Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

You got me curious and so far I'm turning up nothing. I think it's just an improved chord progression piece.

Yeah, same here, which is why I asked. It's a similar tempo and key to a version I've heard before, so it tweaked my memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm only 6 episodes in but can guess where Lewis arc is heading. I don't think the portrayal is designed to make him look stupid, so much as only good at ONE thing (being a soldier) and, without that, he's lost and aimless. So him being competent at what I think he's going to become makes sense.

The guy was so without direction and meaning without a war to fight that he dug a fox hole in the back yard but the only thing I can recall where they suggest he's bad at being a soldier is when his counselor tells him he didn't dig a drainage channel in his camp.

SpannerX posted:

Yeah, same here, which is why I asked. It's a similar tempo and key to a version I've heard before, so it tweaked my memory.

I could see how you got "Time in a Bottle" from it but I think that's just a concidence and similarity in chord progression during one part.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BiggerBoat posted:

The guy was so without direction and meaning without a war to fight that he dug a fox hole in the back yard but the only thing I can recall where they suggest he's bad at being a soldier is when his counselor tells him he didn't dig a drainage channel in his camp.

See, he's a really good soldier over there. Back here, he's something else.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

See, he's a really good soldier over there. Back here, he's something else.

Exactly.

Getting off Punisher for a second, what do you guys think of a Netflix Elric of Melnibone series? I think it could work. A Dr. Strange meets GoT thing that few people have heard of. I could see it being a sleeper hit like DD was.

Or you could animate it in P. Craig Russell's style.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Exactly.

Getting off Punisher for a second, what do you guys think of a Netflix Elric of Melnibone series? I think it could work. A Dr. Strange meets GoT thing that few people have heard of. I could see it being a sleeper hit like DD was.

Or you could animate it in P. Craig Russell's style.

It might be good if they don't deviate far from Moorcock's characterization. Depends really on who's running with it from a production/direction/writing standpoint.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

SpannerX posted:

very tangentially connected (not TV but Marvel) this was on my Spotify and it made my brain itch for ages before I twigged it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzjAJzcvmWs

and looking at the Youtube the first comment is thinking exactly the same:

"Is it me or does this song sound like a very peaceful piano version of The Avengers theme song?"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

It might be good if they don't deviate far from Moorcock's characterization. Depends really on who's running with it from a production/direction/writing standpoint.

It would have to be someone interested in the character, for sure, but I think the fact that no one really knows who he is would allow for more latitude since no one would expect much from it. I think you could do a lot with it, especially visually and in terms of tone and style.

EDIT: FInd a real albino actor waiting for a chance who can't land anything else.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 23, 2017

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

It would have to be someone interested in the character, for sure, but I think the fact that no one really knows who he is would allow for more latitude since no one would expect much from it. I think you could do a lot with it, especially visually and in terms of tone and style.

EDIT: FInd a real albino actor waiting for a chance who can't land anything else.

Sometimes. I am really enjoying the actor that plays Zzasz on Gotham, and he's got severe alopecia. Sometimes you can get lucky like that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I remember the Aeon Flux cartoon on MTV and always thought the animation looked inspired by P. Craig Russell -
almost a rip off even. I've searched and it doesn't seem like it was in intentional but the first time I came across the show I actually thought it as an Elric or Russell comic.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Wow. This show was real good, y'all. As most everyone else, I did find the whole gun control arc with the senator kinda...out of sync with the tone of the rest of the show in how much of a caricature it was, and Frank Castle has some sort of RPG character "rest for a free hours and regain your health" thing going on, but drat. I've watched all of the Marvel Netflix shows so far, and this is the first since DD season 1 that I've binged (DD s2 first half gets honorable mention; JJ also, as it was just too heavy for me to gulp down).

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
punisher is the best comic book show ever because it's the least comic book show ever.

EDIT - Read back a little through the thread. The complaint about a former army guy that saw action AND has the internet knowing how to wire up claymores makes him too competent is hilarious. US soldiers: dumber than terrible goat loving afghan bombers.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 24, 2017

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
All y'all who are annoyed at the spineless, hypocritical gun control senator, just think of him as the mirror image of the equally exaggerated race-baiting, valor-stealing gun nut. They're basically the same caliber of politicized stereotype, just on opposite sides of the political spectrum.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I remember people were real mad about the scene where he tricks the guy into thinking he's torching him in lieu of actually torching him. That wouldn't happen in the Punisher comics, they said!

