Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Bisco's is a really awkward item. It's way too good to not use while at the same time being way too bad to actually use. I personally decided to pretend it doesn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

everything with 6l is expensive, lioneye's is pretty common

What I mean is the weird evening out of prices at high level. Like, your average non-6L QotF is gonna be worth gently caress all. Your average non-6L Belly is still worth a decent chunk of change. But that price difference doesn't scale up to 6L, and instead stays constant. The ~30c gap in price between QotF and Belly doesn't become 5ex at 6L or whatever, but instead stays at about 30c which is a huge deal when you can get QotF for a few jeweler orbs, but relatively chump change when you're talking about literally hundreds of chaos orbs worth of currency in a single transaction.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Looking at my lioneye's, it has good rolls for flat damage and % damage but minimum roll for attack speed, lol

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Tarezax posted:

Looking at my lioneye's, it has good rolls for flat damage and % damage but minimum roll for attack speed, lol

Apparently 330+ DPS is where it starts being more than worthless, and 340+ DPS is where it starts costing quite a bit.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

AnonSpore posted:

What I mean is the weird evening out of prices at high level. Like, your average non-6L QotF is gonna be worth gently caress all. Your average non-6L Belly is still worth a decent chunk of change. But that price difference doesn't scale up to 6L, and instead stays constant. The ~30c gap in price between QotF and Belly doesn't become 5ex at 6L or whatever, but instead stays at about 30c which is a huge deal when you can get QotF for a few jeweler orbs, but relatively chump change when you're talking about literally hundreds of chaos orbs worth of currency in a single transaction.

6 linking an item, on average, takes the same amount of money regardless of the item. it's also hard capped by the price of 1500 fusings, because at that point you can just buy an unlinked one and force it with vorici. it makes sense that generally, a 6link item is going to be the base cost of the item + ~1k-1.5k fusings

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

TheRat posted:

Bisco's is a really awkward item. It's way too good to not use while at the same time being way too bad to actually use. I personally decided to pretend it doesn't exist.

Think of it as a challenge mode, get no combat stats from 1 item slot, get increased quantity of drops.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

terrified of my bathroom posted:

6 linking an item, on average, takes the same amount of money regardless of the item. it's also hard capped by the price of 1500 fusings, because at that point you can just buy an unlinked one and force it with vorici. it makes sense that generally, a 6link item is going to be the base cost of the item + ~1k-1.5k fusings

Well yeah, but to me it's like, if a Belly is ~30 times more valuable than a QotF in its "base" state, why is it only marginally more valuable than a QotF in its best state? I guess there's something to be said for all the endgame builds that use QotF with flask stacking to move at lightspeed, but otoh it's not like Belly's massive 40% life boost doesn't get any less massive at high gearing levels.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Probably has to do with how many variables there are, if throwing a divine orb on a bad unique only has to make a single stat go from lowest to highest it's not so bad, if you need 4+ stats to all high roll then your gonna be using a lot of divine orbs.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

AnonSpore posted:

Well yeah, but to me it's like, if a Belly is ~30 times more valuable than a QotF in its "base" state, why is it only marginally more valuable than a QotF in its best state? I guess there's something to be said for all the endgame builds that use QotF with flask stacking to move at lightspeed, but otoh it's not like Belly's massive 40% life boost doesn't get any less massive at high gearing levels.

you're missing my point. the difference between the items stays the same in terms of a flat amount because both items gain the same amount of value by being six linked. assuming 30c belly and 2:1 fusing:chaos, a vorici 6l belly is worth 30c + (1500x0.5) or 780c. a vorici 6l qotf would be 1alc + (1500x0.5) or 750c. theres no reason why belly would become exponentially more expensive, or qotf would be significantly cheaper because they are both having approx. the same amount of currency spent on them. has nothing to do with the power of the item

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

AnonSpore posted:

