Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
I've been watching some of Milkandcookies TW and he seems fairly chill, if prone to the occasional stupid moment on the strategic layer.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer Hall Putz
Sep 10, 2005

Unpleasent snacking

Stephen9001 posted:

I already admitted that he seemed to prove dismissing the phoenix for more archers was the mechanically optimal choice (he's certainly good at the game) but that I believed the decision meant he was terminally boring. So yeah, watch Legend if you want mechanically (near) optimal play, but the rest of us get to acknowledge how soulless such play is.

You never see people upload legendary campaigns where they hosed up and died, because High Elf replenishment sucks and the 20% health phoenix ended up doing it's best dead parrot impression after being shot to death. It's fun to explore the game on very hard sometimes, and play with silly army compositions (Gelt's artillery army :mmmhmm: ). I'd rather do that myself than watch someone else do it though.

DO IT TO IT posted:

Heir of Carthage and PartyElite are the only TW youtubers worth watching.

Heir of Carthage is legitimately terrible (both on the campaign and battle maps). He seems utterly obsessed with his Lothern Sea Guard and spends most of his time broke as gently caress. I'm still watching because I have a week off work and more Warhammer content :f5:, but gently caress me he's awful. How do you forget that your opponent has a second mortar.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

BillBear posted:

Isn't Turin not only good, but he also isn't boring or a complete rear end in a top hat.

yes Turin is A+, very chill

Party Elite also very good, rather serious but in a good way

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

My hot take is that Turin and PartyElite are the best, milkandcookies is decent and everyone else can hit the road!!

Heirofcarthage's obsession with lothern sea guard hurt me too fellow goon

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Did they make any changes to how the AI uses agents?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Yeah, Turin and PartyElite are the only dedicated TW streamers worth watching. Everyone else is either insane or boring.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Sounds like the final battle in the vortex campaign is really underwhelming difficulty wise which would be a bit of a disappointment (apparently you can just attack move in a blob if you have a good stack prepared which you will). At least the narrative stuff seems solid.

Wish CA would balance the final battles around the player actually bringing the best they got instead of assuming that you are bringing a balanced stack like if it was a multiplayer game. The DLC warhammer 1 campaigns had the same issue.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

BillBear posted:

Isn't Turin not only good, but he also isn't boring or a complete rear end in a top hat.

turin is a fun haver and will do gimmicks

Beer Hall Putz
Sep 10, 2005

Unpleasent snacking
'The best they got' against an AI is always an army of giants (or equivalent), so final battles are always going to be fairly one sided.

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013

Psycho Landlord posted:

Yeah, Turin and PartyElite are the only dedicated TW streamers worth watching. Everyone else is either insane or boring.

I can vouch for milkandcookiesTW as well. Besides the good lore videos he seems like a very chill dude, the negative nitpicking gets annoying. I just want information. Don't know much about his SP or MP videos but his lore and speculation uploads are great.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I watched a couple videos on PartyElites YouTube channel of the online battles in tw:w2, it looks really fun. Will this game be worth buying if all I want to do is play those types of matches?

Do the online lobbies generally devolve into constant queues into cheesy broken builds?

Game looks awesome, almost like what I'd imagine a digital version of the table top game to look like.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

https://www.youtube.com/user/maximusnorvegicus this guy was good back in the day, didnt seem to be a racist or anything either. he seems to have stopped updating a year ago though but when TW:WH came out he was MUCH better at figuring out the actual balance of the game than Creative Assembley was.
There was some enjoyable stuff he showed off when the game was newly out like all monsters being garbage compared to regular empire spearmen APART from Empire demigryphs who would own any unit in the game with the sole exception of chosen halberds, or the beastmen Devolve spell being the most powerful spell in the game by a huge margin, capable of half-hitting a whole army if you got lucky.

I've been playing the absolute poo poo out of the latest release of Divide et Impera for Rome 2 so I'm kinda worried I've spoiled myself on this game now im used to more depth. (plus its a recent development but i genuinely think classical antiquity is a cooler setting with sweeter factions than warhammer) but i'm still super hyped.
Kinda disappointed Skaven aren't getting the roster I would most want but I'm a huge skaven fan and probably would be disappointed with anything apart from my fevered imaginings (giant blocks of trash with optional weapon platforms and I don't care for Queek or Skrolk as characters) and lizardmen and delves are cool factions.

I'll probably play delves or lizards first until the inevitable skaven campaign buff patch.

Beer Hall Putz
Sep 10, 2005

Unpleasent snacking
ElichTV (on Twitch) is worth watching. He's gotten early access fairly late, but has actually managed to keep ahead of the AI on rituals during his first campaign, and has done an excellent job of understanding the lizardmen.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

always be closing posted:

I watched a couple videos on PartyElites YouTube channel of the online battles in tw:w2, it looks really fun. Will this game be worth buying if all I want to do is play those types of matches?

Do the online lobbies generally devolve into constant queues into cheesy broken builds?

Game looks awesome, almost like what I'd imagine a digital version of the table top game to look like.

