Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yardbomb posted:

All the setpieces in this game are really cool.

Yeah, times square, general assembly, russian consulate, and amherst's apartment are other gems. Lexington is probably the "weakest" in terms of atmosphere in your big setpiece fight, but the echoes and scenery on the way in are the main focus. I just really like the way the sound (almost solely the sound, too, since the visuals are just industrial building guts) sells the "this place is ripping itself apart as you fight your way through it" aspect of Warrengate. There's similar sound usage in the apartment since you're walking through the place hearing people beg the cleaners not to torch them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Psion posted:

e: or you're arguing that a repeat in the future doesn't make it bad? in which case I disagree.

I should also note 100 is an optimistic guess. It's much more likely to be 150-200 based on step progression from how commendations work. Six days, 150-200 riker named in an event which steals kills? Or waiting potentially months to finish it? You think either of those are reasonable? :shrug:

That's what I'm saying, yeah. Though if this is a commendation that they don't expect everyone to complete the first time I would say that should probably leave those out of the GEs until they/we know for sure how often they're going to be repeated so there can be some kind of timeline in our heads.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
A redditor said it's 150 boss kills and it took him about 1hr 45min to farm it.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Midtown manhattan in a blizzard is a fantastic setpiece itself. That is half of what keeps me coming back to survival.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Jose Oquendo posted:

A redditor said it's 150 boss kills and it took him about 1hr 45min to farm it.

farming how, exactly? Larae -> die -> Larae -> die?

because if so, gross

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Psion posted:

farming how, exactly? Larae -> die -> Larae -> die?

because if so, gross

Yup.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
Got the 6 piece classy D3 set. What stat allocation should i be looking for? 9k stam for the extra shield health? I assume shield resilience mods for the performance mods. And what major attributes should i prioritize?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you need the DLC to enjoy this game?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

Underground and Survival are both fun for different reasons. I'm not a PVP person so I barely touched Last Stand, but I figure if you're going to get 2 of the expansions you may as well get the Season Pass.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

1.8 and Resistance/Skirmish has given people a lot more stuff to do in the base game so right now I'd say no. There's still a lot of content in the DLC though, especially if you don't like the PVP and want more PVE stuff.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Turtlicious posted:

No. Without it you lose a PVE mode, a PVP mode and a combined PVP/PVE mode but there's nothing exclusive locked behind them except a couple of cosmetics.

Also I know this might be unrealistic but man I hope for GE4 they expand the list of associated activities, change them up every day, or raise how much event currency you get from non-mission activities because the same endless four missions (or just lexington if you're a masochist) is kind of grim.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Turtlicious posted:

Enjoy, no. Actually play some things, yes. Dragon's Nest is tied to Underground and Stolen Signal is tied to Last Stand.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Veritas posted:

Got the 6 piece classy D3 set. What stat allocation should i be looking for? 9k stam for the extra shield health? I assume shield resilience mods for the performance mods. And what major attributes should i prioritize?

Honestly, I don't see Classified D3 being a great for anything past challenging missions and incursions. Stamina still does not benefit the team or the encounter as much as firearms and electronics because all it does is allow you to take more damage and the threat mechanics in this game are weak as hell.

Give it a shot. If you stack that much stam you're looking at 2.3 mil shield strength before all damage resilience.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Does anyone play survival? I re-picked the game up with the season pass on sale and survival seems like the most interesting thing. I rolled a new character and got myself to my BoO but cannot figure out how to enter "survival"

I also don't really understand crafting mats. I see that there are yellow rare mats, but there are also yellow rare "division tech" mats. What is the difference?

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 13, 2017

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Finish the game first. The real game starts at 30.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Knifegrab posted:

Does anyone play survival? I re-picked the game up with the season pass on sale and survival seems like the most interesting thing. I rolled a new character and got myself to my BoO but cannot figure out how to enter "survival"

I also don't really understand crafting mats. I see that there are yellow rare mats, but there are also yellow rare "division tech" mats. What is the difference?

