Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Norsca

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Similarly, I think Bretonnia didn't get a rules update since what, 5th edition? It wasn't a problem with the models or army concept so much as them just being so wildly out of date.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Tomb Kings rule, although I was always under the impression that they were one of the least bought/played factions?

I played 6e tomb kings, mainly because kid me just wanted a faction that was easy to paint and I lived near a big store that actually had them in stock, but I was the only person I ever met that played them. They lost a lot, and I think if I cared more about winning or losing random games I’d switch armies, but they were fun and people always wanted to play me since again, I was the only person anyone knew who actually played them.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Terrible Opinions posted:

Your impression was right. However the reason for this is that their rules were always crap. The army was consistently bottom tier in every single edition. As a result no one played them and thus no one bought the models. When a tomb king equivalent came out in Kings of War, a game with actual competitive balance to a degree, they were the highest selling army for the entire model line.
Additionally, GW somehow managed to make Tomb Kings really powerful in Age of Sigmar. To the point they were winning tournaments and poo poo. This was after the range had been discontinued and now Tomb Kings models go for ridiculous amounts on ebay.

Night10194 posted:

Similarly, I think Bretonnia didn't get a rules update since what, 5th edition? It wasn't a problem with the models or army concept so much as them just being so wildly out of date.
6th edition. They were always rad as hell with great models, but no one wanted to play an army two editions out of date.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Rookersh posted:

Oh it's even better then that.

The Skaven that brought the sword to him was dressed up like a Skaven spec ops team, and quite literally just popped open his sarcophagi, threw the sword at his feet and legged it.

The Council tried to be helpful the entire time, so they loaded themselves up in this Kings mind. So as he was dying from HORRIBLE RADIATION POISONING they gave him such helpful thoughts as FASTER FASTER MANTHING, KILL KILL THING YES YES and NO THING, GO LEFT YES near constantly.

They then took the spells Nagash was casting against themselves so he could pull it off, all dying in the process. That's how bad things were at the time. The Skaven were fully united and willing to sacrifice themselves to kill this rear end in a top hat.

I enjoy the canon of the Council of Thirteen basically doing a twitchplays to save the world through a dying not-Egyptian man.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

GW's dumbass "we only update one army at a time" policy was what killed the game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

toasterwarrior posted:

I enjoy the canon of the Council of Thirteen basically doing a twitchplays to save the world through a dying not-Egyptian man.

The easiest way to point out how scary Nagash is is that he got Skaven to agree on something.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Terrible Opinions posted:

Your impression was right. However the reason for this is that their rules were always crap. The army was consistently bottom tier in every single edition. As a result no one played them and thus no one bought the models. When a tomb king equivalent came out in Kings of War, a game with actual competitive balance to a degree, they were the highest selling army for the entire model line.

Another good example of this could be seen with the Fimir. Weird Fey Mist beings that were created for Warhammer Fantasy. They never really got off the ground. The reason was they were expensive and sucked. The sculpter for some reason thought they were Ogre sized creatures instead of Orc sized creatures. As a result they were expensive pieces of metal. To make it worse their statblocks were made for their intended size, while their point cost was made for their model size.

So as a result the Fimir had models that were expensive in both money and points, and were terrible for their costs. GW rather then fixing their stats or point values dropped the army. And they were originally created to be the Warhammer line's mascot.

GW's lack of Market Research and stuff really hurt them. The Tomb Kings were just one of the most recent casualties of it. Glad they now do stuff like surveys to try and understand their public's opinion.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 20, 2017

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
Total War: Warhammer 2 - Charlie don't serve

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

I am unbelievably hype for Tomb Kings, and will probably play Snake lady in Lustria first.

As someone who was never really interested in WHFB when I was younger and didn't play TW:W1 but did keep an eye on it I am really enjoying this game and the discussion around it. The characters and stories are really great and Total War is really the perfect game type to use for this kind of setting and show off all the armies and units I never had the money for as a kid. Hearing about what a powerful rear end in a top hat Mannfred is and then one upping it with some of these Tomb King heroes and others is hilarious.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Can Ai Crooked Moon confederate other greenskins?

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
I think TW2 introduced so many interesting races that it made it a game well worth playing. I couldn't imagine enjoying it remotely as much with just dorfs orks empire and vampires.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

maev posted:

I think TW2 introduced so many interesting races that it made it a game well worth playing. I couldn't imagine enjoying it remotely as much with just dorfs orks empire and vampires.

Take that people who played TW1 at launch, you're poo poo and boring.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
We also had Chaos at launch too.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

Knobb Manwich posted:

Take that people who played TW1 at launch, you're poo poo and boring.

