Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Yeah just checked that was only his second game and he wasn't on the roster against you.

I'm pretty psyched for actually having a Saturday game coming up at the end of the month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Who the gently caress schedules adult league games at that late on a work night?

A distracted thrown at the scheduling dartboard.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

xzzy posted:

Oh gently caress me our game this Sunday is at 10:40. Who the gently caress schedules adult league games at that late on a work night?

That's every weekend for us; sometimes with 11:30 start times.

(And always in Everett :argh: )

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would seriously reconsider playing in a league if I had to skate that late and be at work the next morning.

(then probably skate anyways because let's be real, there's no where else to go and rinks got us by the balls)

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
My games aren't later than 10 but 10 still sucks when I drive about 35-40 mins to get there and then have to work the next day.

I still do it of course.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Most weekday night games range from 8-1130pm. We also have no rinks in Seattle, only the suburbs so the drive is almost always 30 minutes if you live in the city. Getting home at 2am when you have to get up at 7 for work is brutal.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Fall schedule sucks.

e: last week was an 11:15 start.

On the plus side, my team has too many people on it, but only reasonable numbers of people show up for the late ones.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I focus a lot more on NHL players' feet now and realize I'll never be able to skate like them if I practiced for a hundred years.

Same here, though now I also spend a lot of time with my jaw dropped to the floor from videos like these:

Sidney Crosby Edgework:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BwK2ECscX4

Crosby Puck Protection:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqrMeXTuz7U

I play in a pickup where I'm usually the worst skater out there so I'm well aware of what it looks like to be outmatched. Crosby and McDavid make NHL players look like me out there.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

xzzy posted:

I would seriously reconsider playing in a league if I had to skate that late and be at work the next morning.

(then probably skate anyways because let's be real, there's no where else to go and rinks got us by the balls)

Verman posted:

Most weekday night games range from 8-1130pm. We also have no rinks in Seattle, only the suburbs so the drive is almost always 30 minutes if you live in the city. Getting home at 2am when you have to get up at 7 for work is brutal.

Yeah I have it easy because I can, within reason, make my own hours so I usually don't get in to the office until around 1-2p on the Monday after a game. (but really let's be honest I do that every day)

We have one dude on our team who lives up near Sequim who comes down and plays with us every weekend. :stonk:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
We have a few guys that are about the same distance. It's pretty much the only place around. The drive is pretty much corn fields and chicken farms.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Teeter posted:

I play in a pickup where I'm usually the worst skater out there so I'm well aware of what it looks like to be outmatched. Crosby and McDavid make NHL players look like me out there.

Tuesday night at Bay Harbor? I've been there the past few weeks.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Played tonight, playing ball hockey tomorrow, got another game Wednesday night.

Thursday I fly to Vegas (well LA then drive to Vegas) for a Police/Fire tournament. Games thursday night, two on friday, playoffs, 1 or 2 games on Saturday.

I'm probably going to die.

Edit: Also thanks to our loving league for scheduling a game on the Canadian Thanksgiving holiday Monday. We had 9 skaters, 4 of them being spares.

D C fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Oct 10, 2017

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Teeter posted:

Same here, though now I also spend a lot of time with my jaw dropped to the floor from videos like these:

Sidney Crosby Edgework:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BwK2ECscX4

Crosby Puck Protection:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqrMeXTuz7U

I mean Crosby is ridiculous at those things even by NHL standards. He's probably the best player I've ever seen at using his feet/body to corral pucks and maintain control of them. Part of the reason he's so good around the net isn't just his ridiculous handeye but it's also his body control and ability to just kick pucks into a shooting position from anywhere.

Honestly I've played ice hockey since I was a kid and the thing that blows my mind the most with NHL players (and pro athletes in general) is how balanced they are and the total control they have over their bodies athletically. That awesome OT goal James Neal scored the other night is a good example. It looks kinda lucky because he's falling down and manages to still get good wood on the puck to roof it but the reality is NHLers are just awesome at maintaining body control no matter what position they find themselves in. They could be falling or have a dman draped all over them but they can still make plays. How hard they shoot and fast they skate is always impressive of course but to me it's just the total body control and the ability to execute athletic tasks in awkward positions that impresses me the most because god drat that poo poo is hard no matter what sport I play and they make it look easy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why I love the current OT format.. you get to see a lot more of the subtle poo poo that the stars can do. Even though they lost last night Kane made some really amazing moves to keep the offense going.

