Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much money do you spend on this game?
This poll is closed.
Thar she blows ($300/mo.) 9 5.52%
We got our hooks in 'em ($100-$300/mo.) 11 6.75%
They's taking the bait! ($20-100/mo.) 25 15.34%
Toss 'em back in the sea. (F2P - $20/mo.) 118 72.39%
Total: 163 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Agreed posted:

I'm using refresh pots to stock up on gil because I want to do Ramza for sure, and... eventually grind out at least one of Eileen or Fohlen depending. Probably Fohlen, love the chocabo and he's potted up

I have 5 fohlens, currently using 2 in Arena. However I'll probably put 4 there with Ayaka, two dual-wielding and two DH to gently caress over any 100% evade units I come across.

Vortex enhancements will make it one of the best low-budget offense + defense arena abilities: Imbue weapon with wind, decrease wind resistance, and add 2 evasion stacks, all while dealing AoE damage. It's not too expensive to enhance at 25/20/8/1/0 power crysts, and it'll do good work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Fohlen has made it into my party on purpose a lot even decently lately (well, when I went for Bahamut - innate reduce encounters that was not bugged!), despite not being super meta in his skillset (right on the edge, though, I remember when I pulled him thinking - "at least I finally pulled a chainer, but...") he nevertheless is easy to gear for full dodge, has innate provoke that's decent, and can do some damage at the same time

Noctis fills his role as provoking dodge tank that can still pack heat way better though, among the many things he does if you need it. I wish I'd pulled this dude in February instead of December but hey man better late than never

RNG can kiss my rear end btw I'm about 360 NRG into a quest for 5 Power Heavicrysts and I have so many guard and tech ones now, so many, still 5 to go on Power

It's a real bad streak, feeling like an rear end in a top hat for not getting turtles in exchange for that NRG right now.

(No sooner do I post than I get 2 power heavies in the next run, but still, this has been unfortunate a bit)

Agreed fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 8, 2018

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Curious as to what the Lasswell GE buffs will be. “Make him more versatile” was the claim but I really don’t know what that means. There’s a lot of ways they could tweak him. But hopefully he’s a tad more on par with the rest of the CG dudes. I understand he’s going to lag behind just by nature of being released first, but still.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

my arena team of WkN/Ayaka/3xAshe has been cleaning up near the top 2000 of arena where most teams are aoe magic teams which get absolutely crushed by WKN

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

rabidsquid posted:

oh gently caress i have to go back to the support cryst mines after i just spent a bunch of them thinking "heh ramza enhancements yea right :smug:"

Aileen and Ramza in one fell swoop. I believe they were both by far the most delayed/overdue ones compared to JP at the same points in the game.

Now to begin the vigil for Lunera enhancements.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Agreed posted:

RNG can kiss my rear end btw I'm about 360 NRG into a quest for 5 Power Heavicrysts and I have so many guard and tech ones now, so many, still 5 to go on Power

It's a real bad streak, feeling like an rear end in a top hat for not getting turtles in exchange for that NRG right now.

(No sooner do I post than I get 2 power heavies in the next run, but still, this has been unfortunate a bit)

We can be lovely cryst luck pals, back when T.Terra got her enhancements I spent ~800 energy to get 8 tech heavicrysts to finished off Magical Activation +2. On the plus side I have a ton of power crysts! :v:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

rabidsquid posted:

oh gently caress i have to go back to the support cryst mines after i just spent a bunch of them thinking "heh ramza enhancements yea right :smug:"

I would have won the bet we didn't make :smug:

Mad Fnorder posted:

So Enhanced Ramza is better than Roy in that he's got all his stuff up front, whereas Roy's better after ramping up?

Yes, but the ramp up is only 2 turns and doesn't effect your ability to FTK. I'm on the fence about enhancing Ramza now that I have Roy. Really doesn't seem like it would be worthwhile unless we encounter a boss that has a ton of AoE instakill stuff and you have to float him with Rikku reraises.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 8, 2018

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Ramza also doesn't break enemies with his song, so there's that, although I doubt many used Roy for his breaking potential.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

See I loving new it that that the moment I started working on my magic team that they'd release the Aileen enhancements.

