Lazy Bear posted:

Hey, show some loving respect. We're talking about angels and dancing in here, those are two wholesome subjects that don't need that kind of negativity. Get pious and take some ballet lessons, you uncultured brute.

Also I just want it stated for the record that all of my angels-related posts in this thread are shitposts and do not fall into the category of "genuine discussion." Tax the gently caress out of me because I never want the stigma of having earnest conversation about a meme involving dancing with the angels in a poorly translated japanese game about airplanes.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Dancing with angels is high loving art, sir. Here, I'll demonstrate.

:supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

Excellent avatar/post combination.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Dancing with the angels is high concept iyam

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

I am reproved

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Well, probation is over and now I'm confident I won't fall again into saying the words "angels", "with", "dance", "the" or "go" in any way or combination.

Wait, gently caress!

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Kal-L posted:

Well, probation is over and now I'm confident I won't fall again into saying the words "angels", "with", "dance", "the" or "go" in any way or combination.

Wait, gently caress!

I'm a dunce with angles. Kind of poo poo at math.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I've reported some many people for angel dancing the forums themselves are telling me to gently caress off. Clearly the system wasn't intended for this madness.

Fix the forums, Lowtax, you loving hack.

WampaPartyEX
Jan 13, 2012

Good to see Yellow Squadron and the Kid showing up in another game, although I can't say I like the new art direction.

For a bit of serious discussion, it feels like Ace Combat 6 really doesn't want you to be the Main Character, in an almost passive-aggressive manner. Like, in 04, you were Jesus, in 5, you were Big drat Action Hero, in Zero, you were King Arthur; in 6, you're Ground Support's Flyboy. Even if you make the argument that Kei Nagase is the real main character of 5, she's still, you know, subordinate to you and her role in the story is one without agency.

In 6, at least so far, it's not only "you're not the most important person in the world," but "you're just one of this very big crowd of people affected by the war." Except you aren't really affected by the war. You're not the little girl's dad or Melissa/Matilda/Idon'tcareenougha's husband. You're not Vostyock's personal nemesis. You're not the guy playing off the tank squadron. It's like the game is trying to have its cake and eat it, too; trying to be both an impersonal war story about the way the masses react to war, and a personal war story about the cast of, let's generously call them "characters" but more realistically "cutouts," you're following.

Imagine if Talisman had been Melissa's husband. Then all of these things make a lot more sense - Vostyock's connection to Daughter and Wife becomes a more personal and touching moment for you as you unpack Talisman's distant relationship with his family and his duty coming before them in all things; Daughter and Wife become actual characters coping with the tension between Talisman and them as Talisman becomes more and more lynchpin in a war that they know is important; Tank Guys become actual characters when their paths inevitably cross with Daughter during their robbery.

It feels very much like another case of this game trying to achieve something it wasn't capable of achieving. I don't think they were lax or rushed on the story; I think they were trying to tell a narrative that the game simply couldn't support once they made the decision to stick to one part of the Ace Combat formula (Faceless Protagonist) and departed from every other thing that made the Golden Trilogy strong (a powerful central narrative, arc words that applied to the main character). It's kind of a shame; it would be a lot more interesting to give Talisman a face and a voice of his own so that you, the player, could interact with the narrative more directly.

EDIT: To be really clear, I've played exactly one mission of this game before (and it was the first one, and I sucked at it) and I'm mostly just guessing about Daughter and Tank Crew, so if these are spoilers, I have no idea.

WampaPartyEX fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 5, 2017

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

TyrantSabre posted:

:emmeria: needs to be the stupid Golden King crying, but otherwise 10/10 would dance with that icon again.

Thank you for the critique! I've made more it Emmerian now. Wasn't too sure which version of the Golden King would be best.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Being forced to deal with this "Angel Dance" crap all the time from civilians who aren't lifting a one drat finger to help liberate the country they claim to love oh-so-much is more than enough to justify Talisman's homicidal behavior. Also, Shamrock physically blocking his lead's missiles from hitting their target makes him more treacherous than Pixy.

The real story of the Golden King probably has similar roots, with some crazy awesome cavalry general probably spending several months fighting with scorched earth tactics, hit-and-runs, and hunting down enemy officers whenever they went out to try and stop him and/or scout the area. Thanks to his efforts, the enemy army was reduced to shambles, and the leading general set out to try and kill the person responsible, resulting in some awesome duel, presumably with the enemy general having some prototype monster repeating crossbow.

While that was going on, the Golden King was dragging out his ridiculous golden armor, army in tow: the enemy saw that creepy smile on the armor and assumed it was their own general, who must have been captured and brutally murdered by pouring gold onto him via a metal cast, prompting them to surrender. By the time the invading general was killed by the heroic defender, the Golden King had gotten all the credit for winning without battle among the actual population.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

If the Golden King wants his drat tax he can go dance with the angels! All of you can go dance with the angels! The angels can go dance with themselves!

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
this is bullshit :trustme:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

his nibs posted:

this is bullshit :trustme:

You're telling me. Fukkin police brutality getting swept up in the Tax raids.

Because of this the Mission 6 video will be delayed till tonight.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This never would have happened if crow and sally were mods

We'd have all been perma-banned if they were.:getin:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I, on the other hand, think the mods aren't being brutal enough. I can count three separate instances of blatant tax evasion from my person alone, and I'm sure others in this thread have been allowed to fester in their law-breaking with no repercussion.

Stop letting us be criminals, mods :(

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
We are the pilots of Ace Combat 7.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I think the mods should go Dance with the Angels :argh:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

You're telling me. Fukkin police brutality getting swept up in the Tax raids.

Because of this the Mission 6 video will be delayed till tonight.

these taxes go to build more severs ports posts in the forums

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

Cool it, convicts. I decide whether you post or not.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

We're fighting dreamers who danced with angels.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Cool it, convicts. I decide whether you post or not.

Ace Combat 7 will only be a worthy new entry if some random Emmerian gulag pilot screams GO DANCE WITH THE ANGELS at that guy and dives directly into the inevitable rival squadron

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

What kind of dance do angels do? Do they Charleston? Hustle? THE ROBOT?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Lazy Bear posted:

What kind of dance do angels do? Do they Charleston? Hustle? THE ROBOT?!

We settled this actually

Psycho Landlord posted:

the Holy Hand Jive :colbert:

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 6, 2017