Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Well...... :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

*slow music*
*fade to black*

*fade up text*

Cornelia will return in... Yo-Yo Mama, Thursdays at 6 on the CW.

*fade to black*

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Really good episode, I feel like it would have been better without constantly cutting back to wacky West Covina antics though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Senor Tron posted:

Really good episode, I feel like it would have been better without constantly cutting back to wacky West Covina antics though.
Yeah, constant cutting is really what should be avoided in this situation.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I caught up on last season and then this season over the last few weeks and this really was quite the time to catch up. None of the songs have really stood up to the songs from season 1, but the direction of this season, especially the last 2-3 episodes has been really intense and done very well.

As someone who has been through depression and known others with it, the spiteful "you can't hurt me, I'm going to hurt you" venomous rant Rebecca was using on everyone a few weeks ago and her "I just want to sleep forever" were extremely relatable.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

That was dark af

Winter Rose
Sep 27, 2007

Understand how unstable the truth can be.

Too real. That dredged up some memories I'd rather left in the past.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I am really glad that it ended on a somewhat positive note. Most shows would have stopped a minute earlier for the added tension.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah gently caress that was good. As gut wrenching as it is I'm really glad the show's gone in this direction. It feels like it's fulfilling the promises that the pilot made. I agree that the episode should probably have avoided going to the West Covina gang, but without that it might have been a smidge too much. I kind of hoped/expected that there wouldn't be any songs in this one, but at least the ones we got were really good.

I was worried that after season 2 ended so heavily that season 3 would pivot back to wacky "get revenge on Josh" antics, so it's a relief that they got that out of the way within one or two episodes.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

I am really glad that it ended on a somewhat positive note. Most shows would have stopped a minute earlier for the added tension.
It would have been fake tension, though, since we know the lead character isn't going to die. Ending it here is way more interesting.

Also, the West Covina plot was worth it for "This isn't really about me."

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I think most shows probably wouldn't have their lead character attempt suicide.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

FactsAreUseless posted:

It would have been fake tension, though, since we know the lead character isn't going to die. Ending it here is way more interesting.

There was part of me that thought that was going to be it, and that they'd end the whole series there. I don't know how logistically possible it'd be to lie about the episode count of a season and end it at the mid-point but it'd have been a loving surprise.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Rebecca dies, show is now called Ex-Crazy-Ex-Girlfriend

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Disgusting Coward posted:

Rebecca dies, show is now called Ex-Crazy-Ex-Girlfriend

She's so broken inside.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also, the West Covina plot was worth it for "This isn't really about me."

Also Maya, who is always great. The West Covina plot was a little meh, but the A-plot needed some breaks, because boy, that was heavy poo poo.

It's amazing to think that this is the same show that featured songs like "Feeling Kinda Naughty" or "I'm a Good Person."

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Well the next episode looks like it's doing the events justice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRopypoB7T0

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Du duh du let's catch up on Crazy Ex Girlfirend! The show's a little dark but the songs are fun!

Five episodes later. God drat.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
No cold open!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Bitch don't get in my way bitch

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Just gonna dedicate 2 minutes of this episode to the longest most elaborate poo poo joke in tv history, no big.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Woah meta

This is my intruder axe!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

That was a good episode :unsmith:

Next episode(december 8th:argh:) looks loving hysterical.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Hey it's the scene from the opening!

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Goddamnit, this episode has made me want to go to my next doctors appointment to ask if i probably have bpd.

I know online tests are poo poo, but they're all saying high likelyhood.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I feel really bad for Kevin now. Also, a month long sailing trip is the best cure for the flu and I will not hear otherwise. :colbert:

Honestly though, I really appreciated how somber this episode felt. Rebecca feels stigmatized, but the medical professionals calmly explain to her that she does not have to feel this way. When she heard that she'd get a new diagnosis, she was enthusiastic. But that was mostly because she thought there's an easy fix for her problems. BPT is a serious threat. But knowing what's wrong is an important step to improvement.

Also there was a surprising amount of callbacks in the episode. Like how Rebecca said "I just feel like I've inconvenienced a lot of people." That's literally what her mother spoke on her phone box in the first episode, with regards to another suicide attempt.

I am pretty sure this is the smartest show on television.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The next episode is the first without "Josh" in the title.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nichael posted:

The next episode is the first without "Josh" in the title.