Now I need to grind out the two champion belts and veritas of heaven TMRs.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

HGH posted:

Ramza also doesn't break enemies with his song, so there's that, although I doubt many used Roy for his breaking potential.

Yeah, the full-break on the final song is nice but ultimately not that useful, since most bosses are immune to 2-3 of the breaks anyways. You can easily get away with using another unit to apply whatever single breaks you need.

Roy's LB song is where it's at, it's just plain stronger when maxed and he doesn't lose access to it if you switch him around in 10-man trials. The question then becomes, can you wait for his LB song or do you need a really strong full buff + MP/HP regen right away? If you can't afford to wait, Ramza will be your man.

Edit:

Cao Ni Ma posted:

See I loving new it that that the moment I started working on my magic team that they'd release the Aileen enhancements.

Same here. I have three Aileens, I am going to kit every single one of them the gently caress out. I'll be back from the TMR mines in 2 months or so.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Office Thug posted:

The question then becomes, can you wait for his LB song or do you need a really strong offensive buff + MP regen right away?

Turn 1 of the chain is same strength defensive buffs and hp regen as Ramza. At the start of turn 3 he’s the same as Ramza. At turn 5 there’s breaks (so you don’t have to continue with your other breaker most likely), turn 7 is just better.

So if there’s a fight which lasts 2 turns but you absolutely must have Ramza for the defensive buffs to also survive 2 turns and offensive buffs to edge out a 2 turn kill, yes, Ramza is better for that.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Cao Ni Ma posted:

luckily a single aileen is a bit light on materia requirements since fist mastery/veritas of the heavens/dual wield occupy three of the four slots so you just naturally toss adventurer v in the last one.

multiple aileens is a different story since there's only one aigiaons arm, although i suppose that lets you go with greatsword mastery and you only need the two champion belts, but that does let you use genji glove for more stuff i suppose.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Got my Wilhelm deck out nearly as best as I can. I'm pretty happy about it

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Aileen was my powerhouse DPS character until I pulled A2, who took over immediately and still plows through all content.

Now I have 3 Aileens, Oldlandeau, and Darklord and really :effort: to bother getting them all equipped.

Chains for days if I ever do.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
I got Kaliva and Barusa already, so I was really hesitant to even half-pull on this banner. Did it anyway today.

gently caress Toby. Never Again.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

luckily a single aileen is a bit light on materia requirements since fist mastery/veritas of the heavens/dual wield occupy three of the four slots so you just naturally toss adventurer v in the last one.

multiple aileens is a different story since there's only one aigiaons arm, although i suppose that lets you go with greatsword mastery and you only need the two champion belts, but that does let you use genji glove for more stuff i suppose.

I have everything I need to set up two really loving insane aileens, given that I already have a lot of the things I need to pump them up BUT I still need to grind out a whole lot more to get them to the very top. 2 VoH, 2 Champions, 1 VoD, 1 Duke. God help me if I end up pulling new years chocobro.

And then you run into the problem that Aileen cant chain for poo poo on 10 mans till Camille gets her 6*. I think I'll stick with my T.Terras and Christine for the time being, but I'll probably enhance one and gear her eventually.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Office Thug posted:

Same here. I have three Aileens, I am going to kit every single one of them the gently caress out. I'll be back from the TMR mines in 2 months or so.

16 runs and what do ya get

Another day older and 0.16 percent

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I have everything I need to set up two really loving insane aileens, given that I already have a lot of the things I need to pump them up BUT I still need to grind out a whole lot more to get them to the very top. 2 VoH, 2 Champions, 1 VoD, 1 Duke. God help me if I end up pulling new years chocobro.

And then you run into the problem that Aileen cant chain for poo poo on 10 mans till Camille gets her 6*. I think I'll stick with my T.Terras and Christine for the time being, but I'll probably enhance one and gear her eventually.

actually one of the aileen enhancements is 50% attack from spear mastery and i am starting to wonder if 2x champions belt bumps into the 300% stat cap. also i guess she can perfect chain with inichol for the 10 man? although that cant elemental chain obviously so its not quite as good as camille will be

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I haven't played this game since August so I don't know the meta at all. What major changes should I be aware of? I think I remember hearing about evolutions that required 5 copies of that particular unit.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Mill Village posted:

I haven't played this game since August so I don't know the meta at all. What major changes should I be aware of? I think I remember hearing about evolutions that required 5 copies of that particular unit.

on the JP servers they introduced a new tier, 7*, which requires merging 2 copies of a base 5-star unit. They added super TMRs too, which are good but not meta-defining iirc (mostly big stat sticks etc.). Those need even more copies of units although they have mentioned adding special STMR moogles.

