Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

melon cat posted:

Yeah, c'est la vie indeed. I wouldn't feel bad about it because it's extra money that you wouldn't have had in the first place.
The most dangerous thing is getting caught up in your own personal greed.

"Just one more dollar! An extra half percentage! Aaaaaand I've lost all of gains. FML."

Be careful with that though. That kind of mindset can easily lead you to sell your winners for small gains and ride your losers straight down into hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

paternity suitor posted:

Be careful with that though. That kind of mindset can easily lead you to sell your winners for small gains and ride your losers straight down into hell.
Isn't gambling stock trading awesome? :suicide:

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

melon cat posted:

I'm up 43% this year so unironically agreed

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

paternity suitor posted:

I'm up 43% this year so unironically agreed

Wtf...

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

melon cat posted:

Heck yeah, buddy!

Stock trading has allowed me to add a side of gambling to my interest in Current Events/Geography.

It feels ridiculous that I can do this but who cares, I've been profitable so far which means I've got hot hands and can't lose gonna own a full-floor condo in no time

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

2013-2015 I was also up over 40% 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last year was only 26%

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I am tempted to pick up some jd.com shares. It has an aggressive valuation, but their year-over-year growth seems to be really drat good, and if any country has room for two Amazon-sized online retail companies it's China. Both Walmart and Tencent have invested in the company, and I just have a feeling that it will continue to do well over the next five years as online retail grows. Any thoughts?

Also, what the hell is going on with these cryptocurrency rocket ships? I have seen some crazy price spikes in the past couple of weeks on joke businesses that have revenue under $100,000 per annum. WTF?

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 25, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

LLCoolJD posted:

Also, what the hell is going on with these cryptocurrency rocket ships? I have seen some crazy price spikes in the past couple of weeks on joke businesses that have revenue under $100,000 per annum. WTF?
What are some of the names? I will buy a half position so the thread can vicariously experience a likely stupid trade.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Edit: somehow posted in the wrong thread :downs:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Josh Lyman posted:

What are some of the names? I will buy a half position so the thread can vicariously experience a likely stupid trade.

RIOT, MARA, XNET.

RIOT ("Riot Blockchain, Inc."), for instance, rebranded recently from a medical device company or something like that.

Edit:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-24/blockchain-is-latest-pixie-dust-for-stocks-driving-up-riot

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 25, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That GBTC rocket ship seems to be blasting off past NAV again.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Aaaand there's the SQ correction. Down $7 from its high. On one hand, it sucks to see one of your better shares lose value, but on the other hand it's nice to see some sanity and correction in a stock that you're holding for the long term.

loving tech stocks, man.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

melon cat posted:

Aaaand there's the SQ correction. Down $7 from its high. On one hand, it sucks to see one of your better shares lose value, but on the other hand it's nice to see some sanity and correction in a stock that you're holding for the long term.

loving tech stocks, man.

WOW! I didn't even look at it today since I got out.

I'd probably get back in in the mid-30s if it gets there.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

I know there are plenty itt that are toking the $WEED, but I bought into Aurora around a month ago, and there have been zero regrets.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I bought more weed today, I hold a smaller portion of mjn because kosher weed possibilities :2bong: but really all the micro caps will be acquired in a flurry of m&a.

Shop is back also in case anyone forgot about them.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Risky Bisquick posted:

I bought more weed today, I hold a smaller portion of mjn because kosher weed possibilities :2bong: but really all the micro caps will be acquired in a flurry of m&a.

Shop is back also in case anyone forgot about them.

I bought into weed (well, specifically HMMJ) with frickin' impeccable timing (Oct 27). Then sold at +10% shortly after, figuring it would probably give that back. It's now at +40%.

Shasta.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I loving love weed.

Never touch the stuff, but I loving love weed.

And I thought I bought in late!

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

LLCoolJD posted:

RIOT, MARA, XNET.

RIOT ("Riot Blockchain, Inc."), for instance, rebranded recently from a medical device company or something like that.