That scene was taken line for line from a Punisher comic.

That scene was great and that movie was great. Like, I get why people have issues with humanizing Frank too much but if you're going to watch him in a movie or TV I really have no interest in the lovely nihilistic MAX version.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

In It For The Tank posted:

All y'all who are annoyed at the spineless, hypocritical gun control senator, just think of him as the mirror image of the equally exaggerated race-baiting, valor-stealing gun nut. They're basically the same caliber of politicized stereotype, just on opposite sides of the political spectrum.

Yeah, but he gets a few more scenes and a much better actor.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

DrNutt posted:

That scene was great and that movie was great. Like, I get why people have issues with humanizing Frank too much but if you're going to watch him in a movie or TV I really have no interest in the lovely nihilistic MAX version.

This 100%. Give me humanised Frank or hilarious over the top Frank ala War Zone.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
this is the first Marvel Netflix show I've actually finished since DD S2

extremely toxic, extremely good poo poo. I thought Berenthal was a terrible choice for Castle at first, proving once and for all that I am dumb as heck

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

nael posted:

Thomas Jane Punisher was rated R, it was just at a normal R rated action movie level of violence, not as brutal and over the top as the others.

Oh poo poo you're right, I could've sworn it was pg-13 despite being violent because afaik it didn't have any nudity so thus okay by American rating system for young people. man I wish I owned it I got the itch to watch it again it's been a real long time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Oh poo poo you're right, I could've sworn it was pg-13 despite being violent because afaik it didn't have any nudity so thus okay by American rating system for young people. man I wish I owned it I got the itch to watch it again it's been a real long time.

It's on Netflix.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

RareAcumen posted:

It's on Netflix.

I don't have netflix cuz I tether a 15gb a month data cap :smith:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I never really liked 2004 Punisher because frankly Jane is the wrong actor for the Punisher, and outside of the Russian fight, it's not a very interesting movie. Ray Stevenson was basically perfect and the movie dials up how silly and exploitative the core concept is.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

DrNutt posted:

The MAX version was terrible.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The MAX version was terrible.

:getout:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Narcissus1916 posted:

I was talking about the original xbox/ps2 entry, but I forgot about the badass sidescroller too.

The best part of the one from ten years ago was the level select screen. It was all clippings from the Daily Bugle with anti-Punisher headlines. "Punisher Punches Polar Bear, Makes Children Cry."

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

In It For The Tank posted:

They're basically the same caliber of politicized stereotype, just on opposite sides of the political spectrum.

The difference is that everybody in the thread knows someone as bad (or worse) than gun nut guy IRL, and about 30% of us had thanksgiving dinner with him yesterday.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The best part of the one from ten years ago was the level select screen. It was all clippings from the Daily Bugle with anti-Punisher headlines. "Punisher Punches Polar Bear, Makes Children Cry."

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm actually replaying this on pc at the moment, and I'd forgotten that there was some publisher mandate to the devs that if you did a special interrogation on a bad guy and he gave up the goods, you then lost points if you finished them off in the drill press/car crusher/electric eel tank etc.

Oh, you, a murderer, told me your buddies were waiting in an ambush next door? Well thank you, off you go.

Yes, very Punisher :thunk:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That and turning the screen black and white were to escape getting an AO rating iirc

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Yeah the bottom panel was the photo under the headline.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I'm actually replaying this on pc at the moment, and I'd forgotten that there was some publisher mandate to the devs that if you did a special interrogation on a bad guy and he gave up the goods, you then lost points if you finished them off in the drill press/car crusher/electric eel tank etc.

Oh, you, a murderer, told me your buddies were waiting in an ambush next door? Well thank you, off you go.

If you're on PC, I think the uncensor mod gets rid of the point reduction for killing, too.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

dont even fink about it posted:

I never really liked 2004 Punisher because frankly Jane is the wrong actor for the Punisher,

Go, thank you. I can never take that dude seriously, especially as a macho tough guy leading man, after that goofball he played in Boogie Nights. He seems like he should be in Coen Brothers movies or something, not playing Frank Castle.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
There’s a weird recurring theme I’ve noticed with the Netflix marvel shows.

I’m working on a post about this. It’s basically all about the weird disparity that exists within fourms such as this.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

verdigris murder posted:

There’s a weird recurring theme I’ve noticed with the Netflix marvel shows.