Really the only cheesy broken builds are ones that are not fun to play against and in 250 hours of multiplayer I've only seen them a handful of times. Games that I disconnect immediately are 1)all gyro-copter dwarf army and 2)almost all flying wood elf army with hidden heroes. I've put probably 80% of my time into multiplayer in all the total war games, so I'd say it is worth it. I've also put more time in singleplayer Warhammer than any Total War title since Napoleon. 1v1 quick matches take like 2 minutes to find a game.

You could also just buy a cdkey for the first game ($25) to test out the multiplayer, it's fully integrated with Warhammer 2.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 27, 2017

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beer Hall Putz posted:

ElichTV (on Twitch) is worth watching. He's gotten early access fairly late, but has actually managed to keep ahead of the AI on rituals during his first campaign, and has done an excellent job of understanding the lizardmen.

Been watching him this evening. He knows what he's doing without being annoying about it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

MP isn't super popular and there are some cheese builds, but you can usually get a game and there's a discord full of goons who do MP- we just finished up a tournament, in fact

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Just let the next TW have a multiplayer campaign that was involved as Shogun 2 :ohdear:

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

DO IT TO IT posted:

Heir of Carthage and PartyElite are the only TW youtubers worth watching.

what the crap is going on what the crap is

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

MP isn't super popular and there are some cheese builds, but you can usually get a game and there's a discord full of goons who do MP- we just finished up a tournament, in fact

Here's the link to the discord: https://discord.gg/gjDJUpQ

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Online battles are really fun, imo. This game is pretty sophisticated as a result of combining the battle formula of Total War with the asymmetric factions of Warhammer, leading to a very diverse multiplayer experience. There's a lot to learn and loads of possible army combinations, which makes multiplayer not very welcoming to newbies, but it has held my multiplayer interest throughout the first game's lifespan.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Goddamn, the (Massive spoilers for the ending) plot twist about the comet and the purpose of the rituals. :stare: I did not expect that. I wonder how the reveal will come to the non-Skaven races.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

So is there any reason to keep the first game installed after I install the 2nd one? I heard there was a combined world map now? Or is that coming later?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Away all Goats posted:

So is there any reason to keep the first game installed after I install the 2nd one? I heard there was a combined world map now? Or is that coming later?

Coming later - supposed to be a few weeks.

I guess you would need to keep the first game installed if you wanted to play 1) the old world campaign 2) beastmen dlc campaign 3) woodelves dlc campaign.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Exclusive Kroq-Gar vs. Skaven footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R1m9fjdwjI

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's great to see the AI more willing to accept more flexible peace demands.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Should I use the old thread to talk about the first game? Or is that thread old news. I saw the ads for this, watched a duo streaming dark elves and some streaming skaven on twitch and realised how much I'd love this game. But since I hadn't played the first one, thought it'd be a good idea to play the first one, since it'd be a bunch cheaper to test drive.

Apparently not on steam where it's the same price as its sequel?! But Humble Bundle is selling it for £13 so that'll do.

My experience so far has been a solid wall of thunderers unloading into an endless mass of orcs, forever. I'm enjoying it a lot! Total War games have really been missing this unit variety/faction asymmetry.

EDIT: I bought it from Humble Bundle a few days ago but apparently that sale has ended when I just checked now.

Real Cool Catfish fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 27, 2017

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Multiplayer is 100% worth it. At least for Warhammer 1 I would totally recommend buying the game still even if only for multiplayer and so far WH2 looks way better in every possible way (FFA battles!)

Online matches have actually had very low queue times (30-120sec) since release for 1v1 quick battles, but much longer waits for team battles who usually host lobbies instead of joining the queue.

A lot of online battles will be against people who leave right away or who bring terrible or OP gimmick armies but its not all games and we have a discord group for goons to play casually and sometimes organize tournaments in here
https://discord.gg/0136Ht28l4ZMDBCIv

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

What's the final size of this going to be? I preloaded last night and it was quite big, but my SSD only has so much space and i'm wondering if i should make some more room.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
60GB should leave you comfortable including patches and DLC. I think I read that earlier.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Captain Beans posted:

Coming later - supposed to be a few weeks.

I guess you would need to keep the first game installed if you wanted to play 1) the old world campaign 2) beastmen dlc campaign 3) woodelves dlc campaign.

Ah ok, thanks! I have a VC and Norsca campaign I really should finish.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
60 GB is going to be the "maximum," more or less.

It'll probably be 40 something.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
My preload is done, can this please come out already.

I'm dieing from lack of lizards.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Tenzarin posted:

Did they make any changes to how the AI uses agents?

Oh jesus please, I hope so.

I absolutely couldn't stand vanilla TW1's agent spam.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
I liked my title suggestion better, but if we're going with the theme...

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

when does this game unlock

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Thursday at some bizarro time

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Steam says about 1500 minutes.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Time to call in sick on Thursday.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

littleorv posted:

1 day, 2 hours, 15 minutes and 22 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

littleorv posted:

8:30am BST on Thursday, which is, according to Google, 3:30am EST.