None of that is particularly close to coming to global. They upped the 5* gacha rates by a significant amount here?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Gumi is taking suggestions on social media for the next couple of days, now is the time to tell them you want the Fountain Of Lapis to be a permanent thing or individual team loadouts or whatever.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
What kind of social media

and can I hassle/bug them to bring out the SD3 peoples?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Aw man, if you start social media now they're just gonna think you're a Russian bot!

There's a Facebook thread where they are asking for submissions, for one.

Shaly said on Twitter that comments on the YouTube videos are also passed along to and answered by the producers.

PDQ Law
Aug 4, 2011

Mill Village posted:

Meta-changing units released:
Ayaka is here, and will be a top healer for some time.

Mystea (JP Mistair) is here, bringing the AOE magic cover tank meta.

Cloud is here, ushering in the era of True Doublehand (TDH, also shin-doublehand) Fixed Dice (FD) builds for whales.

Roy is here and Ramza enhancements are supposed to be next, meaning the bard meta is starting.

Other unit things to note:
Noctis and his TMR were un-nerfed.
Notable limited release units you won't get were Halloween's Illusionist Nichol, who can turn any other unit into an AOE physical cover tank, and Christmas's Christine, who among other unique things can perfect chain with enhanced T.Terra.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Random question: have Y'shtola or Kelsus gotten a 7* form yet in Japan? They are 5* base units...

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Random question: have Y'shtola or Kelsus gotten a 7* form yet in Japan? They are 5* base units...

JP has been pretty remiss about putting up 7* versions of limited units. I think that Ray Jack JP-side is the only one so far?

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!

Office Thug posted:

JP has been pretty remiss about putting up 7* versions of limited units. I think that Ray Jack JP-side is the only one so far?

Nah, the Dragon Quest collab added 3 new ones. Estark, Dragon Lord got one, and then Marquis deLeon (who was actually a freebie from raid summons and raid points)

I imagine Y’shtola will get one. But JP just had a raid with the player created units and Kelsus is still at 6* max so I doubt he’ll get one.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Yay, my account is still being investigated by Facebook, so I missed a day of gil snappers and at least 3 days of this raid :negative:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

rabidsquid posted:

actually one of the aileen enhancements is 50% attack from spear mastery and i am starting to wonder if 2x champions belt bumps into the 300% stat cap. also i guess she can perfect chain with inichol for the 10 man? although that cant elemental chain obviously so its not quite as good as camille will be

I wish I had 10 more mastery materia. Using Large Sword Mastery + Proud Fencer for that, of course Aigaion's kit of punchfist stuff for powerful robo-fisting, and Sworn Six's Pride Wind to give spear's the edge

I have enough Leons that getting a Dark Knight Soul would be a 1500 lapis venture so I might knock that one out soon as I am now using Lightbringer on Orlandeau... I also use A2 as my main grinder physical DPS but I am in love with the oldman for his single slot utility now that I've got his passives to +2 and Divine Ruination to +2 (ended up being more than 700 NRG to get a total of 8 power heavicrysts, wooo)

Maybe I should have waited for Aileen but until I got Aileen I didn't even have a good source of earth element damage for my A2 (and I still don't, as I haven't TMR'd her yet and dunno when that will be the priority). Now Aileen is suddenly even more badass than the oldman, and I've spent my resources on him. Welp. I can still get three high Atk physical attackers with light element and none with earth.

Gonna have to grind like crazy to get support crysts for Ramza too - NRG pots you are not long for this account

Agreed fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 9, 2018

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

PDQ Law posted:

Meta-changing units released:
Ayaka is here, and will be a top healer for some time.

Mystea (JP Mistair) is here, bringing the AOE magic cover tank meta.

Cloud is here, ushering in the era of True Doublehand (TDH, also shin-doublehand) Fixed Dice (FD) builds for whales.

