Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

a neat cape posted:

He's just not good at QB evaluation
His biggest problem is drafting quarterbacks based on raw talent instead of ones who have already established themselves in the college game. Imagine how good Paxton Lynch would be if he wasn't brain dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SHOAH NUFF posted:

He brought in an insane class of FA agents like Talib, Ward, Ware, Emmanuel Sanders, Wade Phillips and some others I'm forgetting. The main and only good thing Elway has done is that FA haul of 2013/2014. His drafts, handling of coaches, all that other stuff leaves a lot to be desired

Yeah he's not terrible but between the offense being garbage and the horrendous QB situation and his lack of accountability it could be a worrisome situation. A lot's gonna depend on this next draft and whether they can get a QB worth a drat.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I wonder how much different the Broncos would be if they had completed that trade for Kaepernick last season. It would have changed football history!

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I wonder how much different the Broncos would be if they had completed that trade for Kaepernick last season. It would have changed football history!

Or if they had promoted Adam Gase to HC and/or not pushed out Wade.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Thanks again for pushing Wade Phillips out Denver!

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I honestly think they'd be winning their division right now if they had. There were so many games this season that Siemian single-handedly lost.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

a neat cape posted:

He also basically turned the 2013 Offensive juggernaut Broncos who couldn't stop anyone into the 2015 defensive juggernaut team in two seasons. It was drat impressive.

He's just not good at QB evaluation

The complete process for accomplishing that:

1. Hire Wade Phillips as DC

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eric the Mauve posted:

The complete process for accomplishing that:

1. Hire Wade Phillips as DC

I dunno man, they had/have some pretty good pieces there too.

But yeah the Son of Bum is real good.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah the Elway thing is real tough because he's not good at his job but he's also a franchise legend. If he wasn't named John Elway he would probably be seeing the door sometime soon but have fun explaining that move to the fans.

Doesn't Elway also have minority ownership in the team?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I hope Elway gets completely drunk on power and just names himself head coach

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Timby posted:

Doesn't Elway also have minority ownership in the team?
In 1998, he was offered a 10% stake in the team but he turned it down: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/14707017/john-elway-once-passed-chance-big-stake-denver-broncos-nfl

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Benne posted:

I hope Elway gets completely drunk on power and just names himself quarterback

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

No Butt Stuff posted:

I can't wait to see the details of that contract. It's weird that he would go to Cleveland of all places, unless he just really missed the rust belt.

Have you seen the draft assets they have this year? 5 picks in the first two rounds and 100 million something in cap space with no lovely contracts besides Britt.

Ive already seen an article in USA today saying Sashi will go down as the NFL version of Hinkie. Process 2.0 bitches. Other sports media sources have said the same thing. If Dorsey can identify talent as well as he has been the Browns might get somewhere for once.

That roster is full of young talent that Hue Jackson is incapable of developing and i cant wait to see how he fucks up Josh Rosen next year.

And someone mentioned Williams isnt without blame. Yeah having Peppers sometimes an actual 30 loving yards off the LOS is retarded given thats about the most useless thing you can do with his skillset but the defense does fairly well when the offense doesnt go 3 and out constantly or Kizer doesnt turn the ball over endlessly.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

This is the biggest indictment of his decision making.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Wouldn't this have been illegal or have salary cap implications because Elway was still playing at the time?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

DariusLikewise posted:

Wouldn't this have been illegal or have salary cap implications because Elway was still playing at the time?

Salary cap rules aren't something they concern themselves with.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

DariusLikewise posted:

I'm pretty sure it would have been illegal

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, it was something like (Al Davis version incoming) the Broncos circumvented the salary cap and owed something like $29m to Elway and Terrell Davis between '96-'98. At one point in there Pat Bowlen offers Elway a deal that would make him a minority owner of the team instead of paying him that cash.

