Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

The kett invade your castle and it turns out thedas was just a planet in the andromeda galaxy

Don't quote my fanfiction without prior approval.

Was it dragon age dlc armor you got in mass effect or the othet way around? I remember some cosmetic crossover free dlc.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
DA in ME 2/3.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

You could get a kingdoms of amalur armor too; and reciprocally there was a KoA weapon that looked like omniblades

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There's a statue of an Ogre in ME2

Thedas is canonically in the ME universe

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

precision posted:

Or, the dragon age video games are

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Ainsley McTree posted:

You could get a kingdoms of amalur armor too; and reciprocally there was a KoA weapon that looked like omniblades
It was a gun, the Chakram Launcher. Made by AmaLur ( :haw: ).

precision posted:

And a Krogan head in DAI.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Darkspawn? Made by the Elven god Mor'Din

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SubponticatePoster posted:

It was a gun, the Chakram Launcher. Made by AmaLur ( :haw: ).

And a Krogan head in DAI.

Wasn’t there armor in me3 too? The blue and yellow one. Or was that from a different game?

E: just remembered google exists http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Reckoner_Knight_Armor

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I got Kingdoms of Amalur for free and it seemed like a perfectly serviceable action-RPG, but I got bored and never really got far.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

SubponticatePoster posted:

I'm fine with paying $15 for 4-8 hours of content in a game I enjoy :shrug: If you feel like that's a ripoff then you can wait for the GOTY or not buy it at all. It's miles better than $3 for a box of random poo poo.
I'm also good with DLC as long as its even halfway good. Awakening, Stone Prisoner, Tresspasser, Descent? Loved them all. Fallout4 DLC was the only one recently that rubbed me wrong. Two real ones and a few bs workshop BS. gently caress lootboxes though.

exquisite tea posted:

That dude who sat in your camp with the quest marker over his head until you bought DLC is still one of the scummiest moneygrubbing moves in all gaming history.

Wait... did that happen? Did I forget that? Yeah that would make me perturbed.

Pattonesque posted:

Man, the animation on his reaction is approx. 10 million times better than anything in Andromeda
Yeah the crash and burn of the ME franchise was hilariously epic.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Von_Doom posted:

If I had to guess, it was probably Levi Dryden from the Soldier's Peak DLC.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 26, 2018

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

precision posted:

I got Kingdoms of Amalur for free and it seemed like a perfectly serviceable action-RPG, but I got bored and never really got far.

Yea, unfortunately it had such a huge budget they needed it to be the next wow killer instead of just serviceable.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Avalerion posted:

Yea, unfortunately it had such a huge budget they needed it to be the next wow killer instead of just serviceable.

I won't lie, looking at all the games that have been called "The next WoW-killer", I've come to think the term is relatively synonymous with "Perfectly serviceable".

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Avalerion posted:

Kingdoms of Amalur was a scam to steal millions of dollars from the taxpayers of Rhode Island.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That was the cancelled MMO project supposed to follow up Kingdoms of Amalur, not the game itself which 38 Studios had very little to do with.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/09/years-after-bankruptcy-curt-schilling-settles-rhode-island-gaming-loans/

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

HIJK posted:

I don't know how EA plans to ruin Dragon Age but I'm sure it'll be bad

this. my best hope is they make a more action based system. inquestion was ok but i need a witcher /asscreed origins type combat.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

NeurosisHead posted:

Kingdoms of Amalur was a scam to steal millions of dollars from the taxpayers of Rhode Island.

Having been to Providence, I say, good.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Von_Doom posted:

Not only was the quest giver present even if you didn't have the DLC, but he would give you the intro to the quest as if you could do it. I first played DA:O on PS3 and it popped up a playstation store menu in the middle of the conversation.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

precision posted:

It's really got something to it with the visually popping palette. There were tons of bright and vibrant colors you don't normally see in the realistic looking fantasy games. Its one of those games where the main quest is kind of boring/drags you along but the side quests have so much creativity and life in them that you remember them better. The desert area is still a shithole but that's most desert games in general.

It was really easy to break the game by over-leveling but if you felt like making it difficult for yourself or just have more combat fun you could bind way more abilities to the KB+M then the gamepad and really go nuts with a hybrid class character. The gamepad design was built around only using 4-8 abilities at a time and hybrid mage/warriors could be using 10-12.

It's like the Batman Arkham/Shadows of Mordor combat system; you can disable all the visual queues and hints and suddenly its not that much harder but you feel like you're really getting some sense of a challenge where there wasn't before.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 26, 2018

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So, I have just confirmed for myself that when going into the Battle of Denerim at the end of Origins, it is necessary to disable the "Qunari Update" mod that makes them look like DA2 Qunari.

It crashes the game in that area - if not during that initial City Gates fight (where your entire party is present as AI allies), then when you talk to Riordan. I shall now check if I can reactivate it now that I've left to take out the two Generals...