Roy is here and Ramza enhancements are supposed to be next, meaning the bard meta is starting.

Other unit things to note:
Noctis and his TMR were un-nerfed.
Notable limited release units you won't get were Halloween's Illusionist Nichol, who can turn any other unit into an AOE physical cover tank, and Christmas's Christine, who among other unique things can perfect chain with enhanced T.Terra.

Bard meta has been here for a while, since Soleil and Lunera, it's just ramping slower that it did in Japan. We are a few months away from getting CG Nichol which is pretty busted version of a Bard.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

SereneCrimson posted:

Nah, the Dragon Quest collab added 3 new ones. Estark, Dragon Lord got one, and then Marquis deLeon (who was actually a freebie from raid summons and raid points)

I imagine Y’shtola will get one. But JP just had a raid with the player created units and Kelsus is still at 6* max so I doubt he’ll get one.

Welp I forgot about the DQ collab they had recently, despite actually pulling Estark on it.

Agreed posted:

I wish I had 10 more mastery materia. Using Large Sword Mastery + Proud Fencer for that, of course Aigaion's kit of punchfist stuff for powerful robo-fisting, and Sworn Six's Pride Wind to give spear's the edge

I have enough Leons that getting a Dark Knight Soul would be a 1500 lapis venture so I might knock that one out soon as I am now using Lightbringer on Orlandeau... I also use A2 as my main grinder physical DPS but I am in love with the oldman for his single slot utility now that I've got his passives to +2 and Divine Ruination to +2 (ended up being more than 700 NRG to get a total of 8 power heavicrysts, wooo)

Maybe I should have waited for Aileen but until I got Aileen I didn't even have a good source of earth element damage for my A2 (and I still don't, as I haven't TMR'd her yet and dunno when that will be the priority). Now Aileen is suddenly even more badass than the oldman, and I've spent my resources on him. Welp. I can still get three high Atk physical attackers with light element and none with earth.

Gonna have to grind like crazy to get support crysts for Ramza too - NRG pots you are not long for this account

No, you did good enhancing the old guy since you are actively using him and getting a lot of mileage out of him. It's good to act in the moment and not just wait to invest into cool poo poo just because you know one day the meta will have moved on (the meta will always keep moving). But on top of being a good momentary decision, we know the old man also won't fall out of the meta for a good long time, since he'll keep having more ATK via passives than Enhanced DV. And when Sephiroth comes out his crew of potential partners will expand even further. Aileen in comparison has piss-poor options for chaining partnes.

My general rule regarding enhancements is you should not enhance units unless you are ready to use them or actively using them over your other units, in terms of gear, stat/burst pots, etc.. I learned that the hard way when I enhanced a second Ace to hopefully have two Aces chaining Tri-Beam Laser+2, but since I had literally no gear for either of them, by the time I got one of them up to a decent level they had fallen way behind the meta and the second one was never used once.

I made that mistake back in Summer time, and because I hit that enhance button back then I am now missing three Power T5s and a bunch of Power T4s to enhance my Aileens and I'm just kicking myself for it because I could easily get my Aileens going with just a week of TMR farming. And there's gently caress-all I can do about it except waiting for multiple KM and story events.

Edit: Half the quote was cut for some reason

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 9, 2018

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The single handed bow made me wish there was a bow attack materia just so I could use the Archer suit for an extra 30% attack. Well you can do the same with the gunner apron and a gun I guess.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

rabidsquid posted:

She’s 110% base after enhancements, which is not going to leave a lot of breathing room for more % bonuses.

She can get 300% bonus atk with Genji and 50/50/40/40 materia - you’d need earrings/bracer for the second slot.

You could also use plain DW + robo fist and champ belts to get to 290% bonus atk.

I would assume the Genji build probably uses iron duke. I’d be surprised if the robofist build wouldn’t pull ahead of the Genji build. I don’t know what you’d use to squeeze in Yun’s chest piece though. Brave suit might be better because it only overcaps you by 5% without sacrificing the base damage on champ belts (and she can’t equip training clothes).

Amusingly she’s one of the few dps that don’t really need heavy armor. There are setups you can do with it (dv materia) but it’s kind of overkill considering how high her base % atk is.