Edit:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-24/blockchain-is-latest-pixie-dust-for-stocks-driving-up-riot

looked like the Party was over today. even in AH these guys going down.... on watch tomorrow lets hit that morning dump & violent bounce :black101:

esp $MARA gogogogoo

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Jack Daniels posted:

looked like the Party was over today. even in AH these guys going down.... on watch tomorrow lets hit that morning dump & violent bounce :black101:

esp $MARA gogogogoo

We are now in the deathwatch for at least some of these pump and dump crypto/blockchain stocks. MARA is down 30% after hours, and I bet it falls closer to its rightful place at ~$1.40 in the morning. Hell, even a legitimate business like SQ got pounded today on criticism of its recent bitcoin-inspired rally.

In other news, I'm eager to see the result of the Senate's tax bill vote. It looks like it could happen as early as this week. Once that's happened it'll remove some of the uncertainty from the market.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

That GBTC rocket ship seems to be blasting off past NAV again.
I got burned trying to trade GBTC earlier this year so I've avoided it, despite wanting to get in around 800-900. Probably could've seen an illogical Black Friday/Cyber Monday boost coming. :negative:

melon cat posted:

loving tech stocks, man.
All my SQ gains evaporated today, got out before bad turned to worse. :negative:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I got out at 47.50

Lost most of that on YINN today tho lol

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Canadian Justice Minister's heart is in the right place

Article: House passes marijuana legislation, bill moves to Senate

quote:

Prior to the vote, Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould said Commons approval of Bill C-45 marks an "important milestone" in the government's plans to keep pot profits out of the hands of organized crime and marijuana out of the hands of kids.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/house-passes-marijuana-legislation-bill-moves-to-senate-1.3696405

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Of course this happens less than 2 weeks after I sell TWMJF :negative:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I touched the poop, trying to trade GBTC.

It is already backfiring.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

A MIRACLE posted:

Lost most of that on YINN today tho lol

Good lord, don't touch that stuff. The Chinese stock market is a black box filled with lies and bullshit. Might as well be completely random.

Also "Chinese stock market" is a hilarious concept in and of itself, much like "Russian Olympic Anti-Doping Committee".

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Looks like VERI just got some good news.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/veritone-among-first-recognized-aws-200000833.html

Haven't decided if I want to jump in now and ride it out for a few years.

edit:
Eh, bought 100 shares. We'll see how this goes. Got in at 26.51, so we can all laugh at me when this explodes in my face.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 28, 2017

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
So I just did my quarterly portfolio review, and my average weekly correlation is at the lowest I have ever seen it. I think it is an interesting metric because it exhibits the expanding gully between the "have's" and "have not's" in the market. In other words, there are a group of stocks doing really well, and the rest of the market doing mediocre to lovely. The continuing rally may be backed by fundamentals on a few big names who are moving indexes, but is that really matched for the majority of underlying components? It is almost kind of analogous to society as a whole...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cheesemaster200 posted:

So I just did my quarterly portfolio review, and my average weekly correlation is at the lowest I have ever seen it. I think it is an interesting metric because it exhibits the expanding gully between the "have's" and "have not's" in the market. In other words, there are a group of stocks doing really well, and the rest of the market doing mediocre to lovely. The continuing rally may be backed by fundamentals on a few big names who are moving indexes, but is that really matched for the majority of underlying components? It is almost kind of analogous to society as a whole...
Did you calculate a correlation matrix of your positions using weekly returns?

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Josh Lyman posted:

Did you calculate a correlation matrix of your positions using weekly returns?

Yeah, anything more than that crashes google sheets.

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

I touched the poop, trying to trade GBTC.

It is already backfiring.

nooooooo :ughh: :911: :zoro:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
boycottmodernwarfare2.jpg anyone looking to buy EA?

