Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PlushCow posted:

For VC's skeleton warriors I liked how they marched with a jerky Harryhausen-gait, I wonder if the Tomb Kings warriors will be similar.

Probably not, TK foot soldiers aren't mindless reanimated minions like the VCs. They're still generally not sentient, but they do have some semblance of intelligence and ability to think and act of their own initiative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

Most of them are lost, but three of them are known: Neferata has one in the Silver Pinnacle, Zacharias the Eternal (of the Necrachs) has another one, and Mannfred Von Carstein has the last one. So, at least, this puts the Tomb Kings in a direct collision course with pretty much all Vampire factions.

That book was good and had some of the funniest Tomb King characters ever.
What book is this?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

SirPhoebos posted:

Perched on ancient Slagg, Mazdamundi stirs: "Friendship with Phllip Billings ended; Khatep now BFF!"

this is at least partially correct, insofar as Operation We're Putting The World Back Together, Act Three, Subsection Four, What Do We Do With The Humans says "we have to fix Nehekara, so we can jam all the non-superfluous humans back in there"

whether fixing Nehekara involves accomplishing Khatep's goal of returning the Nehekarans to life or just going back to standard operating procedure of Wipe All Of Them Out And Figure Out Next Steps From There depends rather strongly on how grumpy Mazdamundi is feeling today

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Can’t wait to Khemri Drift all over Boring Von Carsteins face in Settra’s pimp chariot!

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Night10194 posted:

Nothing at all. The whole thing with the Chorfs is that their Dark God only has a single command: Build.

They're trying to meet deadlines designing and building insane magitek they don't necessarily know the purpose of, because their God told them to innovate and design and create, no matter what it takes.

chorfs are p. much the best guys ever and im really looking forward to total warhammer 3, hopefully also featuring my 2nd faves: the ogre kingdoms aka "hungry mouth & friends"

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

pictured: skaven and tomb king alliance

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Asehujiko posted:

What book is this?

It's a Gotrek and Felix book, The Serpent Queen.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
fyi, quick and dirty for the TK heroes.

- Settra is a dick, but a loveable dick. He is eternally pissed over what happened to his people and basically views himself as the true ruler of all of the Warhammer World. Antieverything.

- Khalida is the best, her sister/cousin was one of Nagash's top baddies and tried to turn her. She got cured by the god of poison and snakes and now runs around murdering Vampires for fun. She's also the most pro Order races of the TK, she protects humans as often as she can, and she's basically the only one that realizes the TK aren't coming back from this and they need to protect the new races.

- Khatep just wants things to be ok. He's the one that woke up Settra and told him the bad news, and for it Settra banished him. He basically roams around helping the TK's in their various pursuits, and is the only person actively working to reverse what happened. If we get actual endings attached to the TK stuff, Khatep's is probably the most positive.

- Arkhan the Black is a dick and a bad person. He's got a pimp rear end loving hat though, christ.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Ze Pollack posted:

this is at least partially correct, insofar as Operation We're Putting The World Back Together, Act Three, Subsection Four, What Do We Do With The Humans says "we have to fix Nehekara, so we can jam all the non-superfluous humans back in there"

whether fixing Nehekara involves accomplishing Khatep's goal of returning the Nehekarans to life or just going back to standard operating procedure of Wipe All Of Them Out And Figure Out Next Steps From There depends rather strongly on how grumpy Mazdamundi is feeling today

It was more just me looking at Khatep's startpos and realizing he'll be the best guy to get a friendly to settle the Titan Peaks region.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Arkhan the Black has the uncomfortable distinction of being the only person that actually liked Nagash as a person and, even more uncomfortably, the feeling was mutual

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Khalida appears to start in Lustria, near the Sentinels of Xeti.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Whoa I like that necron cobra.

By the way, does Settra have a unique mount or is it just a run of the mill chariot.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Khalida :swoon:

her staff looks a bit like it's missing a texture in that image though :v:

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

jokes posted:

Whoa I like that necron cobra.