It's because he doesn't matter. He never mattered. The only important Josh is White Josh.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

My GF's sister is BPD, and my girlfriend has been calling this since Season 1. She's so smug today.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

God that was real. The scene where they list out all the signs of BPD bought up a lot of poo poo.

Does anyone know if the support system Rebecca was given in the hospital is an accurate representation (at least in the US)? I remember when a friend of mine did a similar thing a few years back, she spent about three hours in an NHS hospital bed, had some blood tests to make sure it was out of her system and when she asked the doctor what happens next she was told 'we don't have a mental health facility here but we'll notify your GP' and was out the door a few minutes later. No referral, no treatment.

That specific hospital has always had a bad rep though (and I was born there yay).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

God that was real. The scene where they list out all the signs of BPD bought up a lot of poo poo.

Does anyone know if the support system Rebecca was given in the hospital is an accurate representation (at least in the US)? I remember when a friend of mine did a similar thing a few years back, she spent about three hours in an NHS hospital bed, had some blood tests to make sure it was out of her system and when she asked the doctor what happens next she was told 'we don't have a mental health facility here but we'll notify your GP' and was out the door a few minutes later. No referral, no treatment.

That specific hospital has always had a bad rep though (and I was born there yay).
Absolutely depends on the hospital. There is no consistency state to state, or even facility to facility.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
It probably even depends on the doctor you end up with. Some just want to process you as a number in a statistic, whole others are a bit more interested in helping.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It probably even depends on the doctor you end up with. Some just want to process you as a number in a statistic, whole others are a bit more interested in helping.
It has way more to do with whether the hospital has psych beds. Otherwise...

Steve2911 posted:

when she asked the doctor what happens next she was told 'we don't have a mental health facility here but we'll notify your GP' and was out the door a few minutes later
This happens. A ton of hospitals just aren't equipped to deal with mental health care. America's mental health treatment infrastructure is not where it needs to be - but we do still better than most other countries in the world.

Edit: Not to totally discount doctor quality, but there are laws that govern whether a hospital can even hire a psychiatrist. Some hospitals don't have them because they don't have the mental health facilities to hire one. AFAIK it's just number of beds dedicated to mental health care, but I picked this all up secondhand.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Here's a link to a good article https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/11/crazy-ex-girlfriend-borderline-personality-disorder-rachel-bloom-aline-brosh-mckenna-interview

It's about how they came to the diagnosis from a writing perspective.

I didn't like the two songs. They weren't funny enough to justify how lame and corny they sounded.

I laughed at this episode more than I have in a long time, maybe since Greg left. I loved that they wrote some hilarious snarky poo poo for Valencia to say to Hector to balance out the rest of the heavy stuff.

Not really digging the continued falling in love of Nathanial with Rebecca. He's her boss and his feelings for her don't feel earned for me.

radlum
May 13, 2013
To be fair, I was dissapointed in how obsessed he had become in this season, but that last scene was actually rather nice; I wouldn't mind if they do end up as a couple for the rest of the season

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
We went to the VultureFest panel/singalong today and it was fantastic. The cast is just as cool in real life as the show and we’re pretty open about the challenges of making the show.

There’s also an incredible Paula song coming up when she sees her old boyfriend that is absolutely phenomenal. Get excited!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
One thing I dislike in this episode was the movement song; the same thing has happened to Valencia on this show as happening to Britta on community, where they start unattainable and then you wonder how anyone ever looked up to them.
Compare the movement song, which is possibly the most one dimensional song the show has done, to I’m so good at yoga, and they feel like different characters.

What I really liked is the first time they cut away from the back in the hospital they play the first two bars of “I have friends I definitely have friends”.

I also like young Rebecca and wish her conceit for appearing didn’t forbid her from interacting with other characters

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Valencia seemed superior at the outset because she was Josh's girlfriend. Now that she's not, we see a few more of her problems- she's bad at making friends and so hangs with Rebecca and Heather because they let her, she has a way of making things about her, etc.

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy
My Movement was funny :colbert:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

My Movement was a funny joke.

I don't know how you could watch this episode though and come away thinking Valencia was one dimensional. From the very first scene with the Facebook videos I guessed that this weird chipper self centered thing she was doing was just her coping mechanism. She was feeling a kind of pain and sadness for a friend that she has literally never felt before and had no idea how to handle it. I thought the scene where she finally breaks down was incredibly moving and showed how much Valencia has changed, in a good way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

also that Yoga song really isn't that great.

• Locked thread