Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
And generally in software development you have a long lead up time, a shorter beta period wherein bugs get worked out, then release

Being in beta for years would be just as weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Exactly what constitutes a Beta phase is a bit arbitrary and varies from program to program. I think everyone in this thread can attest that it's not like the game is monstrously buggy or missing clearly advertised features or anything. I'm really happy with the game.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

wit posted:

I think you're allowed to release a game after 5 years.

I highly encourage you to actually read my post before replying

Azhais posted:

generally in software development you have a long lead up time, a shorter beta period wherein bugs get worked out, then release

A fair point I guess. It just seems like a pretty short amount of time to have actually worked out even most of the bugs and kinks.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Honestly i cant really think of any bugs ive run into, even back at the start. Theres balance issues i think, but this is a game where that doesnt matter a whole lot. All the obvious additions i could think of are already handled by modders besides world map stuff, and maybe a better combat system. But like somebody else mentioned i think he was going for streamlined harsh rogue like game and it kinda turned into something different for the fans through mods. I think he accomplished what he set out to do and the game is everything he said it would be and then some.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Nice double post Awful app

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

DogonCrook posted:

Honestly i cant really think of any bugs ive run into, even back at the start. Theres balance issues i think, but this is a game where that doesnt matter a whole lot. All the obvious additions i could think of are already handled by modders besides world map stuff, and maybe a better combat system. But like somebody else mentioned i think he was going for streamlined harsh rogue like game and it kinda turned into something different for the fans through mods. I think he accomplished what he set out to do and the game is everything he said it would be and then some.

Yeah the game is pretty much everything I could ask for for the cost and time investment, and the enormous mod scene goes even further beyond that.

The game is pretty much done barring some UI tweaks and additional Caravan stuff, the rest is just gravy.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

wit posted:

Just to keep everyone up to speed, we're discussing whether or not dementia and drug addiction will affect your blind tailless dog who drags people to safety and rips the legs off wolves in a single bite. Turns out that no, while animals can get senile dementia and drug addictions they do not go through withdrawals in the same way humans do.

What's missing though is when people make overcrowded barns the muffalo should start having stereotypical behaviors like regularly bonking their heads against the same wall or designating one muffalo that everyone sequentially humps.... or if you keep your dogs underground for too long they start chewing the beds apart out of boredom.

Or that cats should just preferentially seek out anything that makes them high, because cats.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I took a bunch of PUBG creates and sold them and bought Rimworld.

I'm pretty bad at Rimworld.

My first game I got to winter but didn't have enough meals prepared and was way too late to figure out refrigeration so I starved.

My second game I had a herd of bloodthirsty Gazelle manhunters attack my flegling little colony in the fall, like seriously 8 of them at once, way more than I could deal with. I had to figure out the impossibly bad restriction interface to lock everyone inside, but my hunter with the gimp leg was trapped out in the wilderness while the gazelles swarmed around my base like angry bees. He was much too slow to be able to make a dash for safety, so I had to keep him recruited and hiding for like two days so he wouldn't get gazelle'd while he was starving to death and hitting the verge of exhaustion, and everyone inside was constantly going stir crazy and binge eating due to the stress of being locked in a room for days.

I got my revenge though, eventually the whole herd went to sleep so I sent everyone out with knives to kill them one by one, and butchered them for their precious meats and skins to replenish my larder.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lockback posted:

So, one thing about the majority of the QoL mods is they make the game easier, which is a balance issue. Things like Hand me that Brick make construction easier, while mods that add fuses essentially eliminate entire crisis scenarios that need to be otherwise dealt with. The game works as a sandbox, but it has an end goal and the game is designed to make managing the colony continually a little bit harder to drive you to those goals.

I'm not saying using mods is wrong or anything, but "Vanilla" as it stands would have balance issues if a dozen QoL mods were woven into the game. I think most of us fire those up when we want to pursue different challenges and want to waive away some of the micromanagement which is part of the "standard" game challenge. But we're 40, 60, 200 hours into the game and not learning it for the first time.

I play with a dozen or so mods, so this isn't a "PURITY OF THE GAME" post, but more that its better to make the game balanced for hours 0-40 then add mods that make that curve less interesting.