The dude above already explained it but if the minimum cost of a 6L is for example, a thousand fusings, then it's not really a big deal wether the base item costs 10c versus 25c. The majority of the cost comes from the 6L, which has a huge amount of intrinsic value.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

you're missing my point. the difference between the items stays the same in terms of a flat amount because both items gain the same amount of value by being six linked. assuming 30c belly and 2:1 fusing:chaos, a vorici 6l belly is worth 30c + (1500x0.5) or 780c. a vorici 6l qotf would be 1alc + (1500x0.5) or 750c. theres no reason why belly would become exponentially more expensive, or qotf would be significantly cheaper because they are both having approx. the same amount of currency spent on them. has nothing to do with the power of the item

Yeah, that makes sense. I guess in my head I was seeing it as a multiplicative thing instead of an additive one.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

6 links add increased value.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
just completely coincidentally, both my characters have been characters that somehow cheat the need for an expensive 6-link (SRS can use that divination card for a 6L staff, whispering ice doesn't care) so this entire conversation has been something of a sticker shock for me

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Would it be possible to get a guild invite? I'm getting bored playing solo

IGN: ChairyPeeWee

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Think of it as a challenge mode, get no combat stats from 1 item slot, get increased quantity of drops.

I stopped using it just because I've used it on every character I've made in the last 2 leagues and pretending an entire item slot doesn't exist for 2 leagues got kind of boring, there are many less tedious or alternate ways to make money than relying on currency drops adding up once you get your initial bankroll and if you understand end-game gearing.

It did teach me to play without life/resists on my amulet which is cool and opens up a whole lot of options. Like Bloodgrip for example, which I never would have considered before my Bisco's days but which I now consider to be really drat good.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 14, 2017

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

TheRat posted:

Ah just like your approach with Zerker

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah I mean I'll be very surprised if berserker and Bisco's aren't nerfed/changed in 3.1.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

A. What's the ranking of best movement skills? I'm a two-handed slayer, for what that matters.

B. I feel like I've hit a wall with my gear. Profile: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/eschatoned/characters Character 'cyberermom" Here's the build I'm working from: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1859077

When I look at the items he's got equipped and what I've got, the differences seem to be 1. 6l, 2. Kaom's Heart, 3. Atziri's Acuity. The rest of it is basically the same. I could buy a Taste of Hate I guess, and of course the Kaom's Heart. He specifically says that you should try to get Acuity before getting 6l. So then it becomes a question of is it worth it to drop ~400c on a Heart when I could be saving that for an Acuity?

It basically feels like the only meaningful upgrade is the Heart, and it's possibly not even worth buying and instead saving my dough for Acuity.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

The Wonder Weapon posted:

A. What's the ranking of best movement skills? I'm a two-handed slayer, for what that matters.

Shield Charge >>>>>>>>>>>> Whirling Blades > Leap Slam > Flame Dash > Lightning Warp

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

flame dash is really good for lab

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shield Charge >>>>>>>>>>>> Whirling Blades > Leap Slam > Flame Dash > Lightning Warp

So, how is he going to Shield Charge with a two-handed weapon?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

400% movespeed is better than all of these

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got my first 5L of the league earlier but it's a strength armor with a 100+ and I have an arc witch. That and the fact I have jack poo poo for resistance in my slots means I'm probably gonna turn off solo selffind even though that's how I normally play and I want, uh, whatever you get for checking that box

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

cinci zoo sniper posted:

So, how is he going to Shield Charge with a two-handed weapon?

i blanked on the 2h, but in general thats correct

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Shield Charge is great without speed investment but if you're a caster lightning warp with the right support gems is often just as fast and can jump over poo poo. And with enough attack speed leap slam is incredibly fast, you're not going to catch a 4 or 5 aps leap slam without a ton of investment. Whirling blades is strictly worse than leap slam for general movement, taking almost twice as long to go less distance.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

dis astranagant posted:

Shield Charge is great without speed investment but if you're a caster lightning warp with the right support gems is often just as fast and can jump over poo poo. And with enough attack speed leap slam is incredibly fast, you're not going to catch a 4 or 5 aps leap slam without a ton of investment. Whirling blades is strictly worse than leap slam for general movement, taking almost twice as long to go less distance.