Kudos if you enjoyed tw1. I'm just saying TW2 and what follows makes it so much more interesting and colourful.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

maev posted:

Kudos if you enjoyed tw1. I'm just saying TW2 and what follows makes it so much more interesting and colourful.

Nah, I'm just being a boring dick, no need to defend yourself.

TW1 is cool and is good, TW2 is cool and good, I can't wait to not play TW2 ME more. I'll probably preorder TKs and never play them.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Mahasamatman posted:

YES

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Mahasamatman posted:

not emptyquoting

EDIT: Okay actual content. I like that all the TK start positions. Settra's going to be spicing up the Kroq/Queek bromance, Khatep gives Maz, Mal and Mom a new playmate, Khalida can show Teclis and Skrolk how to stop being weirdos, and even Arkhan is in a good spot to keep Tyrion company.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 20, 2017

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

SirPhoebos posted:

not emptyquoting

EDIT: Okay actual content. I like that all the TK start positions. Settra's going to be spicing up the Kroq/Queek bromance, Khatep gives Maz, Mal and Mom a new playmate, Khalida can show Teclis and Skrolk how to stop being weirdos, and even Arkhan is in a good spot to keep Tyrion company.

Khalida's start position also adds yet another LL to the Lustrian Thunderdome. If they do end up making a playable Vampire Coast, that continent is going to be an LL mass grave once you're a few turns in.

Baron Porkface posted:

Can Ai Crooked Moon confederate other greenskins?

Yes. It's not a bad way of getting a toehold in the Badlands.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

MonsterEnvy posted:

For fun here are some Models of Arkhan.

His Original

His Current.

I wonder if they'll update Arkhan and Mannfred (and Neferata if she's added) to give them their special End Times mounts if they get around to adding Nagash as an event or w/e.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Weissritter posted:

I remember reading someone post about how the TK protect some human descendants of their old empire.

They do, and in fact TK cities tend to open to trade with other nations and even immigration. The TKs view their living human descendants as their own subjects still, and the TKs tend towards a "firm, but fair" approach to governance. Obey the laws, pay your taxes, and don't argue with the mummies, and Nekhara isn't a bad place to live. You've even got unsleeping, undying armies protecting the land.

Individual Tomb Kings tend to be more (Khalida) or less (Arkhan) benevolent, but on the whole they're fairly hands-off.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Well with the explanations and then the trailer I am pumped for Tomb Kings, all those models look gorgeous too with all the detail. With that said what races are left to expand with/whats left for warhammer 3? Chaos Dwarfs and like Ogres? I never knew as much about Fantasy as I did 40k.

I think Kislev's a pretty solid bet for inclusion in game 3, either from the start or as a DLC or FLC (being implemented somewhat like Bretonnia was as a custom battle and AI faction only and then getting a deeper roster and unique gameplay mechanics later doesn't seem completely unlikely for them).

What's more they had an army book (though it wasn't a big one, published in White Dwarf) in 6th edition or something, with their own models and special characters.

I sperged out and did a whole post on Kislev a while ago, could dig that up again if anyone's interested.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Getting taken over by the Tomb Kings has pros and cons. The pro is that they take their duties as rulers very seriously and will earnestly do their best to both protect you and administer your home well. The con is that they expect you to take your duties similarly seriously and their law code is written on centuries old stone tablets in a language you might not understand.

E: One of the reasons they rule is that Hams is one of the only settings where ancient egyptian mummies and skeletons taking over a city might actually improve things for the locals.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Getting taken over by the Tomb Kings has pros and cons. The pro is that they take their duties as rulers very seriously and will earnestly do their best to both protect you and administer your home well. The con is that they expect you to take your duties similarly seriously and their law code is written on centuries old stone tablets in a language you might not understand.

E: One of the reasons they rule is that Hams is one of the only settings where ancient egyptian mummies and skeletons taking over a city might actually improve things for the locals.

Really? According to a little I read on Araby and such it seems that in that case the Tomb Kings have mostly just completely destroyed a number of Arabyan cities.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

SteelMentor posted:

I wonder if they'll update Arkhan and Mannfred (and Neferata if she's added) to give them their special End Times mounts if they get around to adding Nagash as an event or w/e.

Hope not, because they're all awful-looking

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Randarkman posted:

Really? According to a little I read on Araby and such it seems that in that case the Tomb Kings have mostly just completely destroyed a number of Arabyan cities.
Hey, when a mummy shows up leading a skeleton army and demands his favorite doodad back... you'd better give it back. :v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Safety Factor posted:

Hey, when a mummy shows up leading a skeleton army and demands his favorite doodad back... you'd better give it back. :v:

Tablet said that was the punishment for stealing that specific super important doodad I guess.