A lot of that though you could probably fix just with the scenario editor. So if you use hand me that brick, modify work-to-build by +50% or something.

Most of the QoL stuff is just stuff that doesn't make sense and serves to slow things down, so you could make it make sense and then make it take longer if it's a balance issue.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Scoss posted:

I took a bunch of PUBG creates and sold them and bought Rimworld.

I'm pretty bad at Rimworld.

My first game I got to winter but didn't have enough meals prepared and was way too late to figure out refrigeration so I starved.

My second game I had a herd of bloodthirsty Gazelle manhunters attack my flegling little colony in the fall, like seriously 8 of them at once, way more than I could deal with. I had to figure out the impossibly bad restriction interface to lock everyone inside, but my hunter with the gimp leg was trapped out in the wilderness while the gazelles swarmed around my base like angry bees. He was much too slow to be able to make a dash for safety, so I had to keep him recruited and hiding for like two days so he wouldn't get gazelle'd while he was starving to death and hitting the verge of exhaustion, and everyone inside was constantly going stir crazy and binge eating due to the stress of being locked in a room for days.

I got my revenge though, eventually the whole herd went to sleep so I sent everyone out with knives to kill them one by one, and butchered them for their precious meats and skins to replenish my larder.

You're actually really good at RimWorld, because you get kickass stories to tell about it.

Everyone dying slow, miserable deaths in piles of filth and gore while having mental break downs is a part of the charm.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I'm at about year 3 with my tribal desert colony. Things are coming along well - we have basic electricity and AC, a concrete outer perimeter wall, and a nice killbox w/ trap hallway (no turrets yet though.) Our livestock include a pack of well trained, occasionally helpful huskies, a small herd of camels for milk and camelhair, and a few boomalopes to supply fuel for the generators. There's enough arable soil within the perimeter to maintain a healthy supply of food, wood, and devilstrand. Things are going splendidly.

All of this has attracted more attention from the raiders, which my colonists have performed admirably against. No major injuries since the last liver-puncturing incident, and I've been repeatedly grateful that I did that transplant to save that guy - who has, in time, become a competent doctor as well as builder. One of my top colonists. Why, he even replaced both my pothead's cancer ridden lungs, no hitches.

And the donor had half his sentence commuted per lung! (It was a life sentence.)

Which brings us back to the raiders. We have a tradition of waste not want not here in Barren Sands, so fallen raiders are reprocessed into PETA approved pet kibble. My colonists are understandably squeamish about this, so for awhile I was rotating my colonists after a raid, having each butcher 1 corpse, to keep any one person from taking too much of a mood hit. That's when I noticed the good Doctor... didn't have any issues with that particular duty. Apparently having the Bloodlust trait means you really, uh, lust for blood. Who knew?

That's also when I noticed he really enjoys wearing his human leather pants. Which he got from somewhere. God knows.

Long story short, Dr. Byrd, as everyone is now very careful to call him, is the colony's official doctor, surgeon, and now butcher. Sometimes all at once!

Edit: state of the colony

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I just don't understand what is space Western about colonies like that. I cannot imagine people like that being in Firefly, much less as protagonists.

Amperor
Oct 27, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I just don't understand what is space Western about colonies like that. I cannot imagine people like that being in Firefly, much less as protagonists.

You're not the protagonists, you're the Reavers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Really my penchant for building immaculately paved mountain bunker vaults is probably not very space western either but I like that the game lets you do it.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Yeah the setting in my mind is much closer to Mad Max than Firefly.

Especially the parts about blood bags.

FWIW, my previous playthrough was much nicer and this go round I'm embracing a more neutral evil path.

Edit: the game's mechanics implying that personally harvesting organs from from live captives is roughly as harmful to the psyche as, say, eating a bad dinner is pretty hilarious in contrast to the effects of smoking / drinking a few times and becoming a full blown D.A.R.E. style addict

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 17, 2018

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Amperor posted:

You're not the protagonists, you're the Reavers.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

wit posted:

I think you're allowed to release a game after 5 years.