EDIT: Welp, crashed when I got to the Alienage and tried to talk to Shianni. I think I'm just gonna keep it off for the rest of the finale. Sadface.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 26, 2018

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. my best hope is they make a more action based system. inquestion was ok but i need a witcher /asscreed origins type combat.

Considering how awful combat in those games is, that wpuld be a novel way to ruin the franchise I grant you.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Randallteal posted:

Not only was the quest giver present even if you didn't have the DLC, but he would give you the intro to the quest as if you could do it. I first played DA:O on PS3 and it popped up a playstation store menu in the middle of the conversation.

On the PC the character actually said that you could buy the DLC. Which was loving weird and a good way to take you out of the game.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

pentyne posted:

It's really got something to it with the visually popping palette. There were tons of bright and vibrant colors you don't normally see in the realistic looking fantasy games. Its one of those games where the main quest is kind of boring/drags you along but the side quests have so much creativity and life in them that you remember them better. The desert area is still a shithole but that's most desert games in general.

It was really easy to break the game by over-leveling but if you felt like making it difficult for yourself or just have more combat fun you could bind way more abilities to the KB+M then the gamepad and really go nuts with a hybrid class character. The gamepad design was built around only using 4-8 abilities at a time and hybrid mage/warriors could be using 10-12.

It's like the Batman Arkham/Shadows of Mordor combat system; you can disable all the visual queues and hints and suddenly its not that much harder but you feel like you're really getting some sense of a challenge where there wasn't before.

It was honestly a pretty fun game if you didn't expect the best RPG ever made or whatever. The music, colors, and whimsical nature of everything really helped make it stand out compared to every other grim or serious RPG. The combat was neat too as long as you didn't craft and one shot literally everything.

gently caress Curt Shilling though

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

omg chael crash posted:

It was honestly a pretty fun game if you didn't expect the best RPG ever made or whatever. The music, colors, and whimsical nature of everything really helped make it stand out compared to every other grim or serious RPG. The combat was neat too as long as you didn't craft and one shot literally everything.

gently caress Curt Shilling though

Agreed. Amalur was decent enough game, but it was severely hampered by the fact that it was meant to just be a precursor to an MMORPG and played like one. Meaning massive areas filled with repetitive quests and characters that I cannot be bothered to remember. Combine that with the incredible arrogance of its makers and you end up with one of the biggest disasters in gaming history.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Good lord, why did I put myself through that.

I just beat Jarvia... at level Nine... without Wynne. Party was Me (sword&board), Leliana, Morrigan, and Sten. Morrigan does not have a heal either. If she did not have Force Field, I guarantee I would not have been able to pull it off.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

BlazetheInferno posted:

Good lord, why did I put myself through that.

I just beat Jarvia... at level Nine... without Wynne. Party was Me (sword&board), Leliana, Morrigan, and Sten. Morrigan does not have a heal either. If she did not have Force Field, I guarantee I would not have been able to pull it off.

I've never tried going to Orzammar first. That sounds pretty rough, although if you use DLC gear it should be manageable.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Ginette Reno posted:

I've never tried going to Orzammar first. That sounds pretty rough, although if you use DLC gear it should be manageable.

Trying out Improved Atmosphere for the first time, so not as much DLC gear as you might expect. Part of me wonders if the Improved Atmosphere stuff buffed the Jarvia fight in any way, or if that's just the infamous Orzammar difficulty at work.

I had to make sure either Jarvia was controlled with stuns or Horror, or my Warden/tank was protected with Force Field at all times, or she would dismantle him in seconds. Like, literally seconds. She can kill the sturdiest member of my party from full health in less time than it takes for a health poultice to cool down. Many a reset was forced because she resisted a stun or horror at the wrong time.

Thank god for Force Field not removing any aggro the friendly target may have.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Geostomp posted:

Agreed. Amalur was decent enough game, but it was severely hampered by the fact that it was meant to just be a precursor to an MMORPG and played like one. Meaning massive areas filled with repetitive quests and characters that I cannot be bothered to remember. Combine that with the incredible arrogance of its makers and you end up with one of the biggest disasters in gaming history.

Again, the financial disaster was Schlling's brainchild MMO Project Copernicus that never came to fruition. 38 Studios was formed to create that project, and KoA was a currently in-development RPG from another studio that they absorbed relatively late into its development cycle. KoA was a modest success, it just couldn't save them from the endless pit of money that was their failed MMO. The project leads at 38 never actually released their own game.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Just beat the game again and all the Elven lore stuff is so good.

Also, Corpheus was 100% supposed to attack Skyhold but (I guess) they ran out of time.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Popping in to say I loved Amalur. It was a great game to pick up to kill a few hours once a week, and I was so sad when I ran out of content. It’s a seriously underrated game.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Xibanya posted:

Popping in to say I loved Amalur. It was a great game to pick up to kill a few hours once a week, and I was so sad when I ran out of content. It’s a seriously underrated game.