They ended up getting fined and losing a 3rd round draft pick and tainted those Broncos superbowls forever ever ever ever

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah the Elway thing is real tough because he's not good at his job but he's also a franchise legend. If he wasn't named John Elway he would probably be seeing the door sometime soon but have fun explaining that move to the fans.

Yeah, good luck with that.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Posted in NV but crossposting this quote here too because wowlol

quote:

Haslam doubled down on his support of Jackson. Regarding Hue's 1-27 record as Browns coach, Haslam said, "I wouldn't call that just Hue's record. I think that record is on all of us, including ownership." Haslam also said that Jackson's future in Cleveland is secure even beyond 2018: "We plan on Hue Jackson being our coach for a long time."

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
I think we've talked about it in the AFC West thread before, but Elway's main issue is that he's dreadful at evaluating offensive talent - IIRC most of his picks on that side of the ball have been total whiffs. You could mask that by signing guys like Manning and Welker and Vasquez, but since all those guys are done & retired, the lack of talent on that side of the ball is sorta glaring. He does have a very solid eye for evaluating defensive talent in the draft (Miller, Wolfe, Roby) but for whatever reason it hasn't translated to the offensive side of the ball.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's easy to mock Elway for being a bad QB evaluator despite himself being a Hall of Fame QB, but don't underestimate personal projection in the scouting process. Elway made his fame and fortune being a tall white QB with a cannon arm, so it only makes sense that he'd look for a similar prototype. Hence Brock Osweiler in the second round (which I bet he thought was a total steal), and Paxton Lynch in the first round, both tall white guys with cannon arms. Whether they can actually play doesn't matter, they "looked the part" and that matters to a former player GM clearly trying to build a team in his image.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Benne posted:

Elway made his fame and fortune being a tall white QB.

Only 6'3 actually, which even back then was pretty typical for a starting QB.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
It's actually unsurprising to me that Elway wouldn't be able to evaluate QBs. ESPN did that big piece on him before the 2016 season started and it mentions that one of the reasons why he never became a coach or whatever is because he basically couldn't teach other QBs about what made him great. Elway, whether you loved or (rightfully, if you rooted for other AFCW teams) hated him, was one of the most physically talented QBs to play the sport and so that was the reason why so much of his desperate late-game improv poo poo essentially worked. It also helped him that most of the Denver teams he played on over his career were largely well above average on defense, relative to the rest of the league, so he could afford to play like wet dogshit for stretches in games as he was won't to do. (the contrast between him and, say, Marino in that regard is pretty telling)

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The fact that the defenses were pretty good in a lot of those years have made me kind of dislike Elway a little just because of the media narrative that he was carrying bad teams on his back for his career. There were a lot of flaws on those teams and Reeves wasn't a good coach, but I always wonder how much that narrative has kept some of the other stud players who were on those teams like Mecklenburg and Atwater from getting as much recognition as they should.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Speaking of Elway, I was playing nfl blitz 2000 with some friends a couple weeks ago. That was back before I paid much attention to the NFL outside of Tennessee and Atlanta. It took me a couple games to realize the McCaffrey that Elway kept throwing to is probably Christian's father?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

The Big Jesus posted:

Speaking of Elway, I was playing nfl blitz 2000 with some friends a couple weeks ago. That was back before I paid much attention to the NFL outside of Tennessee and Atlanta. It took me a couple games to realize the McCaffrey that Elway kept throwing to is probably Christian's father?

Yup

I loving hated Ed McCaffrey

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Benne posted:

Yup

I loving hated Ed McCaffrey
Its small because its old, but

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

lmfao

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owns.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

lol that's great.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/08/nfl-coaching-candidates-josh-mcdaniel-david-shaw-pat-fitzgerald-matt-patricia

top 10 young (under 50) coaching prospects:

quote:

10. Panthers defensive coordinator Steve Wilks, who interviewed with the Rams last year and has led Carolina’s rebound from 2016 on his side of the ball.

9. Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia. Forget his Metallica tailgate look and the clown shirt—the guy has worked magic with a talent-poor New England front seven and has a brilliant mind for football.