Someone tell Chris Roberts that

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Looks like tiberium mod updated itself automatically? Art assets and buildings changed so now there's errors every time I start up. Really like my current colony, would prefer not to start over.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I think at some point very early in the game's development, Tynan decided they wanted to make a post-apocalyptic game instead of a space-western and so the soundtrack and the dusters are just leftover parts of the original concept.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
On one hand, brachiosauruses are far from the most ideal animals for the colony, they breed slowly, takes ages to mature, have big stomachs and won't even loving haul.

On the other, my herd of them literally stomped a nest to death.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Pet meat shields are amazing. If you get an absolute horde (usually chickens, there's YouTube videos) or have something super tanky and get a little twitchy with the micromanaging finger and pet allowed zones during a raid it can be brutally effective. I have a hilariously battle-scarred pet Thrumbo that just wanders the rest of the map and isn't allowed in my compound 99% of the time, then when raids come in its peek-a-Thrumbo and laugh at all the friendly fire.

Has to be at least four or five times I've rescued him from being downed after a fight. Things have ridiculous hit points so they go down but not die pretty often and he's given my medic a hilarious amount of experience to boot. Actually kinda fond of him now.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

bird food bathtub posted:

Looks like tiberium mod updated itself automatically? Art assets and buildings changed so now there's errors every time I start up. Really like my current colony, would prefer not to start over.

I commented on Steam for this, but when he was doing stuff, he changed the case of the terrain texture folder from upper case to lower case. Rename "textures\terrain\" to "textures\Terrain" will fix the issue with the GDI and Nod tiles showing up as red missing asset squares. The other errors should be fairly minor and workable.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
OK so I know I'm like the kid who just discovered Pokemon and can't shut up about how awesome it is, BUT I just had a super cool experience last night when my first infestation occurred in the far north of my base. I did a tribal start and at this point I still have barely any decent weapons (bolt-action rifle being my hard-hitter), 8 colonists (2 of whom are brawlers and 1 other who I couldn't risk because they are A)old and B)incredible at everything), and no idea that infestations even were a thing. Surprise! I have a bad habit of ruining games like this by immediately Google min-maxing everything and taking the joy out of it, so I've been very, very light on looking things up, mainly just poo poo like "how do I make my crafters drop things" and "why the gently caress can't I bury this rotting corpse God drat it." So it was quite a shock when my last, still-under-construction bedroom suddenly erupted in slime and alien bugs.

But the game itself gives you a lot of info on enemies, so I check these Zerg out. There's 3 Star-Trek-II giant earworm "stelopedes," 3 "megascarabs," and, most ominously, the "megaspider." Sounds like these guys are coo- ... oh... an armored bladed nightmare the size of a bear that lives to kill, eh. poo poo.

I still have no idea wtf is going on but there are 2 "hives" that say "reproducing in 5 days." That sounds bad. These things don't open doors, though, so that's good. I start trying to figure out how the gently caress I'm going to kill them. I have a rifle and a revolver and a bunch of loving short bows and clubs. I look at their info again. How can I kill them without having to fight them? I'm under a mountain... can I cause a cave-in? I don't know how and I don't have any explosives. gently caress. Wait a second... maximum comfortable temperature 50C eh. Maybe I can roast them? If they're uncomfortable will they beat down a door? How hot could I get it? I have lots of stuff that will burn but no way to burn it.

So I coat the floor at that end of the hall with campfires (since I have no molotov, incendiary of any kind, etc.) and, not yet knowing these loving things have a little secret, mine until there's a 1 block width of slate between them and me. The plan is to build 4-5 AC and set them to vent into the (slimy and disgusting 6x6) room while burning these 12 campfires in the 2x6 hallway outside. I've set the door to the room to remain open to let the heat in and made another to run through screaming. My toughest, fastest colonist is going to throw open the bug door, charge back down the hall to where I built the non-staying-open door, and run through it. The colonists in the new room I mined below the bug room to hold the ACs is then gonna flip the switch and hopefully start roasting these fuckers in their shells.

This may have been the worst plan in history but it's what I came up with with what I had at hand and without knowing anything about the nature of the threat aside from what you can get by clicking the i on their pane. I wonder if it would have worked? I never got to find out because surprise! Stelopedes can eat rock.