Glad to see some love for this game, because I remember back when it was one of the "never ever discounted" games and AmazonTony was literally coordinating with government employees in Rhode Island trying to get approval to do a seasonal discount for KoA.

As far as games go, you can clearly see where the money went, because there are so many voice overs they clearly put time and effort into, especially the lore stones, which sound like they rehearsed, recorded, and went back until it was perfect.

All of the major sidequests are actually engaging, because so much of the material is fully voiced and the VAs really went all in to sell the story and try to emote like they'd get a major acting part from the exposure.

D&D grand author R.A Salvatore got paid a ton of money to create the universe and lore, and Drizzt jokes aside he clearly made an effort to make something unique and interesting with the Sidhe and underlying lore. Granted all the potential fizzled out since nothing came of it but I imagine there was a 500 page document on the lore detailing how they planned to launch the MMO.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Just finished Jaws of Hakkon again. I forgot what uptick in difficulty that is from the base game. Even with my KE in full crafted gear I could still get one shot or two shot by a lot of those enemies on Nightmare. I shudder to think what that would be like with the Walk Softly trial on.

Hakkon himself was actually a pushover though. The Hakkonite soldiers are much tougher since their damage can knock you out in a second on Nightmare.

Doing Descent now and then Trespasser and then I'll be done. I even did most of the collection quests although I held off on finishing the Mosaics/Bottles because gently caress it. The Shards at least had a tangible benefit. KE's still own btw. With a crafted staff and fire mine/Winter's Grasp I have basically perma barriers up and pretty good damage. The only enemies that can challenge me now are ones that do so much damage that they can chew through my barrier in seconds (Hakkonites). Anything that damages at a more gradual rate is cake since the barrier recharges so quickly.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I never tried Knight Enchanter but I had fun with the Champion Spec of the Warrior Class, especially with the skill that taunts the enemy to deal and take more damage. It made one-on-one dueling pretty fun.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

SgtSteel91 posted:

I never tried Knight Enchanter but I had fun with the Champion Spec of the Warrior Class, especially with the skill that taunts the enemy to deal and take more damage. It made one-on-one dueling pretty fun.

It's pretty fun. Good group damage and basically invulnerability against 99% of enemies. Once I geared up nothing in the base game could touch me. That's true for most classes though I guess.

I had fun with a Tempest Rogue previously. You can kill Dragons in under a minute with those by spamming abilities with flasks.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Ginette Reno posted:

It's pretty fun. Good group damage and basically invulnerability against 99% of enemies. Once I geared up nothing in the base game could touch me. That's true for most classes though I guess.

I had fun with a Tempest Rogue previously. You can kill Dragons in under a minute with those by spamming abilities with flasks.

What do you recommend for a KE? I'm only about level 14, about to do Adamant, but damage-reduction-wise I'm not doing so good. How does your perma-barrier thing work? I have a guard on hit staff which is my go-to.

Tempest was hilarious fun, easily the most fun I've had playing the game.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

eating only apples posted:

What do you recommend for a KE? I'm only about level 14, about to do Adamant, but damage-reduction-wise I'm not doing so good. How does your perma-barrier thing work? I have a guard on hit staff which is my go-to.

Tempest was hilarious fun, easily the most fun I've had playing the game.

Fire mine with flaming array is your bread and butter. Also grab Winter's Grasp and the upgrade that makes it do 1000% weapon damage when they are frozen. Grab the ability that makes you invuln for 2 seconds and 1000% weapon damage if you materialize inside enemies as well. Fade cloak.

Then buy a tier 3 staff recipe from the Black Emporium and craft it asap. Lightning is probably the best element. Few enemies seem resistant to it. Combat for me is usually get close (Fade step is nice for this), drop down a flaming array, and as soon as one of those hits my barrier is full up because they hit for thousands of damage. Winters grasp is a nice single target DPS spell as well as if you hit enemies already frozen with it it does massive damage.

But basically I spam flaming array as much as possible. I also use Immolate for some more damage.

The key is the crafted staff though because your abilities depend on weapon damage percentages. So the more base DPS your staff does the better your spells will hit. Also craft for a ton of critical percentage too if you can. Get your crit chance over 50% because crits are great for Mages. There's a lot of abilities you can skill up to which help you with crits. Constantly critting keeps your barrier up too.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 13, 2018

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Do you guys craft gear for all your party members or just the Inquisitor? It seemed like so much work to make stuff for everyone that I let them all use whatever the best scavenged loot was

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

Do you guys craft gear for all your party members or just the Inquisitor? It seemed like so much work to make stuff for everyone that I let them all use whatever the best scavenged loot was

Yep, also made sure to color coordinate them with their "signature" colors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

VostokProgram posted:

Yeah, I usually do. You certainly don't have to. For some party members it can make a big difference. God help you if you try to run Iron Bull or Cole without crafted gear, for example.