Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Lunchabully posted:

DXHR's mechanics aren't great but its biggest problem is that its protagonist is a humorless, boring prick in a humorless, boring world. The original Deus Ex's mechanics weren't stellar either but at least you got to play as autistic secret agent superman firing rockets at Illuminati dinosaurs in an undersea laboratory. 90% of your time in HR is spent fighting bland soldiers in office spaces
that's pretty on the money, I mean, they send you to a secret laboratory (Omega Ranch) and it's like 90% identical offices? VersaLife was wayy cooler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

It's actually FF8

Jesus loving christ.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Cuphead is too hard and I won't play it.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i hate super mario. donkey kong is a jerk

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Literally A Person posted:

Any person who doesn't know this does not like games.

FFVIII has the most spectacular breakable stat system ever, only thing that comes close is forcing your way down the wrong paths on the sphere grid in FFX.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Dennis System posted:

I couldn't complete the tutorial and got a refund. It's the Dark Souks of indie games.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

I've played the first couple levels and I'm not sure that it's hard/bad or hard/I'm old and suck at platformers. I Don't think it's too hard because I am getting further in levels as I die and restart. It's a game that depends on the art direction for differentiation, and that will sell a lot up front but you're right, it's too hard to have the lasting impact that Super Mario has.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Unfunny Poster posted:

I couldn't complete the tutorial and got a refund. It's the Dark Souks of indie games.

I can’t tell if this is a troll or not. The first level of Super Mario Bros. is more mechanically demanding than the tutorial of Cuphead and it lacks clear instructions.

thecommodore64
Jun 9, 2010
One of my favorite COD4 maps was shipment. It's pure anarchy and people moaning about their KD bring ruined.

thecommodore64 fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 13, 2017

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

I can’t tell if this is a troll or not. The first level of Super Mario Bros. is more mechanically demanding than the tutorial of Cuphead and it lacks clear instructions.

Super Mario Bros isn't the pinnacle of gaming either it was just the best we had at the time

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
All JRPGs are boring and stupid. If you like them you’re either a child, stoned, or autistic

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Also blizzard hasn't made a good game since the 90s

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Persona has some drat good-looking stylish UI

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sonic Mania's levels are too drat long.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Scratch Monkey posted:

All JRPGs are boring and stupid. If you like them you’re either a child, stoned, or autistic

Why aren't you stoned? What's wrong with you?

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

the only good gamer is a committed marxist revolutionary gamer

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Percelus posted:

Agreed

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Percelus posted:

Did somebody say Karl Marx and video games?

E: Marx would probably blow his load if he tried to analyze capitalism through the lens of GTAV

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bust Rodd posted:

It was in fact a joke.

Some games journalist for The Verge posted a video where he had a stupidly hard time getting past the tutorial for Cuphead.

Edit sorry it was VentureBeat

https://youtu.be/848Y1Uu5Htk

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Oct 14, 2017

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

like a cigarette should posted:

Persona has some drat good-looking stylish UI

Is that an unpopular opinion?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

playing persona is fundamentally unpopular

thecommodore64
Jun 9, 2010

Unfunny Poster posted:

It was in fact a joke.

Some games journalist for The Verge posted a video where he had a stupidly hard time getting past the tutorial for Cuphead.

I think it's the same guy who didn't like mass effect because it was too hard and didn't have a leveling up mechanic.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Actually that’s some pretty good “games journalism”, because the editors knew that particular writer sucks at/hates platforming and they thought it’d be funny...

But then they asked him to write a review of a game he hated and immediately sucked at, instead of just lol’in at him and giving him a fighting game or a racing game.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thecommodore64 posted:

I think it's the same guy who didn't like mass effect because it was too hard and didn't have a leveling up mechanic.

It was yes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm really not of the mind that you have to be good at games to necessarily review them well, but this Cuphead guy is not making a strong case for himself as someone who understands criticism very well. You can regard something with a great eye critically and still hate it (looking at you Jane Austen, Goddard, Michael Bay), while loving something you know is garbage from a critical perspective (looking at you massive collection of superhero stories I've read over the course of my lifetime). Why no I'm not able to appreciate Victorian-era parlor drama, urban ennui as seen through a guy filming his favorite girls, and enjoying technical masterworks when they present some of the ugliest facets of humanity imaginable, but I still know how to recognize the genius inherent in those things and why they're important to the media as a whole. I also love children's fiction that presents 20th century archetype in bright shiny colors while recognizing that the vast majority of it doesn't have anything interesting nor worthwhile to say about humanity beyond the broadest macro and most specific micro levels possible.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 15, 2017

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Sonic Mania's levels are too drat long.
Yeah

oil ocean was an extremely low point in an otherwise very good game because of the insanely long levels that i had to replay maybe six times because of that goddamn octopus boss.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

thecommodore64 posted:

One of my favorite COD4 maps was shipment. It's pure anarchy and people moaning about their KD bring ruined.