With odin/bahamut the robo fist build is right at 1200 atk if my napkin math is accurate. The Genji/iron duke build is about 25 points lower. Cruel Oath is also an option but it’s only 7 points above iron duke because you have to downgrade to Demon Mail.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 9, 2018

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

I did a math thing and crunched numbers for how bad farming ~11 x T4 power crysts will be via either the Chamber of Gems or the next best T4/NRG Story Event route. Here's what I got in case anyone's interested.

Here are the specific color T4 per NRG ratios for using # Xons + Raven Cape (Cape = 2 Xons, everyone should get it asap). I'm using the previous story event "Fate of the Dragoon" as reference: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/comments/7hr0s4/se6_fate_of_the_dragoon_loot/

The 90 NRG route ~ Best spot if you cn handle it with enough Xons
5 Xons + Cape --> one T4 every 344 NRG
4 Xons + Cape --> one T4 every 346 NRG
3 Xons + Cape --> one T4 every 396 NRG
2 Xons + Cape --> one T4 every 692 NRG

* Those jumps are because the base chance of the primary T4 drop is 25% (there is a secondary drop too but it's basically "gently caress you" odds of rolling). With 4 Xons and a cape, you can get that primary T4 drop to 100% and after that having more Xons is basically pointless since they only boost the secondary T4 drop chance. But, if you have less than that, the loss is pretty dramatic, as seen, due to how significant a base 25% chance of drop is when it comes to buffs.

The 75 NRG Route
5 Xons + Cape --> one T4 every 417 NRG
4 Xons + Cape --> one T4 every 469 NRG
3 Xons + Cape --> one T4 every 536 NRG

The 85 NRG route has the exact same T4 drop chance as the 75 NRG route, so it's just plain worse.

For reference, here's what you get from the Chamber of Gems according to this very thorough community survey which is probably accurate in every way: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yY0DuB0PrUUe6q0uNxZwE1MluM9jx4waJlvtavR-Vzk/edit#gid=2110432825

Xon/Cape + Locke/Pod -> one T4 every 563 NRG

So, if you can farm the next Story Event 90 NRG route with at least 3 Xons + two murder units, definitely go for it. If you have a really good murder unit, shoot for 4 Xons. Get the loving Cape also, that's literally worth 2 Xons and none of this really works out that well without the cape.

Edit: Oh, and take all of this with a grain of salt. The drop mechanics in this weird obtuse game are far from understood and not everything works the same way ~ locke/pod don't work at all for T1-2 crysts in Story Events, but do in the Chamber, but multiple Lockes/Pods don't stack and neither do multiple Xons/Capes in the Chamber. This is still basically voodoo poo poo right now.

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 9, 2018

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
drat you daylight savings
Lousy Farmers

Also what are the chances they skip Ramza Enhancements, again I mean?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Aileen is probably one of the most versatile characters to gear (actually I think she's the best) because she can use and exploit everything except light shields

Like I can get to 300% attack by via champions belts, dual wield and ,50,40,60 materia. If I had fire chocobros shirt I could get more attack from using deschs instead and using 50/50/60 materia

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KDdidit posted:

I'm just killing it on on-banner poo poo 5* units. 1/2 price and rando tix get me Ray Jack, Nyx, Gladiolus, Loren, and Ice Laswell. Multiple 11 pulls on Cloud, Ayaka, Nier, GLS, and Tidus banners got nuttin'. I mean that's how it works, but still. Don't even remind me of never pulling Tillith but getting Vargas and Elza.

2 Ray Jacks on half pulls, good grief. A 2nd White Knight Materia would be cooler if there was more than 2 Heavy Armor with +ATK

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Office Thug posted:

The 90 NRG route ~ Best spot if you cn handle it with enough Xons
5 Xons + Cape --> one T4 every 344 NRG
4 Xons + Cape --> one T4 every 346 NRG
3 Xons + Cape --> one T4 every 396 NRG
2 Xons + Cape --> one T4 every 692 NRG

This is really depressing, and I even have 3 Xons and the cape (although only 2 of them are level 88 right now).

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I got Xon #3 today so that is nice.

Is Pirate Jake more like Locke + Gil Finder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i am not willing to put forth the effort to get support to fix my account so i can get the raven cape, rip rabidsquid

• Locked thread