Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!
I've been waiting for that snappy new thread title for years feels like.

Flinthook is bad.

Roguelites forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Hand of fate 2 is out http://store.steampowered.com/app/456670/?snr=1_5_9__205

I had a lot of issues with the first one, but it’s a really clever concept. Curious to see if they improved the gripes I had.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Synthbuttrange posted:

*downloads infra arcana*

*stares at the abbreviated name*

:whatup:

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

victrix posted:

I had a lot of issues with the first one, but it’s a really clever concept. Curious to see if they improved the gripes I had.

Is that even a roguelike? I'm not familiar with the series I'm just going off of the screenshots.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

rodbeard posted:

Is that even a roguelike? I'm not familiar with the series I'm just going off of the screenshots.

It's a roguelite, mostly in story-structure. i.e. you build "dungeons" randomly, resources are limited, and it's highly skill-based - you die easily if you're bad at the game.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'd say not even a rougelite, more like a board game/tabletop RPG broken up by ARPG combat encounters. The original owned.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Dead Cells: Holy hell, the new Clock Tower does not gently caress around. it's tier 5, alternate exit for FjordIt's to Forgotten Sepulchre what Prison Depths is to the rest of the other third tier zones by far.

I haven't got to try the rest of the new content yet; still dying too much. I've beaten Watcher twice before, so I'm sure I'll see it soon enough. Rusty I guess! The new stat system has already seen a beefy rebalance since it hit the beta branch.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Streets of Rogue I can no longer take seriously. It was kind of sold to me as a Deus Ex type "choose your own way of completing mission" type of a game and you do get quite a bit of options.

But... I just unlocked "The Jock" character. He has a sprint you can't control that damages enemies and breaks walls. Now it's a "run through walls and hordes of people like a loving freight train and piss off everyone in the level" type of a game. Everyone starts shooting and punching and they keep hitting each other and get pissed off at each other. It turns into total free-for-all mayhem. Glorious.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Streets of Rogue is a treasure and has a lot of the fun variety spirit of some older games, and I wish it a long content development and sudden popularity

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Black August posted:

Streets of Rogue is a treasure and has a lot of the fun variety spirit of some older games, and I wish it a long content development and sudden popularity

Not empty quoting.

I really like playing the doctor. Your special ability is sneaking behind people and cloroforming them. BUT you can't use any weapons, which forces you to think creatively about how to approach your objectives. Like putting things in the vents, forcing someone outside, and then knocking them out. Or rushing in, freeing the gorilla and then running away while the gorilla goes to town.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I like that all scientists instinctively hate gorillas.

That makes playing as the gorilla hilarious.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i tried out meritous and well, the music seems all right

otherwise the gameplay seems just a bit too barren and the game about twice as long as it should be

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
ive decided my rougelike that ill defend incessantly regardless of its actual quality is Liberal Crime Squad

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tiler Kiwi posted:

ive decided my rougelike that ill defend incessantly regardless of its actual quality is Liberal Crime Squad
I tried so hard to get into LCS back in my DF days, but it never quite clicked for me.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Liberal Crime Squad isnt satire anymore, its a field guide.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

Liberal Crime Squad isnt satire anymore, its a field guide.
:five:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/TinyDungeons/status/928479772589641728

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
It's playable: http://tdp.andrewfaraday.com

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Can you write a starter guide because I put this on my phone a week ago but I'm still lost.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Mithross posted:

Elona has it's hooks in me again. Sometimes you just want to play something completely loving ridiculous for awhile.

I'm so so sorry. Can you even 'win' Elona?

ToxicFrog posted:

That was me; you can play it (in the browser or over telnet) at phobos.ancilla.ca.

You can also use the closed captions locally (in terminal or graphical mode; the latter puts the "sounds" in the title bar), but the instructions for doing so are kind of rough around the edges and you'll have to build libttysound from scratch.

At some point I want to either make an "unzip and play" ready package for it, or (now that DoomRL is open source) get this feature integrated into the game itself and dispense with the ugly hacks I use here.