You enter survival in the terminal. The terminal is behind the BoO. Enter the main door and run west until you find some open double doors leading down. Once you get there you'll see what's basically a subway station with the special equipment vendor, the blueprint vendor, your stash, and blue ammo box. You'll also see lines on the ground leading to various activities. Pink = global event, Green = Underground, Blue = Last Stand/Skirmish, Yellow = Survival. Head to the survival door to queue for a game or queue for a group for a game.

Mats work like this:
Green -> Blue -> Yellow
10 green = 1 blue
15 blue = 1 yellow

You can condense crafting mats at the crafting station. The station is next to the recalibration station and optimization station.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Rick_Hunter posted:

You enter survival in the terminal. The terminal is behind the BoO. Enter the main door and run west until you find some open double doors leading down. Once you get there you'll see what's basically a subway station with the special equipment vendor, the blueprint vendor, your stash, and blue ammo box. You'll also see lines on the ground leading to various activities. Pink = global event, Green = Underground, Blue = Last Stand/Skirmish, Yellow = Survival. Head to the survival door to queue for a game or queue for a group for a game.

Mats work like this:
Green -> Blue -> Yellow
10 green = 1 blue
15 blue = 1 yellow

You can condense crafting mats at the crafting station. The station is next to the recalibration station and optimization station.

Thank you. What is the distinction between a normal yellow mat and a "division tech" yellow mat?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

Thank you. What is the distinction between a normal yellow mat and a "division tech" yellow mat?

To add onto what Rick_Hunter said I believe Survival only drops gear for the highest level? So you unfortunately you can't use it to gear a character below that. It will get you gear you can throw onto yourself right away at level 30 to get you to World Tier 5 at least.

As for Division Tech its original use was for crafting the best weapons and gear. The crafting that takes Division Tech is mostly useless these days though. Now Division Tech is used for the Optimization Station, also found in the Terminal, which gradually upgrades the stats (at 250k credits and 50 DT per pop) of what you optimize to their best possible value.

Regular yellow materials are also used for crafting stuff but those, depending on the blueprints, are actually useful. You can buy high end blueprints also from a vendor in the Terminal but those blueprints cost Phoenix credits, an end-game currency.

Don't bother crafting or optimizing until you're in the end game.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Kibayasu posted:

To add onto what Rick_Hunter said I believe Survival only drops gear for the highest level? So you unfortunately you can't use it to gear a character below that. It will get you gear you can throw onto yourself right away at level 30 to get you to World Tier 5 at least.

As for Division Tech its original use was for crafting the best weapons and gear. The crafting that takes Division Tech is mostly useless these days though. Now Division Tech is used for the Optimization Station, also found in the Terminal, which gradually upgrades the stats (at 250k credits and 50 DT per pop) of what you optimize to their best possible value.

Regular yellow materials are also used for crafting stuff but those, depending on the blueprints, are actually useful. You can buy high end blueprints also from a vendor in the Terminal but those blueprints cost Phoenix credits, an end-game currency.

Don't bother crafting or optimizing until you're in the end game.

Cool thanks! Is there any distinction on what earns division tech vs normal mats? Also is the darkzone cool and good or still lame and bad as it was when I stopped playing a few months after initial release?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

Cool thanks! Is there any distinction on what earns division tech vs normal mats? Also is the darkzone cool and good or still lame and bad as it was when I stopped playing a few months after initial release?

Depends what you thought was lame and bad about the DZ in the first place. It hasn't changed much at all in terms Rogues. 1.8 changed how Rogues actually go rogue and stop being Rogue so they don't have quite as much an advantage over others but they're still present. The DZ got 3 new areas in the north (07-09) a couple patches ago as well.

And if you stopped that long ago they've also added "Contamination Events" in underground areas of the DZ in addition to Supply Drops. You'll get a "Contamination Level Rising" warning and a few minutes later a "Contamination Level Lowering" alert. The underground areas will be deathzones (virus level 7 or 8 I think) for 2.5 minutes. Once the "Lowered" alert hits gold cleaners will move in, including 2 heavy Named flamethrowers, which have a high, if not guaranteed chance, of dropping at least 1 Sealed Cache and a very high chance of dropping at least 1 Gearset Sealed Caches. Underground areas maintain a virus level of 5 during the "Lowered" phase which will gradually drain your health no matter what until you kill the cleaners in the zone or the event ends after 10 minutes and the cleaners vanish.