Leapslam has always felt really awful to me, i didn't realize it went further than WB

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Leapslam seems to have weird target lock issues

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Leapslam needs to be shift-attacked to not feel awful

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Yea, only time leapslam felt good to me was when i started doing the num lock trick which has its own annoying problems

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Leap slam has always felt better to me than shield charge. I realize I'm in the minority here, but just wanted to throw that out there.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Leapslam has always felt really awful to me, i didn't realize it went further than WB

I did some testing in my hideout while waiting for Harbinger to start and Leap Slam goes about one of the big tiles in Elreon hideouts farther than Whirling Blades. And has 1.4 second base speed instead of whirling blade's 2.6.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Very high attack speed on leap slam feels great. Basically, leap slam has an inherently high draw up and draw down speed, which locks you in place until you start moving. High attack speed diminishes that into nothing, and you can blast through areas with jumpable terrain. The big open areas in lab (mansion passage) could be completed almost instantly.

Whirling blades feels okay at lower attack speeds, because there's no draw up time. And there's a way of removing the draw down time: aim closer to your feet, and that short time you're rooted just about disappears. Whirling also feels good in indoors areas with lots of doors and passageways, as you slide along obstacles, instead of stopping flat like what happens with leap slam or shield charge.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Dance Officer posted:

Hey goons I am a stupid fucker. I would like to make a CI character with a chaos damage skill that's focused around bossing. So far I've figured Death's Oath might be a good armor, and to grab every ES node ever. Any suggestions?

bad idea, your chest is usually your biggest ES source (for CI) and Death's Oath sucks in that regard

"CI" and "focussed around bossing" and "chaos" probably means you're gonna have to go Coccultist DP unless you have lots money to throw at a fancy Trickster/Occultist ED build

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

bad idea, your chest is usually your biggest ES source (for CI) and Death's Oath sucks in that regard

"CI" and "focussed around bossing" and "chaos" probably means you're gonna have to go Coccultist DP unless you have lots money to throw at a fancy Trickster/Occultist ED build

Okay, no Death's Oath. I just worked out a build and would like ideas on things to improve and how expensive it will be.

https://pastebin.com/ph4r5TdE

Dance Officer fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Sep 14, 2017

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dance Officer posted:

It turns out a dude named VA_Harbinger apparently owns almost all of the 350+ DPS 6L Lioneye's Glares r/n

That dude also offered me 15 ex on my alt storm cloud, to which he openly said he was "interested in flipping".

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i blanked on the 2h, but in general thats correct

I'll still disagree, but it is fun on wide, open maps, sure.

Duskfiend
Apr 5, 2011

Awwwk! Awwwk!
Did they just nerf CI on 3.0? Where are the good ES nodes that were behind it?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
It was like two 8% es nodes and then a 15% more es node.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Duskfiend posted:

Did they just nerf CI on 3.0? Where are the good ES nodes that were behind it?

To say they needed it is putting it kindly, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

TheRat posted:

LeapslamEvery single movement skill needs to be shift-attacked to not feel awful

Generally there are 4 things I want out of a movement skill - going fast, dodging one-shots, bypassing walls/holes and triggering fortify. For me, leap slam with very high attack speed is great for all 4, but that requires a certain type of build. Shield charge is great for going fast and triggering fortify, but requires a secondary movement skill to bypass scenery and isn't quite fast enough without significant support (imo) to dodge attacks. Still, I like shield charge enough that I shoehorn a shield into some builds. Level 1 flame dash is great because you can throw it on literally any character without support and it's fast enough to dodge attacks and lets you bypass scenery, but it sucks for going fast due to charges and can't proc fortify. I often use it as a secondary movement skill paired with shield charge. Lightning warp has some marginal gimmick use in that it's so drat slow you can cast it then open a strongbox in complete safety.

gently caress whirling blades. It's horrible to use - it's got that awful delay at the end where you just kinda stand there not doing poo poo, it has a minimum distance, doesn't go very far and most importantly, fails if there's so much as a small pebble between you and your target location. It can be supported to the point it's a decent go-fast skill, I suppose, but that requires heavy investment in my experience. This skill was super popular a couple of leagues ago and I've never understood why. I hate playing builds where this is the obvious movement skill choice.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Leap slam, no question. You should have enough attack speed that it's super fast, so ticks all the boxes. If you weren't a slayer it might be dangerous jumping over traps, but slayers get bleed immunity.