So I had my good shooting colonists prepared in case there was some kind of a gently caress-up. My base is a long, 2-wide hallway with rooms on one side and kitchen/dining/crafting rooms on the other, so I had guys in doorways with my rifle, pistol, and bows facing down the hallway toward the bugroom. The plan is about to be set in motion when I find out that these motherfuckers can eat rocks when one bites through the one-square wide wall in between bugroom and AC room. I pause the game in horror and realized I was about to watch my tribesmen very likely all die.

The first stelopede who ate the rock comes into the room, cutting off two of my colonists in the AC room. I accept they are dead. They start fighting the stelopede and the 2 megascarabs. The other two stelopedes wander, one at a time, into the hallway, where my guys open up on them, causing them to charge. About three seconds later, here comes the megaspider.

My animals charge up and form a cordon of bodies. Two turkeys and a monkey are holding back this tide while we are peppering them from the hallway. Both turkeys go down and the monkey goes down, unconscious but stable. Here comes the insect tide! gently caress gently caress gently caress.

My 2 brawlers, Ox (55 year old woman, the heart of the colony, best miner and builder I have, armed with a loving steel club I took off a dead raider) and Diamond (24 year old woman, beautiful, 14 melee with double flames, armed with a superior steel ikwa I took off a dead raider) step up and stem the tide. Both of them are getting their loving asses kicked but they keep fighting. One stelopede falls. THE MEGASPIDER FALLS! Diamond is getting torn to shreds. Ox has a sliver of life left. There are still 2 stelopedes alive, and 2 megascarabs. These have finished with the colonists in the AC room and are now coming down the hallway.

My two barbarian women hold them off long enough for 1 stelopede and 1 megascarab to die. Ox falls. Diamond falls. These last few things, bleeding slime and blood everywhere, surge down the hallway towards the last colonists, Thorn, Spirit, and Carica. Thorn and Carica are caught and fall into melee and start getting pulverized. Colony leader Spirit fires two more rounds, hits with both, and kills both bugs. Thorn immediately collapses, bleeding heavily.

The colony is a horror. There's blood everywhere. There's slime everywhere. There's mounded up bug corpses in a pile in the hall, destroyed furniture, weak cries for help from the survivors, including both in the AC room the survivors will have to climb over said corpses to get to. Carica, Spirit, and Eagle (the old woman I didn't want to risk) are who's left ambulatory.

Now Spirit is amazing, double passion for growing with green thumb and double passion for shooting, but she is also... incapable of caring. Carica is a healer (captured tribal) but is badly hurt with cuts on all 4 limbs. Eagle is an old woman (9 in medicine with one flame), and now it's pretty much left to her to treat 4 severely wounded people, 2 wounded people, and a half-dozen badly wounded animals. She goes to tend Ox and Diamond. Looking at their wounds I'm 100% sure both are going to die. The loss of Diamond would be bad, but losing Ox would really, really hurt. Malone (doctor) and Mincago, the AC room fighters, are both badly hurt. Mincago looks like he'll be okay, but I'm sure Malone is going to die. Spirit starts to clean up the blood and gore and Eagle understands why "incapable of" sucks so bad as she begins several days of non-stop medical care on all these wounded people.

Later that night, Diamond dies of blood loss, as does one of the hero turkeys who held the hallway for a few crucial seconds. Ox isn't getting any better, and neither is Malone. After one day of bed rest I force Carica up to help. Carica and Eagle barely sleep for several days, constantly prioritizing feeding and treating everyone. Ox hovers on a sliver of life for a week and then, miraculously starts to recover. Mincago wakes up and is well enough he can help. Malone stabilizes and begins to recover. So does Thorn.

Eagle, held out of combat due to her age and importance, has saved the colony with an assist from Carica.

Now it's a few months later. I'm still at the same 7 people in my colony who fought those beasts that night. The walls have been rebuilt and the colony expanded and improved, but the room the bugs came in and the AC room have been left alone as a memorial, slime, broken furniture, and all. Malone had a heart attack and has developed some health problems as a result of her wounds, but everyone else has recovered without lasting damage.

I buried Diamond outside next to the river under a willow tree and the colonists visit it frequently. A new hive appeared several weeks ago in a far-away cave loosely connected my colony. The hive is listed as "dormant-not reproducing," and it has an escort of 2 megaspiders who never walk more than 3-5 tiles away from it. It doesn't seem to be a threat, but there is so much the colonists don't know about these things.