By the way, does Settra have a unique mount or is it just a run of the mill chariot.

It’s a unique magic chariot called the Chariot of the Gods, readily identifiable by being flaming (in screenshots this is visible as the wheels being engulfed in blue fire) and being pulled by 4 Skeleton horses instead of the usual 2.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I really appreciate that Khalida is just a straight up hero powered by holy angry snake venom where her blood should be.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
See, I stopped playing after the 6th edition and a lot of the new stuff confuses me.

But Khalida, the Asp Queen, apparently riding a giant loving snake is a piece of genius and I can't believe I didn't know about it sooner.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

DeathSandwich posted:

Khalida on the Tabletop gave out mad buffs to their skeleton archers and made them some of the most cost effective archer blocks in the game. They had poo poo ballistic skill, but the enemy couldn't take cover saves and the attacks were poisoned (iirc).

to be specific, tomb kings archers only have a ballistic skill of 2 (which, for any other race, would mean in ideal conditions they hit on a 5+ and is lovely) but have a special rule that lets them ignore any modifiers to that. cover, magic items that nerf shooting, special rules, the unit of archers moving and shooting in the same turn, whatever, they always hit on a 5+.

thebardyspoon posted:

"We do not serve.... We rule!".

this is a slightly modified version of Settra's motto/catchphrase; the dude is ludicrously proud, will outright refuse to take orders from anyone else, and will even refuse negotiations with Lesser People (i.e. everyone who isn't settra) even if it was something he was planning on if they say it first because then if he did it it'd be seen as Settra Obeying Lesser People and SETTRA DOES NOT KNEEL

this frequently bites him in the rear end but the nerds love him for it

i'm expecting him to be a huge rear end in a top hat to negotiate with ingame

e: in fact, the entire tomb kings thing (and, arguably, all of undeath in the setting, since nagash was originally a tomb kings priest researching reanimation) started because he didn't want to have to die because SETTRA SHOULD NOT KNEEL EVEN TO DEATH

Night10194 posted:

I really appreciate that Khalida is just a straight up hero powered by holy angry snake venom where her blood should be.

it was that or become a vampire

President Ark fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 20, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm looking forward to potentially playing as an angry vampire hunting mummy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AnEdgelord posted:

Arkhan the Black has the uncomfortable distinction of being the only person that actually liked Nagash as a person and, even more uncomfortably, the feeling was mutual

Given that Nagash was a massive evil rear end in a top hat at pretty much all times of his life and unlife, this means Arkhan was pretty bad too.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 20, 2017

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Did Games Workshop ever give a reason why they didn't extend their model line to Cathay, Nippon, and Ind? They had fairly developed lore, and more models equals more money, generally. Not that GW ever really did anything that made sense.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What do other races think of Tomb Kings? I know their main adversaries are vampires, but what about the other meatbag races?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Aurubin posted:

Did Games Workshop ever give a reason why they didn't extend their model line to Cathay, Nippon, and Ind? They had fairly developed lore, and more models equals more money, generally. Not that GW ever really did anything that made sense.

Lack of interest/demand on both GW and the fan bases part I'm guessing? Also more models doesn't exactly mean more money if no one is buying them, see Bretonnia and Tomb Kings.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 20, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
For fun here are some Models of Arkhan.

His Original

His Current.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Lack of interest/demand on both GW and the fan bases part I'm guessing? Also more models doesn't exactly mean more money if no one is buying them, see Bretonnia and Tomb Kings.

Considering they never did Market Research Until the big company shakeup a few years back maybe they could have changed some things to get them sold.

The TK Model Line was awesome as the video showing it's units proved.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Tomb Kings rule, although I was always under the impression that they were one of the least bought/played factions?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Panfilo posted:

What do other races think of Tomb Kings? I know their main adversaries are vampires, but what about the other meatbag races?