This is awesome and you are a gentleman for making the patch!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pacra posted:

Yes. It even has a plot and cutscenes that were removed from the original English version for being too much work to translate. Someone translated them and the cutscenes of a popular fork with something like 3 times the content sometime last year.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Pacra posted:

Yea, if you play the elona custom fork you can actually play through and complete a main quest line.

You can also treat it as a sandbox and just set completely arbitrary and ridiculous goals to "win"

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I've gotten into elona again recently too.

What are the differences between elona+ and elona custom? I've just been playing +.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Clever Spambot posted:

I've gotten into elona again recently too.

What are the differences between elona+ and elona custom? I've just been playing +.

Custom is translated + with some random QoL features the translator threw in.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Also some non-QoL features like the abilities to teach your pets new spells and abilities or write custom AI rules for them.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

dis astranagant posted:

Custom is translated + with some random QoL features the translator threw in.

Sick, i was getting a little tired of "this is an untranslated sentence".

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Mithross posted:

Yea, if you play the elona custom fork you can actually play through and complete a main quest line.

You can also treat it as a sandbox and just set completely arbitrary and ridiculous goals to "win"

You can summon and kill the entire pantheon of gods and their second forms after 1000 hours of grinding.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Reminder that the big Roguelike Celebration will descend shortly, bringing who knows what news and happenings alongside surely nifty talks~

https://roguelike.club/

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Dancer posted:

Can you write a starter guide because I put this on my phone a week ago but I'm still lost.

If LCS qualifies as a roguelike then it is the only one I've won multiple times. I'm going off of memory but I'll give you some newbie tips:

Be a mastermind and don't personally commit a lot of crime. They can't pin crimes on you if you let your loyal agents do all the dirty work.
At the beginning recruit Hippies from the Vegan Co-op. They are very easy to recruit since they by default are Liberal.

Cash: Legal income is generally low and includes selling t-shirts, performing on the street, and shilling for donations. These are skill based for the first two, and reputation based on the last. Selling brownies by the way is illegal because of course they are pot brownies. A reliable cash flow is breaking into the Projects and stealing and fencing the loot you find at the Pawn Shop. Keep in mind these are crimes. Later, you can use sleeper agents to embezzle money from where they work. Like from, say, a bank. You can also use them to facilitate a bank heist. Good luck with that, I've only succeeded in a bank heist a handful of times.

The Homeless Shelter sucks. Move your base as soon as you are able to afford something else.

A good way to level up combat is to bust into the Genetics Lab and murder mutants. They aren't people so killing them isn't a crime. Don't linger since security is human. You can always come back.

Sleeper agents are the keys to influencing public opinion efficiently. Therefore, train an agent in seduction and/or persuasion so you can turn high level conservatives.

Now the big complex issue I grappled with was Heat. When you commit crimes, the offender accrues Heat, based on the crime. Selling (pot) brownies or spraying graffiti won't grant you much, but going on a murder spree or committing treason will shoot it way up. For some reason Heat works literally; it is transferred from the offender to the location they're laying low in. When a location has enough Heat it is raided by the police or worse. So compartmentalize your high crime unit from, say, where you publish your newspaper. If you have a sleeper cop they will actually tell you when a raid will occur and where. You can then move everyone out of that location and the police will raid an empty building.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

SettingSun posted:

If LCS qualifies as a roguelike then it is the only one I've won multiple times. I'm going off of memory but I'll give you some newbie tips:

Be a mastermind and don't personally commit a lot of crime. They can't pin crimes on you if you let your loyal agents do all the dirty work.
At the beginning recruit Hippies from the Vegan Co-op. They are very easy to recruit since they by default are Liberal.

Cash: Legal income is generally low and includes selling t-shirts, performing on the street, and shilling for donations. These are skill based for the first two, and reputation based on the last. Selling brownies by the way is illegal because of course they are pot brownies. A reliable cash flow is breaking into the Projects and stealing and fencing the loot you find at the Pawn Shop. Keep in mind these are crimes. Later, you can use sleeper agents to embezzle money from where they work. Like from, say, a bank. You can also use them to facilitate a bank heist. Good luck with that, I've only succeeded in a bank heist a handful of times.