I’m working on a post about this. It’s basically all about the weird disparity that exists within fourms such as this.

Is it something like different online communities, despite seeing the same thing, might as well have been watching two different shows based on the discussion?

nael
Sep 10, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Actually killing the guy with the thing you're threatening with loses points, but if you just shoot him in the back of the head you gain points. It's a weird system. And going on what someone said about Thomas Jane not being the right actor for The Punisher, maybe he isn't, but his voice is perfect.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

nael posted:

Actually killing the guy with the thing you're threatening with loses points, but if you just shoot him in the back of the head you gain points. It's a weird system. And going on what someone said about Thomas Jane not being the right actor for The Punisher, maybe he isn't, but his voice is perfect.

I think a lot of the complaints about Jane as Punisher had to do with the way the film was written. And, to be honest, that film has grown on me a lot since it came out. It changed a lot about the character (okay, honestly, making him from Miami and not NY really changed the tone for me) but it was comic-book as hell in a good way. Really, all the modern Punishers have done a great job of playing the role in their own way (Jane was a great 2000s comic book character, Stevenson was fantastic as being a joyless, pragmatic killer, and Bernthal nailed the man who can never be home again and finds solace in endless conflict).

Also, I have a lot of respect for Jane for being enough of a fan of the character to make a great MAX one-shot like Dirty Laundry for no reason other than that he wanted to.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Finally finished it.

I think it was pretty good. Marvel Netflix is now DD1, JJ, DD2 first half, Punisher, LC first half, etc.

It was a bit light on story, but the characters were all solid and their motivations believable.

I didn't like the depiction of kevlar. Specifically, it shouldn't be possible to eat ten submachine gun rounds to the back and just shake it off as if nothing happened, even if you're Frank Castle. Combined with Frank's incredible ability to heal and recover massive amounts of lost blood, he felt a bit too invulnerable as a character and that really took away from the excitement during firefights.

I was also a bit :thunk: about a 50 cal sniper round being stopped by bulletproof glass.

Also also, I think these shows need to start making cops and SWAT teams a bit more threatening. The way Billy put them down one by one via headshots felt a bit too video game-y. Yeah he's spec ops but still.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I dunno, a CIA safehouse having glass that can stop a .50 BMG doesn't seem like that much of a stretch. When you're armoring a building and can just make the glass as thick as you want, you can do a lot that you can't on a car or a vest.

Nor as serious a combatant as Frank withstanding a bunch of rounds to the vest. DD's helmet protected him (mostly) from a 9mm to the face at fistfight range, so that kind of tech exists, thicker armor on a less vulnerable body part at longer range doing better isn't unreasonable.

Frank's thing is also just standing up and fighting on with injuries that he really shouldn't; he's shaving years off his life because he doesn't care.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

enraged_camel posted:

Finally finished it.

I didn't like the depiction of kevlar. Specifically, it shouldn't be possible to eat ten submachine gun rounds to the back and just shake it off as if nothing happened, even if you're Frank Castle. Combined with Frank's incredible ability to heal and recover massive amounts of lost blood, he felt a bit too invulnerable as a character and that really took away from the excitement during firefights.

Ehhh, with a steel plate (ceramic not so much after that many hits) in, I could buy it in a comic book show, and that vest was super heavy looking like it had a shitload of trauma panels in it. You can stop a pistol caliber round with ~1.5 phonebooks, so...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's also not just kevlar. It's Marvel Universe (616?) kevlar. Who knows what kind of weird poo poo it can do in this universe? If you hit it with a DC charge it might implode in a localized area enough to take out a car, there's no telling!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RareAcumen posted:

It's also not just kevlar. It's Marvel Universe (616?) kevlar. Who knows what kind of weird poo poo it can do in this universe? If you hit it with a DC charge it might implode in a localized area enough to take out a car, there's no telling!

Relax, he bought it from the Vulture so it's also proof against lasers, railguns, and plasma cannons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Relax, he bought it from the Vulture so it's also proof against lasers, railguns, and plasma cannons.

Having movies of my knowledge about comic book characters come from the movies and animated shows, it's always wild when people bring up villains that don't show up repeatedly as still relevant. It's crazy. It's like if someone's talking about Joe Chill putting Vandal Savage into a coma.