Greenskins think they are a bad fight.

Dwarfs have a few grudge wars with them over stuff both races view as theirs. Dwarfs raided TK cities and used TK objects to make stuff. TK says it's theirs. Dwarfs say otherwise. This has led to some 100 year wars.

Bretonnia, Empire, and Southern Realms mainly have issues with adventurers going down to TK lands and stealing poo poo, then getting murdered/bringing back angry TKs. I don't think they even view the TKs as a faction however, just angry tomb monsters.

Skaven have issues with theft, and the TK/Skaven fight fairly often over it.

Elfs don't interact with them that I know of.

Vampire Counts and TKs are mortal enemies obviously.

Only other race that really cares about TK are Lizardmen, since according to the Great Plan Nekhara is where humans are supposed to live. All humans. Including the humans living in the Bretonnian/Empire lands, and the humans living in Norsca. Humans are supposed to be in the Southlands. NOT UNDEAD. HUMANS. THESE UNDEAD HAVE TO GO, HUMANS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE HERE. This switches from "we should help Khatep turn the TK back into humans." to "just kill them all and put the other humans there." depending on how Mazdamundi is feeling that given day.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Every time I see one of the actual tabletop models I can't help but wonder why anyone would pay a large amount of money for those. Like am I mistaken in saying they really aren't particularly good. Arkhan's original model looks like cheap, lovely plastic and his current model is way too visually busy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rookersh posted:

Elfs don't interact with them that I know of.

Dark and high elves do on a small basis - mostly adventurers and corsairs raiding TK lands for plunder and occasionally causing a TK army to land in Naggarond or Ulthuan.

Wood elves interacting with Tomb Kings is virtually unheard of, and mostly comes from bumping into each other while one is already abroad on another errand.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

arkhan the black has some weird looking colours in-game:

i love his hat though

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 20, 2017

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Rookersh posted:

Only other race that really cares about TK are Lizardmen, since according to the Great Plan Nekhara is where humans are supposed to live. All humans. Including the humans living in the Bretonnian/Empire lands, and the humans living in Norsca. Humans are supposed to be in the Southlands. NOT UNDEAD. HUMANS. THESE UNDEAD HAVE TO GO, HUMANS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE HERE. This switches from "we should help Khatep turn the TK back into humans." to "just kill them all and put the other humans there." depending on how Mazdamundi is feeling that given day.

I remember reading someone post about how the TK protect some human descendants of their old empire.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

unwantedplatypus posted:

Every time I see one of the actual tabletop models I can't help but wonder why anyone would pay a large amount of money for those. Like am I mistaken in saying they really aren't particularly good. Arkhan's original model looks like cheap, lovely plastic and his current model is way too visually busy.

I am ok with his current one being a bit busy because there is only going to be one Arkhan in your army. Arkhan is also relatively cheap for games workshop standards.

But if you want models that look like crap and then became really busy you need look no farther then Arkhan's boss Nagash.

Classic Nagash. (Considered to be one of their worst models ever)

Current Nagash. (With Skeleton for scale.)

For a price example Nagash costs $105 US Dollars. While you can get started a small army started featuring Arkhan for 10 dollars less.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 20, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

More like War hamster fantasy at this point LOL

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am ok with his current one being a bit busy because there is only going to be one Arkhan in your army. Arkhan is also relatively cheap for games workshop standards.

But if you want models that look like crap and then became really busy you need look no farther then Arkhan's boss Nagash.

Classic Nagash. (Considered to be one of their worst models ever)

Current Nagash. (With Skeleton for scale.)

For a price example Nagash costs $105 US Dollars. While you can get started a small army started featuring Arkhan for 10 dollars less.

Classic Nagash was literally my first big-model purchase :mad:

and reasonably close to my last

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Rookersh posted:

Skaven have issues with theft, and the TK/Skaven fight fairly often over it.

