Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

All of ours locally have one entrance/exit to a main street. Imagine how congested things get on the weekends.

Also, I learned midnight is the absolute worst time to try to check out. The entire store shuts down for 1/2 hour so they can make their computers be tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Goober Peas posted:

All of ours locally have one entrance/exit to a main street. Imagine how congested things get on the weekends.

Also, I learned midnight is the absolute worst time to try to check out. The entire store shuts down for 1/2 hour so they can make their computers be tomorrow.

The first of the month, specifically, is the worst time.

EBT funds are refreshed.

I’m guilty of driving against parking lot arrows numerous times, but not through rows of diagonally parked cars. That’s just asking for trouble.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Guys in a security companies van wouldn't get out of the passing lane, flashed my lights a few times. Eventually passed on the right, they decided to start throwing up hands. Company is getting a copy of the video now. Hope it was worth it!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Crossposting from the Star Citizen thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYcsW48HHXM

That video makes me so anxious. They have literally all of the room in the world

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

The Wal-Marts around here are always a huge clusterfuck of Traffic. Most here haven entrances on main roads, and most have several other businesses in the parking lot. And bus stops built in as well.

I don't even like shopping there, the fact that we have to work there now, is even worse. (As AC / Refrigeration contractors thankfully.)

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Crossposting from the Star Citizen thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYcsW48HHXM

I wish someone would interview one of these cases, to try to figure out what is their problem. Are they just incapable of perceiving the world around them, or unable to figure which direction the car will turn while backing. Whenever the video has a clip of the driver walking they don't seem to be drunk, at least.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
Wow, I feel i lucked out on the Wal-Mart lottery because most of the stores around here have fairly good entrances and exits and no one way roads in the lot. One is bad on weekends because there is a flea market next door and one is on a highway and getting out of the place can be a bitch.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Alkydere posted:

As someone who used to work in Wal-Marts (contractor/vendor who handed out food samples, thankfully not an actual floor associate slave) the only time I'd ever go into one voluntarily again is because it's 2 AM and the only place that's open. gently caress Wal-Mart and its customers.

This is my stance as someone who also used to work at, but not for Walmart. I used to install and repair photo lab equipment, with the largest client being Walmart & Sam's Club. I only shop there now if there's no other option.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I used to hit up the Wally World next to my gym when I was going at 2 AM, and being able to buy stuff without navigating the sea of obesity and unsupervised children was the only benefit to that horrific night shift schedule.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Saukkis posted:

I wish someone would interview one of these cases, to try to figure out what is their problem. Are they just incapable of perceiving the world around them, or unable to figure which direction the car will turn while backing. Whenever the video has a clip of the driver walking they don't seem to be drunk, at least.

It's like some people just cannot handle any stress as a result of driving or parking. It's nuts, like their brains just shut down and they can't think straight anymore.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Javid posted:

I used to hit up the Wally World next to my gym when I was going at 2 AM, and being able to buy stuff without navigating the sea of obesity and unsupervised children was the only benefit to that horrific night shift schedule.

The only reason to visit Walmart is for oil, filters and wiper blades and dumping off used oil.

The last time I was there the "greeter" was a guy in a motorized scooter with an oxygen mask. You could waltz out with every TV after 8pm. And that's the best time to dump off oil. No need to fill out the "log" on what you are dropping off. Just shove the cart in front of their empty counter and go on your merry way. Did get a chuckle when one greeter insisted on putting return tags on my oily 5qt oil bottles when walking in. When before I was waved through. Sadly there have a been few stories of people returning used oil.

Old man Sam must be spinning in his grave. And with that said I'll step off my soap box.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Some bright mind beat the whole 'it's illegal to park in the fire lane' in front of a pizza place by just driving onto the sidewalk and parking there! He didn't even have the excuse of being a motorcycle and therefore easily moved, it was a loving Escalade.

Where are the cops when they could get some effortless ticket money?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Absolutely trash site design + trash drivers = a perfectly typical wal-mart experience.

A better site design would have incoming/exiting traffic coming in toward the back of the lot, as far from the entrance as possible. The entrance is where all the peds are crossing, and if you're not running them over you're backing up traffic. Would like to see some actual enforcement of people parking along the side of the building, it takes away 1/2 lane of travel and vans/SUVs block your view of people exiting the store.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is one of my favorites, where so many people say "gently caress it" you can see wear patterns over parking slots in google maps.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8512983,-88.3409518,195m/data=!3m1!1e3

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Just postin' to say "HOOORAY!" because PCOS bill was permabanned.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
he was kinda a staple of this thread though :smithfrog:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

sneakyfrog posted:

he was kinda a staple of this thread though :smithfrog:

He was the default troll that somehow always had a contrary opinion or agreed too much with people, I'm going to miss him

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Someone needs to take his place. Quick, go out and drive irresponsibly.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
and tell stories about it like you are totally correct and be like all mad about "that asshat who stopped to yield"

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I imagined everyone one of his stories lacked the part where he did something really loving dumb. Read the opening pages of this thread. We should try and go back to that

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
We've had an intern park his minivan across three parking spaces for the past two weeks. His reasoning? The van is on loan from a relative and reverse doesn't work.
It's baffling that a supposed adult finds this acceptable?

He has now been told to find a pull-through parking spot somewhere else.

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

Nocheez posted:

Just postin' to say "HOOORAY!" because PCOS bill was permabanned.

