Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Grittybeard posted:

I'm sure he's learned quite a bit since he went to Georgia and helped get Mark Richt fired and then spent a year two years coaching QBs on an underwhelming Lions team that fired their coach this season. Obviously this is a man you must snap up before anyone else gets the chance to snag him.

Listen buddy the Lions may not be the best team but we have never employed Brian Schottenheimer :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

GobiasIndustries posted:

Listen buddy the Lions may not be the best team but we have never employed Brian Schottenheimer :colbert:

Oops, poo poo. Colts. My fault. Not sure why I was convinced he was with the Lions.

I...maybe Brissett makes him slightly more impressive?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Kill me

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Quite the roller coaster week for Seahawk fans

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Has Pete Carroll always picked bad assistants or is this a new trend?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
lmao seahawks

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Maybe Pete's going senile and thought he pulled off a brilliant coup getting Marty Schottenheimer

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

much like pete carroll, i am just asking questions

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
maye pete was tired of... almost being good?

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Does anyone have that schotty.gif? The Jets one where 4 receivers ran a 5 yard curl route on 3rd and 8.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Grittybeard posted:

Oops, poo poo. Colts. My fault. Not sure why I was convinced he was with the Lions.

I...maybe Brissett makes him slightly more impressive?

The Lions have a different nepotism hire named Brian. Easy mistake.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I love when poo poo like this happens and they ask the coach about it.

"Someones gotta make a play"

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

goddammit

Volkerball posted:

Perfect, then after Olson gets fired, we'll get a newly fired hue Jackson as oc. What a stupid hire. That's twice now Gruden has hired a dumb rear end. Feels like raider foreshadowing.

I have zero issue with the Olson hiring, not like he's running the offense, Gruden is and Olson's done some good work. But gently caress that piece of poo poo Cable.

Grittybeard posted:

I'm looking forward to the "Raiders have a zero tolerance policy towards DV so Tom Cable never did any of the things it's been widely reported he did" take.

yeah, really really disappointed.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
NFL teams: "We want to find the next Sean McVay"
Also NFL teams: *hire Norv Turner and Brian Schottenheimer*

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
How has Brian Schottenheimer been employed by more than two teams? He's one of the biggest failsons in coaching.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Benne posted:

NFL teams: "We want to find the next Sean McVay"
Also NFL teams: *hire Norv Turner and Brian Schottenheimer*

Panthers went from incompetent to competent. Don't drag them into your nightmare fam.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

BlindSite posted:

Panthers went from incompetent to competent. Don't drag them into your nightmare fam.

They do this every two years though.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Cash Monet posted:

Has Pete Carroll always picked bad assistants or is this a new trend?

Gus Bradley and Dan Quinn were good hires :saddowns:

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

BlindSite posted:

competent based on what?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

WHOOPS posted:

competent based on what?

25 years ago. Norv was an awesome offensive mind when he matched wits with the defenses of Don Shula, Joe Gibbs and Chuck Noll.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

BlindSite posted:

As a Vikings fan, I too remember the excitement of hiring THE Norv Turner as OC. Hope you guys have better luck with it than we did.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The Vikings offense didn't get better last year after Norv left, it wasn't all him.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Norv Turner is fine, but I expect Carolina to still have the red zone issues they had this year. Cam will get more freedom though, which is a benefit.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/952543159971667969

Yikes

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Yeah, the guy who reached the AFCCG literally every year as a coordinator is going to be bad.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

GaussianCopula posted:

Yeah, the guy who reached the AFCCG literally every year as a coordinator is going to be bad.

I wouldn't trust Patricia to be a good coach but :thunk:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Find me someone in the Belichick coaching tree who hasn't screwed the pooch at the pro level. There's not many.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

GaussianCopula posted:

lol at this trolling

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

GaussianCopula posted:

You seem very confident in him.

care to make it interesting?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

RapSheet saying McDaniels to Colts is likely. That leaves Shurmur to the Giants maybe.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Lol Brian Schottenheimer.

There were reports the Seahawks were going to start running a college offense.

Guess they wanted an SEC offense that only scored one touchdown against Georgia tech.

Eric the Mauve posted:

25 years ago. Norv was an awesome offensive mind when he matched wits with the defenses of Don Shula, Joe Gibbs and Chuck Noll.

So we’ve entered the early nineties.

A vast improvement over the 1970s football panthers fans have been enduring.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
My perspective at this point is that while Patricia could be a trainwreck, from the information about him that I've seen he does possess many of the qualities you'd want to see in a head coach (Intelligent, capable of motivating players, tries to build schemes around his players' strengths instead of forcing round pegs into square holes). I'm also encouraged by the fact that the Lions didn't even bother to interview McDaniels, which means (hopefully) that Quinn isn't just trying to blindly steal some of Belichick's magic-he has a firm idea of what he wants the next coach of the Lions to be, and Patricia just happens to be the one to best fit that mold.

In the end, if it does go through, I'm cautiously optimistic about the hire. Pats coordinators have a deservedly bad rap, but Quinn has done a pretty good job as GM of the Lions thus far and Patricia doesn't seem to have any glaring red flags.

Of course I'm sure I'm going to look back and sigh at this post when the Lions go 3-13 next year, but c'est la vie.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Honestly with Head coaches hiring I think the focus should be more on what coordinators they hire, since that's what really made Sean McVay so good this year.

Matt Patricia's defenses have definitely had some weird voodoo that breaks football logic with how few points they give up compared to yardage / conversions, but... who is he likely to bring in to handle the offense?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that the Lions are unfixable.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

The X-man cometh posted:

The Vikings offense didn't get better last year after Norv left, it wasn't all him.

That's a bit simplistic. You can't change the scheme halfway through the season and i think that's proven by how well Shurmur's done this year

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Kalli posted:

Honestly with Head coaches hiring I think the focus should be more on what coordinators they hire, since that's what really made Sean McVay so good this year.

Matt Patricia's defenses have definitely had some weird voodoo that breaks football logic with how few points they give up compared to yardage / conversions, but... who is he likely to bring in to handle the offense?

I'd argue that the plan is to keep Jim Bob Cooter.

One interesting twinkle is that Patricia has some offensive coaching experience too.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Kalli posted:

There's been rumors that he may keep on Jim Bob Cooter as OC, which honestly I'd be fine with-so long as he finds out a way to fix the goddamn running game.

Edit:

Adun posted:

That's a bit simplistic. You can't change the scheme halfway through the season and i think that's proven by how well Shurmur's done this year

Eh, there are things you CAN do-to use the aforementioned JBC as an example, when Lombardi was fired and JBC was promoted halfway through 2015, JBC basically tossed out a large chunk of the playbook that wasn't working and modified the rest to better fit the Lions' players. The result was that after starting the season 1-7 (Lombardi getting fired after Week 7), the Lions went 6-2 to finish out at 7-9. It wasn't all JBC (the competition weakened significantly after the first eight games, which probably had more to do with it than anything else), but he did to a lot to return the offense to a functional state.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 14, 2018

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
If McDaniels should take the Colts job 3 out of 4 AFC South teams will have either a GM or HC from the Belichick tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
In total fairness the Vikings' o-line sucked so hard last year that it didn't matter what kind of scheme change you forced mid-season or not. Minnesota's done very well in building a functional one this year.

• Locked thread