Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

WHOOPS posted:

It's just a lovely way to dismiss people wanting to see more content in Audibles at the Line, even if it's not as bad as the DVOA stuff.

I like Audibles, but it doesn't seems more like bonus content, so I can see why they'd want to avoid putting more time/money into it each week.

On the "good content" side, Word of Muth is a fantastic column

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Kalli posted:

Schatz lives a few blocks away from me, which is kind of weird.

I live pretty close to Tanier, seems like a decent fella when I talk to him.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
LA RAMS

COME SEE OUR PUNTER

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Diqnol posted:

I live pretty close to Tanier, seems like a decent fella when I talk to him.

Yeah I read a lot of his stuff, he seems to appreciate the absurdity of switching careers from highschool teacher to making foot jokes about Rex Ryan

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

TheChirurgeon posted:

I like Audibles, but it doesn't seems more like bonus content, so I can see why they'd want to avoid putting more time/money into it each week.

On the "good content" side, Word of Muth is a fantastic column

Yeah, Word of Muth is fantastic if you care about Offensive line play at all, it's a great read to get an idea of just how complicated blocking is.

Any Given Sunday is solid for a more indepth breakdown of how some random upset happened. Like today's is about what the hell happened to the Texans and the Jags offense actually... has a plan.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Amy Pole Her posted:

LA RAMS

COME SEE OUR PUNTER

You're not a real NFL fan unless you've loved your punter more than any other player on the team for at least one season.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Grittybeard posted:

You're not a real NFL fan unless you've loved your punter more than any other player on the team for at least one season.

I miss Mike Scifres

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Grittybeard posted:

Three-time Seahawks offensive MVP Jon Ryan was our greatest weapon last week

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
There's like an inverse relationship between how good the number crunching is and how good the website is. You'd think computer nerds would be able to make a damned website, or like have a buddy that can do that, but no.

FO has mostly reasonable 2010-era analysis on a 1996-era website with an aggressive snot-green color palette and no mobile support.

Rotoviz only shows 4 articles at a time and their search functionality looks like this (with no discernible order and no ability to sort):

So good loving luck finding anything older than 6 hours.

Numberfire is slicker-looking with worse analysis and breaks every article into multi-page slideshows to inflate ad revenue.

FootballPerspectives is the best, with a completely batshit design. They have a banner that extends the entire page but is mostly invisible:

And this is the button to go to the previous page of articles:

They also tag all of their articles into categories but have no way of searching these tags or seeing a database of tags. But it's the best numbers site I know of.

Tellingly, PFF has a slick as hell interface. I rest my case.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Grittybeard posted:

I have an old Britton Colquitt jersey lying around somewhere

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Grittybeard posted:

Where do fullbacks go in this ranking? I love my fullback :c00lbert:

e: also I love Butt

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Johnny Hekker owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ_tHqMVRzw

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Fullbacks are up there too (come back Tony Richardson).

To ascend to the next level you should also attribute way too much of a team's success or failure to your longsnapper. Or the exact right amount if you're the 2010ish Chargers.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

3 DONG HORSE posted:

If you don't love a good fullback then you don't love football.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

It was pretty cool when the Patriots let Zoltan Mesko--which is the name of the demon whose soul Belichick is bound to--inhabit flesh and punt for a few years.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Oh man, since we're getting into lovely football website designs, you know who's the most inexcusable offender? Rotoworld. Try reading a paginated article on your phone on that bad boy.

At least Football Outsiders is something of a low-key operation; Rotoworld is owned by NBC!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/evansilva/status/907907399327117317

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2017/09/13/the-nfl-has-an-offensive-line-crisis

quote:

A lack of offensive production isn’t an inherent problem. The problem is the nature of how offenses have bogged down. It is one thing for a stout defense to thwart passable offensive execution. It is another when defensive lines are shoving offensive linemen five yards into the backfield and ruining any semblance of offensive play design. It makes games painful to watch — it stops looking like football and starts looking like survival. In too many games, possessions unfolded as spasms of panic capped with a punt.

“The overall product itself is not of the quality I’m used to seeing, that I grew up watching,” Seattle wide receiver Doug Baldwin said in an interview on SiriusXM. “As far as a solution, I have no idea. I’m interested to see what happens, because I do believe a quality drop-off has happened.”

quote:

Atrocious offensive line play, in many ways, harms the viewing experience more than terrible quarterback play. A cruddy quarterback behind an adequate line will make bad decisions and poor throws and fail to score points, but those mistakes occur within the flow of an otherwise pleasant game. An adequate quarterback behind a horrible line doesn’t even have the chance to initiate what fans would recognize as football. He’s just engulfed by chaos.

Amidst declining ratings...

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fsif posted:

Oh man, since we're getting into lovely football website designs, you know who's the most inexcusable offender? Rotoworld. Try reading a paginated article on your phone on that bad boy.

At least Football Outsiders is something of a low-key operation; Rotoworld is owned by NBC!

Rotoworld has the design sensibilities of the lowest bidder for a government website.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

QBs handcuffing salary caps probably doesn't do teams any favors.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
I normally hate the argument used to explain why QBs suck nowadays, the whole "the spread game makes them unprepared for the pros and QB play was totally better 20/30/whatever years ago" (in reality the league has always proportionally had the same general ratio of elite, good to great and everything else QBs). That being said, I do really wonder if it has a lot to do with the general decline of o-line play...