They are monitoring the situation closely, and last night Carica brought something to the stockpile all the colonists had been looking forward to. It's a superior quality incendiary launcher, and it's gonna burn those bugs to ash if they come back wanting more. After putting it in the stockpile, he immediately went and visited Diamond's grave.

This is seriously the best $30 I've ever spent on any sort of entertainment. If you don't own this game you should BUY IT, and you should play it like me: in the dark, without Google, and finding things out the hard way.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
That story is amazing in so many ways and thank you so much for telling it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
hello friend reading my post, i am sure at this point you have seen the post two posts above mine

I KNOW YOU DIDNT READ IT ALL. GO BACK AND DO IT AGAIN.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

That story owns so hard and reminds me of my first few playthroughs where I played in similar manners.

One day I will be brave/stupid enough to turn bugs back on. But that is not today.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Do I need a mod to fix damaged hearing? My top 3 social dudes have somehow all lost an ear each in recent battles which has ruined their trading ability since they're obviously too stupid to just hold the orbital transmitter phone to their other ear or use sign language.

Power armour helmets look like they provide a more full-face protection so maybe future traders will get them?

JonathonSpectre posted:

This is seriously the best $30 I've ever spent on any sort of entertainment. If you don't own this game you should BUY IT, and you should play it like me: in the dark, without Google, and finding things out the hard way.

Tons o' Joy!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That story owns and this game owns, I fuckin love this thread

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 18, 2018

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I had a similar incident in one of my first colonies, where I had no idea bugs existed or what they could do. I hit upon a similar solution, but the opposite - they popped up in my internal storeroom with all my valuables which I didn't want to burn, but looking at the info panel I saw the hives were vulnerable to cold. I was playing with the climate control mod, which lets you build pipes and vents that are built into walls (instead of replacing them like vanilla vents), so I had the brilliant idea of thinning out the (thick) walls to be 1 tile wide, so my guys could reach to install vents from the opposite side, however that works, to freeze them out.

That is when I learned why thinning the walls was a bad idea.

It's also where I learned that a herd of tamed muffalos can be surprisingly effective in combat.

Edit:

Tortuga posted:

Do I need a mod to fix damaged hearing? My top 3 social dudes have somehow all lost an ear each in recent battles which has ruined their trading ability since they're obviously too stupid to just hold the orbital transmitter phone to their other ear or use sign language.

You can harvest ears from prisoners and transplant them.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 18, 2018

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I love reading Rimworld stories - you do you, JonathonSpectre. That was pretty neat. :-3

I’m playing on a flat coastal map - I’ve almost always done mountainous, so it’s a new feeling to need to wall in everything. I’ve been totally ignoring the possibility of bugs since there’s only a few mining areas that could even be big enough to have overhead mountain, so once I had a steady supply of concrete I made a thin cinder block bridge out to a large basalt outcropping way out into the lake where I could see petrified wood, steel, and gold at the edges, so I was excited to get those while seeing what else was there.

I’ve only recently discovered electricity, 3 years in, with tribal essentials and medieval times. My best weapon remains my trusty charge rifle I landed with, but I’ve managed to secure a converted bolt action rifle, a light support rifle, and an improvised rifle to support the crossbows and arbalests I’ve liberated from medieval war bands.

The mayor, a recruit from our early second year and recently elected, joined the mining crew out at the basalt rock island. As they hollowed out the mountain - and yeah, there were approximately 30 tiles of overhead mountain, maybe 1/5 the size of the overall outcropping - braziers were placed for light, though their heat wasn’t necessary, as it was newly spring after a hard winter cold snap, made worse by a distant volcanic eruption. The six miners made sure to leave good support braces to prevent cave ins, and the northern section had two thin connections to the main hollow to help keep the roof up, so was almost a separate room.

But then, of course, bugs. That was unexpected...

5 of the miners - including the mayor - ran for the opening where the thin bridge connected to the mainland. A spelopede caught up with the mayor and grabbed on. Luckily, a 17yo recruit of 4 days, armed with a boar spear, managed to land an excellent hit on the spelopede, massively damaging its spine and allowing everyone to get out...