Division Tech used to be something you could only really get in the DZ but now you can get it a few other places. Any gold item (and maybe gearsets?) have a chance of recycling into 1 Division Tech in addition to their regular materials. The West Side Piers, the new areas 1.8 added, also have methods to earn it. You'll get a respawning "Alert" which is a simple side mission (kill some dudes, kill some Named enemies, defend a thing, destroy a thing) which gives you 3 DT when you complete it. There's also a mini-assignment that refreshes every 15 minutes that gives you a cache that drops 1 DT when you complete it - these are also simple things like "Get 50 kills" or "Kill 15 enemies with skills" or "Kill 15 enemies with your sidearm."

You'll still probably get DT faster overall in the DZ from DT cases and from extracting Sealed Caches but if you don't like the DZ than the Piers are for you. It is an end-game area though, requires at least WT1, and contains a wide variety of enemies from all the factions working together. Could be regular rioters with baseballs or gold LMB shield guys. No NPC agents though.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Knifegrab posted:

Div tech sources are
DZ:
div tech boxes (1)
purple, yellow, green caches (2-3, 2-5, and 3-8, respectively)
Killed enemies (1, random chance)
LZ:
WSP assignments (1)
WSP missions (3)
Resistance - div tech boxes like the DZ
Breaking down high-end (yellow) items (random chance)

Since you're enjoying the game, I would suggest just playing for fun. Run some survival and learn the map. However, when you do farm div tech, keep in mind that only yellow div tech is used for optimization. There are green and blue div tech but those can only be used to make crafting mats once you open the relevant section of the BoO. There are even blue caches in the dz that will drop blue div tech so don't bother with those. Fortunately, those only show up in DZ01-02 and look like the small gear/gear cache boxes that you see in survival.

Rick_Hunter fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 13, 2017

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Just wanted everyone to know that the Predator now exists in the world of The Division.

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014
A question for those of you active in this game.

If I played the division A LOT near launch but then stopped playing once I hit 30 how tough is it going to be for me to pick back up, and if I did what's your advice on getting re-oriented?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turtlicious posted:

Apparently I bought the Season Pass at some point and never realized, I've put off playing this game for a year because I didn't think I had the season pass.

:suicide:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Ostrava posted:

A question for those of you active in this game.

If I played the division A LOT near launch but then stopped playing once I hit 30 how tough is it going to be for me to pick back up, and if I did what's your advice on getting re-oriented?
Not at all, I did that too. There's a ton more poo poo now as far as gear sets and WT levels but the game still works the same at its base. Game now shits loot at you, so for now just go for bigger numbers until you hit GS256 and then worry about builds and whatnot.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jose Oquendo posted:

Just wanted everyone to know that the Predator now exists in the world of The Division.

I still love that the Ubi games all share a universe like this.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So someone had mentioned that T1 Resiostance was dropping T5 gear and it's getting patched out tomorrow.... I just tried one out and only got the same lovely T1 stuff? This is on PS4.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Fuzz posted:

So someone had mentioned that T1 Resiostance was dropping T5 gear and it's getting patched out tomorrow.... I just tried one out and only got the same lovely T1 stuff? This is on PS4.

From the caches after boss levels not the stuff that drops in the instance

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I dont want to min/max an activity to just farm these event coins but what sort of activities give the most consistent coins?

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

BadLlama posted:

I dont want to min/max an activity to just farm these event coins but what sort of activities give the most consistent coins?

I've been doing Lexington runs. 875 coins per run, and it doesn't take too long.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Veritas posted:

I've been doing Lexington runs. 875 coins per run, and it doesn't take too long.