Really shoulda read that tablet.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Randarkman posted:

When the Tomb Kings ask you nicely to surrender and you'll be treated fairly, they mean it. They also mean the implicit "or else" attached to that ultimatum.

And some TKs like Apophas and Arkhan really are dicks.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
One of the qualities of Tomb Kings that separate them from other generic fantasy undead is that they are not inherently malevolent or evil, and they are not more dickish than your average imperial elector count or bretonnian duke. Their current condition is pretty much an accident, the result of mixing the funerary rituals of the mortuary cult with Nagash great spell.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Cythereal posted:

They do, and in fact TK cities tend to open to trade with other nations and even immigration. The TKs view their living human descendants as their own subjects still, and the TKs tend towards a "firm, but fair" approach to governance. Obey the laws, pay your taxes, and don't argue with the mummies, and Nekhara isn't a bad place to live. You've even got unsleeping, undying armies protecting the land.

Individual Tomb Kings tend to be more (Khalida) or less (Arkhan) benevolent, but on the whole they're fairly hands-off.

That is cool, though how did any of them avoid being turned into mummies to have descendants? Outlying cities?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Randarkman posted:

I think Kislev's a pretty solid bet for inclusion in game 3, either from the start or as a DLC or FLC (being implemented somewhat like Bretonnia was as a custom battle and AI faction only and then getting a deeper roster and unique gameplay mechanics later doesn't seem completely unlikely for them).

What's more they had an army book (though it wasn't a big one, published in White Dwarf) in 6th edition or something, with their own models and special characters.

I sperged out and did a whole post on Kislev a while ago, could dig that up again if anyone's interested.

Yeah, I personally feel Kislev will be one of the headliners for game 4 (along with Daemons of Chaos, Ogre Kingdoms and Chaos Dwarfs). They need a heroic/human faction to ground the game, like the Empire and High Elves were for their respective titles.

I wouldn't expect them as a pre-order DLC because after the Norsca fiasco I don't see CA adding new content for game 1 (since it would then need to be ported to all three games) and Kislev doesn't make sense for people who only have game 2.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

ZearothK posted:

I wouldn't expect them as a pre-order DLC because after the Norsca fiasco I don't see CA adding new content for game 1 (since it would then need to be ported to all three games) and Kislev doesn't make sense for people who only have game 2.

Of course. I meant to say DLC or FLC for game 3, maybe in the same way Bretonnia was implemented.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Weissritter posted:

That is cool, though how did any of them avoid being turned into mummies to have descendants? Outlying cities?

IIRC Tomb Kings were turned into mummies through the same process that we use in the real world, it's just that in Warhammer Nagash killed everyone in the region and then resurrected the dead, so all of the mummified corpses popped back to life.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I actually bought and painted the awful 1992 skellington models and the og metal tomb king models and the 6th ed army book was mine. I remember incantations and Bone Giants and the experimental update where they got bows. I remember when we all wanted new skelingtons and plastic ushabti and will forever hate that we got "hierotitans" and "necrolith colossi" and both variations of "dumbass dudes who surf snakes." Casket of Souls? Screaming Skull Catapult? Decent skeletons? No gently caress you, buy three of these new dumb sphinxes.

So basically shut up everyone this is my time

"Settra: he costs a lord slot and also like three heroes. Please ask your opponent before fielding him."

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 20, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

turn off the TV posted:

IIRC Tomb Kings were turned into mummies through the same process that we use in the real world, it's just that in Warhammer Nagash killed everyone in the region and then resurrected the dead, so all of the mummified corpses popped back to life.

Yep. The living people of Nekhara are descendants of the commoners and nobles not important enough to be mummified.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
the worst part about tomb kings is when they take too many wounds and just teleport away

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm curious where Khalida will end up on the ME campaign map.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Randarkman posted:

Thats because that was Arkhan. The guy has traditionally really screwed over Araby.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
https://www.twitch.tv/totalwarofficial

Theres a stream going on right now discussing TK mechanics.

The biggest bombshell?

Tomb King units cost nothing to recruit, and have no upkeep.

Instead they have a cap that you can expand by building the specific buildings so want more skeletons build more barracks etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gejnor posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/totalwarofficial

Theres a stream going on right now discussing TK mechanics.

The biggest bombshell?

Tomb King units cost nothing to recruit, and have no upkeep.

Instead they have a cap that you can expand by building the specific buildings so want more skeletons build more barracks etc.

Sounds like a strong incentive for expansion, which I think is something we were all worried about.