Granted, it's more impressive to pull that off in normal 5v5 but you don't get to see it on every single shift.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I would love for the NHL to switch to international-size ice

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Fat bottomed rinks you make the hockey world go round.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I ate well 2.5 hours before the game and drank water all day before the game and got to skate with the better people tonight and I played very well against a good team so hockey is cool and good again

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

In terms of results, I didn't play well today, but today was the first time I looked around and noticed 3 players on the ice that were worse than me. I'm getting noticeably better every time I play and it feels good. :toot:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Now it's time to move up a level so you're the shittiest skater again.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

xzzy posted:

Now it's time to move up a level so you're the shittiest skater again.

Or, hot dog around the shittiest players to make yourself feel better. Nothing improves your game like sickkk deeeekzzz on a bunch of pylons.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Ug, it’s looking like we will have 6 skaters tonight for a 10:15 start.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Any of you guys do a home work out routine? I was going to the gym for a while until I remembered that I hate the gym. I'm thinking maybe squats, Bulgarian split squats, push ups...?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I watch NHL games and wish I could pass like the pros.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

xzzy posted:

I wish our team could receive a pass. Any pass.

Me included.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

prom candy posted:

Any of you guys do a home work out routine? I was going to the gym for a while until I remembered that I hate the gym. I'm thinking maybe squats, Bulgarian split squats, push ups...?

I dribble tennis balls in my back patio and play keep away from my dog if that counts

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I do a ton of that as well actually, my dog loves it. I have an elliptical and a pull up bar so I'm thinking I could put together a decent 15-20 minute routine. The elliptical isn't awesome for HIIT but it's better than nothing. Some goons in another thread were raving about kettlebells as well.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Kettlebells are what I love. Lots of possibility of movement.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

prom candy posted:

All you need is a bench and a set of dumbbells and you can work out every muscle in your body at home. Craigslist is a good place to find either of those cheaply.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

I made a pro like pass last week and it was nice. Was on the PP and our center walked the blueline with it a little bit and dished to me on the half wall. I then fired a dart through the box to our winger on the other side of the ice who cradled it and sniped.

Then I turned on the tv to watch the Pens and Crosby had a puck on edge on his back hand and he perfectly feathered a saucer into the soft area to Sheary and I died a little bit inside knowing I lack mittens that soft

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

prom candy posted:

The gym owns. Go to the gym. Get swole.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I need to get back to doing workouts. I got into it for a while last year and even though I only lost like 5 pounds the general increase in strength and stamina was noticeable on the ice. Even aside from that, it's just good in general.

I wish I enjoyed working out/running more but I tend to only enjoy exercise if it's in the form of a sport which makes it hard for me to stick with it :(.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Even steady state cardio like a jog or bike ride will make your game better because you'll still have legs in the third period.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

xzzy posted:

Even steady state cardio like a jog or bike ride will make your game better because you'll still have legs in the third period.

Cardio beats pretty much every mid level beer leaguer. I've seen plenty of guys with skill, but cardio is one of the biggest deciding factors in most games. Being able to maintain a decent pace all game will ruin a team when they start burning out halfway through the 2nd. You will be able to win every battle and sprint to loose pucks when people start just giving up on anything thats not within a sticks reach.

Cardio requires :effort: though and I would rather eat fried chicken and drink beer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Running is the most miserable exercise ever. I hate every step but do it anyway because the results are real.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
This gentleman had quite the temper tantrum at our game on Sunday. Amazingly enough, the guy on our team with whom he got into the altercation, and who often happens to find himself the foci of other teams' emotions, maintained his composure and skated away without even a penalty.

The 'attempt to injure' was throwing his helmet at our guy's unhelmeted head as our guy made to skate away.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I love that it is called fisticuffs.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

how did your guys helmet come off

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

sellouts posted:

how did your guys helmet come off

Other dude pulled it off, although that may have been unintentional as he was just grabbing on to the cage when the ref half-supplexed him to the ground.

calandryll posted:

I love that it is called fisticuffs.

And that he somehow managed to get cited for it on two distinct occasions within a 40 second span.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Actually, the gym sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i run probably 20-25 miles a week between jogging and soccer and i'm still super out of shape when I skate, what gives

edit - i have absolutely no idea what that sentence meant the first time

bewbies fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 17, 2017