I'll miss him the same way I miss Kurten.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

TotalLossBrain posted:

We've had an intern park his minivan across three parking spaces for the past two weeks. His reasoning? The van is on loan from a relative and reverse doesn't work.
It's baffling that a supposed adult finds this acceptable?

He has now been told to find a pull-through parking spot somewhere else.

Is it RWD?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjV0iO-6vK8

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
The lady who lives across the road from my new place is def someone you share the road with. When I moved in last week she putted across the road to tell me not to park on the opposite side of road from her driveway as she's 80 and her car doesn't have power steering (it's an early 2000's camry station wagon that definitely does have power steering). I've watched her reverse out a few times since and i get why she gave the warning. She doesn't bother to turn the car at all until it's fully out of the driveway and she's heading up the road. The road is narrow which means she's getting close to my fence by this time. I'm more than happy to park in the driveway to avoid her if nothing else

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

The lady who lives across the road from my new place is def someone you share the road with. When I moved in last week she putted across the road to tell me not to park on the opposite side of road from her driveway as she's 80 and her car doesn't have power steering (it's an early 2000's camry station wagon that definitely does have power steering). I've watched her reverse out a few times since and i get why she gave the warning. She doesn't bother to turn the car at all until it's fully out of the driveway and she's heading up the road. The road is narrow which means she's getting close to my fence by this time. I'm more than happy to park in the driveway to avoid her if nothing else

I literally have this exact situation except it's a 40-year-old mother of 3 and not an 80-year-old woman. I never got a reason, just "you can't park across from my driveway" (despite the fact her husband parks on the road across from my driveway constantly).

I'm here to tell you not to gently caress with her because the 1 time I parked my car in the street for <10 minutes, she backed out of her driveway and straight into my rear quarter panel. $1800 of damage. Apparently the unspoken reason was "it's too :effort: to use the backup camera in my Lexus SUV, I'm just gonna put it in reverse and floor it straight back out the driveway!"

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Parking in the street opposite someone's driveway is generally a bad idea, unless you like getting your doors caved in. It leaves very little margin for error for the people backing out.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Kelp Me! posted:

I'm here to tell you not to gently caress with her because the 1 time I parked my car in the street for <10 minutes, she backed out of her driveway and straight into my rear quarter panel. $1800 of damage. Apparently the unspoken reason was "it's too :effort: to use the backup camera in my Lexus SUV, I'm just gonna put it in reverse and floor it straight back out the driveway!"

This is how my buddy's neighbours wrote off his mint '79 RX-7. They didn't just hit it, they pushed it onto his lawn.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-ikjcJuLcM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY7vA_OuF2o

Note: This was the qualifier. 4 cars didn't wreck.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A biker (Daniel Hegarty) crashed at Macau earlier today and died. Don't recommend looking up the video because it's a nasty one.

Not sure why they allow bikes on the circuit at all.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Deteriorata posted:

Parking in the street opposite someone's driveway is generally a bad idea, unless you like getting your doors caved in. It leaves very little margin for error for the people backing out.

On the other hand, those people need to learn to loving drive their car, and back it up properly. If you need to make a three point turn, do it. If you need to back into your driveway rather than out, do that. In fact, do that anyway, because it's much safer.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

xzzy posted:

A biker (Daniel Hegarty) crashed at Macau earlier today and died. Don't recommend looking up the video because it's a nasty one.

Not sure why they allow bikes on the circuit at all.

Three words: Isle of Man.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well I got the same opinion on Isle of Mann. :v:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

xzzy posted:

This is one of my favorites, where so many people say "gently caress it" you can see wear patterns over parking slots in google maps.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8512983,-88.3409518,195m/data=!3m1!1e3

ohhh here's mine, everyone just drives through the spots because then you get to avoid the speed bumps
https://www.google.com/maps/place/D...!4d-105.1076106

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

PT6A posted:

On the other hand, those people need to learn to loving drive their car, and back it up properly. If you need to make a three point turn, do it. If you need to back into your driveway rather than out, do that. In fact, do that anyway, because it's much safer.

Yeah, but it only takes a moment inattention to do several thousand dollars damage to your car. It's unnecessary risk. Expecting other people to make mistakes and planning appropriately is just good prudence.

Similar to how you don't park your car under a chestnut tree or near where birds roost.

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

xzzy posted:

Well I got the same opinion on Isle of Mann. :v:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Kelp Me! posted:

Lexus SUV

Say no more.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It doesn't make it any better for the friends and family but every road racer knows the risk and chooses to line up anyway. That oughta tell ya how much of a thrill it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgxe0vPCU9o

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

nsaP posted:

It doesn't make it any better for the friends and family but every road racer knows the risk and chooses to line up anyway. That oughta tell ya how much of a thrill it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgxe0vPCU9o

It is the best thrill. And I never was anywhere near as good as those guys.

For content, here is my least favorite parking lot near me. The big, open, north/south area on the left? Yep, people blaze through that at about 50, while on the phone. I would keep my head on a swivel here in an M1 tank, let alone my bike. But, since Cycle Gear, Total Wine, and my favorite Barnes & Noble are all there, I go there frequently.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.0064703,-96.9771578,473m/data=!3m1!1e3

zzuupp
Jan 2, 2012

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

She was nice enough to warn you about her driving skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Spent several miles today (as a passenger but still) being tailgated in the center lane of an otherwise barren three lane interstate. Dunno what the gently caress his problem was. (We were going probably 5 over at the time)