8. Time to start thinking about ex-Raiders coach Dennis Allen. He’s pumped life into a long-awful Saints defense, quickly incorporating a raft of young stars to do it.

7. A position coach next: Philly’s John DeFillippo. Flip’s been a coordinator twice before, and as Eagles quarterbacks coach has been as important to Carson Wentz’s development as anyone on the Philly staff.

6. Chiefs offensive coordinator Matt Nagy, a creative mind who had the NFL on its heels in September and October. Yes, K.C. has leveled off, but Nagy gave a glimpse of what he could do, and can lead a room.

5. Texans defensive coordinator Mike Vrabel. In his 14 seasons as a player, Vrabel developed a rep as a heady, dependable leader, and all of that has shown up in his four years as an NFL assistant.

4. Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald. It’d take a lot for him to leave his alma mater, but if you want a guy who does more with less, this is your guy. He could be an interesting candidate for Chicago.

3. Seahawks defensive coordinator Kris Richard. He’s coached eight NFL seasons, played five in the league, and his work now, with Kam Chancellor and Richard Sherman shelved, will be watched closely.

2. Stanford coach David Shaw. He’s built an incredibly resourceful program and he’s developed a lot of NFL talent. But what goes for Fitzgerald goes for Shaw—it’ll tough to pry him from his alma mater.

1. Former Broncos coach Josh McDaniels. Over the last seven years as coordinator in New England, we’ve seen all the things that made him the McVay of 2009 when Denver hired him for his short head-coaching stint. He’s a brilliant tactician and developer of quarterbacks. And I think he’s learned from his failures, like his current boss once did.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Zerilan posted:

The fact that the defenses were pretty good in a lot of those years have made me kind of dislike Elway a little just because of the media narrative that he was carrying bad teams on his back for his career. There were a lot of flaws on those teams and Reeves wasn't a good coach, but I always wonder how much that narrative has kept some of the other stud players who were on those teams like Mecklenburg and Atwater from getting as much recognition as they should.

I think a lot of why those Denver defenses aren't well regarded historically is because when they got to the SB, they got crushed hard - poo poo like hemorraging 35 points in a quarter to the Doug Williams-led Redskins or Wade's defense in '89 giving up the most points in a SB ever. (The funny thing about that is the Broncos were the best scoring defense in the league by a fair distance that season - it's just the Niner team they went up against was an all-timer)

Still though, those Broncos teams generally had very good defenses, both in talent and coaching - Joe Collider was the Broncos' DC for like 20 years and they were among the stingest groups on that side of the ball over that time span. (I mean, right there with teams like the Steelers, Cowboys etc) And Wade certainly coached the hell out of some of those teams during his first stint in Denver. It's a lot easier for a QB to be able to grind and scrape out wins when you can trust your defense to actually get a stop and get you the ball back late in games, which is pretty much what the Reeves/Elway Broncos did for like a decade.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Doug Williams owned

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

god dammit his son is trash

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Isn't there another McCaffrey son hanging out there somewhere? I swear they're becoming the Plumlees of football.

Ugly Tony
May 6, 2005

It's not even Tuesday, dog
Yep, Max McCaffrey plays WR and bounced around from the Raiders to Packers practice squads the last 2 years

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jack Del Huevos posted:

Yep, Max McCaffrey plays WR and bounced around from the Raiders to Packers practice squads the last 2 years
Max had 1 catch for 3 yards for the Jaguars in like week 3 or something :eng101:

I think he did some return duty but eventually got cut for the current returner, who has one catch for 8 yards. Oh and a punt return for a TD.

coldtaxi
Jan 1, 2009

Max had 1 catch for 3 yards for the Jaguars in like week 3 or something :eng101:

I think he did some return duty but eventually got cut for the current returner, who has one catch for 8 yards. Oh and a punt return for a TD.

There's also one who plays QB who's still in college, I think at Michigan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/939848301242994689

• Locked thread