I don't know, i'm just spitballing. I only know as little as most.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Conventional wisdom is that in highschool and college the best athletes are put into offensive roles, and if you're not good enough you end up playing defense. But maybe that isn't true for linemen anymore.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Maybe the NFL needs an actual developmental league with coaches that coach NFL-style offenses and techniques

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Conventional wisdom is that in highschool and college the best athletes are put into offensive roles, and if you're not good enough you end up playing defense. But maybe that isn't true for linemen anymore.

The OL is basically defense, when you think about it. The best athletes on the line usually go onto the defensive line where they can attack the quarterback.

Cash Monet posted:

I'm not so sure this is the problem given that most linemen aren't paid very much compared to skill positions, and that you don't see more than a couple teams in any given year that has elite players at every position. The '16 Cowboys were an outlier.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

i never played football but i can't imagine all that many kids really dream at night of being an offensive lineman

defensive line at least gets to sack the qb if things go really right. offensive line, if you do your job...well, nothing cool happens. it seems like where people wind up who are big but aren't good enough to play the positions they'd rather play.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

SKULL.GIF posted:

The OL is basically defense, when you think about it.

I love it

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

One thing with olinemen to remember is that virtually none of them went into football to play it.

NFL caliber athletes tended to be insane when they were kids, and were Quarterbacks / Running backs / Defensive Ends until some point in high school or college when they found out they weren't baller enough to do that, and ended up as oline as a last resort.

NFL Tackles need to be tall, fast and have great footwork to stand a chance, and there just aren't that many of those guys in the world that aren't also baller enough to not be defensive linemen instead.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SKULL.GIF posted:

The OL is basically defense, when you think about it. The best athletes on the line usually go onto the defensive line where they can attack the quarterback.

I wonder if the proliferation of the passing game comes into this a little bit. You're right that the DL gets to attack, but in the running game the OL can be and traditionally was the the one attacking.

Now a lot of the league and most of college has gone to zone blocking which, while effective, isn't as satisfying for a kid as just trying to maul the guy in front of you.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Grittybeard posted:

Fullbacks are up there too (come back Tony Richardson).

To ascend to the next level you should also attribute way too much of a team's success or failure to your longsnapper. Or the exact right amount if you're the 2010ish Chargers.

I'm triggered

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Offensive lineman diets are also gross as gently caress.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

I wonder if the proliferation of the passing game comes into this a little bit. You're right that the DL gets to attack, but in the running game the OL can be and traditionally was the the one attacking.

Now a lot of the league and most of college has gone to zone blocking which, while effective, isn't as satisfying for a kid as just trying to maul the guy in front of you.

There's a ton of anecdotes in Howard Mudd's book from players, and even the old hall of famers were like... yeah, I liked to kill the quarterback, but I was slow, so my coach made me play guard.. and then you'd glance up and realize that was like Alan Faneca or some other hall of famer.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

SKULL.GIF posted:

Is that you, Tom Cable?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Cash Monet posted:

gently caress that noise, the owners are the ones demanding the caps

"oh boo hoo hoo I'd sure like to pay these offensive line fellas more if only it weren't for this SELFISH GLORY BOY QUARTERBACK demanding all this money taking up all of the allotted cap that I vehemently fought to put in place and keep low"

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm not so sure this is the problem given that most linemen aren't paid very much compared to skill positions, and that you don't see more than a couple teams in any given year that has elite players at every position. The '16 Cowboys were an outlier.

Wasn't this past offseason one where a bunch of mediocre/bad o-linemen got huge contracts from desperate teams? I think it's just a talent shortage.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fsif posted:

Wasn't this past offseason one where a bunch of mediocre/bad o-linemen got huge contracts from desperate teams? I think it's just a talent shortage.

Matt Kalil and Reilly Reiff got huge contracts from the Panthers and Lions respectively to fix some horrific problems.

The Browns also signed a few guys for massive money to fix their ol as well.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
You know, I wonder how much of Seattle's oline can be pinned on Schneider. When he was with the Packers the oline was similarly trash.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fsif posted:

The biggest difference I noticed was interior linemen getting paid.

I started off being horrified at what the Chiefs gave to Duvarney-Tardif (a guard) and ended up going...well if he keeps developing that's going to be a good deal. Relatively at least.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Are there even 32 'starter-quality' players in the NFL at any given position?

DariusLikewise posted:

Maybe the NFL needs an actual developmental league with coaches that coach NFL-style offenses and techniques

There's no real money in that though. The quality of football play from a spectator perspective takes a serious nose-dive as player quality goes down. It gets ugly quickly.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Taerkar posted:

There's no real money in that though. The quality of football play from a spectator perspective takes a serious nose-dive as player quality goes down. It gets ugly quickly.

The money printing machine that is the NCAA kind of disagrees with this analysis.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TheChirurgeon posted:

gently caress that noise, the owners are the ones demanding the caps

"oh boo hoo hoo I'd sure like to pay these offensive line fellas more if only it weren't for this SELFISH GLORY BOY QUARTERBACK demanding all this money taking up all of the allotted cap that I vehemently fought to put in place and keep low"

One situation where I can rest easy knowing that Jerry Jones hates the salary cap. Dallas may have a lich king for an owner, but if there's one true thing about Jerry Jones is that he has no loving problem with outspending everyone on the way to a title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Taerkar posted:

Are there even 32 'starter-quality' players in the NFL at any given position?

Depends on how you define "starter-quality" (#1? #1 and #2?) but I'd wager receiver is probably one. There are a lot of really good receivers.

• Locked thread