The Homeless Shelter sucks. Move your base as soon as you are able to afford something else.

A good way to level up combat is to bust into the Genetics Lab and murder mutants. They aren't people so killing them isn't a crime. Don't linger since security is human. You can always come back.

Sleeper agents are the keys to influencing public opinion efficiently. Therefore, train an agent in seduction and/or persuasion so you can turn high level conservatives.

Now the big complex issue I grappled with was Heat. When you commit crimes, the offender accrues Heat, based on the crime. Selling (pot) brownies or spraying graffiti won't grant you much, but going on a murder spree or committing treason will shoot it way up. For some reason Heat works literally; it is transferred from the offender to the location they're laying low in. When a location has enough Heat it is raided by the police or worse. So compartmentalize your high crime unit from, say, where you publish your newspaper. If you have a sleeper cop they will actually tell you when a raid will occur and where. You can then move everyone out of that location and the police will raid an empty building.

You are making this game sound like a lot of fun confirm/deny?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hooplah posted:

You are making this game sound like a lot of fun confirm/deny?
It's by the Dwarf Fortress guy, made back when DF was still 2D and could feasibly be learned and played by a normal human, and is at about that level of complexity.

So, yes, very yes, but hell of a curve.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Once you get into it LCS is very fun and hilarious. There's a chance (or you can start a game in this state) that the issue of free speech is turned ultra conservative. In that state, the fire department becomes the Firemen, jerks armed with flamethrowers tasked with dealing with unacceptable speech a la Fahrenheit 451. There's also a UI change: Anytime the game has to describe something vaguely vulgar (such as what you say when seducing someone) it will be censored.

"Hey how about you and I [go watch a G Rated movie]?
"Oh my god."

This also applies to the otherwise graphic descriptions of combat.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

My favorite part of LCS is when you have someone with terrible social skills attempt to persuade or seduce somebody, and they say something completely inane like "Do you want to hear something disturbing? Rush Limbaugh once ate a baby live on TV! :v:"

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
The only thing I dont like about LCS is the kind of weird MUD style movement, but its excusable since thats actually a really small part of the game.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Pacra posted:

This is awesome and you are a gentleman for making the patch!

I'm glad you like it :D

The interest in this thread has me working on it again, but all I have in the pipeline are performance & stability improvements, nothing super exciting.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

General Emergency posted:

Streets of Rogue I can no longer take seriously. It was kind of sold to me as a Deus Ex type "choose your own way of completing mission" type of a game and you do get quite a bit of options.

But... I just unlocked "The Jock" character. He has a sprint you can't control that damages enemies and breaks walls. Now it's a "run through walls and hordes of people like a loving freight train and piss off everyone in the level" type of a game. Everyone starts shooting and punching and they keep hitting each other and get pissed off at each other. It turns into total free-for-all mayhem. Glorious.

Lmao I just had a level generate with zombie holocaust and two huge pools filled with giantiser serum. The level turned into giant zombie hordes rampaging through entire blocks of buildings like they were paper. Then some civilians started getting huge too and soon there were mega police and turbo bartenders fighting against equally enormous zombies. The amount of mayhem in that game has no limit. 9/10 inventory management could be better somehow I guess.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

victrix posted:

Been watching this played on Twitch. Looks somewhat interesting, I like the card game presentation, but the combat looks so boring. Its another game that surrounds you with like 20 enemies but they all take turns hitting you 1 by 1 so its never actually dangerous.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
The first one had that problem too, and the only time combat was difficult was when you had to fight a bunch of really bullshit enemies at once or when there were a ton of traps continuously going off in the arena. Or both.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Somebody give me some more roguelikes on android that I haven't heard of before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I'm looking for an accessible roguelike along the lines of Dredmor. Anything new worth checking out, or should I just stick with DoD?