Playing that map on a 32 person server was magical.

Most lives were spawn in and try to throw every grenade you had before you exploded. Average life expectancy was something like 5 seconds.

If you were super lucky you would get an air strike and kill 20 people with it.

Fun times.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Oscar Wild posted:

I've played the first couple levels and I'm not sure that it's hard/bad or hard/I'm old and suck at platformers. I Don't think it's too hard because I am getting further in levels as I die and restart. It's a game that depends on the art direction for differentiation, and that will sell a lot up front but you're right, it's too hard to have the lasting impact that Super Mario has.

I got to the boxing frogs boss...that was insanely hard.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Big Word posted:

Yeah

oil ocean was an extremely low point in an otherwise very good game because of the insanely long levels that i had to replay maybe six times because of that goddamn octopus boss.
It was great during the first three levels because they're not that challenging and you aren't expecting them to go on forever, but I hit Flying Battery Zone and immediately said "oh gently caress" because I hated that poo poo back in the day much less remixed and tripled in length.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I got to the boxing frogs boss...that was insanely hard.

If that was “insanely hard” you’ll not finish this game

The dragon boss is the one that gave me most trouble, but I did finish the game. A childhood spent on Contra levels did not go to waste on this guy!!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

that new game ELEX by the gothic dudes looks pretty cool?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

We can all agree that Fallout 3 and 4 are bad, but it's less popular, yet still correct, that New Vegas is bad as well.

Better than the other two, sure, but nowhere near good enough for the IP. I recall the first time I made it to Vegas proper I couldn't believe just how lame and unimpressive the city was, especially as it was split across several loading zones.

I managed to get through the DLC where you end up in some canyon, but the one with robots on the moon or something was so boring I quit right there.

FO1&2 were the only actually good ones, but if you didn't play them new, I wouldn't expect you to appreciate them. A lot of the UX really shows its age these days.

It's a shame Fallout ended up with Bethesda. Another IP casualty to their worship of expansive and bland open world titles.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I really loved New Vegas but yeah, in hindsight I can admit that I was settling for less.

It did have its virtues though. The soundtrack, the general style, the willingness to carry over the lore from 1&2, some of the weapons and characters, and the very flexible mod potential were all huge points in its favor. I'll take half of a New Vegas over a dozen Fallout 3 & 4s any day.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

it's me, i'm the guy that misses instruction manuals from games

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
New Vegas is the best role playing game ever made, but it's a genre that doesn't often prioritise graphics or gameplay so its appeal remains fsirly niche

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

mind the walrus posted:

I really loved New Vegas but yeah, in hindsight I can admit that I was settling for less.

It did have its virtues though. The soundtrack, the general style, the willingness to carry over the lore from 1&2, some of the weapons and characters, and the very flexible mod potential were all huge points in its favor. I'll take half of a New Vegas over a dozen Fallout 3 & 4s any day.

I love fallout new Vegas to death...but I also admit that I wouldn't think of playing it again without the 100+ mods I have installed. I still think the writing is superb, but there's just a lot wrong with everything else.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

really queer Christmas posted:

I love fallout new Vegas to death...but I also admit that I wouldn't think of playing it again without the 100+ mods I have installed. I still think the writing is superb, but there's just a lot wrong with everything else.
Yeah one a year or two ago I took the time to reinstall all the mods I used and rolled a new type of character and... I couldn't. I just couldn't. The gameplay is just so loving awful, even with mods, after you've gone through the story (and abused quicksaves to try out different role plays).

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

food court bailiff posted:

i'm pretty sure the reason there's no sequel to divided is because it shipped without an ending, which is kind of a big no-no for your oh-so-great not-CoD rpg-shooter-hybrid, and it got justifiably panned for it

wait no you're right it's definitely because nobody is as smart as you and can appreciate the candybar munching action of a game that sold millions of copies across multiple consoles and editions, clearly this game that scored 9/10 from most outlets despite its obvious flaws is an unappreciated gem that only you truly understand and acknowledge as the transcendental experience it is

you g d retard

Lol nice meltdown

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i am an unending font of rage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

food court bailiff posted:

i am an unending font of rage