...except for Milena. She was in the northern room when the bugs crawled out in the southern room, which had the bridge connected at the south east corner. She had been working on a small tunnel (2 wide) of her own and went to hide at the end of it, as there was no way she’d be able to get by the 5 hives, half dozen each of megascarabs and spelopedes (one injured...), and 3 megaspiders.

The rest of the colony mustered, and as the miners crossed the bridge a megaspider, most of the megascarabs, and 2 of the spelopedes followed in pursuit. 10 ranged colonists started putting down fire, and luckily only one injured spelopede made it across the bridge... and was quickly dispatched by a rifle butt to the thorax. The colonists started running across the bridge.

And then a megaspider found Milena. It rushed down the tunnel and she engaged it with her halberd. A spelopede and a megascarab nearby came rushing in. She fell to a flurry of claws and bites, but luckily no immediately permanent injuries.

It was at that time the colonists lined the southern room and opened fire on the remaining bugs, which ran to protect their hives. Two colonists were injured - one by friendly fire in the dim light - but the bugs were cleared. The colony lead doctor rushed to Milena... but instead of coming with the doctor she struggled up on her own and went off to drink some rum before heading to the hospital.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Looks like we're in a bit of a pinch

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yikes! That had to be the end of that colony. The fire's gonna spread everywhere unless that last megasloth goes down in 1 hit... Lilith's definitely dead... and why the hell is Burban running away?

Also holy poo poo you've got a lot of corn.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Boy my second winter is going very poorly. I ran completely out of food and medicine and a series of raids have left most of my colonists barely healthy and cycling nonstop out of hospital beds, infections everywhere. I had my first death to infection, and had to amputate the leg of another bad case, though he seems to get on just fine without it. Slaughtered almost all my animals for meat, I half supsect they might be the reason I suddenly ran out of food in the first place. I planted a hay pasture for them and everything, but they love my tasty human food more, the hungry bastards.

I had a horde of rats attack, which I gave 50/50 odds to them ending my colony, but I managed to triumph with only half my population knocked out from scratches and bites. Butchered them all for meat, a blessing in disguise! I'll make a rat leather toque for everyone who was wounded and survived.

One of my original 3 colonists, a vatborn shocktrooper, is in a sorry state. He's big and beefy and good with weapons, problem is he took a shiv to the brain during a raid and now he's uh... a bit slow. As the larders run dry and infection runs through the halls, I'm not sure I can support everybody and I'm wondering if I can thin the herd a bit, but I can't bear to banish the poor guy. After his injury he's just kind of way too slow with guns, so now I give him a sword and stick him in the front lines at the sandbags when raiders attack. He goes down every time, and I half hope the raiders will finish him for good, but the bastard is unkillable and always comes back. Makes it even harder to banish him, he wants to live so badly!

Scoss fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 19, 2018

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
I launched a boomalope last night into space. Cool song. I hope raiders find the ship and it explodes

YOTC fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 19, 2018

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

Yikes! That had to be the end of that colony. The fire's gonna spread everywhere unless that last megasloth goes down in 1 hit... Lilith's definitely dead... and why the hell is Burban running away?

Also holy poo poo you've got a lot of corn.

Somehow they everyone survived with only the loss a Yorkshire Terrier who failed to evac to the back of the house in time.

After that screen I led the megasloth back into the lounge and deployed the three huskies I'd been holding back from the initial fight, Keegs then had time to run back into the armoury and brush the fire off Lilith. The huskies killed one of the surviving megasloths and fire took the other (offscreen). Dowsing the fires in the aftermath was touch and go for a minute, but a rainy thunderstorm ended up putting out the spreading exterior fires whilst my two surviving conscious pawns dealt with the interior fires. In the post-battle cleanup everyone ended up being safely rescued with the worst injury being a severed leg.

I'm just amazed using the incendiary launcher inside my base actually worked, after my combat team went down in the lounge I thought that was GG for the colony. In the end the day was won by a pawn with a shooting skill of 1.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

That's awesome.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I hope you build that incendiary hero a fitting bedroom as a reward.

Anyone else kinda wish you could take animal heads as trophies for special occasions like this?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Best you can do is a big armchair of the appropriate leather.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm currently paring back my comically oversized corn fields, I'll post with the updated base once the renovations are completed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Do you have a mod that changed the stack size on that corn to 750?