2 to 3 chests per hour for the 1500 GE one. At least that's my rate of return. I opened 5 chest last night two of them had normal greens which sucks. I get too aggressive with the first and last lex rooms and die to stupid stuff.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Kinda sad that after all this time and work putting into improving the gameplay that people are still "having to" farm Lexington because it's so efficient. I did a solo PVE survival run and obtained 6 survival caches and that made me about 1300 credits. Not worth the time at all in comparison. I know I could just do other stuff and let the GE creds trickle in but I WANT MY CLASSY SETS AAAAAAAAA

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The strike makes farming LaRae even more of a joke because after the first two big guys go down you can just throw a few grenades on larae when she spawns, someone pops combat link, then everyone explodes and dies in 3 seconds.

On the plus side a cache from the new patch gave me a much better rolled LaRae Chestpiece.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 14, 2017

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah, times square, general assembly, russian consulate, and amherst's apartment are other gems. Lexington is probably the "weakest" in terms of atmosphere in your big setpiece fight, but the echoes and scenery on the way in are the main focus. I just really like the way the sound (almost solely the sound, too, since the visuals are just industrial building guts) sells the "this place is ripping itself apart as you fight your way through it" aspect of Warrengate. There's similar sound usage in the apartment since you're walking through the place hearing people beg the cleaners not to torch them.
My absolute favorite mission which no one runs is Times Square. I dunno if it always makes it dark when you get back outside but doing the last part when it's night out is awesome as Time Square lights back up again.

Russian Consolate has a really nice, tense feel to it with the music on.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Fabricated posted:

My absolute favorite mission which no one runs is Times Square. I dunno if it always makes it dark when you get back outside but doing the last part when it's night out is awesome as Time Square lights back up again.

Russian Consolate has a really nice, tense feel to it with the music on.

Uh everyone runs Times Square legendaries

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
Is there some acknowledged fastest way to powerlevel someone? A friend of mine thinks this GE sounds cool but he has like several free minutes a day and is still only at 21. He was 18 yesterday, and I experimented with me joining his group (which set all missions to 25, in which case missions gave him experience) and then with him joining my group at WT5 (which led to missions not giving him experience, but all the enemies were giving him ~1500 exp, so he was leveling just as quickly, and also he got 150 GE credits since I had it on Tactical). I normally have no interest in level grinding or whatever because I play the game to enjoy it, but it'd be fun to have him join us while this thing is active, so any advice is welcome.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

anime tupac posted:

Is there some acknowledged fastest way to powerlevel someone? A friend of mine thinks this GE sounds cool but he has like several free minutes a day and is still only at 21. He was 18 yesterday, and I experimented with me joining his group (which set all missions to 25, in which case missions gave him experience) and then with him joining my group at WT5 (which led to missions not giving him experience, but all the enemies were giving him ~1500 exp, so he was leveling just as quickly, and also he got 150 GE credits since I had it on Tactical). I normally have no interest in level grinding or whatever because I play the game to enjoy it, but it'd be fun to have him join us while this thing is active, so any advice is welcome.

Either of those are probably fine to get him to 30. However once he gets to level 30 have him join your game and give him all the loot until his gear score is in the World Tier 5 range. At that point in his own game it will drop only 256+ gear.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Guillermus posted:

This game has some fun shotguns, I hope you use shotguns because since CoD4 on the 360 we've been talking about shotgunning down pubbies!

I've been gripping a safety orange black market Saiga-12 with ferocious, predatory, and responsive for an age now :haw:

poptart_fairy posted:

I'm hoping that global events become their own toggle at some point in the future. It's a bit silly that there's such a big gap between them.

:same:

I miss the super juicy headshot sounds from the outbreak one or whatever it was.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Hell yes he is. I did that throat clicky noise over prox chat in the DZ ages ago when I was following somebody and they stopped dead in their tracks and spun around all over the place before running away :unsmigghh:

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead
gently caress you weekly cache rng I don't need any more MC gloves, I need a good loving weapon.
Also I just ran by some stupid cleaner bomb and it blew up and killed a dog :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rotten posted:

gently caress you weekly cache rng I don't need any more MC gloves, I need a good loving weapon.
Also I just ran by some stupid cleaner bomb and it blew up and killed a dog :(

FYI you can press Tab (or whatever the melee equivalent on consoles is) to pet dogs.

• Locked thread