Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
I'd prefer to just do multiple substring matches than ever write a regex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

LinYutang posted:

I'd prefer to just do multiple substring matches than ever write a regex

you certainly are a terrible programmer

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

Works on my box

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
instead of regex i use single-char-at-a-time loops, hand-written in C, doing all my own buffering and backtracking

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

JewKiller 3000 posted:

instead of regex i use single-char-at-a-time loops, hand-written in C, doing all my own buffering and backtracking

lol if u dont use raw assembler, scrub

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
seriouspost a coworker of mine had to do some string mashing recently so he pulled out that famed scripting language, c++

just like, why

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Arcsech posted:

seriouspost a coworker of mine had to do some string mashing recently so he pulled out that famed scripting language, c++

just like, why

it's easiest to use whatever you're most experienced in or comfortable with :shrug:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Main Paineframe posted:

regex is a pain in the rear end because i hardly ever need to use it, so I learn just enough to do whatever I need to do, and then by the next time I need it I've totally forgotten the actual syntax and need to learn it from scratch again

regex is a pain in the rear end but i had to use them every day at work for a year and now they are carved into my bones

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i turned on /x but christ my brain is still wired to never use whitespace in a regex

'(?:[^'\\\n]|\\(?:[\"'\\/bfnrt\n]|x[0-9a-fA-F]{2}|u[0-9a-fA-F]{4}|U[0-9a-fA-F]{8}))*'

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i use a custom preprocessor that pipes special macros to ragel and replaces it inline.

the scripts use a hardcoded path of /home/cripeatinbread/.local/bin/ragel, too.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

terrible programmer status: i spent an hour figuring out why my bullets list didn't work and crashed the GPU before realizing i didn't initialize it and was adding bullets to a null pointer because debugging the jaguar is hell on earth

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i often times edit something thats broken in a buildscript and never commit it and just leave it for someone else to find

my current team is obsessed with "pull requests" so I routinely slip poo poo like this into unrelated PRs to reduce the amount of paperwork I do

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

my current team is obsessed with "pull requests" so I routinely slip poo poo like this into unrelated PRs to reduce the amount of paperwork I do

lol@ putting pr in scare quotes

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

cis autodrag posted:

lol@ putting pr in scare quotes

Just wait till you hear about "source control"

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

try gitkraken. not necessarily better, but was a breath of fresh air after sourcetree

speaking of git integration in dev tools, visual studio is so bad about it it's not even funny

gitkraken unironically seems to be less trash

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

cinci zoo sniper posted:

speaking of git integration in dev tools, visual studio is so bad about it it's not even funny

i use that and I've had to resort to manual tools only once so far, when I wanted to configure two remote repos to be automatically pushed at the same time

what kind of features am I missing that aren't in the visual studio plugin? other than niche commands like bisect

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

i use that and I've had to resort to manual tools only once so far, when I wanted to configure two remote repos to be automatically pushed at the same time

what kind of features am I missing that aren't in the visual studio plugin? other than niche commands like bisect

i don't think ive run in to thing it cant do, its just really awkward about everything. like, i even had to google to make sure it even has git integration since as a solo developer team services was the last thing id open

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i.e. problem with visual studio git is my opinions on ux

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

log line posted:

Exception occured when processing request: [GET] /butts/123
Stacktrace follows:
<end of message>

please groovy. please

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
lol

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

413: Butt too large

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

gonadic io posted:

please groovy. please

our logging tool frequently truncated the stack and uses it as the log subject then reports the stack of where it was caught as the exception so you get about 40%of the info you need to diagnose a fault

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
403: Forbidden Butt

:yosbutt:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

god i loving hate json

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I working on a project with a young front-end developer who wants to use every single new web technology with funny name

He introduced me to something called "pug" which is a template engine to write HTML like an awful unreadable blob of text. Hooray

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Elias_Maluco posted:

I working on a project with a young front-end developer who wants to use every single new web technology with funny name

He introduced me to something called "pug" which is a template engine to write HTML like an awful unreadable blob of text. Hooray

but javascript is so EASY

code:
const pug = require('pug');

// Compile the source code
const compiledFunction = pug.compileFile('template.pug');

// Render a set of data
console.log(compiledFunction({
  name: 'Timothy'
}));
// "<p>Timothy's Pug source code!</p>"

// Render another set of data
console.log(compiledFunction({
  name: 'Forbes'
}));
// "<p>Forbes's Pug source code!</p>

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

i get it, i get it! teacher please call me! it is called pug because the scripts look like pugs face?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
im sitting server-side while a finished product is being unveiled to a client.

it's a java web app with a bunch of javascript in the front-end.

we're seeing tons of errors related to IE9.

going to be a long day.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

lol if your company hasn't deprecated IE9 support

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

LinYutang posted:

lol if your company hasn't deprecated IE9 support

we did.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hahaha :rip:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
we deprecated everything except IE11.

i don't do the front-end poo poo but I just know i'll be fielding issues about why IE9 sucks and i dont give a poo poo and they need to fix their side of things.

i cant imagine working in a career where you can't be actively hostile to your customers

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

regex101.com is all you need

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

Nice

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
we deal with a lot of government stuff so we see things like people with browsers where the digicert and geotrust root CAs have been removed and then people complain that the site is broken.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i don't program very much but when i do it's terrible

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
i had our front-end guys change all our error messages on the front-end to "your internet connection is not available" and it cut down like 90% of the bullshit we were dealing with.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
i learned about difflib and all the magical fun things you can do with it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ultravoices posted:

i learned about difflib and all the magical fun things you can do with it.

im learning data.table and while syntax weird, its real loving good otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Elias_Maluco posted:

pug is fine. as templating engines go it's quite nice. it at least operates on node trees, whereas literally 90% of templating engines don't even do that, they just stringbash poo poo together (but you can use it for non-html output too! aren't we so amazingly flexible? :downs:)

the bigger question is why are you using a server-side javascript templating library. this implies that you are using server-side javascript. if you are using from hexo to compile a static site then it is fine, otherwise lol

that being said my personal preferences on templating engines are a little wacky. i'm glad we have things like reactjs now which shake up that whole model on a more fundamental level.

• Locked thread