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Everyone says to buy low, which kind of makes sense. But the low stuff is actually worth less. If it's high, shouldn't it be likelier going higher? Like if the market already said this stuff is worth more and that stuff is worth less, shouldn't you buy something inherently more valuable? Just my two shares, still learning but BTC has been paying off so I'd thought I'd dabble.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

anne frank fanfic posted:

Everyone says to buy low, which kind of makes sense. But the low stuff is actually worth less. If it's high, shouldn't it be likelier going higher? Like if the market already said this stuff is worth more and that stuff is worth less, shouldn't you buy something inherently more valuable? Just my two shares, still learning but BTC has been paying off so I'd thought I'd dabble.

The point of "buying low" is that the stock shouldn't be low. Sometimes the market is wrong and you get lucky correctly analyze it. In those cases you are buying a stock that is undervalued by the market because you know something the thousands of analysts and fund managers trading it don't the market is irrational.

Some stocks are expensive compared to their financials, but they pay good dividends and so people like to own them. Some stocks are likely to keep their value barring a financial meltdown, so they come at a premium. Some stocks are expensive because people are speculating like crazy. "Worth" has nothing to do with it.

It depends a great deal what your purpose in buying the stock is. Do you want a valuable stock that will keep its value long-term, maybe appreciate with the market and pay you dividends? Or do you want to gamble?

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 29, 2017

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Google finance finally dropped portfolios

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

CloFan posted:

Google finance finally dropped portfolios

Yeah the new interface is pretty horrid. Anyone have a good free replacement? I'd like to have multiple portfolios, with cash positions, and no limitation on the number of equities or funds in each portfolio (just like Google).

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
It would be interesting to take a poll on where you guys think the market falls as far as rational pricing -

there's the old yarn about a Chicago economist not stopping to pick up a dollar on the street "because if it was real someone would have picked it up already" level of market rationality

all the way through

"animal spirits" irrationality, largely en vogue right now with Thaler's recent Nobel for behavioral economics.

I tend to favor the latter, although that's mostly a product of my era. My finance professors lean quite a bit harder toward the former, and in fact I had one dress me down in class for "buying the hype" about the latter.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I associate "animal spirits" more with Shiller than Thaler. I mean, he even wrote a book with that title.

Asset prices feel a bit bubbly as they have for most of the year now. I'm not ready to go short yet though.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.
Major sell off in the NQ today. AMZN, FB, ADBE, NFLX, SQ all getting killed.

And for some reason V is down $4. For those who say you never see a pullback in V, now's your chance I guess.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Josh Lyman posted:

I associate "animal spirits" more with Shiller than Thaler. I mean, he even wrote a book with that title.

Asset prices feel a bit bubbly as they have for most of the year now. I'm not ready to go short yet though.

Same person, basically, lol.

I mean tbf "animal spirits" is actually Keynes, but yeah. I trust you endorse that line of thinking about markets, then?

Kahneman, Thaler, Modigliani, Shiller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
The price of anything is dictated by what someone else is willing to pay for it.

It seems like a simple and obvious concept, but that is what intrinsically drives markets. Therefore, it can logically be determined that all prices are behavioral based. The question is what ultimately drives that behavior.

The efficient market camp would say that decisions are based off "rational" decisions; defined by actions that are always made in the interest of maximizing individual return and/or minimizing risk. The behavioral camp would argue that people make decisions based upon irrational reasoning; such as wanting to watch the world burn, or because they have an idealistic belief they want to act on.

The line between the two is fuzzy, because many times we want to write off market movements as "irrational" because it doesn't meet a personal test of valuation; like fundamentals, technical analysis, etc. However that doesn't necessarily mean that the people behind that market movement are acting irrationally. I personally think Tesla is horrifically overvalued, but if everyone invested in Tesla truly believes the current valuation is justified and are looking to maximize their return, then that price is quite rational. However, if everyone is buying into Tesla because they want to see electric cars succeed regardless of their financial well being, then I would argue that is an irrational valuation.

That's how I view it, though I am sure many others have different opinions on what defines a "rational" decision.