Skaven are also the reason Tomb Kings are fairly free willes undead. Back when Nagash was raising his undead armies and looked to be on the verge of conquering the world, the Council of 13 realized they were hosed if they let him. So they pooled the resources of Skavendom and created an incredibly powerful warpsword that would actually be able to kill Nagash. It was essentially a hunk of warpstone that violently irradiated everything around it. Of course no matter what pressure they brought, there weren't any Skaven who they could get to use it to assassinate Nagash.

So they scryed around and found the final living king of Nehekara who Nagash had locked up to torture and gloat over. They sent a stealthy Skaven in who freed him and then threw the super sword at him before legging it out of there.

The council of 13 then basically pooled their magic to support him, and eventually sort of pilot his body as it melted from the warpstone radiation, from Skavenblight as he fought his way to Nagash and killed him, which incidently ended up burning out the council and causing him to decomposed into radioactive waste. The Tomb Kings, now free of his control, became the fundead we love today and the Skaven managed to save the world in a way no one will ever give them credit for.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Zore posted:

Skaven are also the reason Tomb Kings are fairly free willes undead. Back when Nagash was raising his undead armies and looked to be on the verge of conquering the world, the Council of 13 realized they were hosed if they let him. So they pooled the resources of Skavendom and created an incredibly powerful warpsword that would actually be able to kill Nagash. It was essentially a hunk of warpstone that violently irradiated everything around it. Of course no matter what pressure they brought, there weren't any Skaven who they could get to use it to assassinate Nagash.

So they scryed around and found the final living king of Nehekara who Nagash had locked up to torture and gloat over. They sent a stealthy Skaven in who freed him and then threw the super sword at him before legging it out of there.

The council of 13 then basically pooled their magic to support him, and eventually sort of pilot his body as it melted from the warpstone radiation, from Skavenblight as he fought his way to Nagash and killed him, which incidently ended up burning out the council and causing him to decomposed into radioactive waste. The Tomb Kings, now free of his control, became the fundead we love today and the Skaven managed to save the world in a way no one will ever give them credit for.

Oh it's even better then that.

The Skaven that brought the sword to him was dressed up like a Skaven spec ops team, and quite literally just popped open his sarcophagi, threw the sword at his feet and legged it.

The Council tried to be helpful the entire time, so they loaded themselves up in this Kings mind. So as he was dying from HORRIBLE RADIATION POISONING they gave him such helpful thoughts as FASTER FASTER MANTHING, KILL KILL THING YES YES and NO THING, GO LEFT YES near constantly.

They then took the spells Nagash was casting against themselves so he could pull it off, all dying in the process. That's how bad things were at the time. The Skaven were fully united and willing to sacrifice themselves to kill this rear end in a top hat.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

classic nagash has an interesting story

the sculptor wanted him to have a fleshy, withered face like the other mummies, but GW was like NO IT NEEDS TO BE A SKULL

so he made an insanely bad skull face and submitted it, expecting them to go 'oh well fine we'll do the mummy face'

but no, they went with the bad skull

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Nagash has got a great big box of tools. Some of them are magic, some of them aren't. Some of them talk, some of them don't. A lot of them seem to stop working or otherwise fail at inopportune times.

One of them pretty much always works, and is good for a lot of different things. That's Arkhan. That's pretty much their relationship.

Helion fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 20, 2017

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I think those old corny looking models have a certain charm to them. what a cutie you are Nagash!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Tomb Kings rule, although I was always under the impression that they were one of the least bought/played factions?
Your impression was right. However the reason for this is that their rules were always crap. The army was consistently bottom tier in every single edition. As a result no one played them and thus no one bought the models. When a tomb king equivalent came out in Kings of War, a game with actual competitive balance to a degree, they were the highest selling army for the entire model line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

Dwarfs, Ogres and Demons, but CA has already shown that they're willing to implement armies that never existed in WHFB, so who knows what we'll